Best players distance iron

I’m still pretty smitten with the Cobra Forged Tecs, but haven’t tried any of the other current lines

Amp Forged perhaps.
S2 Forged is another one that was strong lofted, forged player style shape that was slightly larger.

But I think @JB is going an even different direction.

Oddly enough another one I think of is Srixon Z star iron and Nike VRS Forged…which I think hit 1 year prior to Callaway Apex(but I didn’t check the dates).
No, I think those cover it. Those are the three I was thinking of. I do think VRS forged hit one year before Apex. I think Apex made the category what it is, though.

The Apex came out in 2014, but I think the addition of the Cup Face on the 2016 version took it to the next level.
I don’t disagree…those were my GD irons.

No, I think those cover it. Those are the three I was thinking of. I do think VRS forged hit one year before Apex. I think Apex made the category what it is, though.
I think Apex really shined the light on the PD category. Then we saw what PXG/TM did and that opened up another avenue within said category. Now we have a wide selection for those who want to play an iron like this.

I think Apex really shined the light on the PD category. Then we saw what PXG/TM did and that opened up another avenue within said category. Now we have a wide selection for those who want to play an iron like this.
Agree. Those Cobra irons were so ahead of their time

I don’t disagree…those were my GD irons.
My GD irons were Rogue Pro, because I already had a set of Apex CF16.

I do love the Zx5 but I submit for consideration Edel SMS irons.

i think it's srixon zx5 for me
Clayton Keller Hockey GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

The Caley Golf irons that have foam in them

Other than that, it has to be P790 right? I feel like they kind of invented this category
PXG would say that TaylorMade stole PXG’s technology to “invent” the P790.

I’d lean in that direction with it. There are two CBs and an MB ahead of it.
the reason for me that Apex doesn't sit in the GI group is because they created the Apex DCB. I don't know what the future is for Apex, but if they continue with the DCB, that lineup is going to be 5 deep. I'm here for it.

i mean i guess they're more distance-y than their more players-y category (king cb/mb, t100). but in the player's distance category i think they'd be much more players-y than distance-y.

-y
Lots of -y going on in this interchange. I feel the same as you. The lines get blurry, but I don’t see the P790 as the same type of iron as the T150 or King Tour, although they both generate some good ball speed. To me, it would be like saying the T150=T200 and the King Tour=King Forged Tec.

the reason for me that Apex doesn't sit in the GI group is because they created the Apex DCB. I don't know what the future is for Apex, but if they continue with the DCB, that lineup is going to be 5 deep. I'm here for it.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Lots of -y going on in this interchange. I feel the same as you. The lines get blurry, but I don’t see the P790 as the same type of iron as the T150 or King Tour, although they both generate some good ball speed. To me, it would be like saying the T150=T200 and the King Tour=King Forged Tec.
that's why I hate iron classification. @JB and I have been having that conversation for over a decade.

I agree, though it is murky.

Hitting the T150 versus the P790 you don't get a sense they are the "same" type of iron.

That being said the T150 are a players club, and are long

I don't really know what "player's distance" means really

To my eye there are some OEMs whose PD iron has more game improvement potential than their GI iron

Came down to P790 and T200 when I was last demoing... loved both but went with the P790s and still absolutely love them.

Do they come with a slice of pizza and a Diet Coke?
Forget player distance irons now I want to go to Costco for a slice and a soda

I’d be shocked if it stopped at 5 now that they are separate.

Back