Best players distance iron

the reason for me that Apex doesn't sit in the GI group is because they created the Apex DCB. I don't know what the future is for Apex, but if they continue with the DCB, that lineup is going to be 5 deep. I'm here for it.
Seems like the old fashioned Apex Apex iron is a thing of the past no?

I had the ZX7 as my gamers for a couple of years and I hate to say it but..... I've got my Signatures in the bag right now and I'm loving them... (holy run on sentence)

This has been a fun read.

The 2020 Cobra Forged Tecs were my favorite. Sooooo good.

I’d guess the 245…

Lots of -y going on in this interchange. I feel the same as you. The lines get blurry, but I don’t see the P790 as the same type of iron as the T150 or King Tour, although they both generate some good ball speed. To me, it would be like saying the T150=T200 and the King Tour=King Forged Tec.
i agree-y-ee

I agree, though it is murky.

Hitting the T150 versus the P790 you don't get a sense they are the "same" type of iron.

That being said the T150 are a players club, and are long

I don't really know what "player's distance" means really
There are so many offerings now, categories become difficult. For me, “players distance,” will always mean the irons that are hollow, often filled with foam or some other dampening material, and are made to look like a blade. As you posted previously in the thread, the P790s really caused this type of iron to explode in the marketplace. However, most also place the Srixon 5 series and the Apex/Apex DCBs within the category as well, but they are not what come to my mind’s eye when thinking “players distance.”

It is interesting that one of the preeminent club fitters put out a video on players distance iron and the content included offerings such as ZX7, Apex Pro, T150, King Tour, a PXG cavity, and i230s.

I think the 2020 Forged Tec will hold this place in my mind.

Design is moving to a point now that is much more muddy so I’m not sure I could clearly point to one moving forward in this ‘catagory’

that's why I hate iron classification. @JB and I have been having that conversation for over a decade.
Exactly. Take a look at p790 that many have named. Then take a look at AeroJet and tell me what the difference is to put them in different categories.

There are so many offerings now, categories become difficult. For me, “players distance,” will always mean the irons that are hollow, often filled with foam or some other dampening material, and are made to look like a blade. As you posted previously in the thread, the P790s really caused this type of iron to explode in the marketplace. However, most also place the Srixon 5 series and the Apex/Apex DCBs within the category as well, but they are not what come to my mind’s eye when thinking “players distance.”
Srixon themselves place the 5 in the players distance category on their website. I dont put my DCBs there, but they sure are cannons that retain a good bit of workability, albeit easier left than right.

I think the opposite.. I think this is the where irons are headed..

Was thinking this as well. Even more so perhaps when the ball roll back comes.

It is interesting that one of the preeminent club fitters put out a video on players distance iron and the content included offerings such as ZX7, Apex Pro, T150, King Tour, a PXG cavity, and i230s.

If those are all "players distance" than the category has jumped the shark and is just everything IMO. There are basically just pure players clubs and players distance. Only 2 categories.

Yeah for me the P790 whether they were first or not. There was a year 80% of my club had P790

Exactly. Take a look at p790 that many have named. Then take a look at AeroJet and tell me what the difference is to put them in different categories.
Space goo

The pioneer of this category that comes to my mind is Srixon Z-Stars. I loved those things. The VRS were another great option.

This is a great category and I like that it's broad. In some ways you can boil it down to specs/performance, but I think it's as much about how it makes the consumer "feel" than anything.

The best player's iron for distance is probably the one with the strongest lofts. :)

The best player's iron for distance is probably the one with the strongest lofts. :)
It’s too early for your :poop: Sean hahaha

Srixon themselves place the 5 in the players distance category on their website. I dont put my DCBs there, but they sure are cannons that retain a good bit of workability, albeit easier left than right.
Yeah, I am not saying that the category is not broader than how I personally look at it. My only point is that for me, personally, PXG came out with the hollow body, goo filled iron that was a bit of a novelty (although certainly not the first hollow body, filled offering) and those were followed by the P790s and then suddenly, almost every OEM came out with a hollow body iron. It was that specific construction that I personally looked at as player distance.

Of course, the 5 series existed well before that trend and accomplished the same goal. Another way that I would distinguish the player distance category is those irons that retain a look that appeals to golfers who maybe once played true players irons or has a more traditional look, but are designed to generate more launch and speed than a player profile. They usually have less offset than a game improvement profile, perhaps are smaller, less junk in the trunk sticking out in the scoring irons, etc. The 5 series certainly fits this description. At some point, it all just becomes subjective and people throw a label on whatever they want.

Yeah, I am not saying that the category is not broader than how I personally look at it. My only point is that for me, personally, PXG came out with the hollow body, goo filled iron that was a bit of a novelty (although certainly not the first hollow body, filled offering) and those were followed by the P790s and then suddenly, almost every OEM came out with a hollow body iron. It was that specific construction that I personally looked at as player distance.

Of course, the 5 series existed well before that trend and accomplished the same goal. Another way that I would distinguish the player distance category is those irons that retain a look that appeals to golfers who maybe once played true players irons or has a more traditional look, but are designed to generate more launch and speed than a player profile. They usually have less offset than a game improvement profile, perhaps are smaller, less junk in the trunk sticking out in the scoring irons, etc. The 5 series certainly fits this description. At some point, it all just becomes subjective and people throw a label on whatever they want.
In theory most were producing a hollow body iron already. Cleveland was most likely first in the modern lineups with the MT and rebirth of 588

Back