Bill Haas... Lock for President's cup captain's pick?

Not really, the numbers are the numbers and Bradley is behind both of them in terms of points.

Of course he is. He only had 1 year to accumulate points rather than 2.

The winner of the Tour Championship and FedEx can't be left off can he?

Excellent question and I am thinking that he cannot be left off.

Personally, if I were the Captain, I would choose Bradley. He's long and accurate off the tee and is arguably the best putter out of the lot. You have to look at who works best for the team in order to secure points. At least that's what I would do. However, Freddy's already thrown that out the window by picking Tiger.

The winner of the Tour Championship and FedEx can't be left off can he?

Its the same as asking can the winner of the PGA CHampionship and other PGA Tour event be left off right?

Very good point, he a good year prior on Nationwide too, maybe Bradley would have made the team outright with 2 full years on tour.

The European Ryder Cup is points on a year qualifying, I'd assumed US Ryder and Presidents cup the same

Wasn't the scoring system revamped to ensure the "hot" golfers had a better shot to make the team? Yes, I still understand Bradley only had 1 year but I thought it was debated a few years ago and the system was updated.

Wasn't the scoring system revamped to ensure the "hot" golfers had a better shot to make the team? Yes, I still understand Bradley only had 1 year but I thought it was debated a few years ago and the system was updated.

Updated yes. But still not the same as having 2 full years. Look at the list. You could argue that for 2011, Bradley outplayed all of them. He has two wins with one of them being a major. Yes guys finished with a ton of top 10s (hello Kuchar), but some guys are winless. With two years of points, Bradley would have to play truly awful to not qualify. Someone really going to make the case that Jim Furyk outplayed Keegan Bradley this year? He is a lock for ROY and in talks for POY. Hard to then say the guy does not deserve to be in the top 12 especially when the pool is narrowed down to only US players.

Reading up it appears qualifying was revamped as you got 2 counting points per $1 for 2011 and 1 per $1 in 2009/10

Updated yes. But still not the same as having 2 full years. Look at the list. You could argue that for 2011, Bradley outplayed all of them. He has two wins with one of them being a major. Yes guys finished with a ton of top 10s (hello Kuchar), but some guys are winless. With two years of points, Bradley would have to play truly awful to not qualify. Someone really going to make the case that Jim Furyk outplayed Keegan Bradley this year? He is a lock for ROY and in talks for POY. Hard to then say the guy does not deserve to be in the top 12 especially when the pool is narrowed down to only US players.

Not sure how difficult it'd be but I'd like too see the numbers just based off this year. That might move him ahead of Snedeker in my mind. Maybe. However, as I've already said I'd take Woodland as a flyer pick and be the most controversial captain ever!

Jim Furyk shouldn't be playing.

TW will never man up and step down. Has he ever done the right thing? My pick is Bradley. Haas should also be there, but he accumulated points and won once. Bradley won twice with a Major!

Jim Furyk shouldn't be playing.

Furyk belongs there more than TW does. Furyk has at least won in the last year

Its the same as asking can the winner of the PGA CHampionship and other PGA Tour event be left off right?

I am not disagreeing with you on this. I think Furyk and Kuchar have less claim to a spot than Bradley and Haas is playing well right now. Major winners and the Tour Championship FedEx winner should be a lock. Points should decide the rest, no wildcard picks by the captains.

I am not disagreeing with you on this. I think Furyk and Kuchar have less claim to a spot than Bradley and Haas is playing well right now. Major winners and the Tour Championship FedEx winner should be a lock. Points should decide the rest, no wildcard picks by the captains.

Totally disagree with no captain picks. Adds debate and some personality to their captaincy.

Totally disagree with no captain picks. Adds debate and some personality to their captaincy.

Maybe, I just always tend to side with earning a spot rather than just by being a friend of Fred or Corey or whoever. We wouldn't be talking about TW being on the team if it were all about earned spots either through winning or by points.

Who's performed well since the end of the points count? Where would they be if the points stopped after the Tour Championship? That might give one a better idea of who's got the hot hand and who's cooled off. Keegan had 2 MC's and then 2 top 20's (T16, T11) in the last events he's played in. Haas went T24, T61, T16, 1.

As for Tiger. He's a captains pick. If he wins more than loses, he was a good captains pick. And in a match play form where not every shot matters, how could this not be a good format for him to play? Had he not had a few tournaments light schedule last year, and then a full schedule this year, who's to say he wouldn't have qualified on his own? Remember he played 9 holes from mid-April to the end of July. How many tournaments did he miss that he normally plays?

If it at all came down to the last group, last hole, and a putt to win the event: who do you want in that pressure situation? Tiger Woods? Or the guy who didn't get picked because of Tiger?

Who's performed well since the end of the points count? Where would they be if the points stopped after the Tour Championship? That might give one a better idea of who's got the hot hand and who's cooled off. Keegan had 2 MC's and then 2 top 20's (T16, T11) in the last events he's played in. Haas went T24, T61, T16, 1.

As for Tiger. He's a captains pick. If he wins more than loses, he was a good captains pick. And in a match play form where not every shot matters, how could this not be a good format for him to play? Had he not had a few tournaments light schedule last year, and then a full schedule this year, who's to say he wouldn't have qualified on his own? Remember he played 9 holes from mid-April to the end of July. How many tournaments did he miss that he normally plays?

If it at all came down to the last group, last hole, and a putt to win the event: who do you want in that pressure situation? Tiger Woods? Or the guy who didn't get picked because of Tiger?[/QUOTE]

Five years ago: tiger, now: the other guy.

If it at all came down to the last group, last hole, and a putt to win the event: who do you want in that pressure situation? Tiger Woods? Or the guy who didn't get picked because of Tiger?

Right now? The other guy.

Right now? The other guy.

But only one of them has ever had to putt with the event riding on the line and a whole team relying on them. That's unfamiliar territory for Haas and Bradley. I'm not saying they can't do it, especially since they've both had some major pressure packed putts within the past 2 months. They'll just feel a bit more pressure than Tiger would. Did I also forget to mention they're both rookies to the Presidents Cup?

But only one of them has ever had to putt with the event riding on the line and a whole team relying on them. That's unfamiliar territory for Haas and Bradley. I'm not saying they can't do it, especially since they've both had some major pressure packed putts within the past 2 months. They'll just feel a bit more pressure than Tiger would. Did I also forget to mention they're both rookies to the Presidents Cup?

Having a putt to win a major or 10 million dollars to me is a pretty big putt. In fact I would call it far bigger than the Prez Cup. I will put my money on the people that are playing and winning rather than those that are not often and when they are, not successful at it.

I disagree. Tiger hasn't played well in forever and is a controversial captain's pick. The confidence the other 2 are currently play with would, IMO, mean Tiger would feel more pressure.

Between Tiger or Bradley for the winning putt under pressure, I'd take Bradley....................he uses a long putter :wink:

Tigers short game and putting have been terrible, that will not win many matches no matter what else he does or what he has done in the past.

Having a putt to win a major or 10 million dollars to me is a pretty big putt. In fact I would call it far bigger than the Prez Cup. I will put my money on the people that are playing and winning rather than those that are not often and when they are, not successful at it.

Career wise yes, it's much important. But if you miss that putt for a major or 10mill, you really just let yourself down. You miss a putt in a team event? You disappoint a lot more than just yourself. Ask Hunter Mahan what it's like to miss a putt in an important team event. He said to the XM coverage reporters that he wasn't even upset that he just lost. Really? Cause I just saw about 11.4 million reasons (10.4 in cash) why you should be headbutting the drywall for hitting 2 poor 3 irons and a 4 iron on the 18th hole.

As for Tiger's lack of good play, I think I'd be quicker to call it rust more than just poor play. He didn't hit a single competitive shot from Middle of May to end of July, and then went right into the PGA Championship. It was sorta similar to when his father died and then he came back from the US Open. Did anyone really expect him to play super well? At least now he'll have the Frys, then the Aussie Open, then the Presidents Cup.

Im not going to have the Tiger debate really. If someone things that all his problems are rust, so be it. Rust does not cause 2 years of bad golf with a sprinkling of decent rounds. Where was the rust in Augusta or the Chevron? He played well there. Can he come back and be successful? Certainly. Will he at the Prez cup? Maybe, maybe not. However it shows that they might as well have taken Jack Nicklaus for this since its clearly about what have you done all time rather than the guys that have played good golf this year.

And if TW comes out and plays great? It was the old "its about time". If he comes out and stinks...We will still here about the swing change, the rust and that he is "getting there".

Back