I'll be sad when the Palm Warblers leave here in Florida. I enjoy watching them explore the hedges and screens.

I'll be sad when the Palm Warblers leave here in Florida. I enjoy watching them explore the hedges and screens.
We have warblers migrate near us, up on Lake Erie. One year I need to get up there to see and hear them!

I've never been a bird guy. But, after I buy my first home, I am planning to get a bird feeder and hopefully do some just causual bird watching from home. Owls are my favorite, but I've only seen 1 in person before.

I saw several Canadian Geese perched on top of my neighbors house. I can't recall ever seeing them perched up high like that. It was really interesting.

Have a Mockingbird that used to hang in the outskirts of our yard the last few years. He's been moving closer this year. Love listening to him imitate Cardinals, blue Jay's, and finches. Even followed me around the yard the other day, going from tree to tree, staying about 10 yards away the whole time. Might be my new favorite.

20220325_091930.jpg

Poor Mockingbirds and their Dissociative identity disorder... they are comically distracting if you're trying to work when one is around. Can't help but stop & listen and think what the heck is wrong with that bird?!?

A friend of mine found a Bald Eagle struggling on the bank of the river while he was in his boat. He called the World Bird Sanctuary and they came and took her to their hospital. Turned out the poor bird had Avian Flu and didn’t make. The avian flu is going around so if you see birds acting weird that could be the case.

On a lighter note, I saw two juvenile bald Eagles flying and sparring while I was on the golf course today.

I always like when the sand hill cranes come back. I have heard them —so awesome — and watched a few fly by so far this year, but nothing else until today. Came across this pair today. They were bullying Canada geese. That was fun to watch.

9FDB50FE-F824-4C30-99EE-4CD8C8AA1769.jpeg

the family of hawks are very active in our backyard. my son (2 yo) loves finding and watching the hawk. he got a set of binoculars today so that he canook for them as they settle on various trees and look for rodents.

the family of hawks are very active in our backyard. my son (2 yo) loves finding and watching the hawk. he got a set of binoculars today so that he canook for them as they settle on various trees and look for rodents.
Sounds like they are nesting with some youngsters close to your backyard. We have the same activity in the woods behind us. Fun to watch the progress.

Sounds like they are nesting with some youngsters close to your backyard. We have the same activity in the woods behind us. Fun to watch the progress.
with the lack of trees we can see their very large nest. been in our backyard for about 5 years straight... pretty cool to see then come back year after year

My primary bird interaction is yelling profanities at the seagulls that poop on my car.

30 minutes ago, upstate NY.

718CD400-95E0-445C-8A61-6634CC170E71.jpeg

We have bird feeders and spend a lot of time outdoors on the water. We have lots of eagles and hawks in our area and this time of year all the migratory birds start moving north again. My favorite bird is the Loon and we hear and see them daily all summer long as they nest on our lake.
Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 7.32.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-13 at 7.32.30 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-13 at 7.32.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-13 at 7.28.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-13 at 7.25.40 AM.png

Spotted the Mississippi Kite family that has returned from migration. There is a family of 4, I got this shot but they are so fast that I was lucky to get it.
AD1149D0-68DA-4A96-BBD7-EB3E889AB412.jpeg

My wife and I saw the closest Bald Eagle to us in the wild yesterday. We were on a bluff overlooking a river and a beautiful Bald Eagle floated by about 10 feet away from us. Pretty cool.

I was at an industrial site this morning at was watching this Swainsons Hawk hunt pigeons. He made three fruitless attempts while I watched them perched on this light. Maybe he switched up to rats.882D12D9-4658-411E-A9C1-CD4446D1BF0B.jpeg

The Gambel's quail have been back in our back yard. No chicks yet, but they will show up soon. Love them! Sorry, no pictures yet.

I have been a birder since I was about 10. Everything about them is wonderful.

I'm not a birder, but we have some really cool birds around here. There is a red tailed hawk nest on the other side of the school at the end of my street. We get bald eagles flying around quite a bit, osprey, herons, other hawks, lots of robins and killdeer, ducks and geese. It is pretty neat. the other day I saw some mergansers in the retention pond down the hill from me. Pretty trippy and cool.

Some interesting sighting these last few days.

Swathe smallest bird we get, the Ruby Throated Hummingbird pearched in our garden. Usually only see it zipping around, so it was quite the sight.

Next day saw a Great Blue Heron fly into the top of our back Maple tree. Seen them flying over, but never land in our yard since we aren't near much water. It flew away before I could get out and snap a picture.

And for the 3rd year in a row, we have a pair of Eastern Bluebirds raising some young in our front nesting box. Probably my favorite birds, because when the sunlight catches their blue feathers it's an amazing sight.

Our friends have had quite a few hummingbirds around lately. There is one dead branch on an ash tree that hangs over their driveway that they love to perch on. It's between the feeder and the birdbath/fountain that they bounce between.
Also, last weekend they had two pair of rose-breasted grosbeaks. Very pretty birds.

I have a few song sparrows nesting in the pine trees near my pool. It is fun to watch them hop along the fence, jump into the needles and hear the chirping from their young. There is a Carolina Wren nesting in a box near my garden, too. I have been scolded often when near by. :p

I have been enthralled with the family of Mississippi Kites that have lived in my neighborhood for a number of years. They roost/nest in a big oak tree and I have been keeping My eyes on them. They are a graceful, high energy bird.
EBB7219D-4540-4228-8AC3-42D6CE0618B5.jpeg

Back