Blind Ball Testing Review Thread

Finally got my test ball v E6 round done. Had to go to the smaller course near me to get this done. They are fine with me playing 2 balls and I am pretty sure my normal course would frown upon me playing 2 balls the entire round. Will post up the round recap later tonight.

Looking forward to your thoughts griff...

...just tap it in...

Well I have two more of the mystery balls after losing one last Wed. I plan on using them for league play on Wed, and a scramble on Sat. Hopefully I won't lose them so I can continue playing them. I really like this ball and depending on the price point, might be my gamer.

---
- Just tap it in, just tap it in.

Last edited:
I really don't think price would be a deciding factor for me. Look at it this way. If your shopping for a car. And you fall in love with Car A because of the way it rode and the bells and whistles that it had. Would you settle for Car B even if it was the same make and model but less bells and whistles only a little less money? You've seen the bells and whistles this ball provides. If you like it, then why go to the less bells and whistles balls and suffer score loss? If you like Car A and it does what you want it to do, then why not pay the price???

Just a question. I don't let price points of golf balls make my decision. I use to let the name make it for me. But not since my eyes have been opened with this testing! Or opened them about any of my clubs since joining THP. I can't express the thanks I would like to convey for all the knowledge I have learned about golf that has led to me making some better scores. And I'm only talking about the equipment side of THP. Not the "Meet golfing buddies" side yet...

You guys have had power windows with this testing. How many are going back to crank windows??? LOL Just kidding.

I really don't think price would be a deciding factor for me. Look at it this way. If your shopping for a car. And you fall in love with Car A because of the way it rode and the bells and whistles that it had. Would you settle for Car B even if it was the same make and model but less bells and whistles only a little less money? You've seen the bells and whistles this ball provides. If you like it, then why go to the less bells and whistles balls and suffer score loss? If you like Car A and it does what you want it to do, then why not pay the price???

Just a question. I don't let price points of golf balls make my decision. I use to let the name make it for me. But not since my eyes have been opened with this testing! Or opened them about any of my clubs since joining THP. I can't express the thanks I would like to convey for all the knowledge I have learned about golf that has led to me making some better scores. And I'm only talking about the equipment side of THP. Not the "Meet golfing buddies" side yet...

You guys have had power windows with this testing. How many are going back to crank windows??? LOL Just kidding.

That's a good analogy. I'll give you my answer... I play a $25/doz. ball because I still spray enough of them into the woods that $45/doz. doesn't make sense. I played a dozen high end balls and I absolutely fell in love with them. If I could afford them I would play them all the time. But when I shank 2 into the woods in a row it takes some of the joy out of having "power windows".

Finally got my test ball v E6 round done. Had to go to the smaller course near me to get this done. They are fine with me playing 2 balls and I am pretty sure my normal course would frown upon me playing 2 balls the entire round. Will post up the round recap later tonight.

Can't wait to read this one Griff. I used to play the E6.

E6 versus Mystery Ball

Headed out to a par 33 course to do this part. They know me pretty well as I have been there a lot this year with my son. No problem hitting 2 balls side by side for 9. All my distances were lasered less par 4 pins from tee.

Hole 1 - Par 4 300 yards straight away

E6 - Tee flip put E6 first. I pushed my drive out to the 9th tee box. Lasered back to the tee at 223 yards. Distance to pin 105. Hit my GW on the green and watched my shot roll off the side of the green past the little white sticks of death. Dropped and hit into the greenside bunker. Almost lost my sand shot off the back of green. 2 putted for a 7.

Mystery - Pushed drive past the 9th tee box. Driver distance of 237. 89 yards to pin. Used my 49 Niblick and hit it on the green. Ball had about 15 feet of roll with a minimal divot. 2 putted from 20 feet or so for a 4.

Hole 2 - Par 3 151 yards over water

E6 - Used a 7 iron that stuck to the upper left part of the green. Ball rolled out 6 feet or so from divot. From 25 feet or so I almost made the putt. Slipped by the hole and finished about 4 feet away. Made the knee knocker for a 3.

Mystery - Used an 8 iron and nailed it pin high. Ball popped on the green, very different sound than when the E6 hits a green. Ball backed up 5-6 feet from divot. Tricky little 10 foot left to right putt. Dropped it in for a 2.

Hole 3 Heavily wooded 285 yard par 4 with a blind uphill tee shot. Anything but straight off the tee will give tree trouble.

E6 - Used Fybrid and smoked it down the middle. 91 yards to pin. Lie was very thin so I used an easy GW as opposed to a higher bounce wedge. Ball landed in front of of pin and rolled a good distance to 15 feet or so. 2 putt par.

Mystery - Got a little quick with my Fybrid and caught some trees on the right. Kick was not favorable. Had a very narrow escape back to the FW, my only shot. Choked down to the shaft of Fybrid as I was side hill as well. Pulled it off, kinda. 3rd shot I couldn't hit freely from 115 yards as more trees were overhanging the right side of FW. Hit a little 7 iron that managed to make it to the front part of green. 2 putted for a very lucky 5.

Hole 4 144 yard par 3 OB left trees right. Gotta hit a straight one or the trees win.

E6 - 8 iron that caught a branch on the right. Wound up short of green. 42 Niblick put me to 3 feet. 1 putt par.

Mystery - 9 iron to middle of green, little short of hole high and left of pin. Really dig that pop sound when it hits a green. Ball moved forward from divot about 2 feet. 2 putt par from 20 feet.

Hole 5 Par 4 260 yard slight dogleg left. OB left trees right. Water around green and a small creek left. #1 HC hole. Small green that demands a perfect 2nd shot.

E6 - Great Fybrid down the middle. 65 yards to pin used an easy 58* wedge that missed right. Lie was horrific. Skulled 42 Niblick over the surface of green to another horrific wet lie. Used 49 Niblick and barely got it on green about 12 feet away. Putt wasn't even close. Blew right through line and left me with a 3 footer. Made it for 6.

Mystery - Probably the longest 6 iron I have ever hit. Lasered it to 199 yards. I must have had a terrific bounce because that is not my normal 6 iron distance. 76 yards to pin used an easy 49 Niblick that came up well short. 2nd shots here are stressful. Pitched on with 58* wedge, ball stopped up quick, and 2 putted from 10 feet for 5.

Post is getting long, going to separate this into 2 parts.

Through 5 E6 was 5 over and mystery was 1 over.

E6 versus Mystery Ball part 2.....

Hole 6 - 245 yard 90 degree dogleg left. Trees run along both sides of the FW all the way to elevated green.

E6 - 6 iron down the middle. Can only see half the flag stick from preferred FW position. 57 yards went at it with a full 58*. Not sure what went down but found the ball in the rough behind the green. Chipped on and 2 putted for 5.

Mystery - 7 iron down the middle. 63 yards to pin, used full 58* wedge. Heard that pop sound and was hoping for the best. Ball was pin high next to its divot 15 feet away. Nifty 3 putt for 5.

Hole 7 157 yard par 3. Trees everywhere and 3 bunkers around green.

E6 - Caught a beauty 7 iron to 10-12 feet. Nother nifty 3 putt for 4. E6 was just racing away from me on this green.

Mystery - Hit a 7 iron to the way back part of the green. Did I mention I love that pop sound when mystery hits the green? Had about 30 feet and I just couldn't get a good read. Never been on this part of green and it was double breaking. Wound up 6 feet left of hole. Made it for 3.

Hole 8 305 yard par 4 with a drop off from tee and sloped FW to green. Copse of trees on right OB left. Overall the green winds up slightly below tee box.

E6 - 5W on a rope that wound up 20 yards from green side bunker. 58* wedge to 12 feet. Blind landing so not sure on roll out. 2 putt par.

Mystery - Driver, why the heck not, to left of green side bunker. Was worried I would bounce OB. Rough was soft enough to keep me in play. Little 49 Niblick over left side of bunker. Ball didn't come out with much spin. Rolled past the hole by 10 feet or so. 2 putt par.

Hole 9 235 yard par 4. Large hill on right near green and OB left.

E6 - 6 iron down the middle. 79 yards to pin. Something said hit the GW so I did. Worked pretty good on 3 with the E6. Good results again. Ball landed in front of green and rolled up to pin. Missed 8 footer and had a 4.

Mystery - 6 iron down the middle. 71 yards to pin. I was really torn on what to hit here. Had a little tail wind and thought about the 58*. Reluctantly used a 50% 42 Niblick that almost holed out. Ball landed in front of green and slowed down nicely once on the green. 2 footer for 3.

So, long as my math is legit....

E6 +7 40
Mystery +1 34

I will say I had a bit of luck with the Mystery ball on 3. That could have been a quadruple easily. The E6 caught some bad luck on 1. Yes, the E6 doesn't like to hold greens, but I've never seen one in such a hurry to go OB. Ultimately, the short game control I gain with the mystery ball puts it in front of the E6. I am seeing bona fide distance gains with my irons. Mystery ball will most likely boot the E6.

EDIT: In the spirit of the beloved Mashie, GET YO POP ON. Love the sound of this ball hitting greens.

Last edited:
Good write up Griff! I love the sound this ball makes when it hits the green too! As I stand right now, this ball is more than likely going to be my new gamer ( that is JB's cue to come in here and tell us it's a Top Flite and make us all look silly :D)

I only have 2 left, so I hope the announcement comes soon so I don't have to go into withdrawls...LOL

Good write up Griff! I love the sound this ball makes when it hits the green too! As I stand right now, this ball is more than likely going to be my new gamer ( that is JB's cue to come in here and tell us it's a Top Flite and make us all look silly :D)

I only have 2 left, so I hope the announcement comes soon so I don't have to go into withdrawls...LOL

Thanks! My biggest worry now is does this come in yellow. Having my doubts on this and it is a bummer. I'll say it again to see if it catches on, GET YO POP ON!!! Alright, I'll stop :clown:

No announcement yet, but its coming pretty soon.

No announcement yet, but its coming pretty soon.

I think I can speak for just about all the testers when I say there is a good bit of anticipation or that announcement!

...just tap it in...

Griff I just want to say you have done an amazing job in this testing. Thanks buddy!!:srixon::nike::callaway::bridgestone::taylormade:

Good job by all, can't wait to hear what ball it is, def gona try it after all the great reviews

I tapatalk better then I tapaputt

I think this is the whole purpose of blind testing....everyone seems to be liking this ball and wants to game it however if it's revealed to be a 'lesser ball' would it be used going forward? Probably not because of the ego factor. If it turns out to be something that works for someone's game then it should be used without any feelings of silliness at all

Good stuff griff, I too have stated that I would love to see this ball in yellow, I really miss that from my RX's. I have only compared it to either the Penta or the RX, have not tried any midpriced balls like the e6 so I enjoyed your write up and am not surprised at the difference in green holding ablility between the 2 balls you tested. I like the ball enough that I am planning to game it in our blitz tomorrow and see how well it performs in a competitive setting. Looking forward to seeing what the mystery ball is.

The testing has been going on for several weeks now. Can people offer some comparisons to other balls at this point? For instance take these 5 balls and compare the mystery ball to it.

Titleist Pro V1
Taylormade Penta
Bridgestone B330-RX
Bridgestone e6
Titleist NXT Tour

If JB wants some comparisons to that list of balls I imagine this must be a pretty good ball!

The testing has been going on for several weeks now. Can people offer some comparisons to other balls at this point? For instance take these 5 balls and compare the mystery ball to it.

Titleist Pro V1
Taylormade Penta
Bridgestone B330-RX
Bridgestone e6
Titleist NXT Tour

Pro V1 - I actually play this ball at times, but have never bought one. I find them all over it seems. I tested this on the launch monitor vs the mystery ball and the mystery ball spun just as much, but gave me more driver distance with the same average swing speed. Mystery ball's cover does not feel quite as soft as the ProV1, but it feels softer off the driver.

B330-RX - All of my findings show this ball is very similar to the B330RX for me. This is my normal gamer and I see similar driving distance, spin, and soft feel.

E6 - Definitely softer covered than the e6. The e6 is probably on the highest, straightest balls I've ever played. Mystery ball is maybe a touch lower launching and maybe a more spinny off the tee. Mystery ball actually feels somewhat similar off the driver, but has much more spin off the irons and wedges. Sounds a bit lower toned off the putter than the e6.

ProV1--Similar but I will give the edge in distance off the tee to ProV1
Penta--I would swear this is the same ball. I am getting the exact same distance off the tee as I did with the Penta. Same nice feel 100 yards and in
B330RX--I know this will come back and bite me when this ball is revealed to be the B330RX but for me it's no comparison. Same feel around the greens but I get way more distance off the tee with the Bridgestone

I have not played the others enough to be able to compare. I'm starting to think that my distance loss off the tee is not because of the ball. I have lost my draw with the driver and so I'm hitting the ball straight which could be the distance loss. I like this ball but if I were rich I would not be buying it over the B330RX which is my favorite ball and it comes in yellow!!:bananadance::call-me::female-fighter::bridgestone:

If JB wants some comparisons to that list of balls I imagine this must be a pretty good ball!

I would not draw that comparison. JB could have us all comparing this to tour balls and then tell us it's the TF Gamer V2. Which would be awesome!:topflite::laugh::mohawk:

Titleist Pro V1
Taylormade Penta
Bridgestone B330-RX
Bridgestone e6
Titleist NXT Tour

Absolutely, will post it up shortly.

I would not draw that comparison. JB could have us all comparing this to tour balls and then tell us it's the TF Gamer V2. Which would be awesome!:topflite::laugh::mohawk:

This. No marketing. No advertising. Does it work for you or not. That is all we know right now. Could it be a tour ball? Yes. Could we be playing a Top Flight? Doubt it, but certainly possible.

Ball X vs. Pro V1: I feel like I compress Ball X a bit more than the Pro V1. It seems to me that it has a better feel at impact when hitting the driver. As far as short game goes, I prefer Ball X as I think it is able to be controlled a bit better than the Pro V1 (check when you need it to, roll out on other shots), in my experience with the pro v1, it can get too spinny at times. Iron and wedge shots feel much better with Ball X than Pro v1, see a higher ball flight with Ball X. The balls I have played of the mystery ball seem to be much more durable as well.

Ball X vs Penta:
I regularly game the Penta, and I love it. I see a lot of comparison between the two, probably why I have enjoyed testing Ball X so much. Feel off the driver is almost the same, feels good and impact, with a nice ball flight. Irons and wedges feel great as well when you hit it flush. My feelings is that the mystery ball has added more distance than what I had been seeing with the Penta. Green side control is comparable between the too, and they are both great, but feel I get more "bite" with the mystery ball. Putting, i've said it a few times, so I will stick with my feelings here, Ball X feels "heavier" off the putter. This isnt good, nor bad, just different. But I love the way it rolls.

Okay I will try to get a couple of those other balls ( other than the Penta) and get a comparison going for you guys too. I need to hurry as to I only have 2 balls left. You guys know my thoughts comparing it to the TM TP Black already.

I have played the Penta a few times. And I see similar results off the tee and around the greens. I think that Ball X has more distance off an iron tho. Plus Ball X is definitely more durable! I agree with W.E it is a little heavier off the putter than the Penta. But that's why I think it holds the line a bit better.

I can offer my thoughts on the Penta and the RX as those are the 2 I have compared the mystery ball to head to head.

Woods & hybrids - I have had the longest drives with the RX and the mystery ball, the Penta is not appreciably shorter at all but I have not had any of those "man that one really went out there" drives with it. I feel that I am getting more height with the mystery ball over the other 2 with the hbrids and FW woods, the distance is pretty much the same. Even thought the mystery ball seems to fly higher, I don't see any excessive side spin. I am able to draw and cut this ball with ease, the cut never seems to turn into a slice but I do over cook the draw sometimes into a hook.

Irons - As noted in earlier reviews I seem to be getting about half a club more in distance with the mystery ball, it seems to be traveling higher than the other 2 which definitely helps the ball stop when it lands on the green, it rolls out several feet short of the RX and slightly short of the Penta. The feel and sound at impact is very pleasing. Feels slightly softer than the RX and about the same as the Penta.

Putter - I immediately liked this ball off of the putter, I think in the 5 rounds I have in with this ball I have three 3 putts, the feel is again slightly softer than the RX and the sound off of the putter is a very nice click and I really enjoy all three of these balls when putting.

I personally do not think the mystery ball is either of these unless it is a new incarnation that is not on the market as yet, in other words this ball is different from the RX and Penta, but not vastly different.

Last edited:
I play each of these balls from time to time.

Titleist Pro V1 - Ball X has similar if not a tad more distance for me and seems like less side spin. The Pro V1 spins a touch more on the green and is not as durable. Trajectory is very similar for me.

Taylormade Penta - Ball X has a lower trajectory for me with a similar straight flight and little ballooning. The soft Penta cover cuts very easily and stains quickly. Again the distances off the driver were very similar even with the higher flight, with a better rollout on the greens going to Ball X.

Bridgestone B330-RX - I actually see Ball X as being one from this family. My guess is a tough E6 cover with in a three piece ball. A bit more distance from Ball X with a bit more spin and similar soft feel, (may be coming from the better compression feel). I originally thought B330-RXS and could still slide that way.

Bridgestone e6 - Very similar dimple pattern along with the 330 line. Ball X seemed to have all the properties of this ball to me while adding more greenside spin and softer feel, especially off the putter. Similar trajectory and driver distance with the edge to Ball X.

Ok, there's my perspective for all the world, lol. I bet I'm way off, but without getting it on a monitor myself it comes down to subjection. Thank to THP and the Mystery companies for allowing me to be involved in this testing, I really had a blast as did several friends who got to give me their take.

Back