Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

Great write ups fellas! It looks like we have the beginnings of another winner out there. :)

Very impressed with the reviews thus far from you guys. Just got a new driver and you guys have me in pondering mode. Keep it up fellas!!

Great initial review Degoins.....one question for you......it looks like the graphics of the Aldila shaft are staring right up at you at address....is that distracting to you at all?

So today I was invited to play at a private course here in town. It's a very nice course in immaculate shape mostly played by doctors and lawyers and such. While in the fairway on number 7 my cell phone rings, I let it go to voicemail so I could hit and shortly after it rang again. I got to my cart to answer it and the caller ID said Brandon from Fed-ex. Yes I have ordered so much stuff that I have the route driver in my contacts. Anyway, he was calling to ask when would be a good time for him to slip by because he had a package for me. I wonder what it could be? I told him that I would be home by 3 and at 2:58 he pulled into the drive!

The driver was packed very well with large amounts of balled up paper to keep it from slipping around inside the box. The driver itself was incased in a plastic sheath.

100_0019.jpg

100_0021.jpg

100_0022.jpg

I ordered mine in stiff flex with a 9* head as thats what I play normally.

100_0024.jpg

After unboxing the driver I took note of the weight, you can tell this is no ordinary driver by that alone. The weight is most notable when holding it from the head end but really not too heavy at all. I really like the look of this driver. I think Boccieri did a great job in the design and finish.

100_0023.jpg

100_0025.jpg

I stepped into the yard to do a few mock swings to see how it felt and right away I could feel it release as I swung through. I know you guys have heard the term "falling into the slot" and with the added weight it magnifies it. You can also feel the head all the way through the swing as well. Enough with the mock swings I wanted to go hit this thing! I had to wait on the wife to get off work so I could drop the girls off and have some time alone testing the new driver.

I only had time left for nine holes so I paid to walk nine, it was also the first time using my new Bagboy Automatic push cart so I was multi tasking. I'll post a review about it later.

100_0026.jpg

I like the way this club sets up, it seems pretty neutral and since my miss is a hook that was a nice surprise as most clubs in the game improvement section tend to be a bit closed. I took a few practice swings and then addressed the ball. I'd like to say the maiden swing went 280 straight down the middle but I can't, instead I topped it and it dribbled a measley 100 yards to the left of the tee box. My normal driver is a taylormade superfast and it is everything this driver isn't, it's light and long in length so the difference in weight and length took some adjusting to. The second swing was a nice and smooth one that resulted in a 265 yard drive 15 yards left of center. I didn't try to overpower it and the results were great.

100_0027.jpg

The next driver hole was a par 5 thats driveable in 2. I took a nice smooth swing and this time it was straight down the middle for about 265. Again I was just letting the driver guide me through and not try to overpower it. I really like the way you can feel the weight of it through the swing. I think this driver would really help someone who gets too quick with the driver as it helps you keep a smoother tempo.

The last par 4 was my best with the driver. It's the second hole and I played it twice because number 9 goes away from the clubhouse. It's a 398 par 4 that plays uphill and you need a really good drive to get to the flat part of the fairway. I decided to swing on it a bit but try not to get too quick. I hit it on the screws and the ball ended up 15 yards short of the 100 yard marker. You can see in the picture how uphill the hole plays and you can see the red 100 yard marker in front of the ball. This thing is going to be a gamer!

100_0030.jpg

100_0032.jpg

100_0033.jpg

You can see where I was hitting the ball on the clubface. For the most part all shots are fairly centered. I think alot of that has to do with the tempo the weight makes you swing. I look forward to putting alot more swings on this thing and getting it dialed in to see what it can really do.

100_0035.jpg

My initial thoughts are great. I like the look and feel of this stick and am pleasantly surprised that it's not closed too much at address. If I have any complaint so far it's a minor one and really isn't about the driver but instead the headcover. It opens and closes with a long zipper and is a bit of a nuisance to take off and on during play as I don't leave my covers off. Yeah! I'm "that" guy!

I hope you enjoyed my initial review and found it informative. I look forward to more testing and will give you feedback as I go. Thank you THP and Boccieri once again for this great opportunity.

Great write-up, Degoins. Love the thoroughness. I have to agree about the headcover.

Seriously good reviews so far. Glad to hear these are working out so well for you guys.

Man, great write ups SF and DG! I like it. You both left no stone unturned. SOunds like everyone is experiencing initial bliss with this driver. Great job.

I'm amazed by how quickly everyone is liking this driver! I expected some adjustment period, but it sounds like this is solid right out of the box!

Great write ups by all so far.

Great initial write ups!! Nice pics and summary Degoins

Great job on the initial pics and writeup. I love to read about brands that aren't mainstream that deliver the goods so to speak.

I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with my fellow testers at this point. I can only hope to have the same experiences these guys are having!

Now off to work!

Thanks for all the information regarding the Heavy Driver. I've been using the wedges and 20 hybrid for a few months now, and love the feel. I've been interested in the driver, but no retailer in the KC area has them in stock. Not sure if I'm quite ready to pull the trigger yet, but your reviews sure got me thinking. I look forward to more reviews and information.

Thanks for all the information regarding the Heavy Driver. I've been using the wedges and 20 hybrid for a few months now, and love the feel. I've been interested in the driver, but no retailer in the KC area has them in stock. Not sure if I'm quite ready to pull the trigger yet, but your reviews sure got me thinking. I look forward to more reviews and information.

Make sure to stop by the hybrid thread if you have some thoughts to share :)

Excellent reviews! 11 of 13 fairways hit! Just Wow!

SFCoach great job on the fairways!!! I loved, loved, loved this driver at the outing and was probably in the top 2 for me easily just based on feel and eyeballing ballflight lol. Nice round dude.

Hoosier! Great unboxing pics and fantastic thoughts. Really look forward to seeing how the club works out for you. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous :)

Degoins, great thoughts and I loved the on course pics. I just love the ballflight of straight too. I don't work the ball off the tee on purpose but I'm interested to see how it works for you with this club. Seemed like I could hit nothing but straight and far.

I'm enjoying all of the initial write ups and pics.

Degoins - I have a feeling this driver is going to be a really good fit for you.

Great initial thoughts guys! Glad to see the club came out of the gate firing on all cylinders!

Tap before talk.

Really hoping I can get out today. We have a 60% chance of rain but I really want to give this stick another run. Also, many thanks for the kind words. I'm sure the other testers are as grateful as I am - I'll keep trying to work hard for you guys and gals!

good stuff so far guys, glad its working for ya so far

I did get mine yesterday, took some pics, and then had to head out of town to an award ceremony. Just to keep everyone in the loop, I intend to get out this evening, and will post my unboxing and initial thoughts this evening. And just because I can't keep it in, I will share the first two thoughts when I was holding it delicately in my hands as though it were a new born child....I love the classic shape, and despite the name, its only barely noticeably more heavy than my current driver.

That's a really good looking driver!

Great initial review Degoins.....one question for you......it looks like the graphics of the Aldila shaft are staring right up at you at address....is that distracting to you at all?

I didn't notice it until you mentioned it, Thanks alot Hanks! Lol, just kidding. Seriously I focus on the ball too much to notice it. I think the green jumps out more in the picture.

Back