Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

This is absolutely fascinating. Thanks to all the testers out there taking the time to put up thoughtful reviews. I'm curious how close or far any of you are to thinking about gaming this club.

Great write-ups so far everyone! It sounds like this might be another sleeper driver like the ML4.

This is absolutely fascinating. Thanks to all the testers out there taking the time to put up thoughtful reviews. I'm curious how close or far any of you are to thinking about gaming this club.

Can't answer that yet. I was only able to get a short session in because of high wind and it blowing 25/30 mph again today. I'm heading to the course shortly and plan to hit the driver some before playing in my league.

Wow! Great write ups guys. This is a very interesting thread so far!

Alright, I'm in a bit of a rain delay right now but I'm on the course. I'm on the green at 9 with a par putt upcoming when the rain ceases. So far, I've hit 5 of 7 fairways on the front 9. I didn't start out nearly as steady with the Boccieri but I'm getting it dialed in. I was swinging too hard earlier and hooking it. This club really does the work for you so when I steadied my swing I was playing a much better drive. I missed two of the first four fairways but have hit three straight. I'm sitting at a 36 through 8 so I'm putting for a 40. This course, my home course, is considerably more difficult than the course I played the other day so I'm quite pleased with my score.

And I just missed my putt. 41.

Just sent my wife a text asking if anything has shown up at home, no dice! Hopefully FedEx comes late to my house, either that or tomorrow!

Ok, I've made it out and hit 30 or so drives with this thing, but this first post will be just about PICTURES!!! YAY!!! So, here's a little unboxing pictorial for everyone, i'll post my initial thoughts on hitting this driver in an hour or so....

It was happy times when I get back to my office from lunch

All packing, where's the driver, maybe they forgot it oh no!

Just kidding, of course the driver was in there

I could feel the power in my hands

The shaft

A pretty classic look from up top

Those lines are drawn on, there are no grooves on this driver

The competition, a 2007 Taylormade Burner Draw

I peeked inside the box to make sure I had everything, and BONUS!!! BOCCIERI HEAVY DRIVERS COME WITH A FREE CAT!

Like I said, i'll get my initial thoughts out here in a bit this evening.

~Rock

Great pics, Rock! Looking forward to your thoughts.

Ok, initial thoughts. I'm going to be that 'other guy' who has different results than some of the others, but that's ok. I did hit the driver about 30 times this evening, and also hit my burner draw a few times as well just for comparison sake. The heavy driver is heavier than the TM burner draw. There is no mistaking it. However, when your swinging the club, I don't notice that I'm swinging a heavier club. It feels perfectly natural. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the heavier driver makes for a better tempo and more stable swing.

I did not hit this driver well, at all. Now let me add my little disclaimers, if you've seen my little journal thread on my goals, you know that I am having a horrible time with the driver, any driver. Even with my Burner draw, I'm only finding about 5 fairways per 18 holes, and most of my misses are so badly missed its either a penalty stroke or just in a terrible position. My second disclaimer is that I've spent 3 years hitting a burner draw driver. The club face on a burner draw is really closed. It took me one and a half summers just to get used to the closed club face and learn how to hit the thing. Now all of a sudden, I'm hitting a normal driver, with a barely closed club face. There is going to be some adjustment with this heavy driver for the sole reason of going from a really closed face to a pretty neutral face.

So just remember, I am not giving up on this club yet. I suspect a lot of the problems are due to the user, not the club. In fact, watching the videos, a really poor swing is definitely the culprit here.

As for the hits. I hit a lot of hard slices with this club. The crazy thing was that I was hitting the ball further with hard slices than when I would catch it straight. There was about a 15 mph breeze going into my face, so I'm sure that didn't help things. The sound when you hit it flush is heavier than my Burner Draw, but not nearly as thick or heavy sounding as say the current line of TM Burners and R11s. It's a muted heavy sound, and in today's age of of drivers that keep getting louder and louder (that's you taylormade), it's kind of nice to have a more quiet sound when you hit the driver.

The best hit I had with the driver only went about 210 yards. That in itself was discouraging. My Burner Draw, into the wind, was going 20-25 yards further. Another interesting point, the Heavy Driver is 10*, and the Burner Draw is 9.5*, yet I was hitting the Burner Draw higher on what I would call an optimal to slightly below optimal trajectory. The Heavy Driver just seemed to have top spin on the ball, or maybe it seemed like I was hitting knuckle balls. When watching the ball flight on straight shots, it just seemed like it followed a standard curve up and down, rather than moving up on the trajectory 70% of the distance before falling down to the ground. In other words, as far as carry, the heavy driver seemed to be peaking in height at the halfway point of yards carried. I hope that makes sense. I'm not sure if I'm putting top spin on the ball or not.

As for the slices, they launched higher, but still had a lower trajectory than my Burner Draw. However, the sliced balls had similar distance as the straight burner draw hits, just 30-40 yards right of the target line. This gives me faith in the club once I get adjusted. If I can hit a slice that far, imagine how far I could hit straight. That may not be entirely accurate, but that's my positive thinking on it.

This trajectory thing had me a little perplexed, so just to make sure I could pop the ball up, I took an 'iron' swing at it, and yes, you can pop the driver and sky it up. In fact, I hooked it when I did that, the only time I hit anything left with this driver.

I hit three different swings at it. What I call my natural swing that I've been focusing on, my 'grip it and rip it' swing, and the iron swing I just mentioned. The grip it and rip it swing resulted in less slicing, but I'm still experiencing trajectory issues. It just doesn't seem to be getting enough height to get the appropriate distance. However, it definitely gets a lot more roll than my Burner Draw. Where I may get 20-30 yards of roll with the Heavy Driver, I usually only get 10-15 yards or roll with the Burner Draw.

Those are at least my initial thoughts. By no means am I giving up on this beautiful looking club. In fact, here is a little something I'm going to bring to this testing thread. I have three lessons coming up soon, and given that the driver is the worst club in my bag (not the heavy driver, but any driver), I plan on taking my lessons with the Heavy Driver. I'm ready to hit a neutral face driver, and stop hitting this massive closed face draw driver.

I plan on getting out to the range tomorrow and I'm going to spend quite a bit of time with this Heavy Driver. I'll be playing around with ball position and tee height to find the optimal set up for hitting it.

I'll report back after the range. Until then,

~Rock

Alright folks, I received mine at around lunchtime, but unfortunately due to club events I could not get to the range. I plan on playing some golf tomorrow AM somewhere around town, not sure yet, but I am getting more excited by the minute to hit this thing.

I had chosen the driver in a 10* X-flex because I love how much more forgiving a higher lofted driver is. It is pretty clear from the pictures that the normal black and green shaft isnt in the club. The bright orange X-Flex shaft is in there, and I am stoked to finally be able to hit this club with something that is more stout than the demo day offering.

I come to this testing in a bitter-sweet excitement mode. From the results I am seeing from everyone else, this thing is a fairway finding bomb. I am killing my current driver right now, and would be reluctant to change for anything. But if this thing is legit, I am ready to open a whole new can of worms on any fairway target I look to from the teebox.

I absolutely LOVE the shape of the clubhead. I am a little worried that the face is closed at address, but Im sure once Im used to gaming this for a few rounds, itll work out just fine.

There are only things that I have to say about this driver that aren't overly positive.

1) There are a couple of paint imperfections, one being along the crown line(looks like a light sky mark even though this driver is new), one on the heel, and one on the toe. All of which are very hardly noticeable and will go unnoticed to 99% of the eyes that look at this club.

2) The other is the fact that when scoping the website, I noticed that there is a "white" option for this driver. I didn't know white was an option, and definitely would've selected it if available. I have always wanted a white driver, and people can see them from a mile away. People see them, and ask about them. After hitting the R11, Im starting to wonder if this could outperform it. If I were chosen to not only test this product performance wise, but to get the Boccieri name and product seen and noticed, the white driver wouldve been the perfect way to get it known. White is unquestionably making a statement in the golf world and I would assume that Boccieri Golf wants to become a Heavyweight:alien: in the white game by making in an option.

If there is any way I could pay return shipping to get to test the white driver, Id be more than happy to do so. If not, no biggie, and I will test the Black driver accordingly.

Without further adieu, the pics!

68d5d992.jpg

8b911c48.jpg

53a90fb1.jpg

1555b618.jpg

fb95b559.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write up Rock. Don't worry about having different results than the others, our job is to report our findings as unbiasedly as possible. I really enjoyed reading your initial thoughts on this club and I can wait to get mine soon so I cab report on my findings as well.

Haha, funny pictorial McRock.

Interesting reading your initial thoughts on the club. I bet some of the differences you are seeing with the club have to do with the shafts. It's going to be an adjustment going from that TM Draw to something more neutral. Give it time, try different ball positions. I really appreciate your honest feedback.

I'm with you, the Heavy feels heavier, but the counterbalancing distributes the weight in a way where it doesn't feel as heavy as it should.

Thainer, I enjoyed reading that. I don't know what was scarier, your reflection or that bedspread...

Good looking shaft in there. I had no idea the Heavy came in white and that would be great if they swapped it out for you.

Do have pictures of the blemishes?

Alright, time to finish updating my round from earlier. The rain ceased and it ended up being a beautiful evening at Mystic Rock! I shot a 41 on the back nine as well and posted an 82, a score that I'll take every single time on that course. It's a pretty tough track. Might as well break down my round, eh? By the way, I took the Boccieri head-to-head against a different driver today - my old King Cobra driver that I still game often and love (Speed LD, 10.5*, regular shaft - I didn't hit it until the back). I was not as sharp early on the tee today, found my swing for a bit, struggled again for a few holes, and then found it again down the stretch. I played from the whites today - 6,313 yards.

Front Nine:

Hole #1: Drew my drive a little too much and found the first cut of rough just off of the fairway. It's a 299 yard par 4 from the whites so I was only left with 60 yards. The course was a little wet today although it was still in great shape - I just wasn't getting a whole lot of run. My drives were in the 240-250 range for most of the day. I forgot to aim my second shot and put it left of the green. Chipped up and missed my putt. Bogey. 0/1 fairways hit.

Hole #2: 379 yard par 4. Hit a solid drive and found the right portion of the fairway. I hit a 240 yard drive and was left with an 8 iron into the green. Pushed it a little right. Again, I chipped up, missed my putt, and carded a bogey. 1/2 fairways hit.

Hole #3: 178 yard par 3. I pulled my five iron a little bit and clipped a tree. Still was in good shape but short. Ended up with my third straight bogey.

Hole #4: 335 yard par 4. I hit the right center of the fairway and left myself about 115 yards into the green. Sailed my shot over the back of the green and ended up carding anotherrr bogey. Complete bogey golf at this point. 2/3 fairways hit.

Hole #5: I got completely lucky here - I started my drive off into the woods but it kicked off a rock and launched back into a fairway bunker. I hit a flush five iron out of the bunker into a perfect lay-up position, hit a gap wedge onto the green, missed the putt, and carded my first par of the day. 2/4 fairways hit. Better lucky than good, eh?

Hole #6: 361 yard par 4. Hit a nice drive down the center of the fairway. 3/5 fairways hit. I was left with 120 into the green. I stuck it on the green but missed the birdie putt. Another par.

Hole #7: Short par 3. It played right around 135 yards today. I swung a pitching wedge and put it pin high but left it in the fairway to the left of the green. I almost chipped it in and posted my third straight par.

Hole #8: 486 yard par 5. I hit another good drive, right center of the fairway, making that 4/6 fairways hit on the day. I hit a solid five iron that left me with about 80 yards left. I flubbed my third shot but almost drilled my fourth from 30 yards away. Posted my fourth straight par.

Hole #9: Toughest hole on the course for me. 415 yard par 4 with water on the left. I hit the fairway again but it wasn't as long. Only traveled about 235 yards - I hooked it a bit. I hit a solid second shot but came up short of the green. I chipped on, two putted, and carded a bogey for a 41 on the front. 5/7 fairways hit.

Back Nine:

Hole #10: Alright, I decided to hit the Cobra and the Boccieri. 336 yard par 4, fairway slopes right to left so it plays well to my draw. I hit the Boccieri first and it draws just a bit too much, leaving me in the first cut off rough, just off of the fairway. I hit the Cobra and do the exact same thing - my shots are literally within five feet of each other. I hit a pitching wedge over the green but managed to card a par. 5/8 fairways hit.

Hole #11: Worst hole of the day for me. 507 yard par 5. I only hit the Boccieri on this hole - in the fairway. I hit an awful 5-wood into the water with my second shot. I hacked my way down to the green and ended up carding a double-bogey. 6/9 fairways hit.

Hole #12: Very difficult par 3 that was playing 171 yards, about 155 of that over water. I hit a 5 iron into the wind and left it on the green. I ended up three putting for a bogey. I lost my composure a bit on these two holes but rebounded nicely.

Hole #13: 345 yard par 4. I hit the Boccieri in the fairway. 7/10 fairways hit. I was left with a gap wedge into the green - pulled it a bit but had the right distance. Lagged a 50 footer to withing 5 feet and ended up with a par.

Hole #14: My nemesis. 384 yard par 4. I swung the Cobra and the Boccieri - the Cobra won on this hole. You have two choices off of the tee - you can play it to the fairway left or try to clear a bunker, all of 250 yards, that cuts a lot of yardage off of the hole. I thought I hit the Boccieri well but it took a bad kick into the bunker. The Cobra cleared the bunker and was sitting in the fairway. 7/11 fairways with the Boccieri. I was left with a haul to the green - 165 out of the bunker. Hit it well but ended up in another bunker to the left of the green. Did I mention that I hate this hole? Well, I ended up hitting a great second bunker shot that almost went in. Ended up saving a par.

Hole #15: Again, I hit the Boccieri and the Cobra. The Boccieri went 260 yards and was in the middle of the fairway. The Cobra went 265 yards and was just in the rough. 8/12 fairways hit. 382 yard par 4. I stuck my second shot on the green but missed my 15 footer for birdie. Par.

Hole #16: My favorite hole on the course. 512 yard par 5. I hit the Boccieri and the Cobra. I hit the Cobra about 270 yards but it was in the rough on the left, behind some trees. I hit the Boccieri 260 yards and left it in the middle of the fairway. I hit a 6 iron and left myself with about 85 yards. Hit a little more than a half gap wedge but put it in a bunker. Lots of sand for me today. I honestly had no choice but to go backwards - it sucked. I hit backwards onto the green and ended up two putting for a bogey. 9/13 fairways hit.

Hole #17: Another really tough par 3. It's all lined with rocks and water - played 166 yards into the wind today. I hit a smooth five iron and left it about 12 feet from the hole. Maybe my best shot of the day. I missed the birdie putt but ended up with a par.

Hole #18: It's a big-boy hole. 432 yard par 4, pretty much all uphill. I hit the Cobra and the Boccieri again. I hit the Boccieri into the fairway, 250 yards. It plugged. I hit the Cobra more where I wanted, 265 yards. I played the Boccieri and hit an awful second shot - I think I almost missed the ball. I was still left with an 8 iron in on my third shot and put it on the green. I missed my par putt and ended up with a bogey. I'll take it after my awful second shot. 10/14 fairways hit with the Boccieri. 41 on the back for a total of 82, 10 over par.

---

So, I was definitely not as sharp off of the tee today nor as long but I still ended up finding 10/14 fairways. I put together another really nice round for me and am quite happy. My bag is a lot of fun for me right now - I just bought the Di11's recently and feel like I'm testing them as well. It felt good swinging my Cobra that I love so much today and I was pleased to see the Boccieri stack up well against it. I'll regularly game the Boccieri against either the Cobra or the R9 460 whenever I'm able to do so. I hooked the Boccieri a couple times today but still found it to be a steady fairway finder.

I'm in the same boat as McRock (who has done a fantastic job so far) - I'm planning on taking lessons in the next two-three weeks as my schedule allows. I'm really excited to take my first lessons and have the Boccieri in hand. I'd love to find a way to get a bit more distance off of the tee. But, yeah, I feel very comfortable with this club so far. It fits my game well. I'm planning on hitting the course for at least nine holes tomorrow, hopefully more. I work at 6:30 so I should be done early enough to get some golf in (but I have to attend a darn graduation party around 5:30 or so).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The Boccieri Heavy Driver is getting ready to tee off on hole #5 at Mystic Rock.

The Boccieri at address.

The Boccieri at #11. This hole was mean to me today.

The Boccieri at #16 - my favorite hole on the course.

The Boccieri v. my old King Cobra that I still love.

And, finally, the Boccieri at #18 tee.

Maybe you mentioned it earlier Coach, but the Heavy looks really closed. Do you know what the specs are on that, or is it just camera angle?

I like how thorough you are and add the pictures and descriptions of every shot you hit with the driver.

Great stuff, Thainer. Can't wait to see how the X-Flex works for you.

Maybe you mentioned it earlier Coach, but the Heavy looks really closed. Do you know what the specs are on that, or is it just camera angle?

I like how thorough you are and add the pictures and descriptions of every shot you hit with the driver.

The Heavy is definitely more closed than anything I've played - might be why I'm hooking it every now and again, huh? I didn't have as fluid of a time today as I did the other day with the Boccieri but that's to be expected. Plus, that Cobra is the complete opposite of a closed face - definitely exaggerates the Boccieri a bit.

Hmm, thats odd. Mine doesn't seem very closed at all. It seems to sit about the same as my burner if not a little more open. You can see it in my pictures.

Hmm, thats odd. Mine doesn't seem very closed at all. It seems to sit about the same as my burner if not a little more open. You can see it in my pictures.

Like I said, I think it's exaggerated a bit in that picture by my Cobra. I'm just so used to playing that club so it's a bit of an adjustment for me (although I'm not having much trouble swinging the Boccieri).

By the way, we still totally need a Boccieri logo for our signatures!!!

Thanks for the feedback. Did you have the option to set the face angle? I'm just trying to learn about the process with getting a Boccieri.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you have the option to set the face angle? I'm just trying to learn about the process with getting a Boccieri.

No, I didn't have any option there.

Thainer, I enjoyed reading that. I don't know what was scarier, your reflection or that bedspread...

Good looking shaft in there. I had no idea the Heavy came in white and that would be great if they swapped it out for you.

Do have pictures of the blemishes?

I could only get two of them. And like I said, they are minor.

The one is directly north of my thumb on the face. Scratch, bump and paint rupture.

The other is on the L in dimple.

Yeah biggsy. White is cool. I would hope Boccieri would want the THP, the twitterverse and all of Facebook nation to see it.

47e6f0b6-1594-66d2.jpg

Back