Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Gaming the Apex irons. Can say so far that they are very smooth and forgiving. Hit a couple of shots, one with the 8, one with the 5, that were a little off the heel, and the response of the club said "I got this" and while they weren't perfect results, they were very appreciated.

Hit back to back tee shots with an 8 iron that were pretty sweet. Dead straight and pin high.

4 over through 9 for me is proof in the pudding, loving what I see so far.

This sounds promising!

JM

Jeff/Greg- How are the lofts in the combo sets?

I am SO glad to see a side-by-side to the J40! I've been looking for a comparison pic to something I've played to give me a sense of size and offset- now I know and can appreciate! Man! I cannot WAIT to get to Carlsbad and demo these!!!!

So I am sitting in a Hotel in Kalispell Montana and its going to get down to 13 here tonight. The wife just messaged me and said my Callaway box arrived. I will be home tomorrow night and Friday just became a work from the course day. I cannot wait to get my hands on these.

There is some great feed back so far. Roy what do you think of the ball flight compared to your old irons thus far?

Jeff/Greg- How are the lofts in the combo sets?

Clearly hard to say definitively without measuring, but I don't see a glaring difference. There's also a separate notation on the spec sheet under the Pros that was not there on the regs. Matt had said the lofts would be taken care of, but the difference between 7 and 8 is something I planned on spending a lot of time looking at.

So I am sitting in a Hotel in Kalispell Montana and its going to get down to 13 here tonight. The wife just messaged me and said my Callaway box arrived. I will be home tomorrow night and Friday just became a work from the course day. I cannot wait to get my hands on these.

There is some great feed back so far. Roy what do you think of the ball flight compared to your old irons thus far?

That's the "other" Gator. I'm in West Palm until Friday. Mine are with my wifey as well. Planning on playing with the Panda Sunday so I'll put them through their paces!!

I Tapped that with my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the "other" Gator. I'm in West Palm until Friday. Mine are with my wifey as well. Planning on playing with the Panda Sunday so I'll put them through their paces!!

Where are you boys playing?

That's for another thread.

So would the apex compare to the ap1 and the pros Ap2? Really like these and the titlist. My back pocket is starting to heat up.

swing your swing

Slaps forehead!!!!!!!!!!! Just saw the gator part and didnt even notice it was Dan! :banghead:

From the photos, i looks like the Apex is stamped with "Forged" on the hosel, while the Pros aren't. Is that really the case, and if so, why?

From the photos, i looks like the Apex is stamped with "Forged" on the hosel, while the Pros aren't. Is that really the case, and if so, why?

I am not sure why they did that but if you look at the pics of the Pros the Forged is on the back vs the hosel. They have it on both.

So would the apex compare to the ap1 and the pros Ap2? Really like these and the titlist. My back pocket is starting to heat up.

swing your swing

I would say the regular Apex is more in line with the AP2, and the Pro is a while different animal in and of itself.

The pros say forged on the back.

a6emyna2.jpg

Played 18 tonight on a par 60 lighted course, navigating drunk league golfers and steady 15-20 wind. Not the best conditions for a spot on review, but I have high hopes for these clubs. Didn't really make great contact but that is on me, was a little hyped up and typical me, that led to some thin contact.

Given the subpar effort on my part, the results were pretty darn good.

I'm glad to have gotten this initial exposure out of the way, coming up on a weekend where I should be able to put together 2 leisurely rounds in good weather and no distractions.

Looking forward to hearing what the other reviewers have to say.

I went with a combo set. Apex 3-7 Pro 8-PW. There is not a whole lot of difference between the 8 Pro and Apex 7. I will try to post a pic of that for you. I was surprised how close in size they appear.
That combo set looks sweet! These irons are going to be my first choice going into my fitting this spring. It appears to be a pretty smooth transition between the two sets. Do you anticipate any issues with the transition?

Loving these pics so far! Excited to hear what y'all think!

Oh man I think I need to change my Xmas list. By far the prettiest irons being released in 2014. Callaway stepping it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving all the pics so far. Those really are great clubs. Love the comparison pics. Those are always nice to able to visualize better against a club I have seen in person. Lookforward to everyone's thoughts on how they play.

I would say the regular Apex is more in line with the AP2, and the Pro is a while different animal in and of itself.

The pros say forged on the back.

a6emyna2.jpg

I thought the pro was brought out to compete with the AP2 and looking at the standard they have quite a big top line and head maybe AP1ish

That combo set looks sweet! These irons are going to be my first choice going into my fitting this spring. It appears to be a pretty smooth transition between the two sets. Do you anticipate any issues with the transition?

Not really. I honestly don't know if the lofts have been tweaked to help the transition--all I know is that Matt (the fitter at the testing) told me they would make sure the set flows. It is something I am going to keep an eye out for and will let you know if there is an issue.

The badging on the regular Apex looks great, they remind me of a couple other irons but sleeker and sharper.

Unboxed, Unwrapped, and bagged these beauties last night. It was already 1/2 dark when I got them out, but the front yard has some scarring on it from me swinging half the clubs a dozen or so times each.

The weight and balance feels awesome. Coming from Amp Cell's I think there's going to be a bit of a break-in period for my muscles/mind. Not to mention, Matt put me in 1/2 inch longer shafts. Mine are also supposed to be 1 flat, and I didn't even notice the color fill; I'll go look at that at lunch today.

Is it just me, or was anyone else super excited that the shaft labels by the hosel came right off? I get so tired of OEMs using stickers or crappy vinyl that sticks more than it should then you have to use heat/goo-gone to get the residue off. Not these babies; rip and go.

I have the old school 2G wraps on mine, which should serve me well going into the colder months. They are sticky as could be.
Speaking of which, I'll be busting out of work for a quick nine before sunset today and showing these off to whoever I can find!!

My son said something as he was looking at them last night that really, REALLY fit the situation, and something I couldn't have said better..."Dang, that was super cool of them (Callaway)". Yes it was, son, yes it was.

Anyone have an i20 to show a comparo pic? Curious of how they look vs what I'm playing. Thanks!

A test against ping g25, ap1 and speedbladez would be awesome! I got a fever, and the only prescription is callaway apex irons...

Is it just me, or was anyone else super excited that the shaft labels by the hosel came right off? I get so tired of OEMs using stickers or crappy vinyl that sticks more than it should then you have to use heat/goo-gone to get the residue off. Not these babies; rip and go.

Hey Sean, I noticed that too and it WAS a nice touch as the stickers came right off and didn't leave any residue on the club! I am about to leave and go to the range to get a feel for them and then off to play 36 and put them through their paces. I will report back when I am done.

Back