Callaway Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, and Chrome Soft Golf Balls

Quick 9 with Chrome Tour X today. This ball is awesome. Responsive, Long and feels great.

For reference, I still love the CSXLS ball and somehow I thought the CTX was not a fit for me from what it "should" do, but all I know is that is was freaking awesome today. Now I have a dilemma on my hands with CSXLS vs CTX. Not sure how they can both be great, but they are for me. Either way. I can't go wrong with the Callaway balls.

Last edited:
For me I prefer the feel of the CT more but the CTX is not as harsh of a feel as I would expect.
This is one of the big things I noticed when I first started testing the CT and CTX, even in colder temps(40s-50s). The CTX felt incredible off the putter face. I was going around the practice green asking friends to hit it I was so impressed. Some surprised faces when I said it was the X version of the new ball.

My weekly session of testing and getting swings in really highlited something for me:

Hitting PW, 58 and 50° wedges today, something was off. I was hitting the simulator provided balls today (much loved and beat up), instead of the Chrome Soft and Tour that I had only been hitting since I got them. Spin was way out of whack. Launch and descent angles were all kinds of messed up too.

I present data for consideration. Still fighting swing faults but figured the 50° 3/4 swing was about as consistent as I could be:
1000017656.jpg
Shots 51, 52, 53, 58, 60 as shown are Chrome Tour (the ball that has at least 600 strikes on it). 54 to 57 were "Range" balls (practice Pro V's that had been beat to death).

Chrome Tour the spin stayed consistent (between 8399 and 9000 rpm), 26-27° launch, 43 to 44° descent angle.

The Range ball? 3349 to 5074 spin, launch 33.6 to 37°, descent 47.4 to 49.8°.

Never thought there would be such a staggering difference in spin, even the launch/descent change surprised me.

My weekly session of testing and getting swings in really highlited something for me:

Hitting PW, 58 and 50° wedges today, something was off. I was hitting the simulator provided balls today (much loved and beat up), instead of the Chrome Soft and Tour that I had only been hitting since I got them. Spin was way out of whack. Launch and descent angles were all kinds of messed up too.

I present data for consideration. Still fighting swing faults but figured the 50° 3/4 swing was about as consistent as I could be:
View attachment 9249443
Shots 51, 52, 53, 58, 60 as shown are Chrome Tour (the ball that has at least 600 strikes on it). 54 to 57 were "Range" balls (practice Pro V's that had been beat to death).

Chrome Tour the spin stayed consistent (between 8399 and 9000 rpm), 26-27° launch, 43 to 44° descent angle.

The Range ball? 3349 to 5074 spin, launch 33.6 to 37°, descent 47.4 to 49.8°.

Never thought there would be such a staggering difference in spin, even the launch/descent change surprised me.
Cut the spin by over 50%, that's pretty amazing. Especially considering that it wasn't even "old range ball vs. brand new out of the box ball", that CT has 6-7 rounds worth of strikes on it.

Cut the spin by over 50%, that's pretty amazing. Especially considering that it wasn't even "old range ball vs. brand new out of the box ball", that CT has 6-7 rounds worth of strikes on it.
I couldn't understand why the spin numbers of the day were all weird.....

Yeah it was the balls.

Okay just wrapped up a little ball test leading up to the Goat Cup.
20 swings with each, 10 with wedge and 10 with 7 iron.
Chrome Tour vs Chrome Soft

I really like both balls quite a bit. Chrome Tour giving me a bit more speed. Chrome Soft taking spin down a few hundred rpms.
I feel like I can fall either way, but lean towards Chrome Tour.
I did a test yesterday with chrome tour and chrome tour x and I feel in that chrome tour line as well.. I really figured I would fall under the x bu I was wrong. I ordered .y four dozen for the price of 3 last night

Callaway releases a lot of great products, but I'm not sure they have anything that is as impressive as the ball. Maybe the driver forgiveness, but its hard to quantify the confidence I have in the ball stopping on wedges shots into greens

I played in a howling wind today. The CT is a fantastic wind ball. I saw a lot of stability. I also saw some great spin with wedge play. It’s a really intoxicating ball to play.
That is great feedback especially this time of year. Is your normal shot high or on the mid-low side?

First round tomorrow! Might switch between CT and CTX just to get an initial feel for both

Chrome Tour is the fastest ball I’ve hit this year. Noticeably faster.

That is great feedback especially this time of year. Is your normal shot high or on the mid-low side?
I think that for my swing speed, I am mid to high.

Chrome Tour is the fastest ball I’ve hit this year. Noticeably faster.
This has been my experience as well. I’m seeing more ball speed and it’s really translating into more distance

IMG_9086.jpeg

My previous 6i with Chrome Soft would have a 6i at about 148 or so. Not only am I seeing better distance but also more stopping power to hit the green and grip!

Old guy here. Been playing the Chrome soft for a couple of years. Tried the Chrome Tour and it was very similar to the Pro V1. Felt heavy for lack of a better description. Found a Chrome Tour x on the course today and was pleasantly surprised. Felt lighter and faster than the other Chrome balls. I know it's not for my swing speed but I quite liked it.. Going to get a sleeve and test further.

Old guy here. Been playing the Chrome soft for a couple of years. Tried the Chrome Tour and it was very similar to the Pro V1. Felt heavy for lack of a better description. Found a Chrome Tour x on the course today and was pleasantly surprised. Felt lighter and faster than the other Chrome balls. I know it's not for my swing speed but I quite liked it.. Going to get a sleeve and test further.
Glad you were able to try out a few things. It definitely reinforces that everyone's experience and results will be different. Try a few things and pick the best for you! Let us know how the sleeve testing goes!

Played an entire round with one Chrome Tour ball today. It’s actually not as bad as I thought originally. It’s a solid performer with decent stopping power but I think I prefer the Chrome Tour X. It’s close though. My ball had a lot less movement on it today. It’s good and bad. I can put a rough swing on it and still get some decent results. But I have to try harder to shape the ball.

Distance is good. Better than I expected, really. I saw the numbers I was expecting with my new for 24 driver with the Chrome Soft X as my baseline. There were a few shots that I ended up further from the hole than I wanted. I’m talking 10 ft. compared to 3-5 with the CTX. I’m being picky here. It’s a solid performer that’s gonna make my choice tougher.

Meant to take a picture of the 2 balls from my round Saturday. Noticeable wear but I expected it with brand new wedges and it wasn’t something that made the balls unplayable by any means

I really can’t tell much of a difference off the putter between CT and CTX. At least on my living room carpet they feel and sound about the same.

I don't have access to any monitors so I just judge the on course results. So far the Tour is longer on drives. I achieved my longest distances on 3 holes that I have been playing the last 10 years.
But I really like the spin of the X on short shots around the green.

I know that this has been mentioned, but the Chrome Tour performs great in adverse wind conditions. I played today in a steady 10 MPH wind, and this ball holds its line without ballooning.

I know that this has been mentioned, but the Chrome Tour performs great in adverse wind conditions. I played today in a steady 10 MPH wind, and this ball holds its line without ballooning.
I've had better results with this in the wind than anything I've played. Took 9 holes and then an angry range session to get a real swing though

Time to dive into this thread, currently have a sleeve of the X balls as we don’t have the tours up here yet but I am liking what I am seeing so far. Love the triple track alignment

Was playing the Chrome tour at my tour event. The spin off my jaws was amazing. My 58 had numerous flop shots including one out of the deep rough over a bunker that back spinned to the hole for a tap in birdie. Maybe it’s just me but it just seems to launch off my irons and was golden all day from the fairway and par 3’s. My foursome commented on my wedge game which was pretty awesome to hear after my wedge play last year.

CTX is an awesome ball.

Chrome Soft is a solid performer in the wind too. We've had a couple of 10-15 mph days and I've liked how it performs.

I have cleaned out my bag of all other golf balls except the CTX. Both rounds this weekend in the 70's and i had the driver working well yesterday. I nuked some drives that were farther down than normal. I also hit some that i thought were short but the CTX still had the distance. We did have some wind on Sat and the CTX does very well in those conditions. I am super happy to have the TT back i was putting better all weekend also!

Back