Callaway Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, and Chrome Soft Golf Balls

Ohhhh boy. I'm going to have some fun this year trying to figure out what ball is for me. Might come down to what they can do around the green but that won't be settled for a little while with how shaggy they still are around here. So let's get in to other things I saw last night using the CT and CTX!

I was essentially comparing two things yesterday since I can't really figure out greenside play yet. What I was seeing off of driver and what I was seeing off of irons. Off of driver, both balls flew pretty similarly. Both had drives over 300 and both had the same fairway stats. What I was a little shocked by is how close they felt to each other. I've spoken about it on the putter saying that I think the X actually feels softer there. Well the CT is softer off the driver, but not enough that you ask me to tell you blindly which one is which. I love that. Essentially a tie but CT had the best drive of the day overall.

Off the irons, the difference was purely in flight and it was highlighted by a 210 shot with my 5i that @Bus can attest to. I was playing new irons so instead of going for the green with my driving iron, I put both balls down and hit my 5i knowing I'd come up a tad short. First up was the CT and it was a perfect fading lower launching bullet. More the flight and window I'm used to seeing regardless of ball. Next up was the CTX and oh my. Another perfect shot but the launch was a thing of beauty. Higher than I'm used to. Not ballooning or anything, but I've always been a lower launcher of that ball throughout the bag so this was something I'd rarely seen before and I LOVED it. The wind was blowing a bit and it looked like it didn't even touch it. Both balls ended up within a yard of each other but did it in completely different ways. I wish I could have seen the landing area just to see how far they actually carried.

The rest of the night saw the same thing with irons and wedges. Bit higher launch with the X but still going exactly how far I wanted it to. I'd have to give the X the advantage based clearly on how cool it was for me lol but the CT obviously was performing exactly how it's supposed to. I've never actually seen such a noticeable difference like that before.

I'm guessing my choice will come down to green play for me but it will still be a bit before I will see that take shape. As of now, you could hand me either of these and I'd be perfectly content to play them. This is going to be a fun year!
Seems like people are seeing more spin around the green with the CTX, which isn't a huge surprise. The CT helps keep my iron spin where I like it to be and the greenside spin is in line with the XLS, so been very happy there.

Seems like people are seeing more spin around the green with the CTX, which isn't a huge surprise. The CT helps keep my iron spin where I like it to be and the greenside spin is in line with the XLS, so been very happy there.
Yeah I'm not doubting I'll see more spin once the greens actually turn to greens. But I've never been one to rip the ball back or anything. So if I can stop it where it lands, with either of them, I'm a happy camper. I'm more intrigued about the pitch and chip shots I'll see moving forward

I played 9 holes Sunday with the Yellow CTX first time out this season. Very confused as it just got beat up IMO. Four holes in I'm like WTF. I was in a SIM playing it this winter and thought it was perfectly fine regarding durability. Now this. I bought 3 dozen switching from ProV1X but I can't play this ball if it only lasts a few holes. Hoping it was just a weird thing but we'll see. Loved the performance.

Guys i've talked to that say the CTX feels softer off putter...i believe are feeling the cover more in it. where as full swing one really can feel the core softness in the CT. I hear a more muted sound with teh CT over CTX when I putt with my AiOne Milled. I equate that to a "softer ball". But i'm not "feeling it" in my hands. Im sound over feel in that situation.

As for the wind performance......the more you play the CT and CTX outside you're going to see the new seamless aero is not marketing. it's a great ball in limited the impact of wind.
The wind performance is real. I've think I've mentioned it a couple of times here and there, but that was the thing that stood out to me the most playing the CT the first time (I have yet to try the CTX or CS). Hadn't really played a ball that got through the wind that well.

I was coming to ask kind of the same question.

Played the CSX, didn’t think the CTX translated well. Curious what others say though or if anyone went CSX -> CT
I’m a csx player and only have time with the CTX. For me it’s a touch firmer off the driver and might spin slightly more ( eye test) but irons wedges and putters it fells and performs a lot better

I played 9 holes Sunday with the Yellow CTX first time out this season. Very confused as it just got beat up IMO. Four holes in I'm like WTF. I was in a SIM playing it this winter and thought it was perfectly fine regarding durability. Now this. I bought 3 dozen switching from ProV1X but I can't play this ball if it only lasts a few holes. Hoping it was just a weird thing but we'll see. Loved the performance.
I played last night with the yellow CTX and it still looks brand new. I’d look at more than one ball. I’m sure you should be fine

I’m a fan of the Chrome Tour!

image.jpg

Definitely not the case for me...

I have gotten two rounds out of two CTs. Others I've taken out of play because of tree or cart path scars, and one was taken out because it lost it's shiny luster. Anyway, I'm definitely getting much more use/durability out of the CTs than you are the CTSx.

That seems odd. I have not been easy on some of my CTX and not had an unplayable ball yet. I even smacked a few trees and it was just fine.

Sorry that happened, haven’t seen that level of issue with the Chrome Tour but I do see some scuffing after a round on a ball. I’d expect it with the covering but it’s very minor and still very playable for me

That looks glorious. It must feel like looking into a treasure chest.
Yeah, had some points to spend, so definitely glad to see the buy 3 get 1 free sale going!

Chrome Tour is an absolute gem. Super happy with it from tee to green. Checks the boxes for me: it helps manage and keep my iron spin where I want it, doesn’t balloon and is great in the wind; love the ball flight and is durable.

I found the new ERC Soft fade on the course and it looks really cool. Would game it if it came out for the Chrome Tour.
IMG_8857.jpegIMG_8855.jpeg

Last edited:
Ohhhh boy. I'm going to have some fun this year trying to figure out what ball is for me. Might come down to what they can do around the green but that won't be settled for a little while with how shaggy they still are around here. So let's get in to other things I saw last night using the CT and CTX!

I was essentially comparing two things yesterday since I can't really figure out greenside play yet. What I was seeing off of driver and what I was seeing off of irons. Off of driver, both balls flew pretty similarly. Both had drives over 300 and both had the same fairway stats. What I was a little shocked by is how close they felt to each other. I've spoken about it on the putter saying that I think the X actually feels softer there. Well the CT is softer off the driver, but not enough that you ask me to tell you blindly which one is which. I love that. Essentially a tie but CT had the best drive of the day overall.

Off the irons, the difference was purely in flight and it was highlighted by a 210 shot with my 5i that @Bus can attest to. I was playing new irons so instead of going for the green with my driving iron, I put both balls down and hit my 5i knowing I'd come up a tad short. First up was the CT and it was a perfect fading lower launching bullet. More the flight and window I'm used to seeing regardless of ball. Next up was the CTX and oh my. Another perfect shot but the launch was a thing of beauty. Higher than I'm used to. Not ballooning or anything, but I've always been a lower launcher of that ball throughout the bag so this was something I'd rarely seen before and I LOVED it. The wind was blowing a bit and it looked like it didn't even touch it. Both balls ended up within a yard of each other but did it in completely different ways. I wish I could have seen the landing area just to see how far they actually carried.

The rest of the night saw the same thing with irons and wedges. Bit higher launch with the X but still going exactly how far I wanted it to. I'd have to give the X the advantage based clearly on how cool it was for me lol but the CT obviously was performing exactly how it's supposed to. I've never actually seen such a noticeable difference like that before.

I'm guessing my choice will come down to green play for me but it will still be a bit before I will see that take shape. As of now, you could hand me either of these and I'd be perfectly content to play them. This is going to be a fun year!
Chrome Tour will be heading to Briggs.

I'll lose the anime gods x ls in the mean time.

Chrome Tour is an absolute gem. Super happy with it from tee to green. Checks the boxes for me: it helps manage and keep my iron spin where I want it, doesn’t balloon and is great in the wind; love the ball flight and is durable.

I found the new ERC Soft splatter on the course and it looks really cool. Would game it if it came out for the Chrome Tour.
View attachment 9250540View attachment 9250541
That’s the Fade. And it’s awesome too! ERC has cool alignment options!

First off let’s talk feel! I hit some balls in the garage tonight and just grabbed a few out of the bucket without looking. The first swing and I muttered a wtf because the ball felt so different of the club face. Well lone behold the ball was a different brand. It’s funny how when you are in love with a ball you know immediately when you are hitting something else…literally. The Chrome Tour line feels so good!!!

So about a month ago I started an experiment on durability while hitting in a contained indoor environment between the Chrome Tour and the CSXLS. It is plain to see that the CT outside of one blemish looks light years better than the CSX.

IMG_2913.jpeg

image.jpg

One of the cooler things I’ve bought recently

Back