Callaway HEX Black and Chrome balls

My only concern would be having dirt get in the cracks over time and it affecting playability. I did send some back to Callaway and got them replaced, but they did not say much about why it was happening. Yep, love them Chromes.
I guess that could happen never really thought about it that much. I did find that the cracks seemed to happen more for me with the BLacks than with the Chromes, but it won't stop me from playing those balls. I love everything about them, and the cover is crazy durable outside of hex cracks and I"m not even sure that cracks is the right word. They are more like........lines? I'm not sure, someone smarter than me can probably come up with a good description.

I guess that could happen never really thought about it that much. I did find that the cracks seemed to happen more for me with the BLacks than with the Chromes, but it won't stop me from playing those balls. I love everything about them, and the cover is crazy durable outside of hex cracks and I"m not even sure that cracks is the right word. They are more like........lines? I'm not sure, someone smarter than me can probably come up with a good description.

I have seen them, and I guess I would call them a fissure.

What ever it is, it doesn't seem to affect the way the ball plays at all....I have a few balls that I have played for 36 holes or more that I moved into my practice bag and they were still as long and as repsonsive as the moment I put them in play! I have no complaints about this ball what so ever......okay other than I wished they would make the Black in the yellow color as well!

I have seen them, and I guess I would call them a fissure.

What ever it is, it doesn't seem to affect the way the ball plays at all....I have a few balls that I have played for 36 holes or more that I moved into my practice bag and they were still as long and as repsonsive as the moment I put them in play! I have no complaints about this ball what so ever......okay other than I wished they would make the Black in the yellow color as well!
Fissure is ok, but when you think fissure you think deep and they really are only on the surface. Either way, these are the best tour level balls I think Callaway has ever put out.

Fissure is ok, but when you think fissure you think deep and they really are only on the surface. Either way, these are the best tour level balls I think Callaway has ever put out.

Yeah you are probably right...fissure is not good....I don't know what to call them either, but they don't seem to affect the way the ball plays one bit!

To me it looks just like wear from a wedge shot. Could it be because of the hex pattern of the dimples its making it appear like its just along the hex pattern. Thats really the only place to show the wear.

I had a Black looking like that today after only 2 holes. It didn't seem to affect it any and I played out the day with it but I was a little surprised that it marked up so quick.

I played the Chrome yellows yesterday for most of the round. I really wanted to like them - yellow is easier for me to see. They felt dead off the driver for me, but very nice on the putter. However, the last hole I played with a V1X and it just felt so much better. I only wish they came in yellow too.

Got my second round in with the Black. I am 100% positive that I found my ball. I love the lack of side spin off the driver and it has just enough bite to stop on greens.

Played the entire 18 with the same ball and it has two of those little cracks. Noticed them at hole 15 and aside from that, the ball is flawless. After playing both Chrome and Black, I feel that the Black is more durable.

One thing I find interesting is that I don't have a high swing speed and felt that I compressed this ball with ease. Had a few of those pure shots where the ball just jumps off the face. All in all a very predictable ball, easy to shape, straight off the tee and plenty of short game spin. Thanks to the Morgan Cup Callaway staffers for getting me steered in the HEX Black's direction.

Just curious for those using the chrome, do you actually have <95mph? I ask cause I was killing this ball off the tee and I believe I'm in the 105 mph SS range and saw some great drives. Has me pondering a switch!

I have read through quite a bit of this thread but there were some major skim parts... My question falls in line with TH1's, My SS is around 105 (sometimes lower 100's sometimes up to 110) and wonder about the Chrome as it seems like the best fit for me irregardless of the stated SS recommendations.

Got my second round in with the Black. I am 100% positive that I found my ball. I love the lack of side spin off the driver and it has just enough bite to stop on greens.

Played the entire 18 with the same ball and it has two of those little cracks. Noticed them at hole 15 and aside from that, the ball is flawless. After playing both Chrome and Black, I feel that the Black is more durable.

One thing I find interesting is that I don't have a high swing speed and felt that I compressed this ball with ease. Had a few of those pure shots where the ball just jumps off the face. All in all a very predictable ball, easy to shape, straight off the tee and plenty of short game spin. Thanks to the Morgan Cup Callaway staffers for getting me steered in the HEX Black's direction.

Glad you are liking the Hex Blacks.....do yourself a favor and check on ebay...I just picked up another 2 dozen, brand new in the box for $59 and free shipping....and they got in 3 days via US Mail.......that's less than $30 a dozen...tough to beat at that price!

I have been using this ball exclusively for the past 5 rounds. I am telling everyone that I know that it is the best ball I have gamed - which is the truth.

I have read through quite a bit of this thread but there were some major skim parts... My question falls in line with TH1's, My SS is around 105 (sometimes lower 100's sometimes up to 110) and wonder about the Chrome as it seems like the best fit for me irregardless of the stated SS recommendations.

Well, this is just my opinion based on my experience, but I think some of this ball selection based only on SS is baloney. According to most manufacturers, with my 90mph swing speed, no way should I be playing the Black. However, I thouroughly tried this ball against all comers, including the chrome, and it is by far the best ball I have ever gamed.

So I just wanted to update this as I decided to give the HEX Chrome another try today because I figured why not, I still have half a dozen so I may as well use them and give them another shot. I have said in here during my previous testing of them I found out they had to much side spin off the tee and did not see a distance advantage over the HEX Black Tour well today they impressed the heck out of me. I was not seeing all that side spin off the tee I was before and on 2 drives I was well over my average driver distance. I forgot I even had the MOBITEE GPS app on my phone until after the 7th hole so I got that up and running and GPS'ed my drive on hole 9 (par 5) at 260 yards and 289 yards on hole 11 (par4) which is a personal long drive of the year and longest ever in very wet conditions like it was today. I am not a long hitter at all, my normal drive with a smooth swing is 230-250 range, I really did nothing different on these drives that were well above average for me, I didnt swing out of my shoes, just put my normal driver swing on it. The other tee shot's that I GPS'ed with the app were in my normal 230-250 range. On the 289 one I almost put it in the creek which I am usually a good 30-40 yards behind. I am going to continue to use these to see if they keep performing the way they did today because if they do I dont think I can pass up this ball at the price. They spin around the greens a ton as well. Not as durable as the HBT but still a durable ball. Just pretty shocked after todays round to say the least.
Ignore the #'s to the hole on the left as I took this screen capture on a different hole so they are not correct.
GPS.png

Last edited:
I placed an order for the Hex Chromes and hope to test them out later this week. Debated between the Chrome and the Black and decided on the Chrome. We shall see.

Finally got a chance to play the Black today against the Chromes. I won't be switching. For me the Black was firmer (firmer than I prefer, in line with the feel of the Penta), did not stop as well on the greens, did not carry as far, gave me less distance off of all clubs, and had just as much side-spin as the Chromes off the tee. The Chrome is hands down superior for me in every possible way. Plus, they come in yellow. :)

For those that have compared the Chrome vs the Black; Isn't the Chrome supposed to reduce spin off the tee and supposedly people aren't seeing that?

For those that have compared the Chrome vs the Black; Isn't the Chrome supposed to reduce spin off the tee and supposedly people aren't seeing that?

I'm seeing the opposite. I seem to get a little more spin off the tee with the Chrome

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I'm seeing the opposite. I seem to get a little more spin off the tee with the Chrome

Same here Chunky

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Same here Chunky

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Well... Darn. I guess I ordered the wrong ball. Not that I have an issue with slicing off the tee, but I guess i'll just have to see what happens.

The Chrome is the "spinnier" of the 2 balls, if you have issues with sidespin, then the Chrome could amplify that.

The Chrome is a lower compression ball therefore easier to spin for somepeople.

For me, I have no problem compressing the Blacks and get plenty of spin..as far as distance, the difference to me is neglible...it was the extra side spin with the Chrome that led me to the Black.

Well, if anyone has a dozen Blacks and wants to trade for a NIB dozen Chromes, send me a PM, lol.

The Chrome is the "spinnier" of the 2 balls, if you have issues with sidespin, then the Chrome could amplify that.

The Chrome is a lower compression ball therefore easier to spin for somepeople.

For me, I have no problem compressing the Blacks and get plenty of spin..as far as distance, the difference to me is neglible...it was the extra side spin with the Chrome that led me to the Black.

I have yet to see any side spin off of the chromes.

I've played the Blacks for the past 4 rounds and just bought 4 dozen to keep me going. I haven't played the Chrome's but I can compare them to the e6's and 330RX as I've played those two balls extensively over the past 12 months. I've always thought of the e6 as a distance ball, but I haven't lost any yards with the Blacks - in fact I may have gained some. Probably slightly more side spin but nothing excessive. I only had one drive get away from me yesterday.

Compared to the 330RX these are about a full club longer for me. It's always puzzled me why my 95-100 mph swing speed can't get along with the RX in terms of distance.

I for one actually like the firm feel off the face that these provide. The greenside spin is really good, much better then the e6 obviously and about on par with the 330RX.

Mike

Sorry if this has been discussed, I skimmed some but didn't see it. Anyone compared the Qstar to the Hex? I've been playing the Qstar with great success for the last year; highly reduced side-spin, solid distance, decent feel around the greens. Should I consider a change???

Back