Callaway HEX Chrome+ Golf Ball Review Thread

After a long tiring day, I come home to this... I guess I won it. It adds to my dozen boxes of bridgestone balls...
reta6ahu.jpg

Is this where I announce it?

Performed pretty similarly to the Black off a wedge for me. That's a good thing. 1/4 swings were getting some good spin off tight lies. Will put them in play on Sunday to see how they fare off full swings.

Hawk, I think you will like them a good bit.

I played the same ball for 18 on Saturday, and then 9 again today. Quite impressed that it's still in great shape, not much for wear or marks. Love how improved the Chrome is off the tee, while I didnt see a bunch of side spin like others did off the tee from the Chrome last year, the Chrome+ just seems a bit longer than last years.

Impressive spin on irons and full wedge shots for sure, but getting a long iron to hop and stop when hitting in to a green is a big plus for me. I had quite a few knock down wedge type shots today that made the Chrome+ shine! Love the hop and stop I see with it. No doubt this is my gamer for a while.

Performed pretty similarly to the Black off a wedge for me. That's a good thing. 1/4 swings were getting some good spin off tight lies. Will put them in play on Sunday to see how they fare off full swings.

I was spinning them like a mad man at Twisted Dune last Friday off of half wedge shots - motoo was yelling at me to stop.

Love this ball.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I don't know if anyone has been around the yellow ones, so here they are, there's some sharpie highlighters for comparison.

IMG_20130509_200254_798_zps149d3b48.jpg

IMG_20130509_200318_212_zpsbf10d234.jpg

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Played this ball today. Had to remove 2 of them from play due to the scuff marks. The wedges seem to really make a mark on these balls. The cover is super soft. Like everything else about the ball but need to see if this keeps happening with the scuff marks.

Played this ball today. Had to remove 2 of them from play due to the scuff marks. The wedges seem to really make a mark on these balls. The cover is super soft. Like everything else about the ball but need to see if this keeps happening with the scuff marks.

The only time that I have ever seen any marks on these balls are the time I caught a tree last week. I don't recall seeing any other marks on any of the balls that I have put in play.

The only time that I have ever seen any marks on these balls are the time I caught a tree last week. I don't recall seeing any other marks on any of the balls that I have put in play.
That could have been it too.........:D

Andrew found a splinter in his today....half wedged into the ball.

This is a good ball. Reduces size spin, flys king, and all will moderate green side spin. Nice value.

Once these are available at my pro shop I'm planning on snagging a sleeve. I really want to see the performance benefits over the normal Chrome.

My only gripe- I want some of the yellow ones!

I've officially put 36 straight holes on a Chrome+ and it still looks new.

Played it for the first time today. Normally play the Hex Black, but thought I'd give this a shot so I had the club order me a dozen.

Wasn't swinging the driver well enough today to even compare, but I REALLY liked this ball inside 100 yards. Had great luck with some tough shots around the green. Made me happy.

Looking forward to playing again tomorrow and seeing if I can put some good driver swings on it to compare.

Snap hooked from my Galaxy S3

Going to the course on Thurday and/or Friday. Gonna pick up a sleeve of Chrome +, Black Tour, and (not pertaining to this thread) Bridgestones. (don't know which model. Gonna do a comparison between those and my Q-Stars and normal Chromes.

Got these on the course Saturday morning. It was about 70 degrees, cloudy and fairly windy. I haven't played Callaway balls in a while but I think the claim that the Hex pattern helps in the wind is legit. I wasn't seeing as much distance loss with these as I do with the B330 RX.

From the tee: these really have a nice trajectory and good distance. The ball flight is slightly lower than my Bridgstones and the distance gain is minimal. I am OK with the fact I didn't gain much distance, what intrigued me about these was the claim of reduced side spin. I hit 10 of 14 fairways Saturday helping me to my best score of the year. Only one of the missed fairways was a bad miss. How much was the ball and how much did a better swing contribute? Only time will tell but I know the ball helped off the tee, I certainly wasn't grooving my driver Saturday.

Mid/Long Irons: I didn't hit these well Saturday...luckily I didn't have to hit many. Similar result to my tee shots...I definitely saw a reduction in side spin. The only green I hit with a mid/ling iron was a 7 iron, uphill from 150 and I hit about 3 ft on the green and it spun back off the green.

Short irons/wedges: Like others have said, this ball really shined here. For $36 a dozen I am very pleased with the spin. These bite harder than my Bridgestones from 130 and in.

Around the green: very nice spin. You can get it to bite if you want or you can get a nice roll out if needed. The ball was quite responsive and the feel was great. I am not one with a great short game but it was on target Saturday. They dont spin like the higher priced balls of course but they don't claim to. They fit my short game very well.

Putting: I like the feel of these of my Cameron. It does make a harsh click if you don't square it off the putter face, but I kinda like that. It gives me good feedback that my putting stroke was off and helped me understand if I didn't read the speed correctly of if I just hit it poorly.

Durability: Played with one ball the whole round. Thanks to the high number of wedge shots and one drive off a cart path, it wont last any longer. I really should have pulled it about 15 holes in (even before the cart path) but I was playing pretty well and figured I would just finish the round with it. However, compared to my Bridgestones, I would have to call this one even. I just didnt see any increased durability but since these are $10 cheaper and there was no decrease in durability then I am happy.

Verdict: Looks like a new gamer for me. All around better ball for me than the Bridgestone B300-RX. Also quite cheaper new and hopefully even cheaper when these start showing up on the lost golf balls websites. I play with a guy who shoots even par most of the time and he uses the ProV1x, I don't think he would like this ball. So if you have the ability to work the ball, a high swing speed and you cant actually use the performance characteristics of the ProV1 then you may not like it...then again you may. At $36 it's certainly worth a shot.

Thanks again to Callaway for the free dozen in the Hit The Links promo.

Put the Chrome+ in play on Saturday.

Handled the wind very well off the tee in my opinion. Maybe not so much off the irons, though I seem to be putting quite a bit of spin on the ball with them at the moment. It was a good three club wind and I was still short a couple times when I felt like I'd hit the ball really well. My fault for not trying to hit the ball lower, but I was curious.

Back to the driver, I hit a couple that were what I'd consider long, especially when dealing with wind. Ball flight was pretty typical for me. Mid to high, depending on the swing. Got some roll out as well, which I like to see.

Very much reminded me of the Hex Black when it came to wedge play. Lots of spin and I had some great success controlling distance. Durability wasn't an issue for me that I can recall and I didn't really feel the same way about the Hex Black when I played it last weekend.

I know it's trivial, but I do not like the red "+" sign on the alignment aid. I rarely get bothered by that type of thing, but it's not something I liked. Still, didn't have a negative effect with putting. I just prefer the line on the Hex Black.

I'd play this one any day. Great ball, especially for the price point.

Looking forward to putting this one in play today. Hate spinny balls off of the driver, and I like the sounds of it.

Thanks Callaway and LinkedIn

I played 18 holes today, using both the Hex Black and Chrome+ at different times. No really specific time or reason that I played one vs the other on each hole. Just went with the one that I pulled from my pocket.

In truth, I don't see much difference between the two. Both are quite long off the tee when I'm swinging well. Ball flight is my typical high flight and saw some great carry with both. Both rolled out decently for me as well.

Wouldn't be able to tell you which was which off of wedges if you had me blind test them. Both deliver enough spin that I can stop partial swings quickly. I lean towards saying the + is more durable, but I can't make that kind of call with just a couple rounds under the belt.

I stand by the assertion that I don't like the red + sign :D

For the price, I'd probably just buy the Chrome+ at this point, though there is part of me that still prefers the Black for some intangible reason. Super shallow, but I think I like the name better and the alignment aid. Not really worth $10+ though.

Just a note Sang-Moon Bae won the Byron Nelson this week with these in play.

Picked up a dozen of these today, can't wait to put them in play later this week and compare them to the Chromes I've been loving. I've decided to make the winner of this showdown the only ball I play and see if the consistency of playing only one ball will help my game.

Played these again Saturday. Played a much harder/tighter course than the first time but these performed great off the tee again. quite straight and good distance. the sound off the driver this time was very different...much louder for some reason, but I really liked it. I don't feel like I have to compromise spin with my short irons and/or around the green with these either. They still don't back up or one hop and stop for me but I have hardly ever been able to do that. Overall for the price I really see no reason (for me) to play anything else at this time.

I really like this ball. The rbladez chrome + combo feels amazing.

I'm not a person that sees a lot of come backs on the green, whether it's me or the greens who knows, but this ball is always near the ball mark.

Feels good off the putter, feels awesome off my irons and wedges, and good of the driver.

I've managed to slice three balls off into the unknown because of my driver issues but I had 5 rounds on one with minimal damage, real good considering I nailed some trees with it.

Gonna have to get a dozen of the white ones now, and a dozen 330 rx to compare, now that my game has come around again.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

I'd agree that it's a fast stopper. I put too much juice on a 1/4 swing PW yesterday and the ball saved me with a quick hop and stop that ended up three feet from it's mark. No spin and I would have still had a wedge in my hand.

Call me crazy, but I can't do the Cally yellow.

Back