Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers

Going to experiment with some loft today. Been a long time since I’ve went anywhere above 9*. Going to try the Max at 9+1

Question for those that have adjusted the APW to try and dial in flight and dispersion. Do you find it working better than previous releases? The last time I tinkered with the APW in a Callaway head I didn't see as much help as others. I am wondering if with the overall head design with Smoke it that allows the APW to really help dial in the ball flight along with the cog settings.
For the APW, I have it set completely to draw, and see a massive hook/draw.
Switching it to neutral, it it definitely less noticeable.
Switching to Fade? Well, I honestly don't know if I have done that yet.

Overall though, I think the weight savings in the head overall, and the placement of the weight that is there, really amps up the adjustability when moving things around.

much appreciated. I tend to do better with more upright lie angle which would lead me towards the Max D, but it sounds like the Max D is more draw biased than the Paradym X. Given my stats with the X I don't want to be even more left-biased.
Honestly I’m a little surprised there was that much of a change. That’s a lot of movement.

Honestly I’m a little surprised there was that much of a change. That’s a lot of movement.
yeah, a 3 deg jump is definitely bigger than I would have guessed

alright crew, looks like the schedule is open, tonight we test the Max and Max D against the Paradym X

Hopefully a light at the end of the tunnel soon. Lesson scheduled for next Tuesday, and I hope that by this time next week I will at least have a concept of what I am doing so aggregiously wrong, and have a plan. The little things at this point. Starting to get excited again!
Hopefully you can get sorted in time for golf season.

Question for those that have adjusted the APW to try and dial in flight and dispersion. Do you find it working better than previous releases? The last time I tinkered with the APW in a Callaway head I didn't see as much help as others. I am wondering if with the overall head design with Smoke it that allows the APW to really help dial in the ball flight along with the cog settings.

I think so. With the reduced curve I am seeing on the ball, not so much leftward movement I had to change the APW from full fade back to the center.

Wunder did a fun little test on this. I don’t feel like drawing eyes away from the forum, so see below :)

Loft up +2 (8.5 to 10.5)
Loft down -1 (8.5 to 7.5)
Upright +3 (56 to 59)
Neutral (8.5, 56)
Strong lofted tip:
Loft up +1 (8.5 to 9.5)
Loft down -2 (8.5 to 6.5)
Upright +3 (56 to 59)
Neutral (8.5, 56)
Flat tip:
Loft up +2 (8.5 to 10.5)
Loft down -1 (8.5 to 7.5)
Upright +2 (56 to 58)
Flat -.75 (56 to 55.25)
Neutral (8.5, 56)
If I'm reading this right, that is more upright adjustment from the Draw setting than I expected.

much appreciated. I tend to do better with more upright lie angle which would lead me towards the Max D, but it sounds like the Max D is more draw biased than the Paradym X. Given my stats with the X I don't want to be even more left-biased.
The Max D is definitely more draw biased and from what I see, because of this is skin can get lower as well as a closed face drops spin.

The beauty of the Max is that in the draw lie angle and the weight in the heel, you can get as much as 16 yards of left bias.
If you loft up it also closes the face and can add even more...

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Not by a noticeable margin with the dual cog system of Callaway drivers. Does it change the face angle? ever so slightly. but not to a degree of a fixed sleeve like Cobra or Taylormade as examples

The Max D is definitely more draw biased and from what I see, because of this is skin can get lower as well as a closed face drops spin.

The beauty of the Max is that in the draw lie angle and the weight in the heel, you can get as much as 16 yards of left bias.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
Given my move dropping spin isn't a bad thing. I live north of 3k. Excited to see how it plays out

Why did you go Max instead of Max D from coming from the X?

(why am I getting sucked in… :oops:)
the other tidbit about the X verse Max D......the X was not a true draw bias driver. the Ai Smoke Max D is. Given @BigMac 's description, this is in part why he was fit into the Max.

If I'm reading this right, that is more upright adjustment from the Draw setting than I expected.
Read it the same way I did. Explains why I hit everything off the planet left when I put the wrong cog setting

Is there anyone here using one of the AI Smoke drivers who was a fan of the standard Mavrik? I've been using Mavrik for a couple years now and find it to be a nice combo of performance, feel, sound and look at address. I'm super tempted by AI Smoke (thinking TD) and wondering if anyone can tell me what they've seen comparing the two. Thanks. 🙂

Is there anyone here using one of the AI Smoke drivers who was a fan of the standard Mavrik? I've been using Mavrik for a couple years now and find it to be a nice combo of performance, feel, sound and look at address. I'm super tempted by AI Smoke (thinking TD) and wondering if anyone can tell me what they've seen comparing the two. Thanks. 🙂

I was a huge Maverick fan two drivers ago. Went with the Rogue ST as it was a little more consistent for me, and now onto the Smoke. I think the story here is forgiveness on mishits. Early stuff but I feel like centered drives go about the same distance, but the distance I'm seeing on mishits is noticeably longer than both my previous drivers.

I played the Mavrik TD for a bit. The Paradym TD was better for me than the Mav and the Smoke TD is an improvement of the Paradym. I think you will see a noticeable improvement on the consistency in ballspeed, carry, and spin on the misshits.

the other tidbit about the X verse Max D......the X was not a true draw bias driver. the Ai Smoke Max D is. Given @BigMac 's description, this is in part why he was fit into the Max.
That's what gives me a little pause. Do I give up some of the forgiveness I got with the X by moving to the Smoke Max? Not sure I need more left bias at the moment. Excited to see how it plays out tonight, hopefully

That's what gives me a little pause. Do I give up some of the forgiveness I got with the X by moving to the Smoke Max? Not sure I need more left bias at the moment. Excited to see how it plays out tonight, hopefully
No you don’t give anything up. You might in fact add to the forgiveness. I’m in a 10.5 head. Not a 12 degree that I was in with my LTDX if that helps you any.

Do it already.

I'll assure you 100% that you're not giving up any forgiveness moving from the X to the Smoke Max - quite the opposite. That was my exact move, the Smoke Max is more forgiving, and even less left biased than the Paradym X.

I used a Mavrik back when it was in line five...holy cow...years ago. I know it may sound like recency bias but there isn't even a comparison between the two. Smoke is miles better, as is everything that came after Mavrik (I've used a Callaway driver every year since Epic Flash)

Not the standard Mavrik, but I played the Mavrik Max for three years. It was a very good driver (although the Max turned out to be too draw biased for me), but the Ai Smoke is a much better driver. Longer and much more forgiving on off center impacts.

No you don’t give anything up. You might in fact add to the forgiveness. I’m in a 10.5 head. Not a 12 degree that I was in with my LTDX if that helps you any.

Do it already.
How do you know I struggle with launch? Have you secretly already called my fitter to help close the deal?

I used a Mavrik back when it was in line five...holy cow...years ago. I know it may sound like recency bias but there isn't even a comparison between the two. Smoke is miles better, as is everything that came after Mavrik (I've used a Callaway driver every year since Epic Flash)
I was trying not to go overboard in stating how much better the Smoke is, so glad you chimed in. The Smoke is a huge improvement. I didn't find the Mavrik TD to be super forgiving (my swing is more consistent now than then) and I actually moved into the B21 and hit it better.

How do you know I struggle with launch? Have you secretly already called my fitter to help close the deal?
You’ve seen me hit. How you choose to use the knowledge I’ve provided is up to you.

Ventus Red is quite the pairing. I’m hitting. Higher drives.

Back