Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers

@Scooby45 The MaxD with Ventus Red is a high launching monster. It doesn’t draw too much for me; the fitter chose the 9 degree MaxD set to 8 degrees because I had the best launch and spin with that head and we tried all of them.

I used a Mavrik back when it was in line five...holy cow...years ago. I know it may sound like recency bias but there isn't even a comparison between the two. Smoke is miles better, as is everything that came after Mavrik (I've used a Callaway driver every year since Epic Flash)
Thanks. I'm not a quick adopter of drivers but I do like Callaway. Went from Alpha 816 DBD to Rogue SZ to Mavrik to Epic Max LS back to Mavrik custom blue/red. Enjoyed all of those except for Epic Max LS 😕. I really like my Mavrik custom but it sounds like it might be time to upgrade again. Probably TD as the Max sliding weight gives me Epic Max LS flashbacks.

Thanks. I'm not a quick adopter of drivers but I do like Callaway. Went from Alpha 816 DBD to Rogue SZ to Mavrik to Epic Max LS back to Mavrik custom blue/red. Enjoyed all of those except for Epic Max LS 😕. I really like my Mavrik custom but it sounds like it might be time to upgrade again. Probably TD as the Max sliding weight gives me Epic Max LS flashbacks.
Yeah that Epic Speed line was the hardest to get along with for me out of all of them. So I understand. But I would for sure give the Max a shot at least. This entire line is worth the try.

Epic Max did not work for me either. I didn't think the Rogue ST would boot the Mav from the bag honestly. Felt the same way about the Smoke booting the Rogue ST... And here we are. :LOL:

Felt good this evening with the Max D. I enjoyed the muted yet slightly more metallic sound compared to the X. Was seeing some good numbers as well. Seemingly better than the X but it was a small sample
size for me. (clearly it’s been a an upgrade based on feedback here). Not sure there is quite enough in it to move one generation for me, but I’m certainly going to think about it and give it another session soon.

IMG_8149.jpegIMG_8148.jpegIMG_8147.jpeg

Skip to 6:15-ish in the video. Johnny Wunder breaking the news on some new Ai Smoke goodness… TD Max

Edit: original video went private, hope this one sticks

Last edited:
Epic Max did not work for me either. I didn't think the Rogue ST would boot the Mav from the bag honestly. Felt the same way about the Smoke booting the Rogue ST... And here we are. :LOL:
Epic Speed didn’t seem to work well for most of the people I know who hit it. Quite odd.

Smoke AI line is definitely solid

Rogue ST couldn't kick the Mav Max out of my bag. Paradym X gave the Mav a hard boot, that was a no-brainer. I wasn't sure anything would unseat the Paradym X once it was in the bag, but the Ai Smoke is a solid upgrade from it.

Second round with this driver tomorrow at Fallen Oak. Excited.

Beautiful day out there in Houston today in the mid 70s and my Smoke was just having a field day. I had a few drives that were pushed but that was a problem with my release not the club. But when i squared it up, well.. wow!

IMG_9254.jpeg

That was a 285 push on a par 5. Just nuts for me. It’s safe to say I was happy with it even with the push. Launch was just a straight long drive that rose in the sky. Not too high, just a penetrating drive that gradually rose in the sky.

IMG_9257.jpeg

Hole 1 with the first tee jitters and a high launch 260 yarder. I just am loving this club!

Beautiful day out there in Houston today in the mid 70s and my Smoke was just having a field day. I had a few drives that were pushed but that was a problem with my release not the club. But when i squared it up, well.. wow!

View attachment 9252300

That was a 285 push on a par 5. Just nuts for me. It’s safe to say I was happy with it even with the push. Launch was just a straight long drive that rose in the sky. Not too high, just a penetrating drive that gradually rose in the sky.

View attachment 9252303

Hole 1 with the first tee jitters and a high launch 260 yarder. I just am loving this club!
outstanding. Do you notice the feel when you really square one up? I sure do love the sound and watching the ball fly when I connect with a. good one!

outstanding. Do you notice the feel when you really square one up? I sure do love the sound and watching the ball fly when I connect with a. good one!
Even mishits feel good. But hit one in the center and it’s addictive - only way to describe it.

More than a few times I had folks come up and say “that sounded so good”

Even mishits feel good. But hit one in the center and it’s addictive - only way to describe it.

More than a few times I had folks come up and say “that sounded so good”
I feel the same way. So rewarding

. Johnny Wunder breaking the news on some new Ai Smoke goodness… TD Max
If I remember correctly it is a tour head, so most likely wont come to retail

Driver head packed
Shaft packed
Next stop the Ai Smoke hits Victoria National.

When I think about my golf this weekend, the driver is at the front of my mind in how it will continue to evolve for me this year.

The last couple times I’ve had it on course it has had at least two shots that were just flat out awesome, and it had me eager to build on it.

I’m also chasing sound. I might have the boys hit it as well to see if they generate some different noises than I do. Always an interesting discussion.

When I think about my golf this weekend, the driver is at the front of my mind in how it will continue to evolve for me this year.

The last couple times I’ve had it on course it has had at least two shots that were just flat out awesome, and it had me eager to build on it.

I’m also chasing sound. I might have the boys hit it as well to see if they generate some different noises than I do. Always an interesting discussion.
I bet I can make it sound different for you.

I bet I can make it sound different for you.
Happy Gilmore Golf GIF

Driver head packed
Shaft packed
Next stop the Ai Smoke hits Victoria National.
You still rocking a two driver setup?

Is it weird that I’m on a mini vacation and part of my mind can’t wait until I’m back to hit this driver for real on Monday??

I’ve got my season starting configuration locked in. 5g Paradym X weight in the front of the Smoke Max. Standard loft which is something I never thought would happen since I’ve been at +2 all last year. And sliding weight more fade side than draw side. Another thing I never thought would happen but with the new takeaway and swing, it helping keep it straight.

I’ve only hit it twice but I CANT WAIT to do it again. And trusting it when it’s for real is a feeling that is foreign to me at the start of a season. The forgiveness and distance I’ve seen so far excites the hell out of me and this season is going to be one of the best ever if that confidence and consistency I know I can get out of it, stays with me.

Smoke Max to the freaking moon!!

If I remember correctly it is a tour head, so most likely wont come to retail
Funnily enough, in the video he did say it would be available through callaway website and specialized fitters. Seeing is believing though

Edit: just watched over the bit again, and apparently that quote was removed in the re-upload. Guess that wasn’t supposed to happen lol

Last edited:
Seems like the Ai Smoke TD Max head might be released to retail in April. Apparently there were some hints dropped in the latest TXG / Clubchampion video with JW of Callaway which they edited out and reuploaded the video.

Back