Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

Honestly, not really. Turf interaction wasn’t my problem with the Paradym, it was just a low launcher for me until I turned it up 2 degrees.
I had to ask lol

@Jeff Spicoli playing your 3 wood short, did you order from Callaway at the inch shorter length or cut down on your own? Any swingweight issues and how did you resolve them?
I will have to look through this thread because I’m traveling today and can’t remember the weight, but a different weight was put in the head to keep it at a standard weight.

Was very lucky to be part of The Grandaddy and have it made for me by Callaway at their fitting center.

I like to hear this! I've been searching for something with a 3w for quite awhile now. Turf interaction is going to be a big thing I look at for my next one
Turf wise my AI smoke 3 wood skims off the turf. It’s been a very easy transition. I haven’t taken much of if any divot on any 3 wood swing so far. It definitely launches a bit lower than my old 3 wood. 3 wood has always been one of my stronger clubs so that was absolutely staying in my bag.

Turf wise my AI smoke 3 wood skims off the turf. It’s been a very easy transition. I haven’t taken much of if any divot on any 3 wood swing so far. It definitely launches a bit lower than my old 3 wood. 3 wood has always been one of my stronger clubs so that was absolutely staying in my bag.
Have you ever had much of an issue with turf before? Or is that pretty much same as any wood you’ve used?

Um…this 5w is a beast!
IMG_9178.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright gents, someone tell me about turf interaction when you are taking these off the deck. I have the Rogue ST 3 and 5w. I love my 5w. it get's the ball in the air pretty damn easily, sounds amazing and the ball rockets off the face so I don't think I have much of a want to switch there. But the 3w, I always seem to dig it a bit and it ends up getting in my head. When I do contact well, it seems more of a piercing flight and I'd like see a bit more launch. I know a lot of you have talked about higher launch and I love that. But I'm just concerned that the turf interaction hasn't changed much. I know you're not supposed to be taking turf with you, I'm more asking does it glide easily or does it catch at all like my Rogue ST does. Thanks for any feedback gentleman!!
Can’t compare it to the Rogue, but no issues from my experience with turf interaction. I’ve had good lies and shots from the rough that have proved the Smoke works quite well from the deck.

I am hearing good things!
The fairway and hybrids from the Smoke line have been the best I’ve hit in as long as I can remember. Interaction and ball flight have been superb!

Have you ever had much of an issue with turf before? Or is that pretty much same as any wood you’ve used?
I would say TSR3 3 wood and AI Smoke 3 wood have been the same turf wise. My 3 wood before that was more prone to chunky shots. The last two though as I mentioned barely take much. The times I got a bit more of the ground I haven’t noticed much lost distance wise and the shot would be very much in play which would say is a edge over the TSR3 wood where I think I would get punished a bit more distance and accuracy wise.

I think a HL should be what I look at. I LOVE shallow faces, but if I can get better performance with a taller face, I’d do it in a heartbeat
I have a LOT more faith in the HL. And finally, when I hit a golf ball well with a fairway, it doesn't just skim the surface! I see some real height, like I do with my hybrids - I wasn't sold on the HL until I tried it. I'm contemplating a 5W to occasionally switch out with my 3h when needed

Alright gents, someone tell me about turf interaction when you are taking these off the deck. I have the Rogue ST 3 and 5w. I love my 5w. it get's the ball in the air pretty damn easily, sounds amazing and the ball rockets off the face so I don't think I have much of a want to switch there. But the 3w, I always seem to dig it a bit and it ends up getting in my head. When I do contact well, it seems more of a piercing flight and I'd like see a bit more launch. I know a lot of you have talked about higher launch and I love that. But I'm just concerned that the turf interaction hasn't changed much. I know you're not supposed to be taking turf with you, I'm more asking does it glide easily or does it catch at all like my Rogue ST does. Thanks for any feedback gentleman!!
Hit mine off the deck out at the range hasn't been an issue for me so far, definitely the lowest launching fairway I've played. When I used it on Sunday it was only off the tee, and it sure is fun to hear the Ooos and Ahhs and to out drive people with it who are hitting their drivers lol. Longest of the day went 290 with great height.

I’m needing a fairway maybe…

I have a LOT more faith in the HL. And finally, when I hit a golf ball well with a fairway, it doesn't just skim the surface! I see some real height, like I do with my hybrids - I wasn't sold on the HL until I tried it. I'm contemplating a 5W to occasionally switch out with my 3h when needed
Interesting enough I’m not launching the 3w Max D high. More low launching bullets. When it comes to the hybrids…it’s a different story and allows me to hit these into greens and not be concerned with the ball running through the green.

Interesting enough I’m not launching the 3w Max D high. More low launching bullets. When it comes to the hybrids…it’s a different story and allows me to hit these into greens and not be concerned with the ball running through the green.
That is interesting. Did you try the HL in your fitting at all?

That is interesting. Did you try the HL in your fitting at all?
We did not get to the HL in the fairway woods as we ran out of time. I do need to carve out time and head to the nearest golf store and get some swings with one.

We did not get to the HL in the fairway woods as we ran out of time. I do need to carve out time and head to the nearest golf store and get some swings with one.
I think you will enjoy them a lot! Would definitely suggest trying them....but as a note of caution, they aren't shank proof :p

Looking for some feedback on this 3W, I have went through several different 3Ws over the last several years (LTDx and Aerojet), but my old Epic Max 3W keeps finding it's way back into my bag, in fact it will be in my bag for the GOAT Cup.

quit you brokeback mountain GIF

Has anyone gone from the Epic Max to Paradym Ai-Smoke 3W? If so, sell me on making the switch?

Looking for some feedback on this 3W, I have went through several different 3Ws over the last several years (LTDx and Aerojet), but my old Epic Max 3W keeps finding it's way back into my bag, in fact it will be in my bag for the GOAT Cup.

quit you brokeback mountain GIF

Has anyone gone from the Epic Max to Paradym Ai-Smoke 3W? If so, sell me on making the switch?
I went from Paradym 5W to Ai-Smoke HL 3W.... I can tell you the AI-Smoke HL 3W is far easier to hit with better launch conditions than the 5W. The 5W is a low launching, low spinning rocket for me, while the 3W HL is a mid/high easy launch rocket! In total distance, I'm gaining about 15-20 yards with the 3W HL (not just because of loft but also because of launch conditions). The turf interaction is much cleaner, because I'm not forcing the contact at the bottom like I was with the Paradym (to try to launch it I end up kinda flippy), with the HL I know the club will handle the launching, so all I have to do is make contact.

Selling case? Easier to hit, better launch conditions, cleaner turf interaction and more distance

@Jeff Spicoli playing your 3 wood short, did you order from Callaway at the inch shorter length or cut down on your own? Any swingweight issues and how did you resolve them?
My 3w has a 14g weight in it. If you are going to order through Callaway, I would call them and talk with one of their reps to make sure they get it at the swing weight you want.

Well, I have a dilemma with the AiSmoke TD 7W.

Indoors, I hit it freely, no thoughts, no fear, just swing. Outdoors, off the turf I'm that same way, but it is from the tee where I'm mentally struggling with it a little. Honestly, the experiment might be over, but I don't want it to be, but it might. Realistically, I think that if I'm playing a second fairway, it needs to be a 5W instead. But man this thing is easy to hit, and therein lies the conundrum.

Visuals: I stand by the AiSmoke being a LEAP forward in looks from Paradym. The form and finish here is just better to my eye at setup and in the bag. Its a killer looking fairway that sets up dead neutral and has some solid depth to the face that makes me a happy boy.

Sound/Feel: Impeccable. Crunchy, composite, POWER. For years the gold standard of feel in a fairway wood for me has been the SIM, and the AiSmoke TD 7W that I have here surpasses that. I cannot get over it to be honest, and it is a big reason that I want it to work so damn bad for me.

On Course: As I mentioned, I'm struggling a little here, but just off the tee. I'm so hesitant to just let it go, and part of that is me not being entirely sure I can flight it down when I need to as if I don't around here it can just get destroyed in the air. But, the other part of that is it is almost foolproof off the turf, its a hammer that I can just rip to any number I need to while also being able to turn it over both ways. Its a damn good head that hits the 235-245 carry window that I absolutely DEMAND in that part of the bag...most of the time. I can't help but wonder if the 5W might free me up more in all that.

I'm not giving up yet, I refuse, but, I am going to let the 19.0 Apex UW back into the battle, and the TD 7W is going to have to EARN it.

My dilemma with the Ai Smoke Fairway wood is that I hit it too good at ECPC hahahaha - Better than I was expecting, to be honest. Went with my gut (and it was a great decision) on the Utility, with @vgolfman only laughing at me a little bit.

Can't wait to hit it again. Having a lot of fun following along with the experiences you guys have had.

Back