Callaway Razr X Tour Irons

I narrowed my final 3 choices down to these, the Ping Anser, and Titleist AP2 irons. All 3 are phenomenal and feel just great off the club. I'd have to say the Titleist AP2's offered a little less forgiveness (my shot dispersion was a little wider with them), but it was by the slimmest of margins.

Tried all 3. For the price, the Ping Anser didn't do it for me. The RXT's were much more forgiving than the AP2's (I compare the forgiveness with the AP1's more) and cheaper.

Great thread TC and now I just have to write everything over from the Razr thread. Haha.

Just a little background, I tried these out pre-outing and wanted to make the decision on irons during the outing. Prior to these I was playing a TM R7 TP and was looking for a "tour" type iron with more forgiveness. I tried a whole slew of irons and only 2 sets really jumped out at me. These and the Wilson FG Tour's. I took these out all 3 rounds and I was convinced these were for me. I just recently received them and played only 2 rounds with them so far. They were fit 3* flat with Rifle 6.0's. I can say that my GIR % was around the 18% range prior to acquisition and in the rounds that I have played with these (2 + the outing), my GIR average has jumped to 35%. I feel, like TC, that these clubs are dead on accurate. Last round yesterday, on a course that I have not played, my GIR was 33%.

My opinion on these in the marketplace are they are extremely underrated due to factors like marketing. This is more a product along the lines of "you have to try it to believe it". Many of the folks that I know who have tried these clubs couldn't put them down. Give these clubs a shot and don't be scared away by the "tour" tag.

As in the other thread, if anyone has any questions on these, I'll be glad to answer them.

Great thread TC and now I just have to write everything over from the Razr thread. Haha.

Just a little background, I tried these out pre-outing and wanted to make the decision on irons during the outing. Prior to these I was playing a TM R7 TP and was looking for a "tour" type iron with more forgiveness. I tried a whole slew of irons and only 2 sets really jumped out at me. These and the Wilson FG Tour's. I took these out all 3 rounds and I was convinced these were for me. I just recently received them and played only 2 rounds with them so far. They were fit 3* flat with Rifle 6.0's. I can say that my GIR % was around the 18% range prior to acquisition and in the rounds that I have played with these (2 + the outing), my GIR average has jumped to 35%. I feel, like TC, that these clubs are dead on accurate. Last round yesterday, on a course that I have not played, my GIR was 33%.

My opinion on these in the marketplace are they are extremely underrated due to factors like marketing. This is more a product along the lines of "you have to try it to believe it". Many of the folks that I know who have tried these clubs couldn't put them down. Give these clubs a shot and don't be scared away by the "tour" tag.

As in the other thread, if anyone has any questions on these, I'll be glad to answer them.

I was just curious spank as to what are some of the differences you found between these and your previous set, that convinced you to switch?

Great stuff Spanks!

I was just curious spank as to what are some of the differences you found between these and your previous set, that convinced you to switch?

I'm looking at around a 1 club increase in distance, definitely more accurate, 1000% more forgiving. Just as an example on forgiveness, as a miss I tend to toe a lot of balls as well as top them and on the TM R7 TP's they would be a squirt shot where as on the RXT's the ball would come up a bit and not punish me as far as dispersion goes. There's an obvious loss in distance on both but on the RXT's they are far less punishing. In a way the RXT's would not put me in a position where I'm way out of position where the next shot is not negligible.

I'm also able to control the ball a bit more. On my longer irons (4-6) on the R7's I would not be able to check stop a ball ever (even on the softer, spinnier tour balls). I noticed that with the RXT's I can do that and I attribute that to a lower COG that allows me to drop the clubhead down better through the ball (which feels good since I tend to be more of a sweeper). I can also manipulate the ball flight better with less movement (fades and draws don't have a wider arc) which I call a much "tighter" flight. I think it's because I can keep my hands more quiet through the hitting zone and not overcompensate too much by flipping my hands, if that makes sense. My TMPL fitter actually ingrained that thought into my head about the hands which I have to thank her for doing so (even if I went with a rival company's clubs) :D

Thanks for the response spanks! I am a sweeper also so I find it interesting that you are able to make better compression on the ball.

Thanks for the response spanks! I am a sweeper also so I find it interesting that you are able to make better compression on the ball.

I noticed that I'm taking better sized divots out of this iron than any other iron I tried (and it cuts through well, I might add). Before on the longer irons looking at the fairway after the shot I would only have a "pick mark" like I picked the ball off the turf.

Well my lovely wife just told me that I am getting a new set of irons for Fathers Day, so now my testing and comparissions will began in earnest.

Well my lovely wife just told me that I am getting a new set of irons for Fathers Day, so now my testing and comparissions will began in earnest.

Congrats buddy. Let the research and testing begin!

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Great stuff man, good luck with the search, try everything and have fun.

Thanks guys and I have to say that the RXT's are already on my short list.

Thanks guys and I have to say that the RXT's are already on my short list.

As they should be. They might not win out for you but I bet you are impressed with them.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Nice! What other sets are you gonna try out?

Great thread TC. Thought about this for the Razr X's because definitely feel like the feedback Im putting in there is almost going for not. Love how these sticks are working for so many.

Nice! What other sets are you gonna try out?

I am also looking at the Cleveland CG 16's, Adams redline, TaylorMade 2.0's, and Nike Pro Cavity. I am going to go to the PGA superstore next weekend and try these out and most likely more, based on reviews that I have read on here and what the guys at the store might reccomend.

I am also looking at the Cleveland CG 16's, Adams redline, TaylorMade 2.0's, and Nike Pro Cavity. I am going to go to the PGA superstore next weekend and try these out and most likely more, based on reviews that I have read on here and what the guys at the store might reccomend.

I'd throw in the AP1's and the regular Razr X's in there to round it out and you'll have your hands full. Have fun hitting!

I hit these at a callaway demo day and was blown away with these irons.

I'd throw in the AP1's and the regular Razr X's in there to round it out and you'll have your hands full. Have fun hitting!

Wait for it....Di11's should be on the list as well based off the other irons you are hitting.

Thanks for the tips coolbreeze and spank! I will add them to my list to try out. I appreciate the help. Now back to our origional programming and OP.

Just for fun, hottie forged razrs. I never really like callaway. But those are a really nice set of irons. They have a very distinct sound when compared to the TM and nike offerings. I had no prb spanking a 5i 190 on the sims. I doubt they would work that way on the course. I actually like the razr lineup and i am such a TM fanboy. See what happens when u spend hours on thP, your tunnel visions disappears.

Great review folks

Because of a busy weekend with the family I completely missed this thread, great topic and I'm glad that people are chiming in on these irons. I too have these in the bag for The Morgan Cup and I could not be happier about it. I went with a setup of 4-AW with True Temper DG S300 shafts in them, I've had these shafts in several different sets and I have really come to like these a lot. My ball flight is much lower and I'm hitting these MUCH straighter than I have with any other iron sets I've used. The RXT's in my opinion are a magnificent combination of feel and forgiveness with a lot of power packed in as well. I'm hitting these irons are far as I was the Burner 2.0s I had been using, that is saying a lot! I have a lot of confidence with the long irons and I really like that I'm not hitting them so high that I end up getting caught up in the winds. I have no issues with flighting my ball lower when I need to, that is something that I found nearly impossible with the 2.0 irons.

I'm loving the Callaway Razr X Tour irons, I hope that a lot of other people see the success some of us are having and add them to their list of sets to demo. They're very good irons.

Hi, following this thread with great interest. Didn´t really think much the RXTs when the pics started showing up however after seeing them live and especially putting the club down I was thrilled. The way they have shaved of the back of the topline is genious in my opinion. Only hit of the mat into a net but really liking the leading to trailing edge and sole. Looks like sole interaction could be a winner. Read that some of you opted for custom shafts, would be interesting to hear the result from custom fitting and comments on differences between different shafts.

Played my 3rd and 4th rounds last week with these. Shot lowest ever score at my home club (77) on the last round and a big part was the irons (11 putts on the back 9 helped a bit, too...). I NEVER miss right with these like I occasionally did with the Burners and some others I've hit recently. I am actually hitting the long irons (4 and 5) higher than the lighter shafts and straighter - haven't kept a 4 iron in the bag for a while, but I think this one will stay. Just seem to be hitting these very square with a very pure feel. Length is very close to the 2.0 Burners and Z Stars I recently owned (maybe a few yards shorter on the 4/5 iron which are also lofted 2* higher I believe.

Hi, following this thread with great interest. Didn´t really think much the RXTs when the pics started showing up however after seeing them live and especially putting the club down I was thrilled. The way they have shaved of the back of the topline is genious in my opinion. Only hit of the mat into a net but really liking the leading to trailing edge and sole. Looks like sole interaction could be a winner. Read that some of you opted for custom shafts, would be interesting to hear the result from custom fitting and comments on differences between different shafts.

Sole interaction with the turf is excellent. For me, I hopped on the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer and it recommended 4 shafts for me to try. Then I went on a launch monitor to select a shaft based on numbers and feel. Once the shaft is selected we did a static fitting and a lie board to make sure I get the right specs in to Callaway. I went with my Rifles because it gave me the best numbers overall (I looked at distance, dispersion, and spin since launch angle was the same for all 4). I don't really think of them as custom because there was no upgrade charge (at least in my case there wasn't) I just think of it as a properly fitted iron.

You can keep track of this thread since I've been posting my findings here so it is ongoing.

I know that forum member puttin4bird has the S300's which are a stock shaft option. He loves them. I agree with you, the design of the iron is really the winner. The bevelling of the top line is just clever and should suit the eye to the masses out there that are obsessed with top lines. I love the turf interaction. Even those these do have a decent amount of bounce for a GE iron, the leading edge is nice and sharp and defined.

Played my 3rd and 4th rounds last week with these. Shot lowest ever score at my home club (77) on the last round and a big part was the irons (11 putts on the back 9 helped a bit, too...). I NEVER miss right with these like I occasionally did with the Burners and some others I've hit recently. I am actually hitting the long irons (4 and 5) higher than the lighter shafts and straighter - haven't kept a 4 iron in the bag for a while, but I think this one will stay. Just seem to be hitting these very square with a very pure feel. Length is very close to the 2.0 Burners and Z Stars I recently owned (maybe a few yards shorter on the 4/5 iron which are also lofted 2* higher I believe.

So glad you are digging the irons my man. Highly underrated set of sticks on the market.

I want to touch on how good these were for me yesterday. I'm learning to trust them so much more. I typically aim a little right of my target with previous irons b/c everything tended to have a slight fade on it. I was ok with it, it worked. These babies just hit straight ball after straight ball for me, but they can be easily worked if need be. I rarely try to work the ball, but will in case of an emergency. I almost aced #2 at Wildcat Cliffs Country Club in Highlands, NC yesterday. The hole was 166 yards, and you have to carry water for about 155 yards, unless you want to bail out to the left. I hit an 8iron that never left the flag. How the ball didn't hit the flag stick is beyond me, b/c it was literally sitting in it's pitch mark about 6'' directly behind the hole. I also love the audible tone off the face of the irons, they are very similar to the sound off of the CB's that my brother has. A nice solid crack! THey are addictive irons in that I want to hit them more and more.

Back