Callaway Staff Irons - The Morgan Cup

I've played a 58-08 for a number of years as both a lob wedge and sand wedge, but that's out of Cheesy sand, not FL sand. I don't worry worry so much about keeping certain gaps in lofts with wedges, but more about what lofts I carry to make certain shots. A 50-52* gap does most of the work for me between 30 and 110 yards. I'm not a Callaway staffer, but thought I'd add a different thought to choosing wedges.

I know what I'll do for my TM wedges. They won't be what most would think are ideally spaced lofts.

Kevin

It run away a bit from ya? I sent my 9i chip into someones foot yesterday. haha

say it ain't so? haha

I used the 8 a lot over the weekend around the greens. I saw some good results, but also some not so good ones.

I've played a 58-08 for a number of years as both a lob wedge and sand wedge, but that's out of Cheesy sand, not FL sand. I don't worry worry so much about keeping certain gaps in lofts with wedges, but more about what lofts I carry to make certain shots. A 50-52* gap does most of the work for me between 30 and 110 yards. I'm not a Callaway staffer, but thought I'd add a different thought to choosing wedges.

I know what I'll do for my TM wedges. They won't be what most would think are ideally spaced lofts.

Kevin
That is a great way to look at it Kevin, thanks for that piece of advice buddy!

Kevin

This is what I've been thinking a lot about lately.

Ill need to pick your brain quite a bit about this. This is what I'm thinking about for my other two wedges. Purely shot types as the AW handles most if not all of the 25-105 yard shots.

Kevin

Man....I had a spectacular day with my RXT's today. I am loving these clubs more and more every time out.

T! Please share!!!!!!!!

I love hearing that!

yeah, I put my experience in the MC thread. I did take closest to the pin on a par 3 so far. The course I was at does a closest to the pin for anyone who plays on wednesdays. The winner gets $75. I was the leader when I left. It was 168 yards, uphill, pin in the back. and I hit a 7 iron to about 5 feet. That was almost off the green, the pin was tucked back but just in front of it was a hill so you had to get the ball HIGH and make it stop. If you were short, it rolled back, if you were long it was off the green

yeah, I put my experience in the MC thread. I did take closest to the pin on a par 3 so far. The course I was at does a closest to the pin for anyone who plays on wednesdays. The winner gets $75. I was the leader when I left. It was 168 yards, uphill, pin in the back. and I hit a 7 iron to about 5 feet. That was almost off the green, the pin was tucked back but just in front of it was a hill so you had to get the ball HIGH and make it stop. If you were short, it rolled back, if you were long it was off the green

Sounds like a challanging shot to say the least T, I hope you take home the $75 and I am glad to hear you are enjoying such success with your new clubs

Sounds like a challanging shot to say the least T, I hope you take home the $75 and I am glad to hear you are enjoying such success with your new clubs

Thanks buddy!!! I sure hope I get the money too.

Nice shot buddy. Hope it holds up for you.

Haha. Well youll definitely give them a good run at TPC. Unless I completely have it mixed up.

For sure. It's nice having some room for error. God knows I need it.

Sent from my Tapatalk App

So I went out and WALKED 9. To get used to the pressure and all... lol. Really though. The 9 I played was long, par was 37 I ended up with a 46. Not all that great but I did have a kick ass birdie on a par 5 and in general played really well. It was 3600 yards. A little longer than I'm used too but I'm finding out if I have confidence in my swing, yardage doesnt matter.

I didn't have a scorecard so I used OOB. I'm really starting to dail in the irons. THe hard part for me is still trying to compensate for wind and elevated greens with these.

Hole #1: Par 5. I hit my drive right but still ended up in the fairway. Put my Mashie to about 65 yards. The Razr X AW is quickly becomming my favorite club. I choked up a little and let it go. Pin high but it rolled out a little more than I thought it would. Common occurance for the greens that day. AW Chip and 1 putt par.

Hole #2: Par 4. Hit my drive right and still had about 160 to the hole. Duffed my 7i lol. Just a total lack of whatever I don't know. But again I was left with a almost full AW in. Hit another great shot! still rolled out some and just left my putt short. Bogey 5.

Hole #3: I have vid for my approach shot. I hit a great 6i. You can tell but the wind was messin with me. Didnt realize the green was as elevated as it was. Left my AW chip just a couple feet short and it just rolled down the green. Looked like a scene from the US Open. 3 putt double. It was a rough hole but I know I hit some good shots.

[YOUTUBE]urS9FUQ24yk [/YOUTUBE]

Hole #4: Long par 3. 6i! But I was in between clubs. 6 usually would've been way short. I caught this one good and it went about 175 ish. The green took the ball right and I was left a putt from end to end. Needless to say I ended up with a bogey.

Hole #5: Shorter par 5. I take Hybrid/Hybrid and I'm left with 30 yards. AW time! I may take my 56* at times but the green was sloping uphill severely. I knocked to about 3 feet and made my birdie

Hole #6: Hit a great tee shot. It unfortunately took a bad bounce. Hit to punch out from behind a tree or hook a shot. I should've gone for the hook. Punch out ok and left with an AW. I got stupid and picked my head up which lead to a nice thin shot. Fortunately it wasn't too bad but I still ended up with a double. My AW chip from just around the green rolled out too much and left a nasty putt for a bogey. Just lipped it out. I was po'd but wasn't.

Hole #7: Lol. Man, another good 6i shot but just pushed it to the right of the green. I figured it would be a good time to try my new flop shot. Lets just say Ill leave that one in the bag come august. I dont have great distance control and it led to a double. Nah but I know what I did.

Hole #8: This hole sucked. You had to fade your tee shot. I can do that but not with a lot of control and I do it by swinging a bad swing haha. Regardless I did it but had a tree right in front of me again. I took my 8i out because I had 148 left and just smoked it. Too bad again the green was really sitting up and the wind caught it just enough. 56* shot just a foot shy of where it needed to be. Left with a long par I just left short.

Hole #9: Long par 5 into the wind. I finally get my driver right. Hybrid that pushed and I was left with 120 into the wind, going up again. I thought I'd hit a PW and just hope. Well it came up short. The AW chip for birdie wasn't a bad shot but man, you leave it just a tad short and the green just punishes you. 2 putt bogey.

I'm really seeing my game come together. It was by no means a great score but like I told Biggsy I see that back 9 coming home strong. The Razr X are some of the smoothest irons I've hit. The distance control is coming around and once I dail that in, I think the sky is the limit. I haven't felt this much confidence in my irons in a long time. Don't get me wrong, I've had some great ones but these are just a step above.

That iron shot sounded crisp and flush, look at you go brother!

Nice update Yoccos! Sounds like things are getting better and better for you with these irons.

Noticed a Machspeed iron in the bag. Which club was that? I know the Machspeeds were kind of popular here, how do you think the 2 compare?

Haha I thought I had a better angle but I had to improvise. The couple in front of me played slower than Kevin Na. Each.

These irons are something. They sound phenominal. They cut the turf beautifully.

That shot was called the TC killer. I did miss the green hahahahaha. But not by much.

That iron shot sounded crisp and flush, look at you go brother!

Nice update Yoccos! Sounds like things are getting better and better for you with these irons.

I love the simple video Yoccos!!! Good recap of the round buddy!

Thanks T. I figured shoot, I needed something. Stupid camera angle though haha. I would've shot more but the guy that joined me didnt look to like videos. I also called him the wrong name. He is one of my people and I let him down :(

Seriously the irons are money. Unless I'm skulling it, I love the sound of these. That's probably the most addicting part.

Nice shot Yoccos, sounded really crisp!

I love the sound of these. That's probably the most addicting part.

I agree with the part about the sound. Its very unique and I really like it.

Yeah, he has to get new irons after every round cause he knocks the sweet spot off his!

I've heard that aboot him. Just pure workability!

That was an awesome little video Yoccos! The sound is awesome!

Back