CHAMP Spikes Challenge Review Thread

With the Zarmas do you guys feel like they're going to come out from under you on certain sufaces? I know the Stingers give me a little uneasiness on those railroad tie stars and inside the tile bathroom floors. Specially when wet.

I havent been able to test them on wet bridges or really wet stairs like I would like. I posted a while back about a similar felling, almost like I skate across the bridges when they are wet and I'm wearing the Stingers.

With the Zarmas do you guys feel like they're going to come out from under you on certain sufaces? I know the Stingers give me a little uneasiness on those railroad tie stars and inside the tile bathroom floors. Specially when wet.

I've got a pair of 9 month old stingers in another shoe and I've only noticed that in a few circumstances. Usually it's me making an awkward step to begin with.

So far I have not noticed any uneasiness with the Zarmas, whether that be down the cart path or in the restroom. It will be interesting to see if the continues as the spies start to wear.

the railroad ties when we played when it was POURING. i could see me possibly slipping but it wasn't as bad as some other spikes i have had. but like you said that day any plastic on wet wood like that is slippery.

the railroad ties when we played when it was POURING. i could see me possibly slipping but it wasn't as bad as some other spikes i have had. but like you said that day any plastic on wet wood like that is slippery.

Yeah lol that day was bad. In all honesty the CHAMPS were .... champs. haha. No clogging and no slippage all day while on the grass. I was impressed.

Yeah lol that day was bad. In all honesty the CHAMPS were .... champs. haha. No clogging and no slippage all day while on the grass. I was impressed.

yeah i see why Nike is carrying them in all of their new lines. SOLID!

I have had no problem with any "slippery" type feeling at all with the Zarmas, the softness is noticable on hard surfaces but it is a "grippy" softness. I have not walked on a wet tile or crosstie as yet but will post on that as soon as I do. As I stated in some of my earlier reviews the feel of these is comparable to the first time I went from metal spikes to "soft" spikes, it is just that noticable to me.

I noticed them in FJ's too. Not that Id ever buy a pair of FJ's.

Last edited:
I havent been able to test them on wet bridges or really wet stairs like I would like. I posted a while back about a similar felling, almost like I skate across the bridges when they are wet and I'm wearing the Stingers.

The stingers are really slippery on tile, wet wood and even wood floors. As my old ones wore down, the spike gets flatter and flatter and the pointy part that grabs the grass becomes smooth. No running with these with scissors

I have had no problem with any "slippery" type feeling at all with the Zarmas, the softness is noticable on hard surfaces but it is a "grippy" softness. I have not walked on a wet tile or crosstie as yet but will post on that as soon as I do. As I stated in some of my earlier reviews the feel of these is comparable to the first time I went from metal spikes to "soft" spikes, it is just that noticable to me.
That's just crazy DD, that says a lot about the Zarma's IMO.

They have been using Stingers for a couple years already Buckjob. I really liked them in my Air Zooms.

As for the Zarmas, I gotta go get me some. Cleaning the Adidas cleats out is getting old fast.

Another 18 with my stingers. They are showing more wear than before but are still offering some traction and helping my from sliding. I tried an experiment today and played the first hole without golf shoes and there was a huge difference in traction of course.

Here is some picture of the wear that I have seen. The arms are shredding a little and turning black.

7398913772_32af81f09e.jpg

7398913278_fa22c7edf4.jpg

As you can see some of the arms are flattening out.

Good stuff Uriel. I played in a pair of foot joy contour sport casuals with the little knobs on wet grass in the morning and I was slipping on shots. When I went hard on a swing my right foot would slip.

Get some spikes in your shoes everyone.

Went through a full range session and some short game practice tonight. I hit 2 full buckets of balls and spent about an hour in the shortgame area chipping and putting. I am getting plenty of grip with the Scorpion Stingers....nice solid base and they are comfortable. But the thing that continues to amaze me is how clean they stay.

They had just mowed some thicker grass to the side of the practice green this afternoon and I went down there and was practicing pitching back up the hill...lots of loose grass but nothing stuck to the spikes. So far I am really liking these.

I did not feel like I was going to slip on the railroad ties I have been on. No wet tile yet for me to comment on.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I did not feel like I was going to slip on the railroad ties I have been on. No wet tile yet for me to comment on.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I've had the same set of Stingers in my Footjoy Contours for about 4 months. They get worn to the range about 5 times a week and gamed every couple of weeks. Yeah, they've worn down a bit but I would have gone through 5 sets of the one's that actually came with the Contours.

I do find them a bit slick on wet tiles, but no more than other spikes.

The are also tough on the feet when walking on cart paths/parking lots. It's not a big deal to stay off the cart path and it's a small price to pay for spikes that last as long as these do.

Zarma Testing
6/18/12

Removal Of Existing Spikes, and Installation of Zarma's

Sorry for the delay with the testing, got caught up in work and trying to find the removal tool.
First time removing spikes, had a few that were a big pain, it amazed me how much dirt, etc were underneath them
Took a few pics of the process

Pic#1--Up close pic of one of the shoes and the condition of the existing spikes. Adidas Powerband 3.0 shoes, about 4 months old, near 30 rounds in them.
2012-06-18214813.jpg

The pic below is the shoe after the existing spikes had been removed. First 4 spikes were easy to get out, the final 4 were a huge pain. Good pic to see all of the dirt and debris up underneath all of the spikes.

2012-06-18220906.jpg

The pic below shoes the completed first shoe with the new Zarma spikes installed.

2012-06-18221432.jpg

Next is the 2nd shoe, removal of the spikes went much better with this one

2012-06-18222049.jpg

And now the 2nd shoe, completed

2012-06-18222443.jpg

And finally the 2 fnished products. My wife commented that these ones "looked way nicer than the old ones"
2012-06-18222643.jpg

Im playing a bunch of golf this weekend starting either thurs or Fri. A combination of walking and riding. Im looking forward mostly to how they handle when Im walking rounds, as the "old" spikes did make the walking process very comfortable all around and didnt seem to hold their ground very well under wet conditions.

any questions, let me know

Another 18 with my stingers. They are showing more wear than before but are still offering some traction and helping my from sliding. I tried an experiment today and played the first hole without golf shoes and there was a huge difference in traction of course.

Here is some picture of the wear that I have seen. The arms are shredding a little and turning black.

7398913772_32af81f09e.jpg

7398913278_fa22c7edf4.jpg

As you can see some of the arms are flattening out.

Mine look pretty much exactly like this too.

Champs Spike Testing - 6/19/2012

Spikes tested: Champs Zarma
Shoe tested: Adidas Tour 360 4.0

A big thanks again to Champs and THP for making this testing possible.

After being out of the country all last week, I was able to get home yesterday take some pictures of the Champs spikes and get some initial impressions.

Initial Impressions:
Champs was nice enough to include a small bag and package of Fly tees with the spikes. The bag seems to be really well made and I will be using it for keeping my stubby tees and other small items such as divot tools. The Fly tees remind me of the Epoch brand tees which I have been using for quite some time now. I'm a big fan of plastic tees since I seem to break so many wooden ones. I can't wait to see how they compare tomorrow afternoon.

pV5sU.jpg

Kh4di.jpg

kH4Dk.jpg

Now to the spikes.

Aesthetics:
I actually requested the Stinger's but I am perfectly happy with the Zarma's. After comparing the looks again on the Champs website, I find that the Zarma's are a bit better looking in my eye. The two tone black with white on top is very pleasing to look at. Not only will these look great in my 4.0's, but I can't imagine a shoe in which they would look bad.

I will be replacing my spikes tonight and will show the comparison.

Bn16m.jpg

Lfoe8.jpg

TjMzG.jpg

Quality:
The initial impression I had on the quality was that they were very well made and seem like they will hold up for quite a while. Coming from the stock Adidas spikes, I believe that these will be a vast improvement both in longevity and grip. While the stock Adidas spikes felt "mushy" to the touch, these feel quite stiff in comparison.

Expect another update tonight and let me know if anyone has questions!

Good thoughts and pictures Mike and Jeff. Look forward to both your thoughts on these.

Jeff,
I definitely agree on the quality comments. To me, they seem a bit more "sturdy" if thats the right word compared to the ones that came in the Adidas 3.0's. I guess time will tell on how they hold up

Nice initial thoughts MD and Jefrazie. Hope you guy's can hit the course soon with good results.

Nice initial thoughts MD and Jefrazie. Hope you guy's can hit the course soon with good results.

I get to hit the course tomorrow afternoon for my first walking 9. I'm looking forward to see how these guys perform on a dry course. I plan on keeping the dirt on them until I get some pics so I can show how much they hold on to.

I get to hit the course tomorrow afternoon for my first walking 9. I'm looking forward to see how these guys perform on a dry course. I plan on keeping the dirt on them until I get some pics so I can show how much they hold on to.

That may prove to be harder than you anticipate, I have not even had to bump my shoes together after a round as yet, they just don't clog up very easily at all.

That may prove to be harder than you anticipate, I have not even had to bump my shoes together after a round as yet, they just don't clog up very easily at all.

now thats good to hear, lord knows my old ones did their fair share of clogging up, and was even more evident when trying to replace them

Back