CHAMP Spikes Challenge Review Thread

I didn't have any dirt or grass on my Stingers yesterday after my 18 hole walk. This pair only has about 5 walking rounds on them, but the inside heal spikes are wearing quite a bit. I have a tendancy to walk on the inside of my heals so this isn't a surprise, but found it interesting that they was wearing so fast.

Mine look pretty much exactly like this too.

Its pretty crazy that the wear is consistent, champ makes a good product.

With the Zarmas do you guys feel like they're going to come out from under you on certain sufaces? I know the Stingers give me a little uneasiness on those railroad tie stars and inside the tile bathroom floors. Specially when wet.
I have not yet, actually, it's the spikes that have more give and flex give me the uneasy feeling on slick surfaces.

Has anyone had a bad experience with either spike yet? If so, in what situation?

Here is the promised picture of the spikes after walking another 27 yesterday. These spikes have been used to walk over 150 holes over the last week or so.

a693599d-b2fb-ff67.jpg

a693599d-b316-bcdf.jpg

Doc...you shreaded that last spike!! Wow!

That is just from the way I walk. My old spike was completely flat and as you can see I have worn down the texture on the shoe. I do this with all of my shoes and find that I have to resole my dress shoes fairly frequently.

This is going to seem like a bit of an odd question, but are any of the testers LH?

I have not yet, actually, it's the spikes that have more give and flex give me the uneasy feeling on slick surfaces.

Has anyone had a bad experience with either spike yet? If so, in what situation?

I dont think so for me. I wouldnt call slippage on wet floor or walkways negative since most any shoe or spike will do the same. All has been good so far with me.

That is just from the way I walk. My old spike was completely flat and as you can see I have worn down the texture on the shoe. I do this with all of my shoes and find that I have to resole my dress shoes fairly frequently.

wow, that didnt take long at all

Here is the promised picture of the spikes after walking another 27 yesterday. These spikes have been used to walk over 150 holes over the last week or so.

a693599d-b2fb-ff67.jpg

a693599d-b316-bcdf.jpg

I'm same way, and I have a Stinger that is well on it way to doing that.

This is going to seem like a bit of an odd question, but are any of the testers LH?

I hate to quote myself, but perhaps if I explain why I am asking. I have had to switch to molded bottoms because screw ins would unscrew from the natural turn during my golf swing, I would lose spikes all over the course, and I wanted to see if that has been an issue.

I hate to quote myself, but perhaps if I explain why I am asking. I have had to switch to molded bottoms because screw ins would unscrew from the natural turn during my golf swing, I would lose spikes all over the course, and I wanted to see if that has been an issue.

I am not left handed, but the design of the ones I am using are not screw in. They snap into place with a couple turns (it can be either clockwise or counter clockwise). It wouldn't make a difference if one was left or right handed, it would be equally difficult (nearly impossible) to loosen them during the swing.

I am not left handed, but the design of the ones I am using are not screw in. They snap into place with a couple turns (it can be either clockwise or counter clockwise). It wouldn't make a difference if one was left or right handed, it would be equally difficult (nearly impossible) to loosen them during the swing.

Thanks Doc. I was curious as to how that worked, and it would open up a whole new world of shoes for me.

Great reviews testers! I definitely need to buy some of the Zarma's for my Adipure's. I hate the stock spikes that are in there. I wish my local GG sold these.

wow Dr. Teeth, that's crazy how much wear is on there but I've seen worse after less holes.

Docs tearing these spikes up but that's a lot of golf

I didn't have any dirt or grass on my Stingers yesterday after my 18 hole walk. This pair only has about 5 walking rounds on them, but the inside heal spikes are wearing quite a bit. I have a tendancy to walk on the inside of my heals so this isn't a surprise, but found it interesting that they was wearing so fast.

I have the same issue too man. I try to remember to rotate my spikes like I do tires for my car so I get max wear out of them

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

With the Zarmas do you guys feel like they're going to come out from under you on certain sufaces? I know the Stingers give me a little uneasiness on those railroad tie stars and inside the tile bathroom floors. Specially when wet.

None at all yet, but looking for that as these begin to wear some. The only time I slipped at all was when I walked through some mossy looking water across the corner of a concrete lot and I tried to slide on purpose. (Sounds like something my grandkids would do, haha)

Good thoughts and pictures Mike and Jeff. Look forward to both your thoughts on these.
+1. Nice initial pics and thoughts fellas!
wow Dr. Teeth, that's crazy how much wear is on there but I've seen worse after less holes.
Ya that one spike is done with lol, you have put a lot of rounds on those though too and I have def seen that kind of wear after just a couple rounds with other spikes. Im glad I will be able to finally join in with the on course testing this weekend, got the approval from the Dr so im good to go. I will be taking pics through out my round to show if anything gets stuck up in them like my old spikes, will probably take a pic every 3 holes or so.

another 18 today nothing really to report no issues with slippage again today and they stayed clean most of the round got a little mud on the one hole but it fell off by the end of the hole. but nothing to clean off at the end of my round again today. still very comfortable and i took some pics after to show you the wear im seeing with mine so far. still looking pretty good IMO.

DSC00401.jpg

Heel Shot
DSC00402.jpg

Toe Shot
DSC00403.jpg

Those still look really good Buck especially with how much golf you have been playing. Was the course pretty wet today? Looks like it was.

Those still look really good Buck especially with how much golf you have been playing. Was the course pretty wet today? Looks like it was.

yeah it was really wet in some places. i know this course well and did my best to stay away from those spots today with my shots i hate chunking the ball due to it being swamped. but i did get to swing in some wet areas again no issues with slippage.

yeah it was really wet in some places. i know this course well and did my best to stay away from those spots today with my shots i hate chunking the ball due to it being swamped. but i did get to swing in some wet areas again no issues with slippage.
I agree, nothing worse than chunking one where its puddled up. Good to hear still no slipping issues.

I played a round with the Stingers today. It is kind of funny how quickly I became accustomed to the "softness" of the Zarmas because the first thing I noticed after putting them on walking across the parking lot was how hard it was, it confused me at first. I had once again played in good conditions and had no issues with slipping. I did notice a little bit of damage that these spikes did to a wet spot I walked across on a green, that is one thing I like about the Zarma's, they don't seem to tear the greens up.

I really need to go play a crappy course soon so I can test these out in poor conditions, but so far I have had zero issues with loosing my footing with either set of spikes.

Today I got out with the CHAMP Stingers again, and again these things just flat out work. My "home" course is usually very sandy and damp, which can lead to a lot of slipping issues especially in the rough and on uneven lies. I just didn't slip once today - these spikes keep me so stable on every lie I can think of except for pavement. I also do not notice that the spikes are even there when I'm on grass, which I really appreciate as I don't need anything extra in the back of my mind while I'm playing. The spikes only put very slight marks on the green which disappeared very quickly. As far as wear, I have a picture on my phone that I will update this thread with momentarily...these stayed relatively clean for spikes that initially looked as if they might pick up some grass and/or mud, and they did...but a lot less than I expected. A couple whacks together did the trick. These aren't wearing down very quickly, which is nice, but I am also making a decided effort to not put my shoes on until I am ready to go to the first tee.

Back