Cleveland CG Black Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Really nice review JB! Might be adding this to my list when the times comes around for me to get a new big stick

Nice review JB! This sounds like a great driver and will undoubtedly be in a lot of people's bags after it comes out!

Thanks for the thorough review, JB. Like you said, in the right hands this club can be revolutionary, but at the same time it stresses the importance of being fit to your clubs.

Nice review JB! Having followed the thread about this driver, I am excited to see if it works for me in terms of distance gains. Thanks for helping to keep us "in the know" on all of the great new products coming out.

Tappin' from my iPad!

good review, im sure a few THPers will be running out to get this in a matter of time

Great review JB. I can't wait to find this in the store and test it out. I think it would be great for my swing and get me some extra distance. Which is always nice!

Great review JB, really enjoyed the whole thing – the radio show really must be listened to, in order to get the full idea of just how bold a move this is by Cleveland.

Usually we see OEMs putting out ‘the best club for everyone’, but Cleveland really is throwing weight behind the proper fitting process and telling us where their clubs work best. Really refreshing to hear.

Great review JB. This driver sure seems like the real deal, and if I were still in the market for something new I'd think this would be my top choice.

thank you for the review. I have always been a TaylorMade fan...but that driver 'looks' really nice.

Nice review JB, this probably isn't a club for me, but it seems like in the right hands this thing can be a beast!

Great stuff JB. 103 is the tipping point? I think Ill research this one a little further for my dad!

def gonna hit this before finding a new driver for next season even though i dunno if its gonna fit my game as well as some other drivers.

I love that Cleveland has a line out there right now for guys like me. It's refreshing to see that they are really trying to get clubs out there that can make the game a little easier and more fun. This is an amazing looking driver and to say that I can't wait to hit it would be a huge understatement.

I love that Cleveland has a line out there right now for guys like me. It's refreshing to see that they are really trying to get clubs out there that can make the game a little easier and more fun. This is an amazing looking driver and to say that I can't wait to hit it would be a huge understatement.

Let's say you snag up this driver, then your golf game evolves (like i believe it will), do you think a driver like this can be a hindrance? I mean, what if, as you mature as a golfer, you pick up clubhead speed, does a driver like this keep you from utilizing that (b/c deep down, you know it's ideal for sub 100 mph swing speeds)?

It could be different for you though, I mean, as a THP tester, chances are you'll have another driver in the bag year in and year out, but what about the guy out there who's like you, and he spends $399 on a driver that he could "out grow". Thoughts?

That is a great looking driver! I am sure it will be killer for some guys, but probably not for me from the sounds of it. Pretty amazing that some guys could pick up 14 yards of distance!

Y'know, I'm honestly kind of "over" the whole black clubface thing. It's the 1 thing I would like to change about my current driver. 1 bad range ball and it looks kinda crappy.

This driver had me at "up to an additional 14 yards." Who wouldnt want that? Then throw in good looks and that bad arse head cover.

Let's say you snag up this driver, then your golf game evolves (like i believe it will), do you think a driver like this can be a hindrance? I mean, what if, as you mature as a golfer, you pick up clubhead speed, does a driver like this keep you from utilizing that (b/c deep down, you know it's ideal for sub 100 mph swing speeds)?

It could be different for you though, I mean, as a THP tester, chances are you'll have another driver in the bag year in and year out, but what about the guy out there who's like you, and he spends $399 on a driver that he could "out grow". Thoughts?

I've thought about that and I think you are very correct that I probably would be moving to a different driver quicker than many folks out there. I think a solid season with a driver is pretty good for me and that's what I got out of my last one. If it makes a big enough difference - and to a guy like me, 15 yards off the tee could be huge - then I personally would be good with that. It's a tough call for sure when you are right on the edge and getting better over time.

Ive been thinking about this more and more, TC. With hitting the ball longer and straighter, naturally you will have confidence in your swing a bit more and will want to swing stronger as you get better. With this driver, I guess you have to keep in mind that a slower, smoother tempo is required, or else your the good results you were initially seeing will no longer be there.

TC - you thinking this would be better suited for the golfer that is perhaps older and knows there is no way his swing speed or tempo will increase and "outgrow" the driver?

I could definitely see hitting it really well and then wanting more and pushing it too far where the results are not as good. Guess that is when the tempo swing thought has to go back on my wrist.

TC - you thinking this would be better suited for the golfer that is perhaps older and knows there is no way his swing speed or tempo will increase and "outgrow" the driver?

I could definitely see hitting it really well and then wanting more and pushing it too far where the results are not as good. Guess that is when the tempo swing thought has to go back on my wrist.

Question wasnt meant for me, but going to throw in my .02 here.

I could see the possibility of "outgrowing" this driver, especially for folks like us Cookie that are mid-cappers that are working to improve our game. For me, right now with my Superfast, to keep myself in play off the tee I feel that I have to slow my swing down a bit and keep my tempo under control for good results. When I try to swing stronger/harder, I get a bit out of control and there is no way to tell where my tee shot will go.

Having hit the Black Driver and having seen good results, I dont feel that I was slowing myself significantly, but rather just making sure my swing was fluid from take-away to follow through. I did feel that I was able to swing a bit faster than I am with my Superfast and still keep the ball straight, as well as added distance.

I may be in the minority here, but I dont think I would mind grabbing a new driver for a year, especially if it helps me lower my scores, but also helps me learn to keep my swing and tempo under control, that way when I move on to a new driver, my swing is more consistent and I can have continued success.

Question wasnt meant for me, but going to throw in my .02 here.

I could see the possibility of "outgrowing" this driver, especially for folks like us Cookie that are mid-cappers that are working to improve our game. For me, right now with my Superfast, to keep myself in play off the tee I feel that I have to slow my swing down a bit and keep my tempo under control for good results. When I try to swing stronger/harder, I get a bit out of control and there is no way to tell where my tee shot will go.

Having hit the Black Driver and having seen good results, I dont feel that I was slowing myself significantly, but rather just making sure my swing was fluid from take-away to follow through. I did feel that I was able to swing a bit faster than I am with my Superfast and still keep the ball straight, as well as added distance.

I may be in the minority here, but I dont think I would mind grabbing a new driver for a year, especially if it helps me lower my scores, but also helps me learn to keep my swing and tempo under control, that way when I move on to a new driver, my swing is more consistent and I can have continued success.

Thanks for the thoughts war.eagle and I do agree. I always see better results when I have a good tempo and have really never seen much of anything good come out of really going after a drive (tried it last week on a video HOTD and it went 207 yards). With that said, as long as the buyer is aware going into it that they may see diminished results when getting above that 103-105 MPH mark then all is well. As I continually try and improve, I just don't think that getting a swing speed over what I have currently have is going to do much good over just keeping it at around 100 MPH with good tempo and transition.

So this driver is for old people?

"Old people" can have tempos that are too quick which will destroy any tee shot. I am not sure it's only about swing speed is it?

Not exclusively, but it's a great target market for this club. Not flashy, and a design that can definitely help that demographic and traditionnaly they have the most disposable income.

Back