Cleveland CG Black Driver Review

More than welcome to.

I thought it was 11/15?

Edit: From the review on the front page, it says release is 11/15.

Correct - I did see that in the article as well. But the email I got from Cleveland as well as the options if ordering online all say they are in store and ready to ship on 11/25. Sounds like they may have moved it back to do a black Friday launch.

So i have been increasing my number of clubs from the black line, especially with the lightweight miyazaki shafts and I picked up a driver in 9* off the bay for a steal. It came in last week and I am going to put it in play today with some head to head testing against the Amp. I hope I am out on the course by myself and can play an extra tee ball. Hoping that I continue to see a bump like I see with the black 3 wood. With a good swing I have never hit the ball farther.

So i have been increasing my number of clubs from the black line, especially with the lightweight miyazaki shafts and I picked up a driver in 9* off the bay for a steal. It came in last week and I am going to put it in play today with some head to head testing against the Amp. I hope I am out on the course by myself and can play an extra tee ball. Hoping that I continue to see a bump like I see with the black 3 wood. With a good swing I have never hit the ball farther.
Yesss! Get it done Frank!

Yesss! Get it done Frank!

Thanks buddy, I can't wait to give it my first swing. I have to figure out how I get the stars to align with the 3 wood, because I have hit a couple of driver long bombs with that thing, and I would love to see that transfer into the driver.

Thanks buddy, I can't wait to give it my first swing. I have to figure out how I get the stars to align with the 3 wood, because I have hit a couple of driver long bombs with that thing, and I would love to see that transfer into the driver.
The Black 3W is an animal.

Just go ahead and post the AMP in the BST thread now. I think you'll really enjoy the Black, can't wait to hear about your round buddy!

I had an interesting day today with the Black Driver. I didn't have my best swing going but I had an okay one. Driver swings were definitely better than the rest.

I took a few swing on the range and was making great contact and thought distance was on par, but the real thing I noticed was, wow this club is LONG. The shaft has to be an inch longer than the Amp. Don't think I really got adjusted the entire day, but was seeing some high long fades that were as long as my longest Amp drives, and some even longer. 3 out of the 7 times I used it on the front I saw better than most of my drives and the rest were right on par.

I just never got comfortable with it though and played the amp on the back and my drives were just as good or better than average on this same course. Hit a couple of bombs today with it. It's just so comfortable. Feels like home when I swing the amp. Think I will bench the black for the time being. I may even have it cut down a bit, it barely fits in my car.

Chop it Frank, or did you choke down any?

The length is interesting. I also thought somewhere I saw the AMP was .5-1" shorter than typical drivers maybe as well?

Chop it Frank, or did you choke down any?

No tinkering yet. I will choke down a bit next time and see. The amp just feels better right now, too. I love the ball coming off at that face.

No tinkering yet. I will choke down a bit next time and see. The amp just feels better right now, too. I love the ball coming off at that face.

I bet choking down will be a big help man. Should give you a little more control and straighten out the big fade.

I bet choking down will be a big help man. Should give you a little more control and straighten out the big fade.

It was a long fade, like if I straighten this out it would be awesome. Because it's longer should I move it up a bit in my stance?

Frank, is your Amp stock length?

Yep. Standard

I guess it's just a half inch longer but it just has a completely different feel. I hit some long drives with it. I'm just debating how much time I want to put into it bc I'm hitting the amp really well.

I guess it's just a half inch longer but it just has a completely different feel. I hit some long drives with it. I'm just debating how much time I want to put into it bc I'm hitting the amp really well.
Go with what works, dude.

It was a long fade, like if I straighten this out it would be awesome. Because it's longer should I move it up a bit in my stance?

Nope. I would just choke up on it a little bit. Or back off a hair. Contact in the center or towards the heel?

I just wanted to give a quick update about this driver since it has been a little while. This has been a special driver for me, completely changed my game off the tee. During my round Friday, at a new course that was pretty tight I never thought twice about pulling driver on the tee. That says a lot for the level of confidence I have with it. One penalty off the tee, because my playing partner told me the water was well out of play down the fairway, it wasn't. Otherwise it was another round of point and shoot tee shots, it's a fairway finder of the highest order.

Danny,

I'm done with this one and put it in the marketplace.

Danny,

You hit the amp too well to mess with anything else man. It's fun to experiment I know, but you've got a hammer in the bag.

I just wanted to give a quick update about this driver since it has been a little while. This has been a special driver for me, completely changed my game off the tee. During my round Friday, at a new course that was pretty tight I never thought twice about pulling driver on the tee. That says a lot for the level of confidence I have with it. One penalty off the tee, because my playing partner told me the water was well out of play down the fairway, it wasn't. Otherwise it was another round of point and shoot tee shots, it's a fairway finder of the highest order.
It seems that you and I both struck gold with the CG Black, SW. I pulled Driver on every hole today, even when I knew I didnt need to. The fact that I confidence from the tee that I will; 1. Be in play, and 2. Have good distance, is an absolute game changer for me. It's going to be hard to replace this Driver.
Danny,

Frank, That is not a good update. But, why fix what isnt broken? Amp it up dude!

I just picked up the Cleveland Black driver on ebay...10.5 degree...stiff shaft...I'm hoping to make it to a driving range this weekend to try it out.

Anyone still gaming this driver?

I just picked up the Cleveland Black driver on ebay...10.5 degree...stiff shaft...I'm hoping to make it to a driving range this weekend to try it out.

Anyone still gaming this driver?
I was up until I began testing the R1 Driver for the THP Forum Testing. The CG Black held down a spot in my bag for a solid 15 months. Love that driver. Completely changed the game for me.

I have played this driver for about 5-6 rounds now and it has been moderately successful. I have hit my share of fairways & distance is similar to the Srixon Z-Star. I got on the launch monitor & my spin was in the 4500 range & launch angle was in the 17.5 degree range. I can't bring down the spin or launch & I had a bad day with it yesterday.....so this club might be back on ebay.

Back