Cleveland CG Black Driver Review

Thanks for the review JB, this is definitely a great looking stick...possibly the best looking driver I've seen from the pics and videos you've posted on the forum. I can't wait to get a few swings with it to see if I'm one of those golfers whose game will be revolutionized by using it. I could use a little of that!

Let's say you snag up this driver, then your golf game evolves (like i believe it will), do you think a driver like this can be a hindrance? I mean, what if, as you mature as a golfer, you pick up clubhead speed, does a driver like this keep you from utilizing that (b/c deep down, you know it's ideal for sub 100 mph swing speeds)?

It could be different for you though, I mean, as a THP tester, chances are you'll have another driver in the bag year in and year out, but what about the guy out there who's like you, and he spends $399 on a driver that he could "out grow". Thoughts?

If anything, for me anyway, I am losing speed, not gaining it, so maybe this will help me get back to hitting some bombs off the tee. Only one way to find out though, and that is to hit it, which is exactly what I plan on doing.

If anything, for me anyway, I am losing speed, not gaining it, so maybe this will help me get back to hitting some bombs off the tee. Only one way to find out though, and that is to hit it, which is exactly what I plan on doing.

I tend to feel the same way. Im not gaining any speed in my swing and if I do its at the expense of tempo and then its a bad shot.

I tend to feel the same way. Im not gaining any speed in my swing and if I do its at the expense of tempo and then its a bad shot.

Exactly. I think you and I are playing the same game

Nice review, I look forward to taking some swings with it in spring!!

This is how I feel. I make much more solid contact when I just sloow down my swing.

Some interesting points TC, Hawk, Cookie, War Eagle, Gray... etc... I really, really want to hit this and even though I'm technically above what the club is engineered for, I almost think it won't matter. I'm wondering if in this case a smooth tempo would outweigh how fast your swing speed is?

I think every driver is essentially made for a certain golfer because of all the different "stock" shafts out there. I think marketing it it towards a certain group can limit it though. I know a lot of golfers who wont admit a sub 100 mph swing for whatever reason. Ego may keep some people away from this driver.

Excellent review JB! This is the best line in the whole review and should sway people who are on the fence about hitting it or not (me) to go and hit it.... "in the right hands, it can be absolutely revolutionary.' Pretty strong statement that if true for some golfers, could be a game changer.

Some interesting points TC, Hawk, Cookie, War Eagle, Gray... etc... I really, really want to hit this and even though I'm technically above what the club is engineered for, I almost think it won't matter. I'm wondering if in this case a smooth tempo would outweigh how fast your swing speed is?

I think every driver is essentially made for a certain golfer because of all the different "stock" shafts out there. I think marketing it it towards a certain group can limit it though. I know a lot of golfers who wont admit a sub 100 mph swing for whatever reason. Ego may keep some people away from this driver.
Personally, I feel that it's about both, but at the same time, in my experience with the driver a smooth tempo was much more important than the swing speed. By the end of the round, I was feeling very comfortable with the driver and was able to swing a bit stronger and still see great results (both rounds I played with the Black driver my 2 best shots came on #18, and probably when I swinging much faster while still keeping a good tempo and transition).

Let's say you snag up this driver, then your golf game evolves (like i believe it will), do you think a driver like this can be a hindrance? I mean, what if, as you mature as a golfer, you pick up clubhead speed, does a driver like this keep you from utilizing that (b/c deep down, you know it's ideal for sub 100 mph swing speeds)?

It could be different for you though, I mean, as a THP tester, chances are you'll have another driver in the bag year in and year out, but what about the guy out there who's like you, and he spends $399 on a driver that he could "out grow". Thoughts?

I think this could be true with any piece of equipment as long as you are a golfer that is continuing to improve. I've outgrown a couple drivers, one set of irons, and one putter. They are either in a closet or given to my son. I was happy to outgrow it and happy to buy new gear. If you're into the sport, you want to take advantage of technology, even if it means shelling out some bucks every year or two.

An older, retired golfer told me at his age "you don't get any better, only worse."

That right there is a great review. Here's what it does, here's who would benefit but remember to go get fit. Excellent!

Usually we see OEMs putting out ‘the best club for everyone’, but Cleveland really is throwing weight behind the proper fitting process and telling us where their clubs work best. Really refreshing to hear.

This +1000. One of the things I really like Cleveland for is that they set a product out there with a purpose. It's designed to do X for Y type of player and it does exactly that and does it well. Oh your a Z type of player? Ya, we've got you covered to with this. It really shows their commitment to proper fitting and then making products that are easily accessable to people with their fitting specs.

Some people might not like the reference but it's like taking Titleist's approach and then one upping it. Get fit so we know what type of golfer you are and what you need and BAM there's your product to match. The difference being that this is more accessable to people with a wider range of skill. There's no "better" player qualification on it. Just a simple get fit and we can help you play your best. Simple, direct and well engineered is a golden combo.

TC - you thinking this would be better suited for the golfer that is perhaps older and knows there is no way his swing speed or tempo will increase and "outgrow" the driver?
So this driver is for old people?

I would argue that while they could use it there's a much larger market for it and that's the weekend golfer. When you talk to the Bridgestone ball guys how many in their testing have a SS over 100mph with a driver? I don't recall the actual percentage but it was pretty small. There's a huge population of people out there that this would be a great club to be fit into whether they're happy with their game or trying to get better.
I hope the all black really works for Cleveland here since I bet there's a number of players using a driver in the opposite colour that doesn't fit them nearly as well as this one could.

That won't work mate. At some point no matter how smoothed your tempo if your swing is say 108, there has to be an acceleration point above the 103mph which is going to distort how the physics of the club/shaft work.

That won't work mate. At some point no matter how smoothed your tempo if your swing is say 108, there has to be an acceleration point above the 103mph which is going to distort how the physics of the club/shaft work.

With that being said, I wonder how this head would perform with a different shaft in it if you were ballooning it?

With that being said, I wonder how this head would perform with a different shaft in it if you were ballooning it?

Well from listening to the radio show it's a higher launch, higher spin head to help get that ball up in the 100 and less range. I'd say if you were that 108 swinger and dead set on using this head you certainly could but would likely have to drop the loft and pair it with a heavier, lower launching and spinning shaft. Also the problem could be other things. You could end of launching the ball too high, you could be spinning it too much, you could do both at once, your contact pattern could be inconsistent, etc.

I mean there's nothing stopping one from customizing the club out the wazoo if one wants but why not start with a SL290 or TL310 and go from there since their likely to fit a higher speed player from the off more and then tweak as needed. I'll bet it shocking to hear this from me of all people but frankenstiening a club isn't particularly productive unless one has a very specific goal in mind from the beginning.

Nice review. I'm definitely interested in hitting this at some point!

Nice review JB, really breaks down who the club is for and what it is designed to do. I was really saddened to hear that the club probably isn't for me, because it is just a beautiful club. I'm sure it is going to be an asset to many golfers however.

THere is some great conversation in there, but the truth is the idea of outgrowing a club should really not be that great. Frankly, no more so than the idea of outgrowing anything else. Most swing speeds for amateurs are not too high and if this helps create control (TBD), then it could help more than it would hurt. I mean if you want to discuss outgrowing because of swing speed, we would then have to dissect outgrowing because of onset and offset, weighting in clubs, length, lie angle and every other avenue of fitting. Swings change over time and due to any number of reasons.

My backspin is already too high and my ball flight is high enough. Wonder if a stiff shaft would lower the launch?

My backspin is already too high and my ball flight is high enough. Wonder if a stiff shaft would lower the launch?

That's one of my concerns right now too. Only one way to find out though.

Well from listening to the radio show it's a higher launch, higher spin head to help get that ball up in the 100 and less range. I'd say if you were that 108 swinger and dead set on using this head you certainly could but would likely have to drop the loft and pair it with a heavier, lower launching and spinning shaft. Also the problem could be other things. You could end of launching the ball too high, you could be spinning it too much, you could do both at once, your contact pattern could be inconsistent, etc.

I mean there's nothing stopping one from customizing the club out the wazoo if one wants but why not start with a SL290 or TL310 and go from there since their likely to fit a higher speed player from the off more and then tweak as needed. I'll bet it shocking to hear this from me of all people but frankenstiening a club isn't particularly productive unless one has a very specific goal in mind from the beginning.

Half the fun is frankensteining a club haha. I like the all blacked out look, so it was just a thought of how it would perform with a different shaft. I forgot it was a higher spin head though.

Half the fun is frankensteining a club haha. I like the all blacked out look, so it was just a thought of how it would perform with a different shaft. I forgot it was a higher spin head though.

Slap a Kusala Black in that sucker and call it a day. Black on black = winning!

I can see this one sitting pretty in my bag. After this review and the radio show that was mentioned, I think this thing is perfect for me.

Awesome review JB, cant wait to have this in my bag.

I can see this one sitting pretty in my bag. After this review and the radio show that was mentioned, I think this thing is perfect for me.

I'm thinking the same thing.

The Cleveland SL290 driver worked well for me this year, so I am very interested in their new offering. The comment about up to 14 more yards caught my attention too. I am concerned about the shaft length at 46". I wonder if there will be an accuracy tradeoff for the extra distance?

My Burner HT is nervous...and for good reason. I cant wait to try this out.

Back