Cleveland CG Black Driver Review

I think you should sell that Superfast and get yourself a CG Black. You could be the first of many on THP!

At this time, that's the plan. But ironically, I had two of my best driving days with the Superfast that I have ever had over this past weekend. Back to back rounds where I felt like I couldnt miss the fairway.

i am a high spin, high launch low 90s swing speed player.
would the black driver be too high spin or high launch for me?
or would the bridgestone spin killer j40 be a better fit?
there is no way i can demo and get on a monitor over here.

i am a high spin, high launch low 90s swing speed player.
would the black driver be too high spin or high launch for me?
or would the bridgestone spin killer j40 be a better fit?
there is no way i can demo and get on a monitor over here.

I think the only way to find that out is through testing and seeing some numbers. What kind of spin are you seeing right now to deem it high spin?

I came very close to pulling the trigger last night. I need to hit this club first.

Tapatalk

I think the only way to find that out is through testing and seeing some numbers. What kind of spin are you seeing right now to deem it high spin?

i was getting high 3000rpm with regular shafts.
i am getting around 3300rpm with the stiff dromos right now.
but my drives still check up regularly and i hardly get any roll.
and that is killing me.

This will spin more than the Dromos most likely (assuming Dromos is in Z-Star).

i know the best thing is testing but there is no way to do that over here.
so i have to buy on the blind again.
the reviews on the black driver really piqued my interest but i am really worried that i will get too high of a trajectory and the ball will check up when it hits the ground.
i have been fighting those 2 demons for the longest time.

yep... its in the z-star

you moved very quickly from the black driver to the j40 and kusala white.
did the black spin too much for you?
and what do you think of the stock project x in the j40?
i know its the real deal but i am wondering how it works in that combo.

you moved very quickly from the black driver to the j40 and kusala white.
did the black spin too much for you?
and what do you think of the stock project x in the j40?
i know its the real deal but i am wondering how it works in that combo.

My full review of the Bridgestone J40 driver can be found on the home page.
As for moving from the Black, it is really not the case. I am testing the white Kusala shaft and it is installed in the J40 driver.

My full review of the Bridgestone J40 driver can be found on the home page.
As for moving from the Black, it is really not the case. I am testing the white Kusala shaft and it is installed in the J40 driver.

i read the review.
it was a good read.
based on the scarce information that i can give you, do you think the j40 would be a better fit for me?

i read the review.
it was a good read.
based on the scarce information that i can give you, do you think the j40 would be a better fit for me?

Its really hard for me to say because they are both very very different drivers. One is extremely light and very forgiving and the other is a very low spinning driver that is geared towards altering ball flight.

Its really hard for me to say because they are both very very different drivers. One is extremely light and very forgiving and the other is a very low spinning driver that is geared towards altering ball flight.

i see.
how does the j40 perform differently on the kusala white versus the project x?

i see.
how does the j40 perform differently on the kusala white versus the project x?

There is quite a bit of information in the appropriate Kusala thread. check that one out in the shaft section.

ok buddy.
thanks for the great information.

Im really torn when it comes to this driver. There is a lot of good information and results in here already that intrigue me. Im really torn on the 9* or 10.5* head though and what would work better. I sure like a lot of what I see so far though.

Kevin based on what I saw in your video, once you get you swing worked out this would be good for you, IMO. I have played a 10.5 my entire career occasionally moving to 9.5 only to get ride of it. I hit a high ball and the 10.5 did produce a high ball flight. It was actually more of mid/high planing ball flight

Kevin based on what I saw in your video, once you get you swing worked out this would be good for you, IMO. I have played a 10.5 my entire career occasionally moving to 9.5 only to get ride of it. I hit a high ball and the 10.5 did produce a high ball flight. It was actually more of mid/high planing ball flight

Tadashi, you are a vault of information my friend.

Are you saying that with the 10.5 Black Driver, you were getting a higher ball flight than you are used to with other drivers?

Tadashi, you are a vault of information my friend.

Are you saying that with the 10.5 Black Driver, you were getting a higher ball flight than you are used to with other drivers?

No, my ball flight was not any higher than it is with my current driver. I actuall got a really nice planed out mid/high flight with a slight fade. Now when I missed it it was very high and way right.

Any idea as to why this is $100 more than the Ultralight drivers? This seems like an extension of that line to me.

No, my ball flight was not any higher than it is with my current driver. I actuall got a really nice planed out mid/high flight with a slight fade. Now when I missed it it was very high and way right.
Ok, I see what you are saying now. Thanks.

Any idea as to why this is $100 more than the Ultralight drivers? This seems like an extension of that line to me.

Premium shaft. Thats my guess.

Josh,
Did you check out the radio show from last week listed in the review? Nate from Cleveland discusses the differences in the clubs quite a bit.

I think JB is more designed to speak to this than I but I always felt Cleveland put a lower tag on the other drivers to get them out to the masses with Miyazaki shafts. Now the word is out and they can offer the black at a higher price point. Plus it's right in line with the other magic sticks on the market. Again this is just me talking I don't know if this fact.

Thanks Tadashi. Im thinking this could be a good fit for me too. I'll have to see if I can get on a monitor and try both the 10.5 and 9*. Then I'll decide from what I see.

Back