Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I'm going to have to pull the Kusala out of my Cleveland Classic for the Vision ball testing. I hit the ball much lower with the Kusala than I do with the C kua 43 gram shaft. Either that or put my other driver in the bag for the ball testing. I need to be able to see a true ball flight, true roll out, etc. in my upcoming job.

i hit some bombs yesterday with the CC310. played in a 4man scramble and anchored on the tee shots all day, so for a lot of the holes, i was able to just have free range and let 'er rip. i averaged well above 250 yesterday for certain. i hit a couple 300+ (downhills) but i did really reach back for one, about pulled something and hit it about 290, just right of the green on a very short par 4. only really faltered twice towards the end of the day, when i started to get tired and was hitting slight hooks.

For me the RIP Alpha(I have one in another driver), has a higher flight than the Kusala Black black in my 290 head. More of a mid/high flight for the Rip Alpha and a mid for the Kusala Black. I may have to go stiffer with the Kusala as mine ballooned a little on a couple hard swings yesterday - I'm hoping it was the wind.

Well my CC and I really seemed to click today. 7 of 10 fairway's today, two were just off the fairway, the other was a bad swing by me. Ball flight penetrated up to a high top end, then seemed to level out. It seemed my distances were a bit short but the air was really heavy and humid today.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the responses on the 59. I don't want to thread jack here, but this is the one club that I would want to own if it wasn't for some recent obstacles that have really affected my golf budget.

I played all last year w/ the G15 in the stock Reg but the dispersion was all over the place. Part of that was my swing, but at the stock length I wasn't hitting the center of the club enough. This year I switched to the YSQ 65 in Stiff and cut it down to 45". It is supposed to be a high launch head so I thought the YSQ would be a good fit, and it is. I have hit the longest drives w/ this set-up, one GPS over 280 and another that seemed longer but did not GPS it. My average good drive with it is probably in the 230-240 range total with a good amount of roll out included. The long drives (less short?) are shots that seem to launch a little higher, but still roll out a good 40 yards, and start and stay just right of my target so I am guessing I am leaving the face slightly open. I am mostly a line drive hitter though. My stock shot is a small fade. Miss is a slice when I come over the top. I am trying to see those high but penetrating drives be the stock shot and not a random occurrence, and after a lot of reading on this thread, it seems like there should be a combination w the Classic that could achieve this..

So that is why my ponder is a 12 deg but I am hasty to try that w/ the 43S. I have a DST 12 deg for wet days w/ stock regular that I feel balloons and I get no run out, w/ good drives in the 220 range. It also sets up real closed, and that's why I am hesitant to spend $ re-shafting it. My miss is a pull left with it.

My only experience w a lightweight shaft was an Adams V3 4 hybrid w the stock Bassara. This thing went left and lefter for me.

It is all kind of moot since I don't have the cash right now, nor a place to try the club. Sorry for the long post. I wanted to provide all relevant info.

No worries, man. I wouldn't want to suggest something for you and it not work out. It sounds like you hit your G15 pretty well. What loft is it? I know you said you don't have a place to try the club, but getting fitted really is the way to go.

First round with the 12* and the Indigo did not go so well. Most tee ball went left, I did have 2 very nice low to mid piercing shots that just seemed to roll out a long way. Such a huge difference in flight between the 10.5*/Blueboard and the 12*/Indigo. I would of sworn I would still get a higher flight with the 12 but not at all. A few range sessions I hope will get the lefts out, already sold the 10.5 so I hope it works out.

Keep at it, Vince. I've had some great days and some not so great days with the driver.

Keep at it, Vince. I've had some great days and some not so great days with the driver.

Yeah its just funny, I know my swing has a lot of flaws and I did hit 2 fantastic shots today. At address the face seems like its really closed compared to the 10.5 and I really cant complain only getting 2-3 rounds in a month during summer. My game will suffer a bit but come September its all golf for me. Worst case I try the Blue but just kept thinking the 12* head with a low/mid launch shaft would be money and it probably is. Just need to practice and play some more.

For me the RIP Alpha(I have one in another driver), has a higher flight than the Kusala Black black in my 290 head. More of a mid/high flight for the Rip Alpha and a mid for the Kusala Black. I may have to go stiffer with the Kusala as mine ballooned a little on a couple hard swings yesterday - I'm hoping it was the wind.

I got a good deal on the RIP/290 combo and bought it on a whim. I feel like I'm going to be very accurate with it, but I am surprised by how high I hit it. I'm seeing good carry distance but absolutely no roll.

bhilln had the 310 with the Kusala Black 61s and I'll be damned if I didn't really like that driver on the range. Made me want to get another Classic with that shaft in it. Ball flight was obviously a little lower, but it really carried well for me. For some reason, I came away thinking the shaft felt really nice. I don't know if I can really put it into words, but I liked it.

bhilln had the 310 with the Kusala Black 61s and I'll be damned if I didn't really like that driver on the range. Made me want to get another Classic with that shaft in it. Ball flight was obviously a little lower, but it really carried well for me. For some reason, I came away thinking the shaft felt really nice. I don't know if I can really put it into words, but I liked it.

Stout! Start throwing kegs around with TC and I and you'll need that shaft in extra stiff. Erica likey. Ive seen some with the Blue at GG but it was the Tour which I dont have interest in at all.

Stout! Start throwing kegs around with TC and I and you'll need that shaft in extra stiff. Erica likey. Ive seen some with the Blue at GG but it was the Tour which I dont have interest in at all.

Kusala black + Classic = Bombs!

Throwing kegs around certainly helps too!

It's a nice combo isn't it Ryan? I enjoy the heck out of it. SO much that I might go play golf right now.

I hit this club the other day I swear I hit 20 to 30 yards further and it feels awesome.

*flexes*

The weird thing was that it didn't really feel stiff like I imagined it would. I've hit the Blue a few times and I think I preferred the Black by a pretty big margin. I don't get it.

That said, bhilln promptly showed me how it's really supposed to be hit. He was long knocking it out there to spots that I usually only see after my second shot.

I want to go play golf too, TC. I was considering a little hookie playing today, but chickened out.

Stupid long knockers and their drives going too far. Why make the game so easy? I prefer to get my moneys worth and hit more shots.

*flexes*

The weird thing was that it didn't really feel stiff like I imagined it would. I've hit the Blue a few times and I think I preferred the Black by a pretty big margin. I don't get it.

That said, bhilln promptly showed me how it's really supposed to be hit. He was long knocking it out there to spots that I usually only see after my second shot.

Its the flex code numbers. Look at where the smaller numbers are. The Black has a softer butt end that translates to really smooth feel throughout the swing.

That's it, I'm going to get my Classic on. I'm going to hit it on #1, which isn't even a driver hole.

*flexes*

I thought the Black was even lower launching than the blue? Big Bird you must have some serious club head speed to launch that thing up in the air :D

Stupid long knockers and their drives going too far. Why make the game so easy? I prefer to get my moneys worth and hit more shots.

Yea, I played with three long knockers yesterday. Talk about a little ego killer haha.

Its the flex code numbers. Look at where the smaller numbers are. The Black has a softer butt end that translates to really smooth feel throughout the swing.

That's what I was thinking would be the reason, but I wasn't sure. I'd like to give it some more swings to see if I feel the same a second time. Too easy to hit a few good ones one time and let my judgement get cloudy.

That's it, I'm going to get my Classic on. I'm going to hit it on #1, which isn't even a driver hole.

Nice! Glad we could help you make this choice.

I thought the Black was even lower launching than the blue? Big Bird you must have some serious club head speed to launch that thing up in the air :D

Hahaha. No. I just spin the driver like it's a gap wedge.

Well I finally got out and put about 40 swings on the 290 10.5 Classic this past Saturday at the Range. I am sure I may have built it up a little too much in my head, because I was pretty let down with the first 15 or so swings. Every one of them were weak, high and right, I could not explain it , but after putting it down, and picking it back up after hitting a few other clubs in the bag I started to hit some better balls. Over all first time out I would give the Classic a C+ to B-, but that in no way finishes my experiment with the classic, and I am not taking user error out of the equation.

Things I love, are the looks, feel and sound , ball flight on the 3 or 4 good drives where mid-high, straight with maybe a hint of fade. My eyes are not the best but my friend who was watching with me, said a few carried the 250 marker, and looked to have good roll when landing. I will put this driver in the bag this weekend and try and get a better idea of how far it’s traveling on the course where I can see the end result.

Two things I need to try and understand a little better, first the shaft is about 19 grams lighter than my present gamer, and the torque is 4.5 compared to my 3.5 in my Accra. After some time, and maybe with the chance of hitting a few other set ups at the THP event here in charlotte in a few months I will find a better combo, if it’s needed, but I will commit the next few months to seeing what the stock combo does.

I like the idea of trying to find a used C . Kua 59s shaft next , because it would bridge the weight gap at 61, torque would be 3.5 and little stiffer mid shaft profile 5674 vs. 8722 (43s)

Had a pretty mediocre day overall yesterday. Good news is that I finally seem to be getting my driver swing back. Hit the Classic exclusively yesterday and saw some of my best drives yet this year. Felt good being confident with this stick again. Looking forward to gaming it tomorrow in league.

You hit it the 310 well yesterday, when people see it I think they are intimidated that it's a smaller head, think it'll be totally unforgiving and fear the low-launch black shaft. I thought that myself until I hit some balls...

For my swing / feel, the Black shaft just works better for me than the C.Kua line. I hit the 290 with the lower launch CKua 59g shaft as well and the Black just works better for me. I get a lot more roll out with the 310 than any of the other Classic options, and that's something I like as well. Can't beat the feel of the Black shaft also... fantastic.

Like I told Hawk, if I could get anything I would probably go with a 290 with the black but I just couldn't justify the up-charge with the 310 option available. I think a lot of people who can't justify the extra $$ to upgrade to a Kusla shaft should try out the 310. I think it would surprise a lot of people. Maybe this winter if I can find a used or cheap 290 I'll swap it out to try, but I'm pretty happy with it right now.

Back