Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

If they had offered the 290 with the black at the price of the 310 I would have been all over it a long time ago.

You hit it the 310 well yesterday, when people see it I think they are intimidated that it's a smaller head, think it'll be totally unforgiving and fear the low-launch black shaft. I thought that myself until I hit some balls...

For my swing / feel, the Black shaft just works better for me than the C.Kua line. I hit the 290 with the lower launch CKua 59g shaft as well and the Black just works better for me. I get a lot more roll out with the 310 than any of the other Classic options, and that's something I like as well. Can't beat the feel of the Black shaft also... fantastic.

Like I told Hawk, if I could get anything I would probably go with a 290 with the black but I just couldn't justify the up-charge with the 310 option available. I think a lot of people who can't justify the extra $$ to upgrade to a Kusla shaft should try out the 310. I think it would surprise a lot of people. Maybe this winter if I can find a used or cheap 290 I'll swap it out to try, but I'm pretty happy with it right now.

I think you're exactly right. It's one of those things that sounds a little scarier than it really is. The face definitely isn't as big, but it wasn't quite as different as I thought it would be. Honestly, I think the Black is a great match for that 310 head because it's not designed to be as low spinning/launching.

Did you buy that driver in stock length?

I am struggling off the tee with my Classic, the smooth tempo swing just isnt getting me much carry distance...There might be a driver switch! Marketplace might be next!

I am struggling off the tee with my Classic, the smooth tempo swing just isnt getting me much carry distance...There might be a driver switch! Marketplace might be next!

I'm not sure I've seen a driver that responds better to a smooth swing better then the Black. Try it

I think I might do that. If thats true, someone is gonna get a heck of a deal on my Classic

I think you're exactly right. It's one of those things that sounds a little scarier than it really is. The face definitely isn't as big, but it wasn't quite as different as I thought it would be. Honestly, I think the Black is a great match for that 310 head because it's not designed to be as low spinning/launching.

Did you buy that driver in stock length?

Yes, it's stock length.

I think I might do that. If thats true, someone is gonna get a heck of a deal on my Classic

Having seen you swing I think it might fit you very well.

I've been buying the hype on here the last few weeks and this weekend decided to pull the trigger on a used classic. Went out and I kid you not, hit one ball with the driver and the shaft snapped about five inches above the head. Luckily I got a full reimbursement but I've yet to discover whether or not this is the driver for me.

I've been buying the hype on here the last few weeks and this weekend decided to pull the trigger on a used classic. Went out and I kid you not, hit one ball with the driver and the shaft snapped about five inches above the head. Luckily I got a full reimbursement but I've yet to discover whether or not this is the driver for me.

wow, now that raises some issues

That is crazy lambro. You saw we had about 8 of these at demo day hitting hundreds of balls each and more on Tour Van visits. And of course I have had mine for so long and not a single issue. Hopefully a second one does the trick for you.

I FINALLY was smoking this driver again today. I've been struggling like heck off the tee and it felt really nice to hit the ball well. I swear I was putting about 75% of the energy into the swing today compared to what I had been over the last month, but everything was better. Had a straight or right/left ball flight and a mid/high trajectory. This thing sure feels awesome when you get off the heel. I'm going to hit the hell out of it tomorrow I think.

Nice to hear Hawk. nothing like finding the thunder before you have to put it on the line.
I FINALLY was smoking this driver again today. I've been struggling like heck off the tee and it felt really nice to hit the ball well. I swear I was putting about 75% of the energy into the swing today compared to what I had been over the last month, but everything was better. Had a straight or right/left ball flight and a mid/high trajectory. This thing sure feels awesome when you get off the heel. I'm going to hit the hell out of it tomorrow I think.

Little late to the party but glad you got it back Hawk. This driver is sweet when it's rolling for you.

I was dialing in this driver at the range earlier today. I'm prepared to hit it a bunch at True Blue over the weekend. I had an interesting experience though that went back to something that we were talking about earlier in this thread, which was tee height. The range that I practice at is all mats, so we have those plastic tees in the ground that don't change height. The stall that I was had a tee where probably half of the ball being above the top of the club, or maybe a little more. On most shots, I was getting a ton of height, but the dispersion wasn't all that good and I could see the ball was getting hurt by the wind at times, which was into us on the range. On a whim, I decided to move to the next stall where the tee height was a little lower. So now the ball was just barely over the top of the club, and it results in shots that were a slight bit lower but much straighter and penetrating into the wind. I don't know if that means I need to have a little less spin with this driver or something else, but I now know how high to tee it up with this club. I always thought that with such a deep-faced club, I had to tee it up as high as possible, but that's not been the case.

I still love the center section of the face, if you hit it anywhere on that colored area you know the result is going to be pretty good, and it gives you some nice feedback with range balls to show you where you are hitting it on the face. I can't wait to talk about this driver some more on Media Day and then show it off all weekend long.

Not feeling the love with the 12* and Indigo. I miss the 10.5/Blueboard...

What are the issues that you are having?

Sent from Tapatalk

Man that stinks to hear that, what is the problem you are having?

What are the issues that you are having?

Sent from Tapatalk

Man that stinks to hear that, what is the problem you are having?

Most of my shots are dead pull's which I know I have swing flaws that I am working on. Low ball flight which may tie into my swing but I was more consistant with the 10.5. I am not giving up, just need to put in some good range time. I will say that the 12* gives some serious roll out.

Something went wonky with the tip/hosel my Titleist 910D3 so I threw my Miyazaki into a Classic 290 10.5. Wow! The feel is incredible.

Something went wonky with the tip/hosel my Titleist 910D3 so I threw my Miyazaki into a Classic 290 10.5. Wow! The feel is incredible.

nice, white 61x is on the short list if the stock does not work out.

I really got to know this Classic again today. It really loves a grooved, in tempo swing, and it rewards me with an accurate baby fade. When I try to kill it, bad things happen...mega slice. But I did almost drive a short par 4 (playing 270 yards) today, got the ball to roll pin high, just off the right side of the green. I've been getting lots more rollout these days from this beauty and I love it.

I really got to know this Classic again today. It really loves a grooved, in tempo swing, and it rewards me with an accurate baby fade. When I try to kill it, bad things happen...mega slice. But I did almost drive a short par 4 (playing 270 yards) today, got the ball to roll pin high, just off the right side of the green. I've been getting lots more rollout these days from this beauty and I love it.

That's awesome JN. Ian starting to get in a groove with mine, I had a drive yesterday measured out at 273. It really doesn't reward an out of tempo swing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I just wanna say I've really, really fallen in love with this club. I hit it further and more accurate than any other driver I've owned. It's absolutely the best driver I've ever put in my bag.

I just wanna say I've really, really fallen in love with this club. I hit it further and more accurate than any other driver I've owned. It's absolutely the best driver I've ever put in my bag.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I love mine. The first time I took it out, I hit it really, really high, but have started hitting it a little lower. I'm getting a lot of carry distance but not much roll out, but I'm ok with it for now, because I'm hitting it far and very accurately. I drove the ball today about as well as I ever have. I was playing an incredibly tight course and probably shouldn't have been hitting driver, but I have so much confidence with it, I couldn't resist.

I have to honest as much as I wanted to love the classic, but I just can't seem to hit it decent at all. Going to give it some course time and if still does not work for me then I will look to reshaft it.

Back