Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

And I'm in. It's getting expensive to read these long threads as I just bought the 2.0 irons last week largely based on that thread. First time at the simulator with those irons showed promise, but my swing was brittle a/k/a awful but the times I swung well those things were great. Back to this thread so the police don't chastise me. Toughest thing for me was to figure out how to fill the gaps. I went with the M4 to replace my 4-iron and my current FT-IZ hybrid as they are both at 21*. Even though my 5-iron is 24* and the M4 is 23* I figure the extra heft of the face and the added shaft length will make it play stronger -- more like my 4-iron/current 3 hybrid. The M3 should then help to bridge the gap to get to my 4-wood. I figure I'd rather have bigger gaps when I get into the woods anyway since I don't get too concerned over 5-10 yards when I'm 200-225 yds out. Let's face it, for me anyways, all I want is a club I can hit consistently and straight when I'm that far out to give me a chance to get up-and-down if I miss the green. I'm not really looking to score at that distance. I just didn't want a big gap in that 175-200 yard range because I do get that distance a lot especially since every friggin' golf course now thinks that a par 3 needs to be in that distance. They need to go study #12 at Augusta to learn that a great par 3 can be short if you build it correctly. Bought them from Golfsmith since they have a coupon code for 15% off plus free shipping which means they cost $127.49 each. Heck if the experiment goes bad I'll still have two really nice shafts to put in different clubs.

Ive found the M4 to be useful for me on the longer par 3 holes, Haggis. The ball lands soft and doesn't scoot off the green. Can't wait to hear it how it works for you

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

Can't believe how inexpensive these clubs are.

No doubt buddy. It's crazy to think that a $140 club comes with a $150 shaft....it almost makes no sense NOT to get one.

Congrats Haggis! Welcome to the 'club'. Let's us know how it goes once you start to hit it

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

And I'm in. It's getting expensive to read these long threads as I just bought the 2.0 irons last week largely based on that thread. First time at the simulator with those irons showed promise, but my swing was brittle a/k/a awful but the times I swung well those things were great. Back to this thread so the police don't chastise me. Toughest thing for me was to figure out how to fill the gaps. I went with the M4 to replace my 4-iron and my current FT-IZ hybrid as they are both at 21*. Even though my 5-iron is 24* and the M4 is 23* I figure the extra heft of the face and the added shaft length will make it play stronger -- more like my 4-iron/current 3 hybrid. The M3 should then help to bridge the gap to get to my 4-wood. I figure I'd rather have bigger gaps when I get into the woods anyway since I don't get too concerned over 5-10 yards when I'm 200-225 yds out. Let's face it, for me anyways, all I want is a club I can hit consistently and straight when I'm that far out to give me a chance to get up-and-down if I miss the green. I'm not really looking to score at that distance. I just didn't want a big gap in that 175-200 yard range because I do get that distance a lot especially since every friggin' golf course now thinks that a par 3 needs to be in that distance. They need to go study #12 at Augusta to learn that a great par 3 can be short if you build it correctly. Bought them from Golfsmith since they have a coupon code for 15% off plus free shipping which means they cost $127.49 each. Heck if the experiment goes bad I'll still have two really nice shafts to put in different clubs.

Congrats on your M4 Haggis! How did you feel the FTiz compared with the Mashie? I see you replaced your FTiz #3 with the M4......what were your distances with each? I'm in the same dilema right now trying to figure out the top of my bag and trying to decide what to do with the 2 FTiz hybrids I have.

Ive found the M4 to be useful for me on the longer par 3 holes, Haggis. The ball lands soft and doesn't scoot off the green. Can't wait to hear it how it works for you

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

that's a big reason I went with the M4!

I hit the M2 yesterday on my personal day haha. And I wasn't having quite the same success as I was with the the M3. I've been hooking the lights out of everything lately so I was expecting it. I also noticed I wasn't getting quite the distance (monitor) that I'm used to off my M3. Which was odd. I need get it out on course to GPS or go to another sim just to verify. Not making excuses just really odd. I do GPS my distances and what I saw on the launch monitor was completely different from other monitors and course time.

The M2 didn't seem any harder to hit than the M3 and felt just as good. I would've hit the M1 but they did not have them in stock.

I try to not compare club to club but I was able to also hit the new VR Hybrid side by side. It was a 20 or 21* I want to say. I immediately noticed a difference in weight. I also felt the heavier all around club exaggerated my hook more than the lighter one. The lighter shaft I swing without going overboard. It was still a great hybrid but after going light, I don't think I'm going back towards the heavy stuff again.

Definitely will be getting some Mashie love on this weekend at my local GG for their Cleveland launch party....might even try to hit the 3w again but really want to see what the M4 can do for me

You'll definitely have to let us know. I miss Golf Galaxy's for launch events! I just missed a chance to hit the M1 at a demo day they had at Golfsmith. Hope it goes well for you Hanks!

Definitely will be getting some Mashie love on this weekend at my local GG for their Cleveland launch party....might even try to hit the 3w again but really want to see what the M4 can do for me

already have my guy holding one aside for me when they get the shipment in.....hehe
You'll definitely have to let us know. I miss Golf Galaxy's for launch events! I just missed a chance to hit the M1 at a demo day they had at Golfsmith. Hope it goes well for you Hanks!

Lol. That is awesome man. When I was hitting the club I was giving people a full rundown of why it was so special. Went over the shaft a lot and they couldn't believe the value. They were thinking I worked there probably.

already have my guy holding one aside for me when they get the shipment in.....hehe

After reading all of the posts on this thread I was really excited to try out the Mashie. I went down to the Roger Dunn and they had them in stock. I hit the M1 since I am interested in getting rid of my 3W (just can't hit it consistently). All I have to say is that I walked out of the store with an M1 and and M3. The next day I headed to the course and the 2 clubs performed great for me. I hit the M1 off the tee 3 times and it had a nice ball flight with a soft landing. 2 of the shots hit the fairway and the 3rd was a yard or two in the rough (bad swing on my part). I hit the M3 off the deck a few times from about 200 yards out and one shot missed the green just to the left and into the sand. The other shot was high, straight, and landed softly on the green. I can't wait to actually practice with these sticks on the range. It can only get better from here, right?

My Mashies are set to arrive on monday!
I can't wait!

M3 and M1 in hand...heading to the simulator Saturday morning!

How's the length on these? I know rescue woods are generally one inch longer than standard, but not sure about hybrids... My irons are all +1". Will these come short stock? Thinking of taking advantage of Golfsmith's President's Day Sale.

Question to those of you who bought without testing: What if you don't like the lightweight shaft? Then what?

I just preordered a M3 with an 83. All the praise here... couldnt resist...

Question to those of you who bought without testing: What if you don't like the lightweight shaft? Then what?

Sell/trade local?
(At this point I'm sort of then whating with the 83 anyways which is my own fault for not testing first. I have hopes the Kua will rock it more then the kusala for me though)

Final review

Final review

Well its sad day here at the Bridges household. Today is the day I must admit defeat. Mashie and I had a great time. Ventured through trees, back yards, roof tops, a few cart paths, scared a few wild animals and most recently went for a swim.

It has been almost 2 full months since i first started testing the mashie and it has been a blast. I enjoyed hitting it, and while I was more frustrated than happy, I really enjoyed writing reviews and talking with the other 5 testers about the clubs. I must have sent Yoccos and TC about 30 txs each asking for advice and just talking with them about the club.

It is a great draw dropping, goofy grin on your face club when you catch it clean, the few great shots I hit were just flat out amazing. I wanted desperately to be able to hit this club because of the fact when you hit it good, it just goes. Ball flight was great, distance was excellent and the feel was amazing. It is a very forgiving hybrid and can take on just about any lie you throw at it.

Wanted to have a little part about the shaft. AMAZING! Is a word that fits it very well. I love the feeling of the shaft when it contacted the ball. I could feel all the way up through my hands on exactly were the ball hit the club face and when you just pure one its like nothing you have ever felt before. Just an awesome feeling. Big props for Cleveland putting a $200 dollar shaft in a club then making it very very affordable.

The head cover held up great as well as the grip, I had no issues whatsoever with both of those. The club face held up very nicely to wear and was very easy to clean.

I just could never get comfortable with the mashie, I would have a good day followed by 2-3 bad days then another good day, just no consistency though. I hit a lot of hooks and big draws, and I just cant have that in a hybrid. As I said before, I wanted to love it but just could not get it to work for me. I tried many different ball positions with no luck, I always ended up just looking down and shaking my head after every shot (much like what JB looked like after GG out drove him. Sorry JB, I had to haha) The mashie can be used in a lot of ways, I hit numerous low stingers with great success, in fact I had the most success with that, was very easy to hit little chip shots on the green to. But after all was said and done it just did not work out for my game and Im very sad that it didnt.

I hope all of you that have ordered a mashie because of this thread really end up loving it. I have read every single comment in here and seeing everyone so excited about one club is really awesome. I cant wait to read everyone's reviews and I hope it works out for all of you!

I cant thank Cleveland Golf and THP enough, I really have enjoyed this experience, it was hard work but was worth every second of it. Looking forward to hopefully being able to test out more clubs in the future.

Thank you everyone for reading all of my reviews and your kind words, it was much appreciated!

Great post Bridges and I for one have really enjoyed reading your reviews.

Sorry that the Mashie didn't work out four you Bridges. However, the fact that you had trouble with the club, wrote honest reviews, and gave it your best shot is a testament to what makes this site so great and useful. We all know that no one club is going to be right for everyone, and while this one proves to be good for many, it is no exception. The fact that you could post honest feedback (and that is what Cleveland wanted) is awesome, and a great service to the club-buying public.

Great post Bridges, sorry the club could not work for you. but kudos to you for the effort you put in to your test and review.

Back