Cleveland Smart Sole Full-Face Wedges

My LH 64 degree Smart Sole Full Face Wedge came in today, which was much quicker than expected. I ordered it with the graphite shaft, and have hit a few shots into a simulator so far and am very impressed. Looking forward to giving this club a good workout soon ...

Mike
MPM1960

Smart sole lob was simply brilliant today. I missed my fair share of greens, used the lob 5 times, got up and down every time.Furthest from the pin I was on the pitch was 9'

Smart sole lob was simply brilliant today. I missed my fair share of greens, used the lob 5 times, got up and down every time.Furthest from the pin I was on the pitch was 9'
Love to hear that.

Love to hear that.
I'm one of those old school people who will use any of a number of clubs in chipping/pitching 60 yards and in, depending upon pin placement, green elevation and contour, etc etc. The fact that I found myself playing the smart sole for more than just hitting lobs over bunkers to tight pins speaks volumes as to my quickly gaining confidence in it because it is so easy to hit. The spin off the club even on chips is amazing, and predictable. Just what my game needed.......

I'm one of those old school people who will use any of a number of clubs in chipping/pitching 60 yards and in, depending upon pin placement, green elevation and contour, etc etc. The fact that I found myself playing the smart sole for more than just hitting lobs over bunkers to tight pins speaks volumes as to my quickly gaining confidence in it because it is so easy to hit. The spin off the club even on chips is amazing, and predictable. Just what my game needed.......
I think I'm going to open up a spot in my bag this year for something like this. Maybe widen a gap that I don't really need as much precision in.

I think I'm going to open up a spot in my bag this year for something like this. Maybe widen a gap that I don't really need as much precision in.
Whether it is a chipper or this lob wedge, I’m really thinking about doing the same. Do I really need 15 yard gaps past 200 yds when my rate of getting a decent strike isn’t exactly stellar?

Whether it is a chipper or this lob wedge, I’m really thinking about doing the same. Do I really need 15 yard gaps past 200 yds when my rate of getting a decent strike isn’t exactly stellar?
Yea, I'd go even further and just say anything over 180 I'm just hoping it goes in the right direction. I'm not hitting numbers lol.

I have already made up my mind, I'm all in. I'll be dropping various clubs at the top depending upon the venue. Most of the time either my driver or Burner Mini will stay home. Carrying them both is a bit of a luxury. I was toying with dropping the 6I /6H spot ( 184carry) and just choking down on the 9 wood, but I just wasn't getting consistent enough carry plus roll out numbers. As I think of this my best option may be to drop the beloved 17.5⁰ G425 5 wood because my odds of needing it for anything other than laying up on a par 5 are slim. And I can hit the 7 wood out of worse lies than the "5".

The new “C” is super solid. I have used it for several rounds and have it dialed in for what I want. Hit 2 to tap in range today and sank one from about 30 yards yesterday.

The new “C” is super solid. I have used it for several rounds and have it dialed in for what I want. Hit 2 to tap in range today and sank one from about 30 yards yesterday.
That’s awesome. Remind me, did you play the previous version?

That’s awesome. Remind me, did you play the previous version?
I did. This version is a little more friendly and it definitely has more zip on the ball.

I did. This version is a little more friendly and it definitely has more zip on the ball.
Yeah I quite like the shaping of the C. In all honesty I usually have an extra spot in the bag, there are definitely some courses where I could see this coming in handy.

Holed out twice today, once on an under 20 yard pitch and an 11 yard undulating downhill chip with the SS Lob. The chip was awesome because I could carry it the first 20' and eliminate a double break and only worry about the last break. Ball (BStone RXS) came down with a good, predictable amount of spin and rolled right in. Even of it didnt hit the hole it would have only been a foot or so past.

Holed out twice today, once on an under 20 yard pitch and an 11 yard undulating downhill chip with the SS Lob. The chip was awesome because I could carry it the first 20' and eliminate a double break and only worry about the last break. Ball (BStone RXS) came down with a good, predictable amount of spin and rolled right in. Even of it didnt hit the hole it would have only been a foot or so past.
Twice! Dude that awesome.

Oh yea. Makes you wanna miss greens on purpose.

Well, maybe not. ;)
I don’t have to try very hard for that. Some might say I do it on purpose.

Thinking of upgrading my smart sole C dark for the new model this week. The old one must know what I’m up to. I played my first rd of 2024 yesterday 9 holes and lipped out a chip and chipped another to within 2’ with the old one for par saves. Always works like that lol

Thinking of upgrading my smart sole C dark for the new model this week. The old one must know what I’m up to. I played my first rd of 2024 yesterday 9 holes and lipped out a chip and chipped another to within 2’ with the old one for par saves. Always works like that lol
I was a little hesitant because I really like the 4 version. I think you will like the full face. Give it a little time to adjust.

I was a little hesitant because I really like the 4 version. I think you will like the full face. Give it a little time to adjust.

Oh I know it will work. I tried it at golf galaxy and chipped 2 in and had tap ins on all but 1 ball from about 30’ away lol.

I’m in limbo on what to do with my bag this year so trying to allocate budget lol

Yesterday outdoors I used the SS Lob for the first time on a real course. It was fantastic. I even used it out of a very firm bunker with excellent results. The beauty of it (although I cant find the specs) is that is is lowish bounce and squared up works great out of tight lies, unlike taking a 58/60 lob wedge and opening it up, raising the leading edge into the skull zone. Yet unlike a low bounce lob, because of the wide sole, it still works great on soggy ground such as we had yesterday without chunking or digging. Heck, if they made this in a 58*, I might seriously consider it as well, because there will be very little call to open it up with the 64* in the bag.......

Today at the sim round I was missing a lot of greens but hitting pitches and chips inside the 8' gimme range one after the other. Went one streak of 5 holes in a row not touching my putter. (not saying a lot for my approach shots LOL) One of my buddies, who is a very good player just had to try it. He was sold...... I bet he has it ordered it already from Carls. LOL

I know some may scoff, but this design is brilliant, and the SS Lob will fit in many, many bags if guys can get past their egos or worrying about appearances and give it a shot.

The S wedge is a 58*

I think ultimately this is what is going to get my 14th spot. I don’t need more than 12 or 13 clubs for gaps at the top end. Once I’m over 180 I just hit my heavenwood. If I have a club that I’m comfortable chipping 20-40 yards I think that will be super valuable to my game.

Back