Cleveland Smart Sole Full-Face Wedges

2 guys I play with every week have gotten the SS FF Lob because they were tired of me victimizing them with mine and wanted to equalize the arms race.

My son may even become a convert after he hit a horrendous double cross and was on the next tee, big tree between him and the green, bunker guarding the green from coming in low. I gave him the SS FF Lob and told him to hit it hard. He lofted it straight up over the tree he never would have gotten his 58* Raw RTX over, and came down behind the pin, spun back a few yards and left him 8 or 9 feet to save par. Next hole, a par 5, pin tucked right behind a nasty , deep bunker. I laid up to 54 yards (laser), hit my approach 15 yards past the pin into the well sloped green. Club and Srixon Z Star XV did their part and the ball came zipping back down the hill to 6'. Of course I 2 putted. LOL
This club saves enough strokes any club dropped to make room wont be terribly missed.
That’s good to hear. I’m kicking around loosing a top of bag club as the gapping just isn’t there. Not sure what to add but the L for the course I play a lot with turtleback greens has my attention

That’s good to hear. I’m kicking around loosing a top of bag club as the gapping just isn’t there. Not sure what to add but the L for the course I play a lot with turtleback greens has my attention
This is exactly what I want to do this year. Drop one longer club and add the L. I realistically use a fairway wood maybe 1-2 times a round, and it probably does me more hard than good.

This is exactly what I want to do this year. Drop one longer club and add the L. I realistically use a fairway wood maybe 1-2 times a round, and it probably does me more hard than good.
I’m not sure a 64 doesn’t do more harm than good either but it sounds fun to try!

I added the Smart Sole Lob Wedge to my bag for my late-February/early-March golf trip to Orlando, FL. I ended up choosing to take my 4 hybrid out of the bag to accommodate the LW and it worked great for me.

Retired and 68. High handicap. Looking at new smart sole chipper and lob. have now three older smart soles but also cbx 52,56 and 60 as back up. Have tri hot putter. Have 2,3,4 hybrids and 5 -9 irons as well as halo driver, 5 wood and 7 woods. Have hit the hybrids well and 5 wood not so well. Buy smart soles or buy more hybrids? What to drop? What next after first purchase?

Retired and 68. High handicap. Looking at new smart sole chipper and lob. have now three older smart soles but also cbx 52,56 and 60 as back up. Have tri hot putter. Have 2,3,4 hybrids and 5 -9 irons as well as halo driver, 5 wood and 7 woods. Have hit the hybrids well and 5 wood not so well. Buy smart soles or buy more hybrids? What to drop? What next after first purchase?
Sounds like dropping the 5 wood based on your description

Yesterday afternoon I was sitting out in my shop, watching the end of the PGA tournament coverage and enjoying a good cigar and cocktail while eyeing my new SSFF C and S wedges propped against the wall and, somehow, ended up ordering the new SSFF 64* Lob wedge from Amazon. I guess it seemed like the right thing to do at the time...

Had a chip it eagle from 10 yards off the green today With my C. Loving this new model.

I had my first 18 round with my Cleveland Smart Sole Full Face C chipper, S sand wedge, L lob wedge and Cleveland Zipcore XL 7-GW (GW+2*) irons today. The SSFF wedges performed as advertised. Once I adjusted to how to hit them, they have earned their place in the bag. The lob wedge, specifically, is incredible! These are amazing!

I had my first 18 round with my Cleveland Smart Sole Full Face C chipper, S sand wedge, L lob wedge and Cleveland Zipcore XL 7-GW (GW+2*) irons today. The SSFF wedges performed as advertised. Once I adjusted to how to hit them, they have earned their place in the bag. The lob wedge, specifically, is incredible! These are amazing!

What kinda shots are you using the 64* for ?

What kinda shots are you using the 64* for ?
Being the first and only round I've played with it (and the other new irons and wedges), I tried it out of the sand once, a couple of times over greenside bunkers and several 10-40? yard chips off good lies around the greens and once off a tight lie. It is very easy to hit, just a simple, smooth stroke, the low bounce and sole size/shape really do their jobs. I didn't have a single thin hit or skull with it.

I haven't had my old 60* Vokey in my bag for a long time because it wasn't very reliable for me, the 64 L wedge seems a lot more reliable and easier to hit. I look forward to trying it in different situations going forward.

To be honest, I don't know if the 58* S wedge can do anything the lob wedge can't, within the narrow limits of how far you can hit them, so I don't know yet if it is worth carrying both or not? Time will tell.

Being the first and only round I've played with it (and the other new irons and wedges), I tried it out of the sand once, a couple of times over greenside bunkers and several 10-40? yard chips off good lies around the greens and once off a tight lie. It is very easy to hit, just a simple, smooth stroke, the low bounce and sole size/shape really do their jobs. I didn't have a single thin hit or skull with it.

I haven't had my old 60* Vokey in my bag for a long time because it wasn't very reliable for me, the 64 L wedge seems a lot more reliable and easier to hit. I look forward to trying it in different situations going forward.

To be honest, I don't know if the 58* S wedge can do anything the lob wedge can't, within the narrow limits of how far you can hit them, so I don't know yet if it is worth carrying both or not? Time will tell.
It will be interesting to see if the 58 and 64 differentiate themselves for you over your time. Looking forward to following that one as the 64 is curious to me.

It’s sounds like you owe it to yourself to try. When you don’t use the 5 wood, what club do you pull and what’s the miss with that club?

I use a lot of clubs depending on situation!

At my lowest handicap of around 5, the smart sole rarely came out of the bag. It just makes the short game easier, and is so versatile for everything I need that it makes sense for me in that 58* spot. I’m quite intrigued by the 64*

Yeah, contact issues both fat and thin!

Sorry for the late replies…tax season so been busy.

I have some some late Saturday evening out going to chipping area and seeing some improvement. Need to transition to a round but any tech that makes things easier I am all for!

I changed around the top of my bag to accommodate the Smart Sole lob. Now the results of that have me rethinking the entire lineup, 6H to 5W. Unfortunately the Burner Mini was the first club to go, only being hit a few times per round and more of a luxury than a necessity. Smart Sole lob has won a permanent spot even though I bought it just for yuks to play with on the pitch and putt. I don't see me even NOT having one in the bag. One will be going in the cottage bag when I start playing back up there soon.

I changed around the top of my bag to accommodate the Smart Sole lob. Now the results of that have me rethinking the entire lineup, 6H to 5W. Unfortunately the Burner Mini was the first club to go, only being hit a few times per round and more of a luxury than a necessity. Smart Sole lob has won a permanent spot even though I bought it just for yuks to play with on the pitch and putt. I don't see me even NOT having one in the bag. One will be going in the cottage bag when I start playing back up there soon.
The SSFF L lob wedge will change many minds about how easy it can be to hit a 64* wedge and how many situations for which it can be used effectively.

The SSFF L lob wedge will change many minds about how easy it can be to hit a 64* wedge and how many situations for which it can be used effectively.
Where all can you use it?

Where all can you use it?
I have used it out to a bit past 70 yards, but tend to keep it around 50 yards at most unless I can throw it past the pin and am OK with the ball spinning back hard. It is great out of the firm bunkers and around the elevated greens on the courses I frequent. Really good spin out of the rough as well. With a sole that won't dig despite its lower bounce, this club is great off of tight, even bare lies.

I have used it out to a bit past 70 yards, but tend to keep it around 50 yards at most unless I can throw it past the pin and am OK with the ball spinning back hard. It is great out of the firm bunkers and around the elevated greens on the courses I frequent. Really good spin out of the rough as well. With a sole that won't dig despite its lower bounce, this club is great off of tight, even bare lies.
This description is apt for the course I play the most, making me curious on it.

Have you had a chance to differentiate the 58 vs 64 yet? Early thoughts on carrying both?

Back