Cycling

We started carrying some Kask helmets a few months ago, and they have been selling quite well. Today, I stopped by the shop on my way home from work with a package from Kask for me to try out on some of our big rides we have coming up and to "show off" the brand.

Both are the Kask Vertigo;

Red/Black
vertigo-bred-L.jpg
This looks awesome! Although I'd like it with out the stickers!

MSRP $299.95.

That's a lot of coinage!!!

3.47 in 18:02 on my crappy mountain bike, good easy morning ride.

War I was looking at road bikes last night and every bike I found that had 105 components on it were "race" bikes. I am not looking for the ultra lite bikes a little heavier is fine for the fitness rides I want to do but I want good components with out shelling out $1200-$1500 minimum.

I'm good with last years model or even a steel/aluminum frame. But most of the bikes less than a G have sora or maybe tiagra components.

105 will definitely be more durable and trouble free than the lesser Shimano components, IMO worth the upgrade. 105 is almost the same mechanically as the Ultegra and Dura Ace components, the main difference being is the Ultegra is about 8 oz. lighter than 105 and Dura Ace is lighter still. You should be able to find a good aluminum bike with 105 components for about $1,000. I think a Fuji Roubaix 1.3 retails for about $1,300 but can be had for a G or less on sale.

Just got back from a quick 13 mile ride in the cool rainy breeze, damn I love my specialized

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Are the sora components better than the 105's?

Really no comparison between Sora and 105. 105 is pretty much the lowest level that you can go and not be wanting to replace your entire component group within the first month. My very first road bike was a Trek 1000 with Sora and a triple. Unbelievably terrible setup, impossible to keep adjusted. I was into a new frame with Ultegra within about 6 months. If you're relatively sure you're going to ride regularly, you'll be happy you paid a little more and got 105.

105 will definitely be more durable and trouble free than the lesser Shimano components, IMO worth the upgrade. 105 is almost the same mechanically as the Ultegra and Dura Ace components, the main difference being is the Ultegra is about 8 oz. lighter than 105 and Dura Ace is lighter still. You should be able to find a good aluminum bike with 105 components for about $1,000. I think a Fuji Roubaix 1.3 retails for about $1,300 but can be had for a G or less on sale.

I think 105 is OK (I have it on my cross bike), but you can definitely tell the difference between it and DA or even Ultegra. Once you've ridden top end groups for a while, it's hard to go back. I've been mostly SRAM on my road stuff the last several years and I love it, but I've always been a DA/Ultegra fan too. My wife has Campy on her Pinarello and it's lame.

So, I haven't owned a bike since I turned 16. I recently started riding with my girlfriends brother, to rehab a torn hamstring, on one of his old bikes. Got bit by the bug I decided I wanted something of my own and the right size. Being on a budget I had to shop around after my local shop fit me.

My new CAAD9 6, got a really great deal.
yjy5a9eq.jpg

Special thanks to War for answering all my PMs this past week, really appreciate all the help.

I liked it dude, it's a great bike. Will serve you well for what you are doing.

Always happy to help.

Nice ride! The CAAD frames are hard to go wrong with. They're so affordable now, too, which is great. Some really good deals to be had on them. Enjoy, but pull those reflectors off the wheels before you take any more pics! :D

Lol, funny you said that. I dropped it off at my local shop to have tuned up. The guy behind the counter says, "we're going to take those reflectors off too, right?"

Too funny.

Lol, funny you said that. I dropped it off at my local shop to have tuned up. The guy behind the counter says, "we're going to take those reflectors off too, right?"

Too funny.
Haha. WHen I am helping our Mechanics do some service, if I know the customer well, I will slap some reflectors on there just to see if they notice.

MSRP $299.95

Which is the reason I have never had one.

But... they are selling great. A lot of people swear by them.

Sweet helmet $299 is steep though, I have a Lazer O2 and love it for the price point.

I went over 20 miles today for the first time. I'm not a cyclist nor am I in any shape to call myself one lol. I ride for rehab and enjoyment, I said I'd never see myself being in the saddle for hours at a time.

My daily ride is 18 miles, today I hit my usual turn around spot and decided to keep going another 6 to a friends house. 30 miles total but did have a break at my buddies.

I can see my rides getting longer as I get in better shape and endurance built up. Finding a good cadence and changing gears to keep that cadence has been the biggest thing to learn for me. I used to just peddle faster or slower, gears are awesome lol.

I went over 20 miles today for the first time. I'm not a cyclist nor am I in any shape to call myself one lol. I ride for rehab and enjoyment, I said I'd never see myself being in the saddle for hours at a time.

My daily ride is 18 miles, today I hit my usual turn around spot and decided to keep going another 6 to a friends house. 30 miles total but did have a break at my buddies.

I can see my rides getting longer as I get in better shape and endurance built up. Finding a good cadence and changing gears to keep that cadence has been the biggest thing to learn for me. I used to just peddle faster or slower, gears are awesome lol.
Yesss!! Nice dude! 30 miles is a great ride! Way to get after it!

Are you using any apps, such as Strava or MapMyRide?

Something came loose with the rear brake line on my daughter's bike. I might need to post up a picture if I can't figure out what the issue is.

Something came loose with the rear brake line on my daughter's bike. I might need to post up a picture if I can't figure out what the issue is.

Post a pic, I can probably tell you what the issue is.

Post a pic, I can probably tell you what the issue is.

Will do. It may be tomorrow as I may get home kind of late. Maybe I will text you with my fancy new phone.

Thanks buddy, my legs are going to hurt tomorrow but it was a fun ride.

No apps, just the computer on the bike. When it was at the shop I had them put on the cheapest wireless one they had.

Great job on the ride! The farther you go, the more addicting it gets. Don't be surprised if you find yourself setting some goals in the future. First you'll do a metric, then you'll decide to tackle a century and on and on. It's about the healthiest disease I've ever had, though. War Eagle brought up a good question. If you have a smart phone, Map My Ride or Strava are extremely beneficial and will help you get more out of your rehab/training. I've been using Map My Ride for a couple of years and really like the data I get out of it. I've heard good things about Strava from friends that use it as well. Check them out, you'll like it. Even if you don't have a phone that can run the app, you can enter your rides online (Map My Ride is free unless you want to upgrade and lose the ads). Anyway, congrats again on the ride and enjoy that time in the saddle!

I just downloaded Strava, I'll try it out on tomorrows ride.

Where are you at in MN? I pretty much have a bike shop in my garage. Brakes are usually pretty easy to set up.

I am in Bemidji. I was able to fix the issue. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I had some training today for our EMS bike team as we are getting ready for an event at the end of the month.

We did some obstacle course work, a decent road ride and some hills and stairs work. The stairs and hills were fun although I did not care for climbing the hills much. I do love going down stairs as its so much fun and not really that hard.

I had some training today for our EMS bike team as we are getting ready for an event at the end of the month.

We did some obstacle course work, a decent road ride and some hills and stairs work. The stairs and hills were fun although I did not care for climbing the hills much. I do love going down stairs as its so much fun and not really that hard.
What kind of inclines were you looking at?

Back