Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need irons and wedges badly. Maybe I'll go do some testing tomorrow.

Sent from my operating system using thumbs 2.0

It's so exciting when you're on the verge of dropping some serious coinage on some new equipment. Let us know what you demo and how you like it!

Was in a Golfsmith today and noticed the Mizuno MP-T11 wedges. I have read about them on here and was interested in seeing them. They had the regular chrome ones with the DG spinners and some black ones. I guess it is a black oxide type finish. They looked sick, but they didn't have the spinner shafts. If I can find some of the black ones with the spinner, I may get one to try out. I really like the feel when I was swinging them in the store. They feel like they are weighted perfectly. I have been wanting to try the spinner shafts, but don't see a point in putting them in non conforming wedges.

Im pretty sure if they didnt have the DG Spinner then it was the MP-T10 from last year. All the 11's have the Spinners in them.

You are probably right. Any verification that Mizuno is still making the black oxide available in the 11's?

Damn. The ones I saw today looked really good in black oxide. I may go back tomorrow and investigate further. May go ahead and get the chrome 11 in 56.

Yeah, they are definitely the 10s. The company decided not to do the dark black for the 11 line and keep it to two finishes only I believe.

Was excited to see the 11s in my local store a few weeks ago, but not so excited to see that, apparently, we Euros get them without the spinner shafts too.

Think I've finally sorted out the priority list, and topped it with a new driver. I could persevere with my existing one, but there are just so many good offerings this year (at a good price), that I think I need to go for it. I may be confused by a loaner R9 TP coming from a friendly local pro though - that's the wildcard pick!

So far, my thoughts are between -

Nike Machspeed black (best I've tried so far this year)
Cleveland Ultralight (yet to find one, but I'd like to try it)
Srixon Z-Star (again, can't find one to hit yet)
Callaway Octane/Razr Hawk (demo day at my local range at the start of March)

Really won't buy without trying, so I'm thinking that it's going to be between the Nike and a Callaway offering (if it fits).

Was excited to see the 11s in my local store a few weeks ago, but not so excited to see that, apparently, we Euros get them without the spinner shafts too.

Think I've finally sorted out the priority list, and topped it with a new driver. I could persevere with my existing one, but there are just so many good offerings this year (at a good price), that I think I need to go for it. I may be confused by a loaner R9 TP coming from a friendly local pro though - that's the wildcard pick!

So far, my thoughts are between -

Nike Machspeed black (best I've tried so far this year)
Cleveland Ultralight (yet to find one, but I'd like to try it)
Srixon Z-Star (again, can't find one to hit yet)
Callaway Octane/Razr Hawk (demo day at my local range at the start of March)

Really won't buy without trying, so I'm thinking that it's going to be between the Nike and a Callaway offering (if it fits).

Its extremely possible that you have not found the Cleveland or Srixon because they have not been released yet. In fact come this week in the US, and most likely shortly after that over there.

Its extremely possible that you have not found the Cleveland or Srixon because they have not been released yet. In fact come this week in the US, and most likely shortly after that over there.

You might well be on to something there! My impatience knows no bounds. A novel thought might be to ask my local stockists, but then that would prove all too easy and I couldn't rant about it!

So after a phone call to a contact with a contact who has good contacts.....

I can get a loaner demo of the Razr Hawk, Cleveland and Srixon drivers at the end of March. Question is, can I hold out that long? :D

The Clevelands haven't been released yet in the US? We have had the new cleveland line in Golftown now for almost 2 weeks, and we never get things before the US.

The Clevelands haven't been released yet in the US? We have had the new cleveland line in Golftown now for almost 2 weeks, and we never get things before the US.

They are currently being released as we speak.

They are currently being released as we speak.

Thats crazy we never get stuff before the US. Cleveland showing a little Canadian love maybe, plus they know that know one can really hit them here outdoors so why not throw us a bone. I have to say the SL 290 feels amazing and I can't wait to hit it at the outing on a real range.

Yeah, they are definitely the 10s. The company decided not to do the dark black for the 11 line and keep it to two finishes only I believe.

Bummer...the black ones look really good. Thanks for the info thought JB!

Bummer...the black ones look really good. Thanks for the info thought JB!

The black did look very good. They were a wedge geared towards rusting and a raw type of finish.

A shout out to those pondering the MP T-11s. I have grown very fond of them since OEMing them in the fall. I went with the nickel finish and they look great, without any glare issues.

The last 3 rounds I've played with them, I don't remember a "bad" wedge shot, and several really nice results. The heavy head and minimum bounce is working for me, and the DG Spinner shaft imparts a smooth sensation through the swing.

you're welcome! I accept paypal for the referral fee...lol glad to hear that they're working for you man! The balance of a slightly heavier head combined with the shaft really helps keep the head moving through the shot. Really helped out my chipping
A shout out to those pondering the MP T-11s. I have grown very fond of them since OEMing them in the fall. I went with the nickel finish and they look great, without any glare issues.

The last 3 rounds I've played with them, I don't remember a "bad" wedge shot, and several really nice results. The heavy head and minimum bounce is working for me, and the DG Spinner shaft imparts a smooth sensation through the swing.

I'm pondering new grips for my irons..... any suggestions? Currently looking at the New Decades and when they are available, the new VDRs. Any thoughts? I'm looking for something with good traction and some shock absorbtion.

Shock Absorbing to me comes from a softer grip not a harder grip. I find New Decades to be quite hard.

you're welcome! I accept paypal for the referral fee...lol glad to hear that they're working for you man! The balance of a slightly heavier head combined with the shaft really helps keep the head moving through the shot. Really helped out my chipping

How about time hitting the new TM MCs and/or S3s and call it even?

Shock Absorbing to me comes from a softer grip not a harder grip. I find New Decades to be quite hard.

Suggestions? How are the Winn grips for that?you use the PCI grips right? Any Golf Pride ones? Tour Velvet maybe? Have you seen the VDRs yet?

Suggestions? How are the Winn grips for that?you use the PCI grips right? Any Golf Pride ones? Tour Velvet maybe? Have you seen the VDRs yet?

I am using the PCI grips on my latest irons for testing. I like Winn grips because they are soft. The only way to find a grip for you is to go into a store and feel them all.

I'm pondering new grips for my irons..... any suggestions? Currently looking at the New Decades and when they are available, the new VDRs. Any thoughts? I'm looking for something with good traction and some shock absorbtion.

I'm a sucker fo winn dsi grips. Super soft and cushy, got to replace them every year though, they literally flatten and get thinner after a year. Its like that old pillow that never fluffs up again.

Anybody have any experience with Grip Master's Putter Grips? Really nice looking grips, the website gives you a whole noah's ark of animals they'll kill and skin and put on a putter for you. I've seen them around but never had the courage to walk up to a complete stranger and ask to touch the leather.

I cant stand them for putter grips. I know a lot of people love them, but I dont like feeling stitching on my hands during putting.

I've played the pci's. They're a fantastic grip. I've been currently using the all white lamkin 3gens. Amazing grips, they get dirty quick though.

Sent from my operating system using thumbs 2.0

I am using the PCI grips on my latest irons for testing. I like Winn grips because they are soft. The only way to find a grip for you is to go into a store and feel them all.

I've been doing that, but haven't really come across any that jump out at me. Haven't looked to closely at the Winns though, not a huge fan, but I'll look again at them. What was the softest from the Black Widow line, it's the Edge right?

I know grips aren't overly expensive, but I don't want to re-grip my set just to have to do it over again because I end not liking something. Can you really know a grip is right by just getting one club done first?

I've been doing that, but haven't really come across any that jump out at me. Haven't looked to closely at the Winns though, not a huge fan, but I'll look again at them. What was the softest from the Black Widow line, it's the Edge right?

I know grips aren't overly expensive, but I don't want to re-grip my set just to have to do it over again because I end not liking something. Can you really know a grip is right by just getting one club done first?

You will know if a grip works when you pick it up in the store. I didnt find any of the Black Widow line that soft, but I prefer a wrap style grip like many of the Winn grips and the Pure grips.

You will know if a grip works when you pick it up in the store. I didnt find any of the Black Widow line that soft, but I prefer a wrap style grip like many of the Winn grips and the Pure grips.

Not a fan of wraps and that's why I usually don't look at the Winn line. So even if a grip is just on a shaft stub it'll be good. So just generally soft grips are better for shock absorbtion? Are there some that cross the line, ie I little firmer, but still good for shocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back