Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
should be able to find one really cheap! i love that putter for some reason. the stock grip sucks.

Yup, found a couple for cheap. But one has a big winn grip on it, trying to see if they will change it for me..

Here Is a list I have going for right now
Ping Karsten
Ping iN Anser 2
Odyssey black #9 and #1
Titleist ( I think its the sante fe model that I want)
Nike BC101
Nike IC
Wilson staff 8861
Mizuno/bettinardi BC 1
TM daytona (standard model w/insert)
Cleveland Classic 4
Cleveland Classic 1 BRZ
Machine
Bettinardi BB1
SeeMore

and probably a few more. Trying to get 1-2 from each company

Yup, found a couple for cheap. But one has a big winn grip on it, trying to see if they will change it for me..

Here Is a list I have going for right now
Ping Karsten
Ping iN Anser 2
Odyssey black #9 and #1
Titleist ( I think its the sante fe model that I want)
Nike BC101
Nike IC
Wilson staff 8861
Mizuno/bettinardi BC 1
TM daytona (standard model w/insert)
Cleveland Classic 4
Cleveland Classic 1 BRZ
Machine
Bettinardi BB1
SeeMore

and probably a few more. Trying to get 1-2 from each company

Bridges,
Can I ask why you are choosing to go this route rather than custom putter routes? You dont see a whole lot of collections with older OEM putters. Not knocking it, just curious. I ask because I am one of the few that goes the OEM route only because that is what is sent to us. But also have about 20 custom our limited putters.

If you want to go with standard OTR models and are interested in going after companies (2 of each), the less popular are cheaper. And of course if you go back 36 months or so, they can get very cheap.

Bridges,
Can I ask why you are choosing to go this route rather than custom putter routes? You dont see a whole lot of collections with older OEM putters. Not knocking it, just curious. I ask because I am one of the few that goes the OEM route only because that is what is sent to us. But also have about 20 custom our limited putters.

If you want to go with standard OTR models and are interested in going after companies (2 of each), the less popular are cheaper. And of course if you go back 36 months or so, they can get very cheap.

I really like the blade styles of those putters, its what really gets my attention. Id really like to get that style of putter from each company and it really doesnt matter to me when they came out, old or new is fine. Some colors have to do with it to, for instance that Cleveland classic 4 has a red grip and also has that real I guess glossy or chrome look to the bottom with red on it as well as some on the back. I really like the name of the companys in the back of the putter like you see on the blade style. I do however plan on getting a few custom putters later on. Im just going with this type of style for now not only for looks and what is appealing to me but it fits my budget nicely because as you said I can find many of these for cheap. Then later on I can spend the money a nicer bettinardi, lajosi, machine, etc..

Also for some reason im real big on it being original. I like the grip and headcover to be close to original on these OEM putters. If I find one I like I always make sure it has the headcover that matches and make sure that the grip is not changed and if it is, I see if they can change it back to an original or get pretty close to it.

For example this just happened. I was looking for cleveland putters and came across the classic 4 and really like how it had that red in the putter then I saw that the headcover was the original red color as was the red grip and I was sold on it lol

Picked up a mint set of these beauties today. Read and heard alot of great reviews about these well kept secret gems and couldn't resist for a song.

tfiron.jpg
e0_32.JPG

Jb do you find it odd that im going this route instead of the custom putters or what? just curious of what your thinking was behind my choices lol

Jb do you find it odd that im going this route instead of the custom putters or what? just curious of what your thinking was behind my choices lol

My thinking? Just my opinion, go with what you would like. The goal behind any "collection" of anything is to get things that you personally would like.

My thinking? Just my opinion, go with what you would like. The goal behind any "collection" of anything is to get things that you personally would like.

Well i ment thinking/opinion just basically your thoughts on it, I was just curious.

But thats what Im going for. Found a good deal on cleveland classic 4 for $60 new and on a Mizuno Bettinardi BC 1 for $100 new. Only thing with the Bettinardi is that its 34'' but i figured since its for a collection and for a heck of a price I could add an inch later on if I decided to actually use it.

Well i ment thinking/opinion just basically your thoughts on it, I was just curious.

But thats what Im going for. Found a good deal on cleveland classic 4 for $60 new and on a Mizuno Bettinardi BC 1 for $100 new. Only thing with the Bettinardi is that its 34'' but i figured since its for a collection and for a heck of a price I could add an inch later on if I decided to actually use it.

Couple of things.

Cleveland Classics are always about that price. Heck they are barely over that price brand new in a store. You can find them used in great shape for in the $40 range quite easily. The Mizuno Bettinardi is another one that you can find for very little compared to retail. Just not loved by a lot of people unfortunately.

As for my thoughts. When it comes to putters, they are personal. But if you were asking what I would do? No, I would not be OEM putters just to have companies. In fact putters are one of the few things that I would not even look at companies. I would take having 1 putter that was designed for me, or customized for me, or worth something based on materials used etc... than 10 OTR OEM putters. But that is just my opinion. For example, if I was going for a "collection", I would only want Private Reserve Seemores, Numbered Putters, Custom Stamped Designs, Custom Putters, etc...

Couple of things.

Cleveland Classics are always about that price. Heck they are barely over that price brand new in a store. You can find them used in great shape for in the $40 range quite easily. The Mizuno Bettinardi is another one that you can find for very little compared to retail. Just not loved by a lot of people unfortunately.

As for my thoughts. When it comes to putters, they are personal. But if you were asking what I would do? No, I would not be OEM putters just to have companies. In fact putters are one of the few things that I would not even look at companies. I would take having 1 putter that was designed for me, or customized for me, or worth something based on materials used etc... than 10 OTR OEM putters. But that is just my opinion. For example, if I was going for a "collection", I would only want Private Reserve Seemores, Numbered Putters, Custom Stamped Designs, Custom Putters, etc...

I saw the classic on ebay for $60 new but no luck finding cheaper in stores so far. Those mizuno bettinardi's are real tough to find and I found that one on ebay also at a little over $100 and the price tag on it says $270.00 so I figured I could not beat that.

One of these days I plan on getting a few customs done but for right now just kind of want 1-2 from most of the companies and I can find them cheap so it fits the budget and I really like the ones I listed a lot. One day when I get a few more dollars saved up I will get a few customs like your talking about.

I saw the classic on ebay for $60 new but no luck finding cheaper in stores so far. Those mizuno bettinardi's are real tough to find and I found that one on ebay also at a little over $100 and the price tag on it says $270.00 so I figured I could not beat that.

One of these days I plan on getting a few customs done but for right now just kind of want 1-2 from most of the companies and I can find them cheap so it fits the budget and I really like the ones I listed a lot. One day when I get a few more dollars saved up I will get a few customs like your talking about.

Whatever works for you is the most important thing. I guess for me, when I think collection, I think putters that are different or high end. But again, that is just me. As for the Bettinardi. Sure that may have been the price on it when they came out and Bob was still attached to Mizzie. But not anywhere near that now ($270 that is)

Whatever works for you is the most important thing. I guess for me, when I think collection, I think putters that are different or high end. But again, that is just me. As for the Bettinardi. Sure that may have been the price on it when they came out and Bob was still attached to Mizzie. But not anywhere near that now ($270 that is)

Ya after Jman and you told me that they were no longer together I had a feeling thats why it was priced a lot lower.

Ya after Jman and you told me that they were no longer together I had a feeling thats why it was priced a lot lower.

The Black Carbon one has been priced at 99$ for like ~2 months now.

The Black Carbon one has been priced at 99$ for like ~2 months now.

And what a price that is. A great putter for sure, and you can find them even cheaper than that at times. My personal opinion is that the current Bettinardi line is the best he has ever produced, but the BC Mizuno is a great putter as well.

Getting fitted at 4pm today, and should be ordering the R9s with tour KBS shafts shortly following! Heyo!

Glad to see you are pulling the trigger and deciding on a shaft for you. Let us know how it goes.

Does anyone play a G15/I15 combo set? Looking at how easy they flow together.

Really eyeballing a "backup" set of wedges to go into the closet until my CG15's are worn out.

With as good as Wilson Staff has been for my game I'll likely snag a 50, 54, and 60 before the end of the year.

But the XFT's intrigue me still.

Does anyone play a G15/I15 combo set? Looking at how easy they flow together.

I demo'd that exact set early on in the year. The question you have to ask yourself and I did to me, is why do the combo set with these irons. The offset in the G will only get the ball up higher for softer landings in the short irons. I wanted to like the setup, but just could not find a reason to do it.

Really eyeballing a "backup" set of wedges to go into the closet until my CG15's are worn out.

With as good as Wilson Staff has been for my game I'll likely snag a 50, 54, and 60 before the end of the year.

But the XFT's intrigue me still.

It's hard not to like them eh Jman? They have the look, they have the great reviews, and they are cheap to replace for new grooves!

It's hard not to like them eh Jman? They have the look, they have the great reviews, and they are cheap to replace for new grooves!

Big time.

Only hitches are I have one custom putter coming in and another going for a treatment. That and I'm in absolute love with my CG15's, I've never liked a wedge this much, ever.

Basically the putter ho in me is staying in the way LOL.

I demo'd that exact set early on in the year. The question you have to ask yourself and I did to me, is why do the combo set with these irons. The offset in the G will only get the ball up higher for softer landings in the short irons. I wanted to like the setup, but just could not find a reason to do it.

I just don't like the looks of the short irons. I'm thinking 4-7G/8-GWI. I am a pretty high ball hitter to begin with so I don't mind my short irons in the I series because I feel I can control the trajectory a little more. With the longer irons I just want them to be easy to hit and a high trajectory I think is beneficial for a softer landing with say a 4 iron. On a side note I continue to crush the MX-200's at the range. Was taking my time yesterday visualizing each shot and what I wanted to do and dang if I wasn't pulling each and every shot off. It's actually silly for me to be thinking anything but reshafting these irons and keeping them but I just keep thinking about the PIngs now.

I just don't like the looks of the short irons. I'm thinking 4-7G/8-GWI. I am a pretty high ball hitter to begin with so I don't mind my short irons in the I series because I feel I can control the trajectory a little more. With the longer irons I just want them to be easy to hit and a high trajectory I think is beneficial for a softer landing with say a 4 iron. On a side note I continue to crush the MX-200's at the range. Was taking my time yesterday visualizing each shot and what I wanted to do and dang if I wasn't pulling each and every shot off. It's actually silly for me to be thinking anything but reshafting these irons and keeping them but I just keep thinking about the PIngs now.

In my opinion there is no comparison between the two. I often wonder why if something is working well, we replace it. Or some replace it.

Big time.

Only hitches are I have one custom putter coming in and another going for a treatment. That and I'm in absolute love with my CG15's, I've never liked a wedge this much, ever.

Basically the putter ho in me is staying in the way LOL.

I don't blame you. I'm all but paid for on a set of irons, and I've avoided buying xft's on a number of occasions for that reason alone.

Soon enough haha

In my opinion there is no comparison between the two. I often wonder why if something is working well, we replace it. Or some replace it.

I do admit I'm an idiot. If I keep the 200's I'm going to go with the Aerotech Steel Fiber shafts which I've been dying to try. I need someone to talk me down off the Ping train!!

I do admit I'm an idiot. If I keep the 200's I'm going to go with the Aerotech Steel Fiber shafts which I've been dying to try. I need someone to talk me down off the Ping train!!

I am a firm believer in finding a set of irons that you are fit for and sticking with it. Getting the perfect shaft based on fitting and making sure length and lie are fine tuned.

Changing irons constantly never helps your game. I am living proof of that DEFINITELY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back