After great balance and good hand-eye coordination decent flexibility is in my opinion the most important physical asset for a golfer. Dynamic and static stretching are both good but the older you get the more careful you have to be with dynamic stretching. Swinging a heavy club is definitely dynamic stretching. Stretching is the one part of my exercise program I never skip.

That would make me zero for three.

I get most of my exercise jumping to conclusions. I did drive by a store that sells exercise apparel a few days ago. Does that count?

Two years ago at 135 I was determined to gain 15 lb's one way or another. I started drinking regular beer instead of lite. I can honestly say I've gained 17 lb's in that time and picked up at least 5 yards. My short game still sucks, because I have trouble seeing my ball, but I can finally get away with wearing a large belt buckle.

Time for new goal setting... I want to develope a new "Tommy Tippie Cup", I think I can relate. Will keep all in the know.

Went to the doctor couple weeks ago for follow up visit. My cholesterol level was down from 228 to 131, blood pressure was 160/70, A1C was 4.8, my BG levels are at normal, weight is at 167, and body mass index is right on target. Not bad for old 62 year old guy. My 4 days week in the gym are paying off big time.

My daughter is diabetic, has been since 9 years old. She's battled it all her life, even to the point that her KC doctors said she should never have children. Her body simple fought every thing we tried, until two years ago when we helped her get onto the pump. It was night and day different for her and I now have my first Grandbaby. Melissa is healthy as is Kashe, we are truly blessed.
Doc say's I'm next, lol. He's convinced I will be diagnosed with it within a year. How can they come up with that? Run's in the family, but...

Went to the doctor couple weeks ago for follow up visit. My cholesterol level was down from 228 to 131, blood pressure was 160/70, A1C was 4.8, my BG levels are at normal, weight is at 167, and body mass index is right on target. Not bad for old 62 year old guy. My 4 days week in the gym are paying off big time.

That's an awesome drop with the cholesterol!

And everybody else--keep up the good work(out)! You're all inspiring me. But now I feel bad about the McD's I just had. :embarrassed:

My cholestrol is about 400 last time I looked - medication doesn't help enough to make me want to put up with the side effects. Otherwise I am in great shape. Blood pressure perfect, fitness is good, eat whatever I want, just not too much. NO alcohol ever, no smoking, no chemicals on my lawn, no pesticides in my house, minimal household chemicals, no air fresheners, all that stuff is loaded with cancer causing molecules that I can literally live without. I will be 56 in October and up to about age 53 I was still training 4 days a week in a ring, boxing and wrestling, for an hour at a time, 100 pushups, 500 situps, 30 minutes of some kind of strenuous aerobic workout every other day, 30 minutes of stretching every day. I had a doctor tell me I was doing too much. Then he wanted to give me a pill for cholestrol and I said No thanks. I am not participating in that game. I walk 18 holes at least once a week and carry the bag. My waist is only 2 inches bigger today than it was when I was 25. If I live to 90 or not is of no concern to me if I am not still able to be active and do what I want. The most important thing about fitness is mental, get moving and don't stop, when you get tired rest but don't just lay around if you aren't tired. Get plenty of sleep, don't get stressed out about things you have no control over. Don't try to control others around you, that leads to frustration and will have a negative effect on your health. Don't eat too much. Simple really.

I like body-weight stuff personally, weights are for bulk and bulk is impractical in most arena's of life, unless you walk around in a speedo with a fake bake for you supper!

Cardio, stretching, then push-ups/pull-ups/band/circuit training etc. IMO I think it is funny how the "civilian" world is catching up to what the military has known for years! Basic PT and an all around approach to fitness is not only easier to do and more fun, but it and a proper diet keeps you looking pretty good!

There is a 73 yr old retired marine in my church that still runs 3+ miles a day (6x a week) along with some light body-weight stuff thrown in, hopefully that is me in 50+ years!

The goal of 165 was reached this morning. That's 27 pounds (14%) in just over 5-1/2 months. If I get to 155 (my weight 4-1/2 years ago) that will just be a bonus.

The goal of 165 was reached this morning. That's 27 pounds (14%) in just over 5-1/2 months. If I get to 155 (my weight 4-1/2 years ago) that will just be a bonus.

Congratulations Smallville! :bananadance: I thought this deserved a cool dancing banana to celebrate your milestone. Now....can you tell me your secret?

GG: Don't eat everything in sight! LOL That's pretty much it! And if you do eat stupid (like Christy's Tasty Queen food), just get a double instead of a triple and get the small malt instead of the large! hehe

I guess that means no more fried food and chocolate cake huh?? All kidding aside, that really is great you should be really proud of yourself.

Not "no more fried food." In fact I still go to McDonald's once in a while. I just don't leave miserable anymore. Same with buffets, unless it's bd's.

GG - If you followed Smallie's diet - you'd gain 27 lbs. He's a guy so he has an easier time losing weight. He did mention one key thing though - portion control.

After my surgery I dropped from 220 or so down to 198. Well my appetite came back after a couple months with a vengeance & right now i'm sitting at 233 or so, not bad considering i'm 6'2" with a decent build.

Anyways my work place is starting a biggest loser contest on oct 1st & is to run for 15 weeks. We have to pay $10 to start, $1 a week afterwards as well as penalites for either gaining weight or staying the same. The company is going to match the final amount with the winner getting 80% & the runner up the rest. I can easily lose weight & have done so numerous times, it's nothing to drop 25-30 lbs in less than 2 months.

I was thinking about pigging out for the next week+ & get up to 240 or so & then once the contest begins get down to 195-200. The contest is based on percentage of body weight lost & I could have a pretty good shot at winning this thing.

We should have a contest here, but it has to be a percentage of total weight, not pounds lost.

We should have a contest here, but it has to be a percentage of total weight, not pounds lost.

I'd be up for that. but how would we prove the amount lost? Maybe JB or GG could sweet talk a company into donating a nice outfit??

I'd be up for that. but how would we prove the amount lost?

The honor system? No one who says they hit 300 yards can participate.

I think C-Tech, Ty, GG and BBBD all said they wanted to lose weight. Smallie needs to lose 10 more pounds and Bonknhead and Halk are always dieting. I'm not sure about anyone else.

Oh, I'm always saying I want to drop 5-10 pounds, but I'm a Weight Watchers lifer and pretty good about staying on plan, so I've pretty much done it.

I hit the gym regularly but I don't walk around in a speedo or fake and bake like a previous poster said. I would like to get down to about 265 or so. I usually start with about half an hour on the treadmill and go from there to weights. Exercise is key in everything besides golf. I almost get sick looking at some kids today, my god, put down the Xbox and walk around the block or something.
I would do the fitness contest if they do it here, but I have no desire to get to anything less than my previously stated goal.

Good for you who have stuck to your programs and are loosing weight and gaining health.

The honor system? No one who says they hit 300 yards can participate.

PAH! Why can we not play too........:D JK!

My goal is to put on mass, drop body fat % and maybe lose half an inch of the waist.....can we still be in the contest for that though..........:confused2:?

Far as general health goes my goal has been to cut sugar, hard to do when Mt. Dew is so easily attainable.............:banghead:

I think C-Tech, Ty, GG and BBBD all said they wanted to lose weight. Smallie needs to lose 10 more pounds and Bonknhead and Halk are always dieting. I'm not sure about anyone else.

Eh, not always on a diet, but I do watch my carb intake. I haven't been to the gym or used my treadmill since the surgery, but strangely enough, my appetite has been suppressed. I lost 5 pounds from when I checked in for the surgery to when I was weighed on Thursday for my f/u appt with the surgeon.

I think I'll start using the home treadmill tomorrow or the next day. It'll be a while before I can get back on my favorite machine - the elliptical - because I can't use both arms yet.

It'll be a while before I can get back on my favorite machine - the elliptical - because I can't use both arms yet.

Right now I hate my ellipitcal, great machine but still fighting this dizziness crap. Everytime I get off that machine even if it's only been 5 minutes I want to pass out. I'm fine on the treadmill & stationary bike, but that elliptical does something to me which makes the dizziness much worse.

Back