Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

Up at 3:15 unable to sleep.....wonder why! Due to the club setup changing for me, I have already determined that I will need to pickup a new 50 degree wedge as well to cover the gap between the standard PW (47) and my SW (54). Was checking out the Pro VR wedges online and saw they had a 50 degree option even though it was not available at GolfSmith yesterday. Thinking that the PGA SS will carry it though.

Nice one Dan! I think you're doing the right thing in going with a shaft you know works for you, especially since you've got a direct comparison ready to go. I'm just trying to shake my pre-conceived ideas about what might suit me before my fitting session. Can't wait to lock my specs in!

Yeah I feel really good about it. I tried out a ton of shafts last year and found most all of them to be far too high launching in comparison to the TT DG line. I was really intrigued by the C-Taper shafts, but I doubt any local place would have them in stock to test, and I'm not about to throw them into a set of irons completely blind!

Good luck with your fitting buddy. Can't wait to hear what you select!

Here is a little video of my shaft fitting yesterday. Not sure that the VR Pro Combo irons will fix my swing, but hopefully they will tolerate my swing enough to work with me. :D

[youtube]a0ylBNhxqyE[/youtube]

Yeah I feel really good about it. I tried out a ton of shafts last year and found most all of them to be far too high launching in comparison to the TT DG line. I was really intrigued by the C-Taper shafts, but I doubt any local place would have them in stock to test, and I'm not about to throw them into a set of irons completely blind!

Good luck with your fitting buddy. Can't wait to hear what you select!

Looks like we have similiar tendencies... I would have gone the exact same specs too... X100 & 1* up... If you got Lamkin Crosslines with an extra wrap I'm going to be freaked out...

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Canadan!

Getting fitted tomorrow morning. I can't wait. I hit these at a Nike Demo Day last weekend so I have an idea of what I would like, but I want to get fitted to ensure I get the perfect setup.

Looks like we have similiar tendencies... I would have gone the exact same specs too... X100 & 1* up... If you got Lamkin Crosslines with an extra wrap I'm going to be freaked out...

HAHA!!! I am seriously partial to golf pride. I believe these will be coming with the standard Nike VR tour velvet (which is A-OK with me!!) grips, but if it were my choice I would have gone with the new VDRs or the NDMCs as I don't think I've liked a grip better than that.

Oddly enough though, I did ask for the second wrap for the 1/32. I just started with it late last year and really like the size variable. Suits me well I think.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Canadan!

I hope everyone is as excited to read these reviews as I am to give them. Nike has really come around with their new lineup, as is clear with my signature gaming the method 003 and the new VR pro wedges. I'll do what I can to be as thorough as possible!!!

Congrats to all the testers!

Man I am having a heck of a time with picking out a shaft. First I emailed Nike yesterday asking if it were possible to get the PX graphite shafts cut down and still get the SW up to normal. I then found a number to call so I spoke to someone on the phone. He said it was possible. Now I get an email response saying it's not possible and the SW will be 6 points lower. Grr. Might have to just go with the old standby KBS

I'd definitely get something that you are going to be comfortable with. No need to have something that leaves any room for doubt.

Man I am having a heck of a time with picking out a shaft. First I emailed Nike yesterday asking if it were possible to get the PX graphite shafts cut down and still get the SW up to normal. I then found a number to call so I spoke to someone on the phone. He said it was possible. Now I get an email response saying it's not possible and the SW will be 6 points lower. Grr. Might have to just go with the old standby KBS

Sorry to hear that bro. I know you really wanted to give the graphite a shot. I would try one more time...best out of 3 and all.

Sorry to hear that bro. I know you really wanted to give the graphite a shot. I would try one more time...best out of 3 and all.

Lol I responded to the email. I mean I don't understand how they would then get any cut down shaft back up to D1-D3. I thought most companies had heavier heads to get the SW up or used weights. I wonder if its because the graphite doesn't hold up well or something

Lol I responded to the email. I mean I don't understand how they would then get any cut down shaft back up to D1-D3. I thought most companies had heavier heads to get the SW up or used weights. I wonder if its because the graphite doesn't hold up well or something

Can you do mixed shafts?

Wow, color me jealous! Congrats to all the testers! Can't wait to hear your feedback.

Why not go swing something with a lower swing weight and see if it works for you. I have always thought that for many amateurs it is an overthought thing, but that is just my opinion.

That is a good idea. There is a local range that has a nice selection that I could look around. I really want that graphite

Congrats to all the testers. Great group and I look forward to the feedback

So it seems as if Nike does not do swing weighting. So that answers that question.

Had a bit of a nightmare when attempting to get a fitting done for shafts, but I think I've reached a decision. There's 2 really close options, but one felt a lot more natural than the other when aiming at a target. I could hit all shapes of shot predictably. I'm going to lock in my choices today.

Had a bit of a nightmare when attempting to get a fitting done for shafts, but I think I've reached a decision. There's 2 really close options, but one felt a lot more natural than the other when aiming at a target. I could hit all shapes of shot predictably. I'm going to lock in my choices today.

Which are? C'mon man! Talk about a cliffhanger.

Whoa! Yeah, tough decision buddy. We'll keep that discussion in that thread. My bad, I didn't see it this morning.

I like the discussion in this thread too though. Good for the testing!

Basically, I could pick any of the 4 shafts I demo'd and be pretty happy with them. Don't know which to go with - the very slight advantage in numbers, or the one that felt best to me overall.

With numbers all that close - go with feel. I think you may have regrets if you pick something else based solely on numbers and they do not feel as good to you. I mean - with numbers that close, it would come down to feel and appearance IMO.

I like the discussion in this thread too though. Good for the testing!

Basically, I could pick any of the 4 shafts I demo'd and be pretty happy with them. Don't know which to go with - the very slight advantage in numbers, or the one that felt best to me overall.

Yeah, it is a nice, yet tough, predicament for you to be in buddy. I still wouldn't put a ton of stock in the dispersion numbers (unless you play off the rack irons?). I would go with the Nippon's or the KBS' dude.

I'm surprised it's even a question Paulo!! The s300 SLs had a tighter dispersion, higher launch angle, and you only lost a yard of carry on most of the others?

TELL me that one felt good!

Back