Golf Ball Hitting Steel at 150 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
heres the thing, there is no way for sure to know is the First video is at 150mph or Way faster, those facts are hard to know for sure, it could be MUCH faster shot out of an air cannon as it possibly was for the "test". Also all other videos are a a MUCH faster frame rate, The Original posters video says its at 70,000fps and the other posted videos are between 600-4000 if that, the difference there is Huge.

Fair points, however I would counter by saying if the first video is way faster than 150mph, then it's fake, because it's insinuating that that is how a golf ball would react at 150mph. As to the frame rate one, in every shot of the ball after leaving the clubface, it's round. If it's just because the frame rate is lower and the wilder variations have been missed between images, that's an incredible coincidence that no variation was picked up at all on any of the other screen shots.

If a chicken lays an egg on the peak of a roof, which way will it roll off?

Hey Mr. Overton, it depends on wind direction, dew point, outside temperature, steepness of the angle, whether the egg will compress when rolling and if that compression point is higher on one point than the other, but of course we need a hen to try this lol

Im no expert, but I could see this happening. Its the recoil of the left edge of the ball that makes me think its not real. But the ball isnt being sent in a specific direction, its being stopped.

Isn't it supposed to be: "If a rooster..."?

-JP

Isn't it supposed to be: "If a rooster..."?

-JP

ahhh, I knew you would have a comment. hahaha. Yes it is. hence the post.

ahhh, I knew you would have a comment. hahaha. Yes it is. hence the post.

Betcha the rooster would think the video is fake... the chicken too.

-JP

Betcha the rooster would think the video is fake... the chicken too.

-JP

LMAO!!! why dont we ask...problem is, if they said it was real there is no way they could be right, especially if JB agreed with them. right?

LMAO!!! why dont we ask...problem is, if they said it was real there is no way they could be right, especially if JB agreed with them. right?

You appear to be confusing the letter P with the letter B

this thread seems to have been derailed. let's put her back on the tracks fellas!

They'd be wrong whether JB agreed with them or not.

-JP

A mod asked to get this one back on topic. Please do so or do not post. Thank you.

A mod asked to get this one back on topic. Please do so or do not post. Thank you.

Okay - JB, what's your opinion on the matter? If you had to pick real or not real, which way would you go? You've told us what someone else's opinion is, but that, to me at least, is not particularly interesting. Much more curious what you think.

Okay - JB, what's your opinion on the matter? If you had to pick real or not real, which way would you go? You've told us what someone else's opinion is, but that, to me at least, is not particularly interesting. Much more curious what you think.

He has said several times that he doesn't have an opinion one way or the other but if he had to guess he would go with the expert, and no I will not put quotes around expert because he is in fact an industry expert.

He has said several times that he doesn't have an opinion one way or the other but if he had to guess he would go with the expert, and no I will not put quotes around expert because he is in fact an industry expert.

This is exactly where I fall too.... I don't really know if it real or fake but when push comes to shove I am an optimist and I will trust it is real unless provided with solid evidence to the contrary which I don't feel I have seen yet. Having an industry expert who agrees that it may be possible doesn't hurt either.

All the expert said is it was possible. He (the expert) hasn't even really given an opinion over whether it's real or not. Or at least if he has I haven't been privy to it.

Actually, one other question if I may, what's his job title? Just curious is all.

All the expert said is it was possible. He (the expert) hasn't even really given an opinion over whether it's real or not. Or at least if he has I haven't been privy to it.

Actually, one other question if I may, what's his job title? Just curious is all.

He is director of research and development of a top 5 golf ball manufacturer. Unless any of us were there to see the video happen in real life and know all the fact no one can say for sure if it is real or not. But if he says it's possible then I am confident in his expertise to believe that it could in fact be real.

We can nit pick this video to death but if we weren't there at filming there is no way to know for sure, all we have is speculation.

He is director of research and development of a top 5 golf ball manufacturer. Unless any of us were there to see the video happen in real life and know all the fact no one can say for sure if it is real or not. But if he says it's possible then I am confident in his expertise to believe that it could in fact be real.

We can nit pick this video to death but if we weren't there at filming there is no way to know for sure, all we have is speculation.

Not sure if I agree with you on that. For example, I wasn't here when this was filmed:

but I know it's fake. And I wasn't here when this was filmed:

but I know it's real. There are ways to determine if things are real or not. Personally I don't believe that that video is real for a second, unless there's something else very different about it than what it says like the ball is moving a lot faster than 150mph.

Not sure if I agree with you on that. For example, I wasn't here when this was filmed:

but I know it's fake. And I wasn't here when this was filmed:

but I know it's real. There are ways to determine if things are real or not. Personally I don't believe that that video is real for a second, unless there's something else very different about it than what it says like the ball is moving a lot faster than 150mph.

Here's the deal, I don't have the patience to argue with you and I know that I can talk until I am blue in the face trying to tell you how I feel but you will just argue with me and I don't care to do that. So that's great that you feel that way and you can keep throwing videos up and defending your opinion and that's fine I repsect that. I have said what I have to say and that's it, I am done.

Personally I don't believe that that video is real for a second, unless there's something else very different about it than what it says like the ball is moving a lot faster than 150mph.

You summed it up right there. It does not matter what our expert's title is, what he says, or if he comes out on the radio show and says, "I witnessed the testing and its real". You dont believe it, wont believe it, and that is your choice. Just as others do believe it. Asking what his title was is interesting though. Would it have changed your opinion depending on what his title was? Of course not.

First the argument by some was that a golf ball cannot do that because of the way its built. Now its that it could but it must be moving faster. Frankly I could care less. Its a freaking Youtube video. So many were disagreeing so we called a golf ball R&D guy. He says based on materials and what he knows it could happen. But nothing matters in this because unless you witness it live or have more information, nobody knows.

Like I said before, eventually the truth comes out and some are right and some are wrong.

Here's the deal, I don't have the patience to argue with you and I know that I can talk until I am blue in the face trying to tell you how I feel but you will just argue with me and I don't care to do that. So that's great that you feel that way and you can keep throwing videos up and defending your opinion and that's fine I repsect that. I have said what I have to say and that's it, I am done.

Fine. I'm not really looking to argue with you. I just want to discuss the video. For example, I asked a bunch of questions about it that I asked JB to pitch to his expert and as far as I know none of them have been answered yet. Basically my position is I'm willing to believe that it's real if someone can explain to me the differences between a ball hit with a club and the ball in the video. Thus far I have seen some people put some reasonable efforts into it, but I don't think any of them hold water. That's all.

Wow. This thread got heated in a few hours. Neat vid. It's entertainment people.

Fine. I'm not really looking to argue with you. I just want to discuss the video. For example, I asked a bunch of questions about it that I asked JB to pitch to his expert and as far as I know none of them have been answered yet. Basically my position is I'm willing to believe that it's real if someone can explain to me the differences between a ball hit with a club and the ball in the video. Thus far I have seen some people put some reasonable efforts into it, but I don't think any of them hold water. That's all.

JB responded earlier and said that he will be speaking with him next week and he will ask those questions. But to be fair I do think you are trying to be argumentative, and that's fine, you are passionate about your opinions, but I am not an argumentative person and I don't enjoy going around and around arguing opinions. For every thing I say you will search for a video to dispute it and I just don't have the patience for that, it's just not my thing.

JB will ask your questions and get you answers, but he has already said that the video could be real yet you still dispute that too. Like JB said in his earlier post no matter how many fact we throw your way you will find a way to dispute it. As I said, I am done.

You summed it up right there. It does not matter what our expert's title is, what he says, or if he comes out on the radio show and says, "I witnessed the testing and its real". You dont believe it, wont believe it, and that is your choice. Just as others do believe it. Asking what his title was is interesting though. Would it have changed your opinion depending on what his title was? Of course not.

First the argument by some was that a golf ball cannot do that because of the way its built. Now its that it could but it must be moving faster. Frankly I could care less. Its a freaking Youtube video. So many were disagreeing so we called a golf ball R&D guy. He says based on materials and what he knows it could happen. But nothing matters in this because unless you witness it live or have more information, nobody knows.

Like I said before, eventually the truth comes out and some are right and some are wrong.

Not true. I'm happy to change my opinion on this if I see evidence to the contrary. If someone showed me another video showing something similar I'd be a lot more likely to believe it, but every other video I've found matches my belief. On the other hand you have your expert who apparently says that it's possible. I asked what his job title was partly because I was curious if he was the kind of person who would get his hands dirty and might actually test something like compression and destructibility and so on or if he was something different. To be honest I'm still not sure which, though he sounds like someone who should know.

Fact is I'm a fairly sceptical person by nature and I'm sceptical of that video. So I try to dig more. No one else seems to want to play.

Oh, and for the record, suggesting that I'm the one who's been bouncing around in my opinion on this thing is a bit rich given that people have been saying things like "well maybe it's a super low compression ball". I've never said it can't because of the way it's built. Someone else said that. I have only ever said that a golf ball moving at 150mph won't deform like that. I've posted several videos showing other golf balls not deforming like that on impact at similar speeds. I've also posted a video of a squash ball deforming in a very similar fashion, but all of that has been glossed over because your expert says that it's possible. But whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back