Golf Ball Hitting Steel at 150 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ball Expert Answers to Ty_Webb's questions

Pause it at 50 seconds. This is a picture of the ball just a tiny fraction after impact. It's Tiger Woods, so he's swinging it at somewhere in the low-mid 120s mph I think (the swingvision thing claims a 139mph clubhead speed unless I'm misreading, but I don't believe that's right). Look at how round the ball is. There is absolutely none of that continued oscillation that you see on the other video. Granted that's at a faster speed, but there's quite a lot of give in that steel plate so other than the speed they should be consistent. I personally find it quite hard to believe that 25 odd mph makes the difference between a perfectly round ball just after impact versus the egg-shaped thing on that video.

"Steel plate sitting still with far less give and moving club head can and will cause a difference in distortion as it relates to a golf ball. 25mph will cause a much larger distortion of any golf ball in our research. Take a club head moving 100 mph and one moving 75 mph, the difference at impact is quite large. The same can be said for a ball moving 150 and one moving 125. In fact the difference has been found to be so great that we as manufacturers have had to completely change the process of making golf balls as speeds have increased due to technology."

Couple of other questions for your golf ball person:

1) Does he think that's a standard golf ball or is there something funny about it?

"I think it could be a standard golf ball. The violence of impact to the golf ball has changed the way we manufacture them as mentioned previously. Take a very low impact (compression) ball and put a violent swing on it, and the ball will deform dramatically different than a higher impact ball. Golfers should be looking at the trampoline like symptoms that take place and making sure that they have a golf ball that fits within their swing speed and equipment. The notion that a golf ball simply cannot do this is completely false. We have witnessed deformations and it was brought up on the forum by someone that the golf ball would break under these conditions. This is not necessarily true at all; to believe that the solid core balls are "solid" and will not move is false."

2) How efficient does he think that impact is going to be with the ball flexing around like that and wasting energy at the same time?

"In the video scenario, the golf ball would not be efficient for launch conditions on a golf course. I have watched it numerous times and have not seen anything talk about efficiency. Could a manufactured golf ball do this at this speed? Yes it could depending on the golf ball being tested and what the materials of this ball are made of. Cover, core, layers and compression will all lead to what can and cannot be done."

"Based on what I have read on the community forum, not sure my answers will help or not."

Ball Expert Answers to Ty_Webb's questions

Pause it at 50 seconds. This is a picture of the ball just a tiny fraction after impact. It's Tiger Woods, so he's swinging it at somewhere in the low-mid 120s mph I think (the swingvision thing claims a 139mph clubhead speed unless I'm misreading, but I don't believe that's right). Look at how round the ball is. There is absolutely none of that continued oscillation that you see on the other video. Granted that's at a faster speed, but there's quite a lot of give in that steel plate so other than the speed they should be consistent. I personally find it quite hard to believe that 25 odd mph makes the difference between a perfectly round ball just after impact versus the egg-shaped thing on that video.

"Steel plate sitting still with far less give and moving club head can and will cause a difference in distortion as it relates to a golf ball. 25mph will cause a much larger distortion of any golf ball in our research. Take a club head moving 100 mph and one moving 75 mph, the difference at impact is quite large. The same can be said for a ball moving 150 and one moving 125. In fact the difference has been found to be so great that we as manufacturers have had to completely change the process of making golf balls as speeds have increased due to technology."

Couple of other questions for your golf ball person:

1) Does he think that's a standard golf ball or is there something funny about it?

"I think it could be a standard golf ball. The violence of impact to the golf ball has changed the way we manufacture them as mentioned previously. Take a very low impact (compression) ball and put a violent swing on it, and the ball will deform dramatically different than a higher impact ball. Golfers should be looking at the trampoline like symptoms that take place and making sure that they have a golf ball that fits within their swing speed and equipment. The notion that a golf ball simply cannot do this is completely false. We have witnessed deformations and it was brought up on the forum by someone that the golf ball would break under these conditions. This is not necessarily true at all; to believe that the solid core balls are "solid" and will not move is false."

2) How efficient does he think that impact is going to be with the ball flexing around like that and wasting energy at the same time?

"In the video scenario, the golf ball would not be efficient for launch conditions on a golf course. I have watched it numerous times and have not seen anything talk about efficiency. Could a manufactured golf ball do this at this speed? Yes it could depending on the golf ball being tested and what the materials of this ball are made of. Cover, core, layers and compression will all lead to what can and cannot be done."

"Based on what I have read on the community forum, not sure my answers will help or not."

So once you get past all of the provisos, conditions, qualifications, stipulations, prerequisites, restrictions and conditions set forth by the ball guy, his answer is basically "I'm not sure", or at best: "Maybe".

The mystery continues...

-JP

So once you get past all of the provisos, conditions, qualifications, stipulations, prerequisites, restrictions and conditions set forth by the ball guy, his answer is basically "I'm not sure", or at best: "Maybe".

The mystery continues...

-JP

i think his best statement was this one:

pretty much means that no matter what he says or doesn't say, he'll be picked apart. thanks for proving that point!

The mystery continues...

-JP

I think you need to read his two quotes again in his two posts. He has said all along that It COULD be true. This followup was to answer Ty_Webb's questions since he asked them. But that without seeing it filmed there is no need to say yes or no, nor would he. However he has stated that the people that think it is impossible are in fact incorrect. It is quite possible.

so basically a ball shot out of a cannon at 150mph, hitting a steel wall with little give could create this video. Where as a club with some "trampoline effect" could not make the ball do that during a swing? I was never one to say that this was impossible. There are just a lot of variables that add up to this video. Thanks for getting an expert to answer a few of the questions JB.

I think you need to read his two quotes again in his two posts. He has said all along that It COULD be true. This followup was to answer Ty_Webb's questions since he asked them. But that without seeing it filmed there is no need to say yes or no, nor would he. However he has stated that the people that think it is impossible are in fact incorrect. It is quite possible.

I read his comments several times and all I get from them is that he's saying that under the right conditions, it's possible. He said "Take a very low impact (compression) ball and put a violent swing on it, and the ball will deform dramatically different than a higher impact ball" and "We have witnessed deformations..." and "Could a manufactured golf ball do this at this speed? Yes it could depending on the golf ball being tested and what the materials of this ball are made of. Cover, core, layers and compression will all lead to what can and cannot be done."

But what I'm not reading is that he has actually seen this type of deformation (or anything close to it) nor does he use his expertise to definitively say that what is shown in the video is real.

When you also consider the fact that the alleged steel plate that the alleged ball allegedly slams into actually moves backward at least a half an inch after impact, one must assume that the energy of the ball (it's inertia) is severely reduced. Bearing this in mind, I find it hard to believe that the ball will nonetheless continue to flatten to the extent shown on the video.

What the ball guy's remarks say to me is that if this "golf ball" were made of some super-soft material, it may indeed be possible to produce the result shown. But the title of the video is simply: "Golf Ball Hitting Steel at 150 mph", which I suspect is written to be intentionally ambiguous but nonetheless implies that this is a typical golf ball. The title doesn't suggest a "specially made" golf ball or a "super-soft" golf ball. It just refers to a golf ball.

So if you believe the video to be true and real (which I don't), you would also have to accept the premise that the golf ball being "tested" is indeed a typical golf ball and I maintain that such deformation would be physically impossible for a typical golf ball. Perhaps a specially made ball might do what the video suggests, but it would not be typical then, would it?

-JP

I give up. The truth is, even if he would have said we see this everyday in testing, you would have disputed it as you have the entire time. First it would have been his job title, then credentials, then his answers. He said real golf ball. Low compression balls are still real golf balls. In the end, I just dont care enough to argue with you about it.

He was asked to answer questions from Ty and he answered those questions. You can argue with someone else about it now.

Last edited:
I'd take a 150mph golf ball to the stones if I could go back in time and convince the OP to not post this thread.

i think his best statement was this one:

pretty much means that no matter what he says or doesn't say, he'll be picked apart. thanks for proving that point!

i love when i can quote something i said like 20 minutes earlier.

lol @ hawk!!!

I'd take a 150mph golf ball to the stones if I could go back in time and convince the OP to not post this thread.

Best post ever.

i love when i can quote something i said like 20 minutes earlier.

lol @ hawk!!!

Aint that the truth. Answered questions and already knew what the result would be.

*grabs driver,ball, tee and puts launch monitor next to Hawk*

All in favor of locking this thread.......:deadhorse:

*grabs driver,ball, tee and puts launch monitor next to Hawk*

Club speed would only be 105, thus making it physically impossible for the damage that you are looking for. I've been thinking pretty hard about this.

Club speed would only be 105, thus making it physically impossible for the damage that you are looking for. I've been thinking pretty hard about this.

haha, that's even more hilarious! i love me some hawk!

5591die_thread_die.jpg

I give up. The truth is, even if he would have said we see this everyday in testing, you would have disputed it as you have the entire time. First it would have been his job title, then credentials, then his answers. He said real golf ball. Low compression balls are still real golf balls. In the end, I just dont care enough to argue with you about it.

Actually, just his/her name would be nice.

For everyone else who doesn't like the thread, don't read it. Simple.

By the way, JB, thank you for passing on the questions and posting the responses.

I read his comments several times and all I get from them is that he's saying that under the right conditions, it's possible. He said "Take a very low impact (compression) ball and put a violent swing on it, and the ball will deform dramatically different than a higher impact ball" and "We have witnessed deformations..." and "Could a manufactured golf ball do this at this speed? Yes it could depending on the golf ball being tested and what the materials of this ball are made of. Cover, core, layers and compression will all lead to what can and cannot be done."

But what I'm not reading is that he has actually seen this type of deformation (or anything close to it) nor does he use his expertise to definitively say that what is shown in the video is real.

When you also consider the fact that the alleged steel plate that the alleged ball allegedly slams into actually moves backward at least a half an inch after impact, one must assume that the energy of the ball (it's inertia) is severely reduced. Bearing this in mind, I find it hard to believe that the ball will nonetheless continue to flatten to the extent shown on the video.

What the ball guy's remarks say to me is that if this "golf ball" were made of some super-soft material, it may indeed be possible to produce the result shown. But the title of the video is simply: "Golf Ball Hitting Steel at 150 mph", which I suspect is written to be intentionally ambiguous but nonetheless implies that this is a typical golf ball. The title doesn't suggest a "specially made" golf ball or a "super-soft" golf ball. It just refers to a golf ball.

So if you believe the video to be true and real (which I don't), you would also have to accept the premise that the golf ball being "tested" is indeed a typical golf ball and I maintain that such deformation would be physically impossible for a typical golf ball. Perhaps a specially made ball might do what the video suggests, but it would not be typical then, would it?

-JP

The title said "Golf Ball Hitting Steel at 150 mph". Not a regular golf ball hitting steel at 150 mph. Or a Pro V1 ball hitting steel at 150 mph. If you feel like you were duped by the title, sorry. Either way, it's just a video. Some of us disagree with you. Just give up because you are not going to win this argument and it doesn't really matter anyway.

douche1.jpg

Actually, just his/her name would be nice.

For everyone else who doesn't like the thread, don't read it. Simple.

He asked not to give that out because it is not their video. Nor would we have done so anyway. Not sure what his name matters, because we have given his position, but I am sure more have their reasons.

The people that dont care love the explanations and the people that want to argue, it would not matter what the person said. In the end, I just do not care either way. Its a freaking Youtube video that people had questions on, we asked someone to answer questions. They did. You wanted more questions answered, which they did. Im over it.

He asked not to give that out because it is not their video.

Huh? Why would that bother him? We were asking for his expert opinion on a video. Not asking him to take ownership of the video or anything like that. :bulgy-eyes:

Huh? Why would that bother him? We were asking for his expert opinion on a video. Not asking him to take ownership of the video or anything like that. :bulgy-eyes:

Because he is not a marketing person nor a rep for a company. He is in R&D and does not want to be associated with some argumentative thread on a forum. I completely understand it. The guy could have said he sat in the room and witnessed it first hand and some still would not believe him. It makes no difference. You asked for questions to be answered and he did. You did not state that you needed his name to validate it. You also asked previously for his position (which we gave), now more is needed...I cant blame the guy for what he said. He is dead right with his last comment that TC quoted.

I think most are right, this one may have run its course. Some just want to argue it seems.

Lock it down dude, its just annoying now

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

I would like to quote a wise man that spoke earlier in this thread.

It seems we have the views of everyone, including an expert. Think what you want, when it comes down to it, this video is awesome.

I haven't even posted in this thread because if I do I'd kick my own ass for feeding into the idiotic intentions of a couple of people who just don't seen to want to let it die! Please JB, lock 'er down!

I haven't even posted in this thread because if I do I'd kick my own ass for feeding into the idiotic intentions of a couple of people who just don't seen to want to let it die! Please JB, lock 'er down!

This wise man is right....

Locked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back