How cold is too cold

45 to 50 degree's is the lowest for me, to many warm days here for me to not enjoy the round. It's going to be 71 here tomorrow and 75 on Tuesday.

I have footjoy winter gloves and under armour colder so I will play in a feellike temperature down to 30*

Tappin!

I played my college championships at Finkbin in Iowa and it snowed from the 4th hole to the 9th. As i walked up the 9th the brain trust finally called the matches for the day.there was two inches on the course

45 to 50 degree's is the lowest for me, to many warm days here for me to not enjoy the round. It's going to be 71 here tomorrow and 75 on Tuesday.

Send some of that my way

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Good thing is it has only gone below freezing once or twice this winter in Houston. Perfect weather lately. Mid 60s during the day today.

Jan 15th, 2012. Who would believe we played a round of golf this time of year in Nebraska? +2 after 7 holes and blew it from there, but 54*?? On my way to play the lotto, let's keep this streak going.

id play in anything above 32 and have but lately around here even when its warmer 45* i can't find many courses that will even stay open due to people not playing enough or closed for the year.... i went to 4 courses the other day and none were open... im really hoping to get out this week somewhere before it gets really cold.

id play in anything above 32 and have but lately around here even when its warmer 45* i can't find many courses that will even stay open due to people not playing enough or closed for the year.... i went to 4 courses the other day and none were open... im really hoping to get out this week somewhere before it gets really cold.

Come to de. They are all open

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I've had to walk plenty lately, but most here are closed as well. I just walk on and play their make shift greens.

I'll play in just about anything. Or until I can't feel my fingers. May not be a great score but that won't stop me. Lol....

I've had to walk plenty lately, but most here are closed as well. I just walk on and play their make shift greens.

just found a place tomorrow thats open... walking 9 with my buddy and only for $8. glad its only 9 my swing is still a mess with all swing changes going on.... supposed to be a high of 37* tomorrow afternoon. at least the walking will keep me warm.

just found a place tomorrow thats open... walking 9 with my buddy and only for $8. glad its only 9 my swing is still a mess with all swing changes going on.... supposed to be a high of 37* tomorrow afternoon. at least the walking will keep me warm.

Good luck out there, at least you don't have 5 ft of snow under your PA feet, lol. Lot's of thin layers, load up on the socks and you may shoot a record round. Have fun!

Good luck out there, at least you don't have 5 ft of snow under your PA feet, lol. Lot's of thin layers, load up on the socks and you may shoot a record round. Have fun!

prob be a record for lost balls tomorrow lol

I'm not to concerned with the temp, as long as there is no wind. I have played in the high 20s a few times. Had a tournament around christmas one year that my brother-in-law set us up for. Tee time temp was like 28/29. My father-in-law was pissed. Turned out to be a great day in the low 40s. Father-in-law perked up after the round, since we won it.

Last year I played twice in the 20's. Don't think I would do it again, but I did have a blast sliding the cart around on the icy fairways!!!

If the course is open, I play. On Saturday there was a 2 hour frost delay at my course and we were all complaining because the course thermometer read 33*. The greens were still frozen so we all sat in the club house and waited.

today was brutal... if it werent for the wind dropping the chill into the teens it woulda been tolerable

How cold is too cold? The worst days I've played is temp in the 20s with wind in the 20s, which are pretty rare here maybe one or two days per winter. None so far this year, coldest this year has been the entire round in low 30s with light wind, 10-12 mph.

On frost days, we can not start until the greens are frost-free it usually warms up pretty good on those days. Some days there is no frost but the greens are frozen solid so we are able to play and those days can be pretty cold.

Playing in the cold does get tougher every year on the joints and muscles. I still enjoy those cold days, different challenges, having to think new ways to play holes, find ways to score when it is impossible to chase the ball up on the green and hitting the green results in the ball bouncing off the back. One advantage is it is not crowded on the course.

Last edited:
Yeah Lefty, I'm just a few miles south of you and its the same. With the exception of frost or freeze delays, we're pretty much good to go year around. That is, if the wind isn't too awful. When the sun is out, the wind is down (10 mph or so), temperature is moot. If it is below 40 or so, just pop in the cart heater and have at it. Today was a real steal of a day!

You all are crazy, 50 with no wind, then maybe.

40* is my limit.

The coldest I played was at a course called Grey Wolf it's a fantastic mountain course but it was 1* celcius with out the wind chill. The cart girl didnt carry any beer just coffee and hot chocolate

Played a week before Christmas in the mid 30* with lots of wind, that was the coldest I have ever played in and it was border line mainly due to the windchill. Played Christmas day (clubhouse doesn't open but they let you play for free) high was 39* and it wasn't bad but some of the greens were froze solid and the ball would bounce like a superball on concrete. Played last Tuesday and actually got too hot, hit 61*, Thursdays high was 20* and 4" of snow so season is over for now.

I have played when it was in the 20's but it wasn't alot of fun! Alot of it to me depends on the humidity and the wind that go along with it....if it's calm and low 30's I will play.....if the wind is whipping 25 MPH..then probably not.

Temps started in the 30's all three days this weekend and I was at the course before 8am Friday, Saturday and Sunday....course it was in the 50's by noon and the 60's by late afternoon.

Don't start a round cold, because you'll never get warm. In a golf cart especially. Don't dress for cold on the golf course, dress for it in the locker room or at home and then warm up extra well. Preparation is the key. 35 degrees is my cut off.

Back