How do you gauge a “3/4” shot?

It’s a touchy shot for sure. I mainly try to block these following thoughts from my mind when standing over the ball:

”oh God in heaven….please don’t let me chunk this, or skull it, or shank it……please..please”

I'm very raw and not a great golfer but I would think it depends on what you mean by 3/4 swing. Do you hit 100 yards full and want to hit it 75 yards, or more 3/4 of a full swing and the outcome is closer to 85-90 yards? My point is it seems to kind of depend on your acceleration. In my example my 52 degree is my 100 yard club, to hit it 75 yards I have to closer to 1/2 swing it due to the way I accelerate without taking too much off the club which tends to cause more "glitches" in my swing.

Used to go off of feel but it wasn't working out consistently for me... so I switched to being a little more mechanical with it and I have a certain point in my backswing I stop, then proceed to follow through with the same speed as a normal swing so I can get away from chunking it.

With me it is 75 % coil . 100% has my spine coiled to the base of my head.

There was an interesting video tip from Martin Chuck in my e-mail today talking about this very thing. Ultimately, you just have to go to the range and work at it. This allows you to develop a feel for those partial shots. I mentioned before how my main golf buddy likes to go running up to my ball with his Garmin watch (he really loves his Garmin watch) and tell me that I have 52 yards to the center of the green. This doesn't help me at all, and I finally told him, "Dude! My short game is nowhere near that precise!" I just look at the shot. Uphill? Downhill? Level? Lie? Then take a few practice swings and put one on the ball. alot of it is feel.

More feel , depends what that shot is …
Wind / weather / location fairway grass rough etc .. and if there obstacles between ..

What are you hitting on the day .. also
If your flying or it’s all a failure lol ..

Lots more to consider

Boils down to feel for me , what may get me where I want to be … I tend to look at my GPS , then look at the distance and hit that … just my IOS lol )

Back