Is Titleist getting left behind?

I think titleist has done well to stay afloat with the technology they bring out, I just don't feel connected to them as a consumer. I think if they want to keep up in the next 5 years, they are going to have to change up their strategy a bit.

I don't think they are being left behind at all. They make great products. Titleist doesn't get discussed as much on THP as other products, for whatever reason.

Mixed thoughts on this. I feel like those that are homers will continue to be. The average consumer is not going to do the research on other companies per say. We here at THP have a hunger for knowledge In and around the golf industry, so we get that there are other options out there that are comperable if not better for our games. Titleist is more conservative in their marketing and social media aspects and that works for them. They market the Pro V pretty hard but that seems to be the extent of it. Their equipment is costly which is a bit of a deterrence for some as well. But they seem to be comfortable with where they are at Acushnet. Lets not forget Footjoy, Pinnacle, Titleist

I play the Titleist 910d2 and I have yet to find a driver i like or suits me better and i have tried alot. I dont belive they are being left behind but maybe have a different market to thoose who change there products more frequently????

I don't think so. For the few thousand people that visit this site it might appear that way since they aren't as visible as other companies, but that doesn't mean their being left behind. To me, it just seems like they just go about their business and do what they do and not get caught up in what everyone else is doing and constantly try to come up with the next great thing or gimmick. It's almost as if they say 'here is our product, we feel it is a good product, if you like it, buy it, if not, that's fine, someone else will. We try and develop a quality item that can stand on it's own.'

I don't think Titleist is left behind at all. While I have tried their equipment and thought it was solid it just wasn't for me. I think that's how they want it. Its not for everybody, well except for their golf balls, but the guys that like it will spend the money. The product cycles sit well with me by not bringing something out every 3 months like some do and I think that's where some people get the idea that Titleist is being left behind.

I think they are still going strong. LIke a lot of OEM's they have their legions of fans. Also, they get a lot of converts ( warning assumption: guys who are sick of the ads and want someting 'honest'). The thing with Titleist appears to be that they tweak their lines and make subtle differences. They do not promise 17-27 yards froma club and I think this grows on the golf hobbyist. I realize that the holy grail of golf balls is the ProV (I strongly disagree with that) and that is one of their niches. Yet with clubs as good as they make (e.g., AP2, 910, 913) visibility comes in the form of WITB. They run their ads for a bit and they are kind of lame compared to the Nike or TM, but they advertise what your going to get. In no way have Titleist disappeared, in fact for me, they appeared and I like their stuff after my own complexes with them. They could change their warranty to two years though...

Mark,
I had always thought about Titleist as a lifetime (10 year) warranty sort of club maker because of how they angle themselves (wrt the "one word description" thread). This is good to know.

They could change their warranty to two years though...

Its ok, they make quality stuff. Maybe that is their way of saying it...
Cheers

I do not think Titleist is being left behind in any shape or form, They are the biggest name in golf when you add their vokey wedge and cameron putters in the picture along with foot joy and pro v1 balls....Acushnet in general is a Golf Giant and I cannot think of another company with as much going on. They are also sticking more to only offering new iron and driver selections ever 2 years vs every 1 year with a lot of other companies and that makes the other equipment of less value after a season as well it makes you feel more confident I think you have a product that is solid for a few years in the industry! I am not a titleist band wagon guy either. Read my sig.They offer good equipmment and I play a bit of it but I am happier with different irons from different companies for the most part!

I'd have to say they definitely are not getting left behind. we might not see a lot of popular professionals use their metals & irons but their wedges & putters are used by more than you'd realize. not to mention, like you already have, the Pro V1 & Pro V1x are gamed by a vast majority.

Still the number 1 for me. I also like how they don't splash the cash to keep guys like Rory and Tiger with them, their products are quality and speak for themselves they don't need a show pony to showcase them for them.

I think that Titleist is keeping up just fine. They seem "behind" because they product cycle every 2 years. While they don't throw wads of cash at marketing they certainly hold their own in the marketing world. They are very focused on doing one thing very well and that is making clubs that appeal to a select grouping of golfers and those golfers are very loyal to the Titleist way.

Still the number 1 for me. I also like how they don't splash the cash to keep guys like Rory and Tiger with them, their products are quality and speak for themselves they don't need a show pony to showcase them for them.

I think you put it in a nutshell!

While they may not be willing to pay the big bucks for those gentlemen, we should keep in mind that they still pay more players than any other company out there for endorsements. Its not as if some companies are paying guys and others are above that.

I would say yes. Titleist hasnt done much lately with clubs thats new or revolutionary, Titleist doesnt have the dominance in the ball market that they once had and Scotty Cameron putters arent as highly regarded as they once were. In a lot of ways, TM and Nike have left them in the dust.

I would say yes. Titleist hasnt done much lately with clubs thats new or revolutionary, Titleist doesnt have the dominance in the ball market that they once had and Scotty Cameron putters arent as highly regarded as they once were. In a lot of ways, TM and Nike have left them in the dust.

This is a good point, although something that some do not realize the dominance is still huge. They are well over 50% of the entire golf ball market with the Pro V1. And outside of Bridgestone in that 13% range, only one other company (Callaway) tops even 10%. That dominance is still complete domination and it is done in both dollars, product sold and products placed.

This is a good point, although something that some do not realize the dominance is still huge. They are well over 50% of the entire golf ball market with the Pro V1. And outside of Bridgestone in that 13% range, only one other company (Callaway) tops even 10%. That dominance is still completely domination and it is done in both dollars, product sold and products placed.
Not saying they arent still dominant, just that they arent as dominant as they once were. Bridgestone's ballfitting has hurt their marketshare, IMO. That and the fact that Nike and TM's balls are better than theyve ever been.
What has Titleist done in balls thats new? All they can do is brag that they are the most used ball on tour, even though they pay people to use their ball. (just like everyone else) I feel that for the average golfer, Titleist leaves a lot to be desired in helping people find the right ball. For them, its all the Pro V1, whereas for many of the others they help you find the right ball, not just the most expensive ball in their lineup.

Honestly Titleist is and really always has been the premier brand for top notch players. They focus their attention to individuals that play very well in stead of the occasional golfer. As far as them focusing more on golf ball sales, that is very smart of Titleist. Seeing how they are the #1 golf ball company in the world they need to focus as much as possible in that area. Think about it a player tends to find equipment that he likes and keeps for on average 2 to 3 years roughly say $2000 in club sales in that time frame that player on average will purchase a dozen or two dozen golf balls per month roughly $3000 in the same time frame. Titleist still has arguably the best equipment out their for low handicap players. If you go out to watch any college or amateur tournaments look into the players bags Titleist clubs will out number any other manufacture 4 to 1. You have to remember pros are payed to play a particular brand, if they could play whatever they wanted you can bet the vast majority of pros would play Titleist clubs over any other brand.

Honestly Titleist is and really always has been the premier brand for top notch players. They focus their attention to individuals that play very well in stead of the occasional golfer. As far as them focusing more on golf ball sales, that is very smart of Titleist. Seeing how they are the #1 golf ball company in the world they need to focus as much as possible in that area. Think about it a player tends to find equipment that he likes and keeps for on average 2 to 3 years roughly say $2000 in club sales in that time frame that player on average will purchase a dozen or two dozen golf balls per month roughly $3000 in the same time frame. Titleist still has arguably the best equipment out their for low handicap players. If you go out to watch any college or amateur tournaments look into the players bags Titleist clubs will out number any other manufacture 4 to 1. You have to remember pros are payed to play a particular brand, if they could play whatever they wanted you can bet the vast majority of pros would play Titleist clubs over any other brand.

I'm curious where that stat came from? The 4 to 1 stat?

Last edited:

So does Callaway pay you?

I don't think they're bring left behind at all. I honestly dont know any on tour statistics or anything but it seems like there are a ton of amateurs playing Titleist gear. I still think they make some of the best looking equipment. I used to be a SC fan boy because I thought they were the best putters out there period, glad I got over that.

I'm curious where that stat came from? The 4 to 1 stat?

4 to 1 stat comes from the 20 some odd college tournaments I've played in and the 4 amateur tournaments and 1 u.s. open qualifier I caddied in. Just so you know.

So does Callaway pay you?

no unfortunately not, they offer our college team to be part of their v.i.p program so we can get clubs for a fraction of the cost. Hence why my bag is filled with Callaway. But I have put the pro v1x back into play over the hex black and now that my v.i.p membership is ended I will be switching back to Titleist at the beginning of next golf season.

4 to 1 stat comes from the 20 some odd college tournaments I've played in and the 4 amateur tournaments and 1 u.s. open qualifier I caddied in. Just so you know.

Just curious if that was a provided stat or observational from your stand point?

Back