Journey to Average 30 Putts per Round.

I played 2 holes yesterday, I had 2 GIR and 3 putts. good day I suppose, but pretty small sample. I then went to the short game practice area and played my up and down game for a while with my wife and son. It sounds so freaking obvious but spending extra time just with my chipping and putting has helped my game a ton. Its not about the technique for me, but just the feel of the different shots.

I agree! I've shot in the 70's the last two times out all because of the improvement in my chipping. I saved 8 pars with good chips/pitches off the green. I was so excited!

I think I had a breakthrough putting in the house the other day. My feet line up left of my ball path. I accepted this and used the putter face only to line up putts.
13 putts through 9, my best ever! I actually made some putts over 10ft, which just doesn't happen

I agree! I've shot in the 70's the last two times out all because of the improvement in my chipping. I saved 8 pars with good chips/pitches off the green. I was so excited!

Thats so great Kelly! With feel shots like chipping and pitching there is no substitute for work on the practice area. Yesterday on the first of the two holes, I hit a great drive on the par 5 leaving me 200 into green. I blew a 4 hybrid over the green and had a chip back to a front flag, I had hit this shot about 50 times over the last 2 days and just went to that memory and hit the shot. Tap in birdie. This shows up as a one putt on the score card, but is really more a refection of my overall short game which I think is what putting numbers really are.

37 putts today, had a couple of really nice single putts but too many 3 putts wiped them out.

Another 37 putts and an 88 yesterday. Also had 12 chips. That's 49 strokes chipping and putting. I still contend that it's the combo of putts and chips that really tells the story. Had I hit all 18 greens I could have had 37 putts, and still shot a 76 - WAY below my 12.5 handicap. Conversely, had I missed all the greens but had 30 putts, my score would only improve by one stroke.

I'm going to keep focusing on this combo stat. Long term goal - under 40 combined. Short term goal - improvement :D

I think it's unusual for someone with a 7.5 handicap to make 4 3-putts though. If you get rid of those, you will really knock some strokes off your game. Your GIR numbers are great.

You are correct KB. Yesterday was a pretty appalling day putting-wise for me. I avg one 3-putt per every other round, so yesterday was a pretty big anomaly. I think the system will work though with a regular day though. We'll see after I play today!

What is a little off? Are you saying the conversion to the 19 handicap equivalent putting or just how you putted?

Well, the score I posted what a 10hc would shoot. But if you go by my putts, I played at a 19hc level.

Or maybe this whole system is just kind of over my head? I was under the impression that this feet-of-putting system was supposed to be close to your actual hc. Is it actually just to show me what level my putting is at?

You are correct KB. Yesterday was a pretty appalling day putting-wise for me. I avg one 3-putt per every other round, so yesterday was a pretty big anomaly. I think the system will work though with a regular day though. We'll see after I play today!

Well, the score I posted what a 10hc would shoot. But if you go by my putts, I played at a 19hc level.

Or maybe this whole system is just kind of over my head? I was under the impression that this feet-of-putting system was supposed to be close to your actual hc. Is it actually just to show me what level my putting is at?

Yes - this theory of total feet of putts made is intended to show your putting specific handicap. This is saying you putted like a 19 handicap, which indicates you hit the ball probably like a 5 handicap or less (as evidenced by your hitting 10 greens). The beauty of this (showing a putting specific handicap irrespective of your actual handicap) is that you can really see how much your putting is holding (or helping in some cases) you back.

For instance, for me today I shot an 86. On the course I played this was probably the equivalent of a total 13 handicap score. However, I putted according to the chart like a 2 handicap. Thank goodness because the 86 could have easily been a 92.

I only hit 5 FIRs and 5 GIRs - clearly my ballstriking was sub-par today. I probably hit the ball like a 20. But it was my putting that helped me post an OK score.

A couple of thoughts. I don't understand what you mean by 17 putts and 1 3 putt = 55 points. Can you clarify?

And I would count the 20 footer as 15 feet for the putting stats. This is not counting putts - it is counting feet of putts made.

I read it last night and though it might be a tad confusing and wish I had changed it earlier, thanks for picking that up.
It is clearer if I had said 17 putts with only 1 3 putt = 55 feet in putts made, I was thinking of the feet as points. The 20 footer is from off the green so technically it is not a putt, thus the delima.
The putt from the fringe is why I say I had only 17 putts.

I played this morning. First off at 6:45, and greens were kind of wet/slow. Chipping was brutal because the grass around the greens was thick (bermuda) and very wet. At times it was hard to advance the ball 10 feet.

Anyway - to the putting. On the front I had 17 putts. I missed holing about 4 15 footers by a combined 1 foot (each was about 1 roll short...), and I did not come close to a 3 putt. I also only made 2 putts worth more than 2 feet, and those were only 3 feet. So a total of 20 feet for the front.

On the back I putted better as the greens dried out a bit. I had 13 putts. I made a 13 footer, a 7 footer, a 30 footer (which counts as 15 feet), and 2 3 footers. I also just burned the edge on another 7 footer. Anyway, all said and done I made 48 feet of putts on the back, for an overall total of 68 feet.

This puts me at about a 2 handicap for the putting round.

Without tracking this way, I would have said I putted "eh". But thinking back - on the front, even though I had 17 putts most were from a long distance and my lag distance control was excellent. Then making a few nice putts on the back actually adds up to a good day.

I am going to keep tracking this way - definitely takes all kinds of scenarios into account to give a good view of how you putted for the round.

Good job on the 68' of putts. I really like this new way of measuring. I think it really makes you want to make those long putts. Weird I know but I seem more focused than usual now that I am counting feet.

So we all agree to count the chip-ins as feet of putting, depending on the length with a max of 15'?

Good job on the 68' of putts. I really like this new way of measuring. I think it really makes you want to make those long putts. Weird I know but I seem more focused than usual now that I am counting feet.

So we all agree to count the chip-ins as feet of putting, depending on the length with a max of 15'?

No - I would not count a chip in as feet of putting. I would count that as 2 feet. Think of it as chipping to 1 inch of the hole, and then tapping in. You would count that as 2 feet. You only want to count the total feet when you use a putter.

Conversely, when you putt from the fringe and make a putt, add the total feet up to 15. And if you end up 3 putting, then you would subtract the 4 feet penalty from your total. We are not tracking "traditional" putting stats here, so for this exercise I count the first putt from the fringe towards the 3 putt penalty, if there is one.

No - I would not count a chip in as feet of putting. I would count that as 2 feet. Think of it as chipping to 1 inch of the hole, and then tapping in. You would count that as 2 feet. You only want to count the total feet when you use a putter.

Conversely, when you putt from the fringe and make a putt, add the total feet up to 15. And if you end up 3 putting, then you would subtract the 4 feet penalty from your total. We are not tracking "traditional" putting stats here, so for this exercise I count the first putt from the fringe towards the 3 putt penalty, if there is one.

Okay, got ya. I agree with that. I originally thought that a chip-in should be counted as 2' but thought you were saying count it as more. Now I understand that you mean a putt off fringe if made could be counted as a putt if made.

Had 29 putts today...that's not very typical

**I workabilitied that post using Tapatalk**

Played 10 holes this afternoon. I decided to walk in 94 degree heat in central Florida, not sure if that was the smartest decision! Anyway, results are:
Hole 1 - 10 footer for par, leave 6 inches short. - 2 feet
Hole 2 - 8 feet for par, pull slightly and hit edge but does not drop. - 2 feet
Hole 3 - 10 feet for par, 270* lip out. This one hurt. - 2 feet
Hole 4 - 20 feet for par, left it 1 foot short. - 2 feet
Hole 5 - 20 feet for birdie, burn left edge. - 2 feet
Hole 6 - 30 feet for par, 7 feet for bogey. Make it! - 7 feet
Hole 7 - 10 feet for par, center cut. - 10 feet
Hole 8 - 15 feet for birdie, hit it through break, 3 feet for par, make it. - 3 feet
Hole 9 - 7 feet for par, trickled in. - 7 feet.
Hole 10 - Bunker shot to 3 inches. - 2 feet.

For the 9 holes - 16 putts, 34 total feet. Not too bad. Once again, my distance control was pretty good. Only had 1 poor putt.

Was told by the boss that I couldn't leave the house today due to 5 kids running around in it. But I did get to carpet putt. I significantly changed ball position and I seem to be rolling the ball much better. Moved the ball from just in front of middle to just in line with my front foot. Gives me a little better peek at the line. I was definitely better with this set up doing some short putts. Need to work on it some more with the longer putts

I switched from my Nike method to an older odyssey 2 ball yesterday. I have played twice since then. My putting has improved a ton. I didn't count my putts, but it was lower than before.

Had 33 putts today. Missed two easy putts from less than 3' by rushing and not going through routine! Dang I know better than that. I was in a fun round with 3 other people and didn't keep # of feet putted so nothing to report there. Our greens are fuzzy and full of sand so I'm not too worried about my putting numbers right now. They were aerated last Thursday and should be rolling good by next week.

Played yesterday and kept track of total feet holed for the first time. Shot 79 with 11 GIR, 35 putts for 73' minus 12' for the three 3-putts for a 61' holed. That's also with 14 2' scores. Eerily, this matches almost exactly to the example in our guideline page.

Screen%20shot%202011-08-16%20at%204.49.57%20PM.PNG

Didn't break 30 this time, but now that seems less important than getting those 5, 10, and 15 footers to drop. Good day :D

Played yesterday and kept track of total feet holed for the first time. Shot 79 with 11 GIR, 35 putts for 73' minus 12' for the three 3-putts for a 61' holed. That's also with 14 2' scores. Eerily, this matches almost exactly to the example in our guideline page.

Screen%20shot%202011-08-16%20at%204.49.57%20PM.PNG

Didn't break 30 this time, but now that seems less important than getting those 5, 10, and 15 footers to drop. Good day :D

Wow, good job especially if you could take away those three putts!

Wow, good job especially if you could take away those three putts!

Definitely, especially since two of them were par 3's where I hit the green! :banghead:

Well, I was rollling a ton of putts today in my office, as I was totally checked out of work, and my stroke feels really good right now. Should be interesting once I get onto the Bermuda greens in Florida which I find to be very different from the Poa annua greens that we have here. We don't ever have to play grain in a putt, when the poa blooms in the afternoon or as the round goes on you have to know that the putts are going to slow down, but never grain. I didn't find the grain as tough as I thought I might in May, but it is another thing to think about. I'm not sure how much time I will have on THP between now and then, but you will be able to watch me putting to victory in the MOrgan Cup starting on Friday. I'll be the handsome one!

Well, I was rollling a ton of putts today in my office, as I was totally checked out of work, and my stroke feels really good right now. Should be interesting once I get onto the Bermuda greens in Florida which I find to be very different from the Poa annua greens that we have here. We don't ever have to play grain in a putt, when the poa blooms in the afternoon or as the round goes on you have to know that the putts are going to slow down, but never grain. I didn't find the grain as tough as I thought I might in May, but it is another thing to think about. I'm not sure how much time I will have on THP between now and then, but you will be able to watch me putting to victory in the MOrgan Cup starting on Friday. I'll be the handsome one!

Compared to the crowd you'll be hanging with there, that's very possible :D

Sic' em Breeze!

Good luck CB. I've got some wagers on you!

Back