Journey to Average 30 Putts per Round.

Well I went to the range yesterday for about 3 hours. I worked on my woods, irons and wedges for about an hour and then my short game for two hours, just chipping and putting. First I just worked on chipping to different flags around the green, I do think that my putts would be much lower if my chipping was better, then I just worked on my putting. Finally I put it all together, and got out 6 Penta's and played a game. I picked a flag and then had to get 4 or 6 balls up and down. Once I did it, I could move on to another flag, and I had to get up down 4 of 6 times on every flag on the green before I could leave. It took me a full hour to do this, but I did it. Believe me, there is some pressure on a 4 footer that allows you to go home after you have been playing the game for an hour.

Now that's what I call a good practice session. WTG!

Now that's what I call a good practice session. WTG!

Thanks KB, I do feel I'm a good putter, but I've come to the realization lately that scrambling is what is really poor right now. If I put my chip 20 feet from the hole, then yes I'm probably going to 2 putt. Put it within 8 feet and I probably can one putt.

I'm sure I've had worse rounds than that on really tough courses. Starting over may be a good way to gain your confidence back. I think playing different courses all the time makes it tough too. At least it does for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hehe.

Those courses have very severe greens but a decent putter would have done better. I wish i could play on hard fast greens more often. In fairness,the guys i played with were even worse! I had been considering going back to basics on putting for quiet a while but deluded myself that it was getting better. So, under the assumption that it can not be any worse, I am starting afres

OK, now I have gone and done it. I played today and tracked the putts using the formula method. 17 putts with one 3 putt = 55 points, what about the missing putt? I sank a putt from the fringe about 20 feet away, is that a zero, is it a 15 or just what is it. 55 divided by 17 equals approximately 3.25 is that what you use? I don't see anything on the pdf linked that addresses this.

http://www.syncgolfacademy.com/pdf/Sanders_dec.pdf

31 putts for me today. I had 1 3-putt which really ticked me off as it was from about 25 feet, I left the first putt about 8 feet short which was just horrible and then missed that putt. Take out the 3-putt and I'm at 30 putts, so that would have been nice.

OK, now I have gone and done it. I played today and tracked the putts using the formula method. 17 putts with one 3 putt = 55 points, what about the missing putt? I sank a putt from the fringe about 20 feet away, is that a zero, is it a 15 or just what is it. 55 divided by 17 equals approximately 3.25 is that what you use? I don't see anything on the pdf linked that addresses this.

I was wondering the same thing. I am thinking it's a 2 footer but I'm not sure.

I shot a 78 today from the forward tees. It was all because of my short game!!!

I had eight saves for par or birdie from off the green.

6 GIRS
27 putts for a total of 56 feet (longest putt made was 7' - missed making a 15' by a hair, it sat on the lip and I thought it was going to drop)

Practice is paying off big time!

BTW, the other day I spent 2 hours working on chips and figuring out my distances with each iron from a 6i to SW using the same putting type stroke. I made a little cheat sheet to tell me which club to use for what distance. MAGIC!

I was wondering the same thing. I am thinking it's a 2 footer but I'm not sure.

I shot a 78 today from the forward tees. It was all because of my short game!!!

I had eight saves for par or birdie from off the green.

6 GIRS
27 putts for a total of 56 feet

Practice is paying off big time!

BTW, the other day I spent 2 hours working on chips and figuring out my distances with each iron from a 6i to SW using the same putting type stroke. I made a little cheat sheet to tell me which club to use for what distance. MAGIC!

78 is a great round KB, I knew you would hit the course today, lol.
That's why I carry 3 or 4 clubs with me to chip, I pretty well know what I need to cover the various distances with different trajectories.

78 is a great round KB, I knew you would hit the course today, lol.
That's why I carry 3 or 4 clubs with me to chip, I pretty well know what I need to cover the various distances with different trajectories.

You know me too well! I tried to rest my tired old body but I got too bored with OG out of town. I got all the housework done and hit the course about 4pm. I planned to work on bunkers but we had a good downpour right before I got there so that gave me an excuse to play instead of hit out of wet bunkers.

So are you going to count that chip in as 2' or 15'? I think 2' because 15' would make it look like you made a 15' putt and 0 would not give you credit at all. Write the guy who came up with the system and ask. :)

My first impulse is to count it as 2' because if it had been a really good lag for a kick in putt it would have been 2'. I know you cannot just discount it as a person could hole out from the fringe multiple times for birdie or eagle and shoot something like 66 and if they made no long putts other than those it would look like their putting needed a lot of work. That would be far from the truth.

My first impulse is to count it as 2' because if it had been a really good lag for a kick in putt it would have been 2'. I know you cannot just discount it as a person could hole out from the fringe multiple times for birdie or eagle and shoot something like 66 and if they made no long putts other than those it would look like their putting needed a lot of work. That would be far from the truth.

Yep, that seems to be the only flaw with this system. Otherwise, I think it is great.

Found out something today. I was not rocking my shoulders when I putted. I guess I was all arms. Started really concentrating on rocking the shoulders and my contact was far better.

Found out something today. I was not rocking my shoulders when I putted. I guess I was all arms. Started really concentrating on rocking the shoulders and my contact was far better.

I am doing better with that since my instructor changed my setup on putts. He shortened my putter to 32" and made me bend over more so my arms hang down in line with the putter. He said it promoted more of a shoulder swing - gives you more room to swing naturally instead of being handsy.

Here's an article and picture that I found that pretty much says the same thing he told me.

http://www.pgatour.com/2008/tourlife/instruction/02/05/simpleputting/index.html

putting1.jpg

It has definitely helped me. I hope it helps you too Chunky!!

Good find Cl, I find that I tend to try to make shorter putts using my arms and then I will begin to miss them like crazy. Sticking with the basics is always best.

Good find Cl, I find that I tend to try to make shorter putts using my arms and then I will begin to miss them like crazy. Sticking with the basics is always best.

I went out to a nine hole city course here today and putted better. No three putts, four one putts, two others left short right in the heart of the hole. Maybe the turn around is started.

Played 18 today and shot 87.

Differential: 10 (basically played to a 10 hc)
Putts: 39
Ft made: 64'
3 putts: 4 (-24')
40' total made puts me at a 25hc

Not sure if the system should be that off. I'll continue to keep track the next few rounds though and see what's up.

Not sure if the system should be that off. I'll continue to keep track the next few rounds though and see what's up.

How many GIRs did you hit? That is brutal to take 24 feet off your distance.

A couple of thoughts. I don't understand what you mean by 17 putts and 1 3 putt = 55 points. Can you clarify?

And I would count the 20 footer as 15 feet for the putting stats. This is not counting putts - it is counting feet of putts made.

Agreed - I would count it as 2 feet. If you had left the chip on the edge, that is how you would count it.

I believe you made a mistake in your math. A 3 putt is worth -4 feet. 4 of them is -16 feet, not -24 feet. So your total = 48 feet, or about an 18 handicap putting day. Which based on 39 putts seems about right to me.

How many GIRs did you hit? That is brutal to take 24 feet off your distance.

I hit 10 girs.
I also made a math error. Supposed to subtract 16' for 4 3-putts not 24'. So I made 48' of putts and that would be the equivalent of a 19ish hc. Still a little off.

I hit 10 girs.
I also made a math error. Supposed to subtract 16' for 4 3-putts not 24'. So I made 48' of putts and that would be the equivalent of a 19ish hc. Still a little off.

I think it's unusual for someone with a 7.5 handicap to make 4 3-putts though. If you get rid of those, you will really knock some strokes off your game. Your GIR numbers are great.

I played this morning. First off at 6:45, and greens were kind of wet/slow. Chipping was brutal because the grass around the greens was thick (bermuda) and very wet. At times it was hard to advance the ball 10 feet.

Anyway - to the putting. On the front I had 17 putts. I missed holing about 4 15 footers by a combined 1 foot (each was about 1 roll short...), and I did not come close to a 3 putt. I also only made 2 putts worth more than 2 feet, and those were only 3 feet. So a total of 20 feet for the front.

On the back I putted better as the greens dried out a bit. I had 13 putts. I made a 13 footer, a 7 footer, a 30 footer (which counts as 15 feet), and 2 3 footers. I also just burned the edge on another 7 footer. Anyway, all said and done I made 48 feet of putts on the back, for an overall total of 68 feet.

This puts me at about a 2 handicap for the putting round.

Without tracking this way, I would have said I putted "eh". But thinking back - on the front, even though I had 17 putts most were from a long distance and my lag distance control was excellent. Then making a few nice putts on the back actually adds up to a good day.

I am going to keep tracking this way - definitely takes all kinds of scenarios into account to give a good view of how you putted for the round.

I played 2 holes yesterday, I had 2 GIR and 3 putts. good day I suppose, but pretty small sample. I then went to the short game practice area and played my up and down game for a while with my wife and son. It sounds so freaking obvious but spending extra time just with my chipping and putting has helped my game a ton. Its not about the technique for me, but just the feel of the different shots.

I hit 10 girs.

What is a little off? Are you saying the conversion to the 19 handicap equivalent putting or just how you putted?

Back