Journey to Average 30 Putts per Round.

I had a rough putting day yesterday. I had 20 putts during my 9 hole league match. I even had 4 3 putts. All of the 3 putts came from going after a 10-15 ft birdie putt. I was burning the edges, but would leave me a long putt for par.

Does anybody else have this problem going after putts at this length and how do you fix this problem?

Does anybody else have this problem going after putts at this length and how do you fix this problem?

I used to have this problem, then I stopped thinking about them as birdie putts. No matter where I'm putting from I always try to hit it just hard enough to go 6-8 inches past the hole (unless a big mover, then I try to die it in). On birdie and eagle putts I used to be aggressive and started getting 3 putt bogies, so stopped treating them as special.

REALLY? You don't say! Ok, tomorrow at work I will ask Yorkem if he would be willing to let me pay for him and watch him. He seems to be the best putter in the office!!!

:banana: (yeah, don't know why, and it probably doesn't fit here... I just love the dancing banana)

I am always willing to let someone pay for my round

Yesterday was about the worst putting number ever with 17/19, yet I was putting really well. The pins were all set on ridges, some with big drop offs that you had to make or else and others on hard to see crests that didn't stand a chance of going in unless you came at it from the perfect side. Thats not a test of skill as much as temper.

i dream of 30 putts per round.. im actually happy with 36. got bob rotellas putting out of your mind book so will see how that helps..

Yesterday was about the worst putting number ever with 17/19, yet I was putting really well. The pins were all set on ridges, some with big drop offs that you had to make or else and others on hard to see crests that didn't stand a chance of going in unless you came at it from the perfect side. Thats not a test of skill as much as temper.

I know those days well Duey, super trying on anyone as a golfer, but, sometimes the course wins more than usual on the green lol

9 holes or 18? 2 weeks ago I shot 74 with 34 putts, 21 putts gets me to 61. I guess I know what to work on.
It was for 18. It was my best putting round. I just need a full swing to go with it. Ugh.

It was for 18. It was my best putting round. I just need a full swing to go with it. Ugh.

Sean, 21 is freaking-psycho-crazy-awesome. Holy crap!

For my summer holidays I've been tracking a lot of stats including putts per round. I currently average 30 and to me that's okay, however it doesn't tell the whole story. Take an example where I have 18 putts in a round (if only!), I could hit 0% of greens and up and down every time or I could hit 100% of greens and have 18 birdies! Need to be able to get up and down by chipping close and getting it in the hole! But also keep up the one putts by knocking approaches close. Regardless pars are always good and some of my best rounds have come when I've had >30 putts but hit loads of greens! No one stat tells all but greens and putts together is a good indicator!

Good luck! :)

I had a rough putting day yesterday. I had 20 putts during my 9 hole league match. I even had 4 3 putts. All of the 3 putts came from going after a 10-15 ft birdie putt. I was burning the edges, but would leave me a long putt for par.

All putts are made equal! :p it's just a shot, same as a 330 yard drive! :p

I did it! 29 putts today. and only hit 4 greens. Eight 1-putts, and only one 3-putt (horseshoe). The one's I missed were on pace, just barely off line. Shot 83 today, so that gives you some idea how poor my ballstriking was. Distance on my irons was solid, but I only hit 2 fairways the entire round. Very happy with my scrambling. Now I know it can be done!

I did it! 29 putts today. and only hit 4 greens. Eight 1-putts, and only one 3-putt (horseshoe). The one's I missed were on pace, just barely off line. Shot 83 today, so that gives you some idea how poor my ballstriking was. Distance on my irons was solid, but I only hit 2 fairways the entire round. Very happy with my scrambling. Now I know it can be done!

Congrats! I always see Dr. Seuss when I see your name! haha

Wonderful job! There is hope for us all. We can do this. I have to play on bent grass greens this afternoon with my instructor. That should humble me quickly.

Wonderful job! There is hope for us all. We can do this. I have to play on bent grass greens this afternoon with my instructor. That should humble me quickly.

Good luck with the lesson today KB, I personally enjoy putting on Bent, the ball rolls very true normally.

Did anyone look at the link I posted a few days ago about an alternative way to measure your putting effectiveness? It takes out the variables of GIRs/chips/etc. I thought this would be a more effective way for everyone to compare their putting to each other and to track improvements.

Did anyone look at the link I posted a few days ago about an alternative way to measure your putting effectiveness? It takes out the variables of GIRs/chips/etc. I thought this would be a more effective way for everyone to compare their putting to each other and to track improvements.

My instructor has a sheet that he gave me to practice putting. He says he's not so much interested in number of putts per round either. He wants to know how many putts from this distance I made, etc. It's the only true way to know if you're a good putter or just a good chipper. It would take some extra effort to keep those stats but that is definitely the better way to go.

My instructor has a sheet that he gave me to practice putting. He says he's not so much interested in number of putts per round either. He wants to know how many putts from this distance I made, etc. It's the only true way to know if you're a good putter or just a good chipper. It would take some extra effort to keep those stats but that is definitely the better way to go.

I agree too. I had tracked my stats this way awhile back, but for some reason got away from it. I am going to be diligent and do so again.

got out for a quick round this morning before i leave for a hockey tourney this weekend.... anyway i had 34 putts today 4 1 putts, 2 3 putts... but i know my putting is getting better i burned the edge on SO many putts today i actually was laughing about it by the last hole... id say another 7 or 8 i just missed but easy tap ins after. it is nice seeing all your hard work start to pay off... my chipping was really good today and had me scrambling to save a few pars and even put me in tap in range for a birdie. Putting lesson is wednesday so hopefully i get that inch better so i start draining those ones i just missed today... have a great weekend everyone and keep up the hard work it will pay off!!!!

I have had as few as 11 putts in 9 holes but 21 for 18 is just phenomenal. Great job. Share some of that magic with me will ya? Seriously I have days where I am on 11 of 14 fairways and hit 14 or 15 GIRs and still take 35 or more putts for mid 70s scoring. If I could putt I could really play is what I always say.

Yesterday was another saga in the life of TheDue and his putter, haha. Started out with a pre-league round of 38 with 11 putts, man was I stoked. The greens were lightning fast and true, I felt like everything was going in, even made a chip in that was just money all the way with a putting stroke. Then turned in a 40 during league with 17 putts? Where the heck did that come from? Tee to green was solid and the putting stroke was there, just not dropping.

7 GIR
32 putts (16,16)
3 - 3 putts (not beating myself up too bad since they just aerated yesterday but STILL too many)

Nice putting KB, 32 putts is not bad, just not quite what your goal is. Keep up the good work and the scores will continue to get better.

I have had as few as 11 putts in 9 holes but 21 for 18 is just phenomenal. Great job. Share some of that magic with me will ya? Seriously I have days where I am on 11 of 14 fairways and hit 14 or 15 GIRs and still take 35 or more putts for mid 70s scoring. If I could putt I could really play is what I always say.
Fortunately I get to putt on very fast greens that role true. I don't know if I would putt so well on slow greens. I have a very light grip and putt with my shoulders. I played nine today and had 12 putts.

That all said, I still struggle a lot with the full swing.

Back