Journey to Break 85

Hey Redlyne for awhile I was playing Superstition Springs. Now I just kind of wander. Last few courses I've play have been Ken McDonald, Dobson Ranch, Vistal, and some other course in the West Valley haha.

Did you like Ken McDonald and Dobson Ranch? Those are on my list to play. I mostly play Ahwatukee CC/Lakes, and Kokopelli. I played AZ Grand for the first time today for $19 and was impressed.

Loved them both! Dobson Ranch is a lot of fun. So is Ken McDonald. The #11 tee is my favorite. Just a really long teebox with power lines in your way haha. A little intimidating but a lot of fun.

I love Kokopelli. My dad does too. One of his favorites. It usually in good shape when I've played. AZ Grand is fun too! My buddy loves that course lol.

Did you like Ken McDonald and Dobson Ranch? Those are on my list to play. I mostly play Ahwatukee CC/Lakes, and Kokopelli. I played AZ Grand for the first time today for $19 and was impressed.

Well, after 4 days off I decided to hit the range yesterday for some work and club testing. My big concern after last weekend was the wicked hooks I was hitting. I had a feeling that I knew what was going on, but wasn't sure. I wasn't planning on another lesson until next week, so I was hoping to see the hooks go away.

Got the Vision Track set up to start off with and hit about 10 thin shots before I got loosened up. Then I really got into it and it was like I was back to my normal self again. Well, my new normal self. My old normal self hit a fade. This normal self hits a high draw. Like really high. I was able to hook a few, but concentrated on not bringing the club back so far inside and it was fixed.

Continuing to see decent distance, especially with the irons. I'd like to get a little more out of my driver, but for now I'm just happy that I'm getting a trajectory and flight path that works for me. Looking forward to getting out on the course again, but it's looking like it might be a little while. Family reunion this weekend and I'm not sure that I'll be able to get the clubs out. Lame.

You're keeping the break 85 hope alive dude. I need to make a video for this thread because I'm too lazy to type lol.

Good work and I'm glad you were able to pick up back up after a few days off. Thats a true test.

Glad you got things worked out on the range Hawk. I'd love to have the high draw with my irons, but, instead, i hit my irons on fairly low trajectory.

Have either of you tried out the Vision Track? That thing is a little gift from heaven.

I have not dude. I don't even know what one looks like I don't think. I'd love to know more though.

Have either of you tried out the Vision Track? That thing is a little gift from heaven.

med_vision_track_player.jpg

Your swing coach Thainer introduced it to us, I believe. You use one straight piece for alignment, one for a guide on how far to stand from the ball, and the diagonal to show you the correct path on both your backswing and downswing. You put the ball at the end of the diagonal piece.

It is ridiculously easy to use. I also use it as just an alignment aid b/c it can be folded up into one peice. For some reason, I can't hit the ball anywhere but straight ahead on the range. The ropes really mess with my head.

Holy crap, thanks Hawk. Set up is my biggest problem right now. I'll be looking at this asap.

med_vision_track_player.jpg

Your swing coach Thainer introduced it to us, I believe. You use one straight piece for alignment, one for a guide on how far to stand from the ball, and the diagonal to show you the correct path on both your backswing and downswing. You put the ball at the end of the diagonal piece.

It is ridiculously easy to use. I also use it as just an alignment aid b/c it can be folded up into one peice. For some reason, I can't hit the ball anywhere but straight ahead on the range. The ropes really mess with my head.

Holy crap, thanks Hawk. Set up is my biggest problem right now. I'll be looking at this asap.

Seriously dude. The only ony drawback is you have to hit your irons off the actual plastic, which is sort of a false way to hit a gof ball. Like a mat, basically. However, I usually start my session with it to get the feeling I'm looking for and then I fold it up and just use it like an alignment stick while I hit off the grass. It is amazing how well I can hit the driver after using it.

One thing I've found is that I was way too far from the ball with most of my clubs. Not that you are too. Just what I found out.

I feel like I am though Hawk. I really hate setting up to the ball to be honest. I've heard 30 different ways to line up to the ball and all of them are different. This would be perfect. Thank you for sharing man.

Seriously dude. The only ony drawback is you have to hit your irons off the actual plastic, which is sort of a false way to hit a gof ball. Like a mat, basically. However, I usually start my session with it to get the feeling I'm looking for and then I fold it up and just use it like an alignment stick while I hit off the grass. It is amazing how well I can hit the driver after using it.

One thing I've found is that I was way too far from the ball with most of my clubs. Not that you are too. Just what I found out.

Check it out. I doubt it will do much more than reinforce the correct way to set up and swing for you. It's just a great tool for getting yourself back to the correct motions if you've strayed from them.

I left work a little early and played golf. 6,471 - 70.5/126. A bit longer than I like, but I was grouped with some other guys and they probably would have been weirded out if I'd played the Golds.

Anyway, today was one of those milestones I guess. I shot at 87 - 42/45. I know I've shot lower scores, but this is the first one under 90 on a normal length course. Just one of those days where it seems so easy. I should have broke 85 by a long shot. 39 (YES, you read that right) putts. 8 GIR/10 GAIR. Left a few very makeable birdie putts on the course, including one 4 footer on a par 3 that I stuck real close.

Driver was hot, hybrids and irons were hot. Putter was not. No sand problems, only a couple 'bad' shots. Some not great ones, but the chunks/hooks/slices were held at bay today. I feel like I can play golf. That's three decent scores in 7 days. Yay.

I knew it would happen, but I sort of doubted it at times. We've talked about this, Yoccos, but I think people should know this isn't a thread about breaking 85. It's just a thread about our journeys to get better. That's why we ramble, share tips, cheer for each other, and offer condolences haha. Thanks for listening and hopefully this is the first step towards the next hurdle. Hopefully 84 will come soon and then, who know? I'm just glad that I can say I dont' totally suck. I've put a ton of pressure on myself and I feel like a little weight's been lifted today.

I left work a little early and played golf. 6,471 - 70.5/126. A bit longer than I like, but I was grouped with some other guys and they probably would have been weirded out if I'd played the Golds.

Anyway, today was one of those milestones I guess. I shot at 87 - 42/45. I know I've shot lower scores, but this is the first one under 90 on a normal length course. Just one of those days where it seems so easy. I should have broke 85 by a long shot. 39 (YES, you read that right) putts. 8 GIR/10 GAIR. Left a few very makeable birdie putts on the course, including one 4 footer on a par 3 that I stuck real close.

Driver was hot, hybrids and irons were hot. Putter was not. No sand problems, only a couple 'bad' shots. Some not great ones, but the chunks/hooks/slices were held at bay today. I feel like I can play golf. That's three decent scores in 7 days. Yay.

I knew it would happen, but I sort of doubted it at times. We've talked about this, Yoccos, but I think people should know this isn't a thread about breaking 85. It's just a thread about our journeys to get better. That's why we ramble, share tips, cheer for each other, and offer condolences haha. Thanks for listening and hopefully this is the first step towards the next hurdle. Hopefully 84 will come soon and then, who know? I'm just glad that I can say I dont' totally suck. I've put a ton of pressure on myself and I feel like a little weight's been lifted today.

Hawk, I freaking love this post and congrats! I haven't posted a lot in this thread but I've been reading every post and each time I see you or Yoccos post in this thread I hope that you did it. Congrats on the score today buddy, 87 from that length is a great score, especially since you had 39 putts! 85 is just a number that you will break this summer I have no doubt, but you know if you are playing better and it sounds like you are on your way man.

Hawk, I freaking love this post and congrats! I haven't posted a lot in this thread but I've been reading every post and each time I see you or Yoccos post in this thread I hope that you did it. Congrats on the score today buddy, 87 from that length is a great score, especially since you had 39 putts! 85 is just a number that you will break this summer I have no doubt, but you know if you are playing better and it sounds like you are on your way man.

Thanks, cb! I was tempted to say I wish id shot better, but f it. This is good enough for today. I shot a 120 at the very first outing in April 2010. I have learned so much since then and THP is a HUGE part of that.

As for posting here, you are always welcome. You can post your own thoughts too. We are honestly surprised anybody even reads it hehe.

Posted via Tapatalk

So, who is the new guy I'm seeing around here?

Yoccosminus1981? Sounds like an alright dude.

I got rid of the rainbow sig. Maybe the new guy will like me now.

Anyway, I suck at lag putting. Like badly. The other day I hit quite a few greens, but most of the time I had pretty long putts. I seem to be leaving a TON of putts short. Even worse than One-T short, I'm afraid. Any tips you've used for that?

My plan is to practice them, which should help, but am open to suggestions. I've really neglected my putting lately as my time is limited and I wanted to work on the swing.

Anyway, I suck at lag putting. Like badly. The other day I hit quite a few greens, but most of the time I had pretty long putts. I seem to be leaving a TON of putts short. Even worse than One-T short, I'm afraid. Any tips you've used for that?

My plan is to practice them, which should help, but am open to suggestions. I've really neglected my putting lately as my time is limited and I wanted to work on the swing.

funny that I am the first one to respond to you

Man, I dont take a practice stroke and I keep my head down for 3 seconds after I hit the ball. That helps with my lag putting a ton. One other thing you can try is get behind the ball and act like you are rolling a ball under hand to the hole. That should give you a feel of how hard to hit it.

I will try that. I'll try anything, tbh. I was seriously doing my best impression of JB's impression of the belbs.

1) Putt from 20 feet to 10 feet
2) Putt from 10 feet to 2
3) Pray that it goes in
4) Drag putt if neccessary (just kidding)

Man, I dont take a practice stroke and I keep my head down for 3 seconds after I hit the ball. That helps with my lag putting a ton. One other thing you can try is get behind the ball and act like you are rolling a ball under hand to the hole. That should give you a feel of how hard to hit it.

That other guy was a dueche!

So, who is the new guy I'm seeing around here?

Yoccosminus1981? Sounds like an alright dude.

He loves you dude! One T has some great advice below. I just didnt want you to think I didnt love ya. Seriously, I don't take a practice stroke and it helps more than it hurts as long as you have a feel for the greens ahead of time. I also heard a really good time, that the right hand should really be the one you use to move the putter. I just use my left as a guide now and it helps a lot.

Drag putt is totally legal in AZ if you ever wanna come otu. haha, I thought I quoted Ike but I guess I didnt.

I will try that. I'll try anything, tbh. I was seriously doing my best impression of JB's impression of the belbs.

1) Putt from 20 feet to 10 feet
2) Putt from 10 feet to 2
3) Pray that it goes in
4) Drag putt if neccessary (just kidding)

I feel you on the 'focusing on swing and putting sucks now.' The past 12 days, I've done little practice other than the new driver swing. So, in a 4 person scramble this weekend, I hit the driver well. Really well. I'm pretty sure we used my drive on 11 holes (out of 14 driver holes). But, I couldn't hit an iron shot, chip, or putt. Unfortunately, that was how it was for the rest of the group. We all hit spectacular drives, but couldn't hit an approach shot or putt to save our lives.

As for short putts (about 5 feet and closer), I love around the world or the ladder drill.

Yoccos, is it possible that you and I are finally both making some real progress after a short lesson??

Me with an 87 and you with an 85. We rock! Congrats on a great score, dude!

Crazy I was about to say this exact thing and it has help my putting a ton! I stand behind the ball and imagine the feeling in my left hand (Your guys right hand) of how hard I would need to roll the ball to the hole, once I'm comfortable with that feeling, I step up to the ball, no practice strokes, one last look at the hole, and make a stroke, and I don't look up for at least 3 seconds as one-t said. I got this lesson about 2 months ago from a pro and it has really helped me.

Hawk, I feel like an @ss for completely missing this post. I'm so happy to see this post. That's a fantastic score and a long course dude. Wow! So happy you're at a place that this feels natural because from what I saw of you at the outing, you have all the tools. Great job Ryan.

I will do this for sure. Lately, I have been getting set-up and then I let my mind take over. Thinking and swinging/putting are the basically incompatible.

Back