Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
These will be out soon and Mizuno just made them public. Thoughts?

Strengthening the already successful JPX iron line, Mizuno introduces the JPX-800HD Combo Iron Set. This new iron set utilizes the distance-generating JPX technologies of Hot Metal and MAX COR to deliver the explosive distance that all players crave. Maximum forgiveness and an easy, high launch and ball flight are achieved through an innovative set make up which includes Mizuno's new Hybrid DLR (Direct Long iron Replacement), the JPX FLI-HI, in the #4 and #5. These Hybrid DLR's are combined with the lowest and deepest COG (Center Of Gravity)iron design ever in the #6-GW, to create a set make-up that will help players succeed more often on the golf course. In addition, to better match the miss-hit pattern of super game-improvement players, the JPX-800HD irons feature strategic low-heel, high-toe weighting to deliver the largest effective sweet area ever. These irons will help you hit the ball farther, straighter, and higher so that you score better.

MZ1500_im_____0_gsi

Mizuno is definitely appealing to a segment of the market with this introduction, that's for sure.

hmm they will help me hit it higher, longer and score better? Sounds like a winner to me. I did like the JPX-800 line.

Taylormade puts out too many clubs!

I like the hybrid sets, but I didn't love the JPX hybrid. Interested to see how these perform.

I like the market they are going towards but they aren't the prettiest clubs in my eyes.

Aesthetically I do not like them at all.

From a playability perspective, I really like the iron sets that offer a 3/4 hybrid as many players get after market hybrids in place of those long irons.

Question is: how do the set hybrids compare against the after market hybrids? That is what will make/break a SGI set like this IMO.

This is more appealing to me. I like the idea.

Umm hasn't Mizuno released more irons in the past year than in the previous couple combined.

That said I like the direction of these, with the MX1000's going offline I think these will fill a gap nicely. I always like the looks of their clubs, it just appeals to me somehow.

• Admin
I love the look. Guy up at GG today told me that he used to sell 4 sets a week earlier this year of mizunos

I like them. Theyre kind of like an updated version of the MX-100. They definetly arent the prettiest clubs in the world but forgiving clubs usually arent the nicest clubs from an ascetics standpoint.
I look forward to demoing them in the near future.

Being that I have the 800s, the hyrbrid's have serious appeal to me... I'd love to give them a try. The looks are quite similar to my current set so the looks are not something I'm concerned with in a negative way.

I've been a long time fan of Mizuno and I'd definitely give these a test run if I were in the market for new Irons, though the Hybrids absolutely have my attention and I'm curious if they'll offer them ala carte....

I have the 800s now and if these were the set that was out at the time I was shopping there would be ZERO chance of my buying these. I like long irons and would have never even purchased a hybrid if my current 800s came with a 3 iron. A 3 hybrid will be as far as I go until I get significantly older.

I would try these. The looks don't really bother me, but it IS only a picture.

They look sweet, we don't have to many stores around here that sell Mizuno.

Interesting. Might be a good move for Mizuno, since a lot of people still seem to see Mizuno as a 'better player' brand. Might tempt a few SGI players as a bit of an ego boost, and get them into Mizuno as a brand.

Great looking clubs.
I've never had the opportunity to hit any Mizzys, but these look like some decent clubs.
Are these targeted towards the mid-handicap players?

I am a Mizuno fan but have not seen anything in the JPX line appeals to me.

Honest question for Mizuno fans.
For years their marketing has been geared towards the fact that forging is a better process.
That their irons feel better than others.
In recent years, they have added some cast sets and this set is as well (for obvious reasons)
Do you think that hurts them in their marketing of these GI clubs?

I think it may hurt just a little, but I also think that it will help sell more of their forged lines in the long run.
I liken the cast sets to training wheels on a kids bike.

For years their marketing has been geared towards the fact that forging is a better process.
In recent years, they have added some cast sets and this set is as well (for obvious reasons)

I've never hit any before this year but when they've always been marketed as the best feeling irons available I was ecstatic when they had clubs available in my category when I was shopping for irons. I couldn't be happier with the JPX 800s.

I would say no simply because I think they are reaching a completely seperate market, or demographic. Even those who bite at this from their own market will be happy if they can achieve what they say they can do. I find it interesting that they advertize:

These Hybrid DLR's are combined with the lowest and deepest COG (Center Of Gravity)iron design ever in the #6-GW

Can they really prove this if anyone pulls a Titelist on them?

not sure how i feel about these, i liked the JPX 800 Pros when I hit them but there wasnt much difference between my MX 300 so I didnt switch when they came out, would have to see how the hybrid in this set looks/hits before i judge any further. Not a big fan so far by the pick though

That's a fair question and I think they need to be careful with their offerings in this respect. At the moment, they win in a marketing respect, if they can play down the 'forged' argument, and retain the 'feel better' side. But how long will this last, and does it hurt the other way with their forged offerings?
I think they're sending mixed signals right now, and starting to clutter their lineup with too many offerings, forged or not. Their perceived exclusivity could really suffer.

Reactions: JB
That's a fair question and I think they need to be careful with their offerings in this respect. At the moment, they win in a marketing respect, if they can play down the 'forged' argument, and retain the 'feel better' side. But how long will this last, and does it hurt the other way with their forged offerings?
I think they're sending mixed signals right now, and starting to clutter their lineup with too many offerings, forged or not. Their perceived exclusivity could really suffer.

This is a great post.

Back