Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons

Honest question for Mizuno fans.
For years their marketing has been geared towards the fact that forging is a better process.
That their irons feel better than others.
In recent years, they have added some cast sets and this set is as well (for obvious reasons)
Do you think that hurts them in their marketing of these GI clubs?

Personally I don't think it hurts them but it likely doesn't help. Ping is looking at the opposite problem moving into the forged market. I like seeing Mizuno reach out to a larger audience but I do think they are putting out too many clubs. I think if they spent some more on marketing a smaller selection they would get a lot better results. For instance I think the JPX 800 vs. the JPX pro's is a great example. Out of the two I think the "hot metal" technology makes the 800 the better set but I am sure some golfers will play the 800 pro because it is forged. To me they need to focus on the success Luke Donald is having. Mizuno has some great You Tube clips with Luke Donald hitting some 800's and saying something like "why don't I have these in my bag", these are they kind of commercials that would get average golfers hitting the clubs. If they can get people in the stores hitting the clubs the shaft optimizer can help close the deal.

I think you all are reading too much into this. Mizuno has a rep as great feeling irons. The JPXs still feel amazing even if they are cast. I went iron shopping before I joined this site and before gained a little bit more knowledge; nevertheless, I was truly excited to know Mizuno had irons that were in my category. I also expect that as my game progresses and I shop for a better irons that Mizuno also has irons that will suit my game as it improves and, quite possibly, improves enough to play their forged lineup.

I think you all are reading too much into this. Mizuno has a rep as great feeling irons. The JPXs still feel amazing even if they are cast. I went iron shopping before I joined this site and before gained a little bit more knowledge; nevertheless, I was truly excited to know Mizuno had irons that were in my category. I also expect that as my game progresses and I shop for a better irons that Mizuno also has irons that will suit my game as it improves and, quite possibly, improves enough to their forged lineup.

They sure do. They have also spent the last 2 decades discussing how forging is a better process to create great feel than casting.
Im not knocking the clubs. As you can see in my reviews, I like them quite a bit, but when it comes to the marketing side of things, that is what sparks my interest.

If Mizuno keeps it up I may just have to try a set of these out. Very nice looking clubs there!

JB will these be at the outing for 2012?

JB will these be at the outing for 2012?

My guess would be yes. Although based on the last year, 8 months from now, we might have 6 more sets by then...hehe

so true

Eww, they look ugly to me. Plus, I love hitting long irons.

They aren't the prettiest clubs I've seen, but if I hit em higher, longer and score better, then I'd give em a shot!

I would hit them, and if it did everything they say it does I would game them. I find the cavity, I little crazy looking but in person it is probably better looking.

I do not like green eggs and ham:mizuno:

I personally like the looks of these Irons. I actually played a set of MP-63 for a couple of rounds, But they were not quite as forgiving for my liking!

For years their marketing has been geared towards the fact that forging is a better process.
In recent years, they have added some cast sets and this set is as well (for obvious reasons)
Not at all. Cast and forged both have the advantages and distadvantages. You can make the clubface thinner by casting it, so it has more of a trampoline effect and it helps people who could use a little more distance. Its much easier to do this with a casting than a forging because with the casting the metal is molten, so its easier to get thinner tolorances. With a forging its difficult to get the same thinness when you are pounding malleable metal into the shape you want.
Mizuno has never said that cast is bad or that cast clubs are junk. They have definetly marketed on the feel of forged clubs but they have also been making cast clubs since the mid '70s. Theres plenty of room in their lineup for both cast and forged irons.

I think these are ugly but if they work who am I to judge.

I loved the feel of the jpx line- curious how their hybrid plays. I'm just not a hybrid player, crazy. Sucks bc everyone says they're so easy to hit haha, like cheating, but I hit irons better.

Anyways- I'm a believer the mizunos irons have some of th best feel on the market. I am curious to hit theirs.

Seems similar to the MX 100s. I like these irons a lot. Was wondering if Mizuno would continue with a combo set, glad they are.

To answer your question JB I don't think these clubs being cast will play a role for a potential buyer unless they know just enough to know very little. Some of the sweetest irons I have ever hit were the MX1000s and those are cast. If not for the huge price tag at the time I would have bought the 1000s.

I think you're right....in trying to appeal to another market (cast v. forge) they may be diluting their product and image a bit. But I like that they're trying to offer other styles of clubs

That's a fair question and I think they need to be careful with their offerings in this respect. At the moment, they win in a marketing respect, if they can play down the 'forged' argument, and retain the 'feel better' side. But how long will this last, and does it hurt the other way with their forged offerings?
I think they're sending mixed signals right now, and starting to clutter their lineup with too many offerings, forged or not. Their perceived exclusivity could really suffer.

I think you're right....in trying to appeal to another market (cast v. forge) they may be diluting their product and image a bit. But I like that they're trying to offer other styles of clubs

+1...I also have a different image of Mizzys product lines. I don't think they will dillute their market persay, they are just trying to branch out to gain a wider market. I be curious to see how these stack up with the regular JPX's.

I don't think these will hurt Mizuno's image to the target buyer they are seeking with this type of an iron/hybrid package. Two things seem to be taking place with Japanese companies over the past few years. 1.) The desire to have an exclusive line is no longer a major goal and has been surpassed by the need to hold a #1 market share in a given category. 2.) The economy has forced them to take a step back and look at new approaches to appeal to a broader demographic. I think Mizuno may be willing to accept the lose of some their elitist status to make more sales in todays market!

By the way I love almost everything about the JPX Pros I've recently purchased......but hated the JPX hybrids when I tried them! Forged or not doesn't really matter to me. I just wanted what would benefit and fit my game the best...period!!!

I don't think these will hurt Mizuno's image to the target buyer they are seeking with this type of an iron/hybrid package. Two things seem to be taking place with Japanese companies over the past few years. 1.) The desire to have an exclusive line is no longer a major goal and has been surpassed by the need to hold a #1 market share in a given category. 2.) The economy has forced them to take a step back and look at new approaches to appeal to a broader demographic. I think Mizuno may be willing to accept the lose of some their elitist status to make more sales in todays market!

By the way I love almost everything about the JPX Pros I've recently purchased......but hated the JPX hybrids when I tried them! Forged or not doesn't really matter to me. I just wanted what would benefit and fit my game the best...period!!!

Not sure Id agree with this. Mizuno is definetly trying to branch out and reach a wider market but companies like Bridgestone and Srixon really arent. They still are focused on making premium forged irons.

Not sure Id agree with this. Mizuno is definetly trying to branch out and reach a wider market but companies like Bridgestone and Srixon really arent. They still are focused on making premium forged irons.

Yeah, I dont agree with that really. While their irons are forged, looking at both of their most recent lineups, suggests they are trying to branch out quite a bit. Not completely mainstream yet mind you, but definitely branching out. All one has to do is look at the Z-Star irons for that.

I think Paulo is spot on in that this could be seen as sending mixed messages but is that anything new? The MX100's were cast and marketed similairly to these and I don't think that had much of an impact that had on their image.

Either intentionally or not, Mizuno has created that persona of better players use our product. It's the goal of new players to improve enough that they too can jump up to a set of forged mizuno irons and hang with the big boys, something that I would argue that Taylormade, for example, gets overlooked for. Will being more inclusive pull them into the group of OEM's with something for everyone in the public perception? I honestly doubt it. These irons could easily get overlooked by everyone from fitters to weekend players as they go with someone with perhaps more history in the SGI category while the rest of their line sits on a pedestal as usual. If they (HD's) have enough of an impact perhaps some of their diehards will look elsewhere to get the mystique back (Miura maybe?) due to seeing the line as a whole being devalued but I doubt it. Those who like Mizuno forged irons (like me) aren't likely to just kick them to the curb because they made a line that's more friendly.

Now that was a bit of a ramble. In short, I don't think these irons are going to be winners unless there's a huge ground swell of support even if they are awesome. Mizuno will still push forged as being the best thing in golf but accept that cast has it's place. Kinda like Ping in reverse in the Japanese market.

I think Paulo is spot on in that this could be seen as sending mixed messages but is that anything new? The MX100's were cast and marketed similairly to these and I don't think that had much of an impact that had on their image.

Either intentionally or not, Mizuno has created that persona of better players use our product. It's the goal of new players to improve enough that they too can jump up to a set of forged mizuno irons and hang with the big boys, something that I would argue that Taylormade, for example, gets overlooked for. Will being more inclusive pull them into the group of OEM's with something for everyone in the public perception? I honestly doubt it. These irons could easily get overlooked by everyone from fitters to weekend players as they go with someone with perhaps more history in the SGI category while the rest of their line sits on a pedestal as usual. If they (HD's) have enough of an impact perhaps some of their diehards will look elsewhere to get the mystique back (Miura maybe?) due to seeing the line as a whole being devalued but I doubt it. Those who like Mizuno forged irons (like me) aren't likely to just kick them to the curb because they made a line that's more friendly.

Now that was a bit of a ramble. In short, I don't think these irons are going to be winners unless there's a huge ground swell of support even if they are awesome. Mizuno will still push forged as being the best thing in golf but accept that cast has it's place. Kinda like Ping in reverse in the Japanese market.
Ive always found it interesting that people view Mizunos as a better player's iron. Mizuno has had both the MP line that is indeed for better players but for a long time theyve also had the MX line that was intended for everyone.
Granted, Mizuno has definetly built their reputation around forged irons for the better player but its not as if they havent made irons that suits the needs of a high-handicapper.

Yeah, I dont agree with that really. While their irons are forged, looking at both of their most recent lineups, suggests they are trying to branch out quite a bit. Not completely mainstream yet mind you, but definitely branching out. All one has to do is look at the Z-Star irons for that.
Exactly my point. To say that all of the Japanese golf companies are branching out isnt really a true statement because both Srixon and Bridgestone and still focusing on forged irons for the better player and arent even addressing cast clubs.
Yes, Srixon did come out with the Z-Stars as an answer for players who are looking for a more forgiving club but they definetly arent trying to branch out to anywhere near the same level that Mizuno is and the Z-Star iron is still an iron that is gear more for low to mid handicappers, not a true SGI iron for high handicappers or people who are just taking up the game.

Im not sure if you have picked up a Z-Star iron, but its the same size as a Burner 2.0 and these clubs being discussed here. Large sole and topline, and larger overall club head.

Back