Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons

The difference was the MX's were forged until the 1000's if i'm correct.
I dont think so. The MX-15s and MX-19s were cast. Other than that I agree with you though. As long as Mizuno keeps the MP and JPX lines very disctinct and very seperate there is no reason why both cant exist and be successful.

Anybody had a the opportunity to hit these outside yet. I am curious if these are selling and what they are like for some reason?
Ive been demoing one for the past few weeks and I like it. Its easy to hit the ball high and straight with it. Ive been using the 4H and for me its a 180 yard club that works out of just about any kind of lie.
Its got a huge head though and a lot of offset so it may or may not be for you. It seems like its a love/hate club. Some people love it, others dont.

I love me some Mizzies, but I gotta tell ya that when I went in to GS the other day to pick up balls almost all of the closeout clubs were Mizuno sets. That's where I think this over pump of sticks is going to hurt them, what was the premier is now closeout and alot of it. I think it's a risky gamble.

I love me some Mizzies, but I gotta tell ya that when I went in to GS the other day to pick up balls almost all of the closeout clubs were Mizuno sets. That's where I think this over pump of sticks is going to hurt them, what was the premier is now closeout and alot of it. I think it's a risky gamble.
At the same time though, if they arent constantly coming out with new, improved, better irons people will compain that they are falling behind.

At the same time though, if they arent constantly coming out with new, improved, better irons people will compain that they are falling behind.

Do they complain about Ping or Titleist falling behind?
I think Mizuno has put out just as many sets of irons as anybody in the last 24 months.
The same people that have complained about other companies putting out too many clubs too often are never complaining about other companies that do the same thing.

I got the chance to try out a set of these clubs yesterday and I actually liked them a lot more than I thought I would. They definetly have a big head but they dont feel really chunky like my MX-100s or like a set of Ping K-15s do.
As expected, they are very forgiving and the ball really shoots off of the face at impact. They have really good balance and IMO have a higher level of craftsmanship than the MX-100s did.
Until yesterday I would have said that if I were to buy a new set of irons it would be JPX-800s but honestly, now Id have to say Id go JPX-800 HDs. They are just such an easy to hit, forgiving club but really dont look at SGI as they really are.

I would agree with you. I saw them in person last week and was suprised by how classic they seem to look at address compared to what I was expecting. I think they will suprise a few people. It will be fun come november when the Cleveland Black shows up as these two offerings have my interest.

What do you think?

What do you think?

I am considering picking up a set of these irons! I went to GG and hit a six iron felt great and the yardage was amazing still though not positive!

Kinda thought there would be more talk, reviews, and hype on the forums for the JPX800 HD's. Maybe I am on the wrong thread but this is what came up when I did a search.

This is my 3rd iron set this year. Played Burner Plus irons the past 2 seasons, switched to Wilson Di11's for about 2 months this year and now playing the 800 hds.

After one range session I'm not sure that I have even pured a ball yet with them.
With the di11's and Burner Plus if you pured a shot it had that nice hollow feel to them. The wilson's to some extent had that feeling even on mishits. Very soft feeling.

With these a mishit feels the same as a well struck shot. Very clicky with virtually no feel. Does anybody else that play these get this sensation?
I mean there was a couple times when even hitting the PW where right after impact I was like, oh no that was a total mishit, then I look up and the thing is going right for the middle of the green.

Guess I am left perplexed as I thought Mizuno has the reputation of having some of the best feeling clubs around. Not giving up on these by any means as I feel they are hands down the best looking iron on the market in the GI/SGI market which is what I play. I know looks shouldn't matter but to me. Guess its a confidence thing.
Looking forward to another range session tomorrow.

Oh and one other thing that seemed odd. I am only 5' 3" and need to get my irons shortened. The di11's in stock length are 3/4" longer per club than the jpx-800 hd's. That kinda baffles me as I had 1/2" taken off my Wilsons and yet they were still 1/4" longer than the Mizuno's in stock length.
So this led to many topped balls at the beginning of the range session. Definitely need to focus on staying down on the ball.

Have an outing Friday so I need to dial these bad boys in.

Hopefully now that I resurrected this thread more 800 HD owners will chime in and provide their feedback.

Had my first opportunity to play with the JPX800 HD's on the course. Played in a scramble last week.

The highlights for me:
Par 5 dogleg we had 175 left into the green on our 2nd shot. I thought about playing conservative and using one club longer as I had no clue how far I would hit the hybrids. I stuck with my gut and played my normal 175 club (5h). Actually cut it a little (not by choice, lol) and hit the back part of the green took a small hop and ended up on the fringe. I was the only one on so we used my shot for a 2 putt birdie.

Par 3 145 yds. Took out 7i, ball actually landed about 18" from the hole, checked nicely and ended up about 6' away, led to a birdie.

Par 5 3rd shot, 115 out and took PW over a tree. Stuck it within 7' or so. We converted the bird.

The only clubs really giving me fits are the 6i and the 4h. The 4h seems like its way more upright than the rest of the set. I bought these used so maybe the previous owner had one club bent (not likely) but I am going to have the lie on it checked out. If I grip down an inch it flattens out but with this club being shorter than a normal hybrid I can't afford to grip down on it. I believe the fli-hi hybrid's lie can be adjusted. Not sure, going to check with Golf Galaxy.

Looking forward to playing a full round, non scramble with these.

Had my first opportunity to play with the JPX800 HD's on the course. Played in a scramble last week.

The highlights for me:
Par 5 dogleg we had 175 left into the green on our 2nd shot. I thought about playing conservative and using one club longer as I had no clue how far I would hit the hybrids. I stuck with my gut and played my normal 175 club (5h). Actually cut it a little (not by choice, lol) and hit the back part of the green took a small hop and ended up on the fringe. I was the only one on so we used my shot for a 2 putt birdie.

Par 3 145 yds. Took out 7i, ball actually landed about 18" from the hole, checked nicely and ended up about 6' away, led to a birdie.

Par 5 3rd shot, 115 out and took PW over a tree. Stuck it within 7' or so. We converted the bird.

The only clubs really giving me fits are the 6i and the 4h. The 4h seems like its way more upright than the rest of the set. I bought these used so maybe the previous owner had one club bent (not likely) but I am going to have the lie on it checked out. If I grip down an inch it flattens out but with this club being shorter than a normal hybrid I can't afford to grip down on it. I believe the fli-hi hybrid's lie can be adjusted. Not sure, going to check with Golf Galaxy.

Looking forward to playing a full round, non scramble with these.
Being that the HDs are stainless steel, I dont think they can be bent.

Ive had the hd , now the reg. jpxs. Great clubs.

Ive had the hd , now the reg. jpxs. Great clubs.

Curious as to the differences you have seen and why you made the switch?

Curious as to the differences you have seen and why you made the switch?

My buddy plays the regular 800's and I held up my 7i HD to his. Normal GI vs SGI differences that I could see; HD's have a wider sole and bigger cavity.
Lofts are the same between clubs, but the HD's are designed to get the ball up easier for the higher handicapper.

Back