Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Spend some time in the bunkers in Florida buddy. THe sand consistency will be similar in MB.

Most definitely. I will get some pointers down there as I just don't see them enough to have good technique down. Not to mention, the ones that I do see, are nothing like east coast resort sand so to speak.

I can just play for a clean pick here most of the time....not your typical blast out kind of shot.

Although I do like your other idea: avoid them like the plague. That is option numero uno.

I wish I could avoid putting like the plague. I am far better at bunkers than I am at putting.

Bunkers can make a man succumb to acting like TIger. I hate the bunker shot that you try to splash out but don't hit it far enough, so it actually ends up behind you, and then you do that like 1 or 2 more times to cement a snowman on the card.

Most definitely. I will get some pointers down there as I just don't see them enough to have good technique down. Not to mention, the ones that I do see, are nothing like east coast resort sand so to speak.

I can just play for a clean pick here most of the time....not your typical blast out kind of shot.

Although I do like your other idea: avoid them like the plague. That is option numero uno.

The sand in Fl will be so much fluffier dude. Just take a 56* and hit about an inch or two behind the ball and I promise you it's coming out. It's fun practicing bunker shots in a place that has the facilities for it.

Bunkers can make a man succumb to acting like TIger. I hate the bunker shot that you try to splash out but don't hit it far enough, so it actually ends up behind you, and then you do that like 1 or 2 more times to cement a snowman on the card.

Maybe it's those damn XFT wedge's I carry. I feel the J40's won't act like that. They just need to get here fast.

Maybe it's those damn XFT wedge's I carry. I feel the J40's won't act like that. They just need to get here fast.

Oh, gawd. Definitely. Those are turrible.

The sand in Fl will be so much fluffier dude. Just take a 56* and hit about an inch or two behind the ball and I promise you it's coming out. It's fun practicing bunker shots in a place that has the facilities for it.

Sounds like a plan, agree that the practice is more fun when you have the facilities for it. I have a tendency to drive down into the sand instead of sliding under the ball. When I drive down I either shank it right off of the hosel (and out of the sand) or hit it straight but leave it in the bunker. Definitely something I will be practicing in MB days before the event.

Sounds like a plan, agree that the practice is more fun when you have the facilities for it. I have a tendency to drive down into the sand instead of sliding under the ball. When I drive down I either shank it right off of the hosel (and out of the sand) or hit it straight but leave it in the bunker. Definitely something I will be practicing in MB days before the event.

Me too dude. BUnkers around here can be hit or miss so it's imperative to assess them before deciding what kind of shot to hit. I use my Gap Wedge a lot too. In all seriousness, spend some time with JB in the bunkers. Dude's got a wicked greenside golf game.

Game of pitch and putt this evening and a round of golf tomorrow

Me too dude. BUnkers around here can be hit or miss so it's imperative to assess them before deciding what kind of shot to hit. I use my Gap Wedge a lot too. In all seriousness, spend some time with JB in the bunkers. Dude's got a wicked greenside golf game.

Thanks, I will do that if he is still talking to me. Don't want to waste any more of his time. :alien:

I know nothing of this "fluffy sand" you speak of,....we have wet packed sand here...in fact on my home course most guys play lift rake and drop in the bunkers.....they are so bad the only way to get a decent lie is to rake a spot and then drop in it.

Turrible I tell you!

Thanks, I will do that if he is still talking to me. Don't want to waste any more of his time. :alien:

I think it'll be fine buddy.

My bunker game has improved quite a bit lately I'm hoping it carries over into the MB sand, im not really familiar with how different the consistency is.

looking into it for sure

That's awesome hanks! Are you getting lessons from a Pro or from GolfTEC or something?

Going out to play a tougher course today. Sort of see where I stand. Looking forward to J40 and Betti time. Oh yeah buddy!

Newbie question... Is the Morgan Cup part of the big THP outing weekend?

spazzdog (sliding back into lurk mode)

No, the outing is next weekend. The Morgan Cup is in SC in July (Pawley's Island).

Hard to keep up with I know!

No the Morgan Cup is a separate event. Last year held at Reunion Resort, this year held in Myrtle Beach, being played at Caledonia Fish Club and True Blue.

tyno - what's the biggest difference between the 2 swings?

the swing i was attempting to change to was a lot more "wristy". it was definitely draw-biased, where i would go inside quicker on the backswing and really create that outside finish with a correctly timed wrist hinge to perfect that nice high draw. it works, when done correctly and i had confidence in it...to where i would aim up the right hand side, knowing that, that ball would come back to the left. although i would leave it in the right rough a lot, as it produced a lot of straight drives...but it also produced a lot of room for error....miss hits, pulls, snap hooks, etc...
with the irons, it definitely produced a good 5-10 yards more distance, as with the driver...but i wasn't hitting the ball consistently off the center of the club face with the irons...which bothered me a lot.

the swing i went back to was what was working for me early on in the season. it's natural, athletic, and basically self-taught. it's definitely not as "wristy" and with the driver, i don't go in-to-out as much. so it produces an easy, controllable fade...that finds fairways frequently.
same with the irons - very consistent ball striking, with a slight fade if any.

by July, i hope to have some hybrid version of these two swings combined into something magical. what i really need, is more range time, bottom-line. but until then, while i'm on the course, i will go with what i know works...so i can keep my scores low and confidence high.

No, the outing is next weekend. The Morgan Cup is in SC in July (Pawley's Island).

Hard to keep up with I know!

Thanks cookie! Yes, with all the great outings, contests, etc. offered by THP my brain is a swirlin' with hopes of making it to one, meeting all you folk and being good enough to participate.

Good luck everybody!

spazzdog

Got to the range last night for the short game clinic. Pro got to me and the one swing he saw, I hit the pin. He just walked away and said I was fine. But I did hit a ton of pitches and chips last night, and my game is way behind what it should be by now. I just don't feel like I have any touch. I then went down and hit balls continuing to work on my lesson plan for a little bit before I moved on to the fun part.....finally hitting my FW's!

First up, Mashie F5. 5 swings, all laser straight and about 200 yards. Put it in the bag, this is definitely an easy club for me to hit.

Next, Mashie F3. 1 out of 5 were hit straight, and long. The rest had some big cuts which caused a loss of distance. Need a little work, but should be fine.

Next was the Black 3W. This thing hits bombs!!! I seem to be hitting some pulls with it, and will work on that, but jeebus this is long!

Took some time to hit the Black driver tonight too. I am getting it straightened out, and when I hit it with my normal ball flight it feels incredible and just goes.

All in all, a really good day at the range. Raining here today so probably get out again tomorrow, and then I really want to get in at least 18 this weekend.

Doesn't it just work that way York? You want help, but you just can't get it. The short game is so tough. Keep good spirits up man because at least you are out there playing ya know?

Doesn't it just work that way York? You want help, but you just can't get it. The short game is so tough. Keep good spirits up man because at least you are out there playing ya know?

Yeah, I just need to get out and play a round or 2. I love range time, but not playing because my weekends have been packed, and work has been crazy is bugging me. Of course, I have the THP Outing next week, so I should have lots of rounds coming there to put all of this range time to the test.

Went and played 18 at a tuff course. Then I had league. Hit 14 of 21 fairways. With 11 of 13 being at the tougher course. Was hitting he J40 pretty well today. The Betti had 4-3 putts total today which killed me. Shot 42/47 with 3 lost balls in the water. The shot 44 for league. Overall happy with the first 18. So so on the league score. Range time at lunch tomorrow! Then putting and chipping green Friday.

Back