Move UP! I've Been Asking the Powers That Be to Get Involved!!

I know hoosier, I don't get it. Do they just want to say, "I played from the tips today"? If you are shooting 110 from the tips, what weight does that hold? HAHA

It is sort of like the guy with top dollar clothes, top dollar clubs and a $2000 putter who shots 120 everytime out.
No game, but at least they look cool doing it! :D

I go out a lot by myself and sometimes I get paired up with some younger guys, 20 somethings, who at the first tee act like they are annoyed that they have to play with grandpa or they wise crack about whether I am OK hitting from the back tees or not cause I can move up if I need to it won't bother them. And then I fly a ball off the first tee that carries past all of their tee shots and leaves me about 40 yards ahead of them. Not sure which bothers them more, hitting the ball farther and straighter than they do or beating each of them by about 10 strokes.
You go Grandpa! :)

I play 6600 Yards sometimes and don't seem to struggle that much except for the par 4's that go over into 450 yards (There's two at my home course) where I can't even reach on two with a three wood.

I still try though

Wow, you guys must crush the ball. My normal course is 6250-tips 5850-mens. I've played it with some long hitters and never heard them complain that it isn't long enough. It does have some holes you sure don't want to overdrive though. Laterals and terrace's where those same guys use a 3i. I'm jealous. I'm plenty happy playing the mens regular teebox on a 5800 or a 6500 layout. To me it is more about where the trouble is.

The 6600 yards was off the championship tee's the White tee's which I normally play off are 6400.

First of all, most of the people on here or most other golf boards aren't the "average male golfer", I feel that people on here are more serious about their game. However, I think that Tom has some merit with his comment. I played a round with 2 other guys, and we all played the tips, which were about 6500 yards. My driving distance on a good drive was probably 30-40 yards past both guys, and I consider myself to be an average length player on here with a drive of about 240-250. These guys were having trouble getting to some par 4's in 2 even with good shots, and one guy actually hit driver on a par 3. Those guys definitely should have moved up one tee, but it sounded like they play that course all the time from the back. Golfers are weird, we'd rather have the EGO of a longer course sometime as opposed to having more fun by playing a course that suits our length more.

Fixed that one for you.
Ego > challenge for most people. Same idea behind playing a xstiff shaft at driver ss of < 100.

I go out a lot by myself and sometimes I get paired up with some younger guys, 20 somethings, who at the first tee act like they are annoyed that they have to play with grandpa or they wise crack about whether I am OK hitting from the back tees or not cause I can move up if I need to it won't bother them. And then I fly a ball off the first tee that carries past all of their tee shots and leaves me about 40 yards ahead of them. Not sure which bothers them more, hitting the ball farther and straighter than they do or beating each of them by about 10 strokes.
Hah, that sounds like a blast. I hope you give them the deadpan hardcase the whole round.

In a nice definition of irony, check out the Conservatory at Hammock Beach score card.

A Tom Watson designed course.

Scorecard
Tee Par Yards Slope Rating
Black 72 7776 155 78.4
Gold 72 7300 151 76.6
Blue 72 6792 142 74
White 72 6471 135 71.3
Green72 6001 132 70.1
Red 72 5525 127 67.8

I agree, I think most golfers that I see and encounter should play the course at 6300. I see too golfer playing tees they have no business playing, it's an ego thing. If you can play well on a short course how are you going to play well on a longer track. Work on your game, learn shots and have fun. I love playing the white tee from time to time, works out my hybrids and long irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a nice definition of irony, check out the Conservatory at Hammock Beach score card.
I know courses like this have their reasons but all those teeboxes seem like good fairway wasted to me. I understand the need the championship tees but some of these places have a 100 yard stretch with 5 different teeboxes. It seems a little overboard to me. If its a long course its a long course.

Scorecard
Black 72 7776 155 78.4
Gold 72 7300 151 76.6
Blue 72 6792 142 74
White 72 6471 135 71.3
Green72 6001 132 70.1
Red 72 5525 127 67.8
I've seen courses at 6800 with a slope of less than 127. lol

Just played two courses at Reunion Resort and thought I'd chime in on my experience here. I based the tees I would play on yardage only and stayed around 6500. I'm an average golfer and this was the 2nd and 3rd 18 holes of the year with some range time. I hit my drive on average 250 and I was playing with rental clubs (which is not a good idea on these courses). So here is the breakdown.

Palmer Course Gold Tees: 6419 yards with a 132 slope. I shot 49 on the front with a 9 and a 43 on the back with a nine. I felt the yardage was ideal because I hit the drive well but struggled on the greens a tad.

Nicklaus Course Blue Tees: 6537 yards with a 142 slope. I shot a 97 total but again didn't feel the yardage was an issue. I felt the greens were way tougher that the Palmer and I played out of way too much sand.

I am a 40 year old male that has been playing for many years but took some time away and only began playing seriously again 4 years ago. My game has improved in the last couple years but I've been working on it more then ever. I think this is going to be my best year golfing and the scores above only encouraged me to play better instead of saying f- it.

I consider myself an average golfer but the real question is what Watson thinks is an avergage golfer. I shoot bogey golf often but have some really good rounds mixed in but the handicap system makes me look better.

BTW......2 over on the backside going into the 18th on the Arnold.......choke.

Scorecard
Black 72 7776 155 78.4
Gold 72 7300 151 76.6
Blue 72 6792 142 74
White 72 6471 135 71.3
Green 72 6001 132 70.1
Red 72 5525 127 67.8

Looking at those ratings makes me think this isn't a course designed for average golfers! That's a hard course no matter where you play from! Average golfers need to find an easier course.

I've lost some distance over the last couple years for a variety of reasons. Consequently, I realize I'm not able to play effectively from the same tees I once did. That's life. Golf is more fun when you have some short irons in your hands a number of times each round. So in fairness to myself and to others on the course, I rarely tee it up from longer than 7,400 yards.

Kevin

Looking at those ratings makes me think this isn't a course designed for average golfers! That's a hard course no matter where you play from! Average golfers need to find an easier course.

And yet its a resort course right in FL.

Tom Watson can say everything he would like about distances and what to play, but I find it slightly hypocritical to then build the longest course in the state.

I am comfortable with anything up to the 6500 yard range myself. I enjoy playing most courses from the middle tee boxes. DawgDaddy is the old man on here. I believe DD is 63 years old and I am a young stud at 60.

I've lost some distance over the last couple years for a variety of reasons. Consequently, I realize I'm not able to play effectively from the same tees I once did. That's life. Golf is more fun when you have some short irons in your hands a number of times each round. So in fairness to myself and to others on the course, I rarely tee it up from longer than 7,400 yards.

Kevin
Surely you jest, are there really many courses with >7400 yds? I thought a PGA tour course was around 7200 avg.

Maybe those tees are for the above average golfer or something?
And yet its a resort course right in FL.

Tom Watson can say everything he would like about distances and what to play, but I find it slightly hypocritical to then build the longest course in the state.

Maybe those tees are for the above average golfer or something?

Huh? Did you see the yardages listed? That is all of them. Based on his thoughts in the article, almost everybody has to either play the forward tees or in the case of the seniors, not play the course.

This is a course with HIS name on it.

My men's league plays from tees that are about 6100 and I find myself usually going with my 3W - 4H off the tees on everything but the 5's... unless I'm feeling frisky.

The tips at my home course are 6400 or so, which seems about right if I'm looking for a fair challenge.

The rule in our golf group is to play the tees where you have fun then we adjust handicap strokes using the USGA guidelines for players playing different courses. So, Saturday morning we will have players on three different sets of tees. Some of the older guys play the front tees but some younger short hitters do as well. I am 62 and usually play the back tees in summer--because it is more fun for me back there.

I play 30-40 courses per year and in choosing tees, I look at course rating and slope not yardage when choosing tees to play. I'm looking for a course rating 70-72 and slope 130-140. When choosing a course to play, I look for tees somewhere in that neighborhood.

Yardage can be deceptive, I played a course last May that was 7700 yards but it was in Montana probably at a mile in altitude and thoroughly enjoyed the day. I don't think a 7700 yard course in Florida at sea level would be much fun for me.

I'd agree that the average golfer (a median below the average player here, for sure) indeed plays tees too long. I'm not too sure though that I agree with Tom's chosen distances, however. Too many variables to consider.

For myself, I'm longer and more accurate now at 43 than ever before in my life. My preference is courses 7,000 to 7,200 yds. Conditions permitting, of course.

Kevin

You are poking at me with this aren't you. I can take it.

Scorecard
Black 72 7776 155 78.4
Gold 72 7300 151 76.6
Blue 72 6792 142 74
White 72 6471 135 71.3
Green72 6001 132 70.1
Red 72 5525 127 67.8

A 151 slope from those gold tees would have a lot of single digit handicappers shooting over 100, and if the greens are at 12 + on the stimp it would be even worse. That is a stupidly hard course. Bethpage Black from the tournament tees is in the 150 slope range is it not?

Hah, that sounds like a blast. I hope you give them the deadpan hardcase the whole round.

I don't help them look for their ball every other hole and I make sure they don't step on my line on the green but otherwise I mostly ignore them. If they aren't asses about it then it can be fun, some guys fight it and others go along and have fun with it you never know what you are going to get. One of the reasons I don't mind going out alone sometimes.

Back