Move UP! I've Been Asking the Powers That Be to Get Involved!!

OK, I can respect that notion. In the area I live in, there are approx. 10 courses that are open to the public. Of those, two of them are par 3 or as they like to be called "corporate" courses. The yardages on these are between 3200 and 4100. The remaining eight courses have yardages ranging from 5100 to 7100 depending on which tees you utilize. Is this not the norm in most Metro areas? The town I am referencing is Terre Haute Ind. You can google that to get an idea of the course slopes and ratings.
After really thinking about it, it seems to me they are trying to lessen the scoring gap between the 1/10th of 1% and the rest of us. Not necessary IMHO

We need to get your club management here in Florida. So far only one course has closed but all except the most exclusive are scrambling for players, never mind members. Virtually all the private clubs have gone semi-private.
I am not sure i get what is being said. The pros play from a setup that is determined by the PGA(or whatever governing body) and in a lot of cases is from tee boxes that we amateurs would never use. I know a lot of mid HC that will play from a set of tees that offer the best advantage to actually par the hole, yet provide a challenge. I personally have stopped playing from the tips this year because my swing is slower and I feel that I am getting a good challenge from my courses white box. Most courses I play have four sets of tees(except on par 3's) this provides plenty of different yardages w/o compromising the playability of low HC and scratch golfers.
I also do not see the game losing its players. In fact, I would say just the opposite. Even in this economical recession/depression we are in my home clubs enrollment is up almost 7% and weekend golfers are there in great numbers. I believe that golfers do need to play realistically within their talent and ability, but a challenge is also necessary

Great article. I really can't disagree with what he is saying. I remember being a junior golfer and being intimidated by the sheer size of some holes. You had no option. Just hit it is far as you could for the first 2-3 shots and hope for the best. Forget about trying to make a shot, you just hit it as hard as you could. And the lady's tees at some courses are far far too close to the men's tees. My wife gets it out there around 120 on her best swing. This limits her to 1 local course. She'd shoot over 200 at my regular course even from their lady's tees.

Great article. I really can't disagree with what he is saying. I remember being a junior golfer and being intimidated by the sheer size of some holes. You had no option. Just hit it is far as you could for the first 2-3 shots and hope for the best. Forget about trying to make a shot, you just hit it as hard as you could. And the lady's tees at some courses are far far too close to the men's tees. My wife gets it out there around 120 on her best swing. This limits her to 1 local course. She'd shoot over 200 at my regular course even from their lady's tees.
That's just not right Griff. How can that be any fun for her? It's so stupid. Every golfer should have the opportunity to make a birdie now and then.

That's just not right Griff. How can that be any fun for her? It's so stupid. Every golfer should have the opportunity to make a birdie now and then.

Exactly! It's boring for her to go to the same course all the time. We could drive further to a couple other places, but I think even the big tracks should have multiple tee options for ladies. Men have options and so should juniors and ladies.

Exactly! It's boring for her to go to the same course all the time. We could drive further to a couple other places, but I think even the big tracks should have multiple tee options for ladies. Men have options and so should juniors and ladies.
Good point. Which, if golf courses would think of it from an economic standpoint, would provide those options!

Interesting information right here. I used to just pick the 2nd tees from the back, but now focus on around 7,000 yards. I enjoy playing closer to 6,500 without a doubt, but then again who doesn't enjoy getting a little closer to the tee. :D

I can see both sides. On my home course I never hit more than a 7 iron into par 4's from the white tees. I feel pretty good about that. My buddies all hit 4-5 irons into the par 4's, yet they fEel offended when I offer them teeing from the 'ladies' teebox.

Interesting information right here. I used to just pick the 2nd tees from the back, but now focus on around 7,000 yards. I enjoy playing closer to 6,500 without a doubt, but then again who doesn't enjoy getting a little closer to the tee. :D
Apparently a lot folks Luke, or we wouldn't be having this discussion. :)

Yes, but the pros hit irons in to par 4s. How many times have you played and seen guys hitting hybrids/woods into par 4s?

I am one of those guys. Unless it's pretty short, my second shot is almost always a hybrid up to a 7 wood. And on some of the longer courses I sometimes have to get out the 5 wood to get there. A great tee shot for me is about 220- which actually puts me slightly ahead of the average.

If the course has 4 sets of boxes (Ladies, Red, Yellow, White) I have the most fun playing the Reds, but unless I am on my own almost no one wants to play there. Its Yellow or White. I can manage the Yellow, but the Whites are just no fun at all. I will actually wait for another grouping rather than play Whites. And to be honest I have seen very very few people who actually should be playing White. So 6000- 6500 I guess?

After really thinking about it, it seems to me they are trying to lessen the scoring gap between the 1/10th of 1% and the rest of us. Not necessary IMHO

I don't think scoring is the point at all...

Have you even been behind a 4-some playing from the tips who had no business playing there? How much fun did you have waiting on every tee box?

How much fun is it to score 85 instead of 90+? Or to have 2+ makable birdie putts in a round?

That's what this is about.
We talk about wanting to be like pro's- we play their equipment, copy their style, and sometimes their swings. Yet the pro's hit irons into par 4s and sometimes even into par 5s. Even the pro's struggle with greens in regulation when you make them play hybrids into greens.

The point of the article is why do we subject ourselves to conditions the pro's wouldn't dream of? No pro wants to hit a 3h into a par four, but we do it regularly.

It really has very very very little to do with scoring

Consider this a forged post

Just putting my 2 cents in It was interesting reading all the different viewpoints, being a golfer with a disability I can tell you most places I play I play from the yellows or reds 5500 or less is about all the length I can handle, and because I can shoot straight 90 % of the time relatively flat courses are best for me because of balance problems occasionally cant get a high arc on long shots, they aren't worm burners but not in the stratosphere either.

I typically play courses with 4 box's and on those I play one in from the tips. Some of the private courses I have played have 5 box's and on those I play 2 in from the tips. It really does make the game more enjoyable when your not 240 out for your 2nd shot on some holes. If I ever get to a single digit HC, I will play the tips. I've played them a few times on some very short courses without a problem. But those were some long par 3's!

I don't think scoring is the point at all...

Have you even been behind a 4-some playing from the tips who had no business playing there? How much fun did you have waiting on every tee box?

How much fun is it to score 85 instead of 90+? Or to have 2+ makable birdie putts in a round?

That's what this is about.
We talk about wanting to be like pro's- we play their equipment, copy their style, and sometimes their swings. Yet the pro's hit irons into par 4s and sometimes even into par 5s. Even the pro's struggle with greens in regulation when you make them play hybrids into greens.

The point of the article is why do we subject ourselves to conditions the pro's wouldn't dream of? No pro wants to hit a 3h into a par four, but we do it regularly.

It really has very very very little to do with scoring

I love this post, and it really would benefit the 'average' golfer to have this mentality. When my course is hardpan and rolling, I can easily play the back tees and be comfortable with mid irons into the greens. On an average day, my best position is to play from the golds (or tournament tees which are 6553 yards 71.8/132). Now, I average about 265-275 carry when I am striking well, and play a lot of golf with guys who rarely get into the 230s. I am constantly telling them to move up a tee box, but they refuse to for a number of reasons.

1 - All tournaments at my course for players below the age of 55 are forced to play from the golds. Only +55 players with handicaps above 15 can play a tee box forward.
2 - Pride.

I think it's ridiculous that they have to hit hybrids/woods into a handful of the greens, and it makes it very hard for them to move up a box, get their handicap down, and then get forced to play an additional 500 yards during tournaments with only an extra stroke or two.

I certainly don't think I would enjoy the game if I was not hitting mid irons or better into greens on average.

My home course has only 4 boxes and one in from the tips according to the scorecard in my bag is 6855 with a slope of 127!

This was a good little article and a good tip that I would take to heart. I don't ever play from the tips so it's not a huge deal for me.

My club :
Gold 3,271 3,101 6,372 73.1/131 72
Blue 3,111 2,893 6,004 72.2/129 72
White 2,777 2,624 5,401 67.6/120 72

I play the whites & blues right now. I am regaining my handicap. When I am solidly in the 80's I will go to Gold. I walked my course, playing with a 75year old rider, in 3.5 hours and 105 heat index Friday. That was a White tee day! It slows play to unbearable when golfers try our course from the tips, judging only by yardage.

I love this post, and it really would benefit the 'average' golfer to have this mentality. When my course is hardpan and rolling, I can easily play the back tees and be comfortable with mid irons into the greens. On an average day, my best position is to play from the golds (or tournament tees which are 6553 yards 71.8/132). Now, I average about 265-275 carry when I am striking well, and play a lot of golf with guys who rarely get into the 230s. I am constantly telling them to move up a tee box, but they refuse to for a number of reasons.

1 - All tournaments at my course for players below the age of 55 are forced to play from the golds. Only +55 players with handicaps above 15 can play a tee box forward.
2 - Pride.

I think it's ridiculous that they have to hit hybrids/woods into a handful of the greens, and it makes it very hard for them to move up a box, get their handicap down, and then get forced to play an additional 500 yards during tournaments with only an extra stroke or two.

I certainly don't think I would enjoy the game if I was not hitting mid irons or better into greens on average.

I agree, this is the first year I havent been out playing the tips on most courses and grinding it out. The game has become much more enjoyable, and at a faster pace. The big bombers I play with have finally accepted me moving up a set or 2 on the tees, not that I was ever looking for thier permission

Back