NHL 2012-2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, the sad part is for someone like me who used to play hockey, I've become so disconnected from the sport I'm almost ready to just write it off!
as what was supposed to be the season draws near (Oct. 13th was Pens vs. Sabres, their home and season opener) it's becoming more real that there doesn't look like there will be a season at all and how pissed i'm going to be about it. :angry:

All the more time to discuss the Morgan Cup gentlemen!!

I'm totally over it. Even if they do salvage some of this season, I'm going to be looking at it half interested. They have embarrassed the game.

I'm totally over it. Even if they do salvage some of this season, I'm going to be looking at it half interested. They have embarrassed the game.

I agree. I don't even feel like playing in my beer league this winter. It is amazing how far the NHL has fallen from what I remember of the way it was in the 80's and 90's.

I am really surprised how little I care. I find that that is the case with alot of NHL fans. I think both sides have made a major miscalculation. Donald Fehr seems to not realize this isnt baseball. The NHL does have the same fanbase that will just eat the poop sandwich and keep coming back for more.

I am really surprised how little I care. I find that that is the case with alot of NHL fans. I think both sides have made a major miscalculation. Donald Fehr seems to not realize this isnt baseball. The NHL does have the same fanbase that will just eat the poop sandwich and keep coming back for more.

I've heard plenty of banter that they believe people will come back like they did after 04/05 but I personally think any momentum they've gained is getting destroyed by the day.

I've heard plenty of banter that they believe people will come back like they did after 04/05 but I personally think any momentum they've gained is getting destroyed by the day.

No doot aboot it.

This is so true and so sad, I don't think the NHL executives realize the damage they are doing to the game, I expect youth hockey signups to decline as well, along with all the safety talk it doesn't lend itself to a good outcome.

I agree. I don't even feel like playing in my beer league this winter. It is amazing how far the NHL has fallen from what I remember of the way it was in the 80's and 90's.

I was 13/14 during the first lockout. I literally went to my first practice that year, got off the ice and told my parents I quit. Why? because the NHL wasn't playing. Amazing how much of an influence the NHL has on the younger generations.

agree. it was bad enough and is easily becoming the ugly sister of professional sports. it's laughable. NFL and MLB, even with their issues just sit back and laugh i bet.
IMO...scrap the MLB. baseball sucks. i've played it most of my life and still think that way. bring me hockey.
unfortunately, i'm the minority...

agree. it was bad enough and is easily becoming the ugly sister of professional sports. it's laughable. NFL and MLB, even with their issues just sit back and laugh i bet.
IMO...scrap the MLB. baseball sucks. i've played it most of my life and still think that way. bring me hockey.
unfortunately, i'm the minority...

haha I'm with you on that one dude. Less baseball more hockey sounds awesome to me.

imagine baseball has had the most consecutive years now of labor peace

imagine baseball has had the most consecutive years now of labor peace

IMO, that's because both the Union and the League fear and respect each other. Fehr effectively cancelling the playoffs was a BOLD gambit that has since paid off for the players.

The NHL and NHLPA don't have that level of trust/fear of each other. We'll see if the NFL gets to that point going forward as well after the last debacle.

My question is, how long will it take for Betteman to get the boot for being an idiot and destroying the league? It blows my mind that enough is never enough with him!

Hahahaha NHLPA Outtakes video:

Some people call bettman an idiot, but maybe he's the only one with the balls to standup to the players and not let them tramp all over the owners. Yes they're billionaires, but they deserve equal treatment and the players are acting a bit greedy on this one.

Sad day today! at this point i really don't eve care if theres a season or not this year.

Some people call bettman an idiot, but maybe he's the only one with the balls to standup to the players and not let them tramp all over the owners. Yes they're billionaires, but they deserve equal treatment and the players are acting a bit greedy on this one.

I respectfully disagree. In the last lockout the owners got EVERYTHING they wanted, EVERYTHING. Even got the players to agree to a salary cap somehow. In the years since, revenues (overall) are way up and it only makes sense that players salaries should go up with it. Bettman is not an idiot, he is a smart man, but I'm starting to think that he just doesn't get it anymore. Here in Vancouver where people pay $350+ for a ticket 41 times a year I'm even noticing a lack of caring about the lockout. You can only push even the most loyal fans so far.

I respectfully disagree. In the last lockout the owners got EVERYTHING they wanted, EVERYTHING. Even got the players to agree to a salary cap somehow. In the years since, revenues (overall) are way up and it only makes sense that players salaries should go up with it. Bettman is not an idiot, he is a smart man, but I'm starting to think that he just doesn't get it anymore. Here in Vancouver where people pay $350+ for a ticket 41 times a year I'm even noticing a lack of caring about the lockout. You can only push even the most loyal fans so far.

Let me ask you this. The owners take 100% of the responsibility and risk so why should the players get more of the piece of the pie than them? Or any other sport. Without the owners, there are no players. What's fair is fair. Like I keep saying, once Donald Fehr took over this was inevitable. He is unreasonable. I honestly dont blame the owners here.

I was listening to Opie and Anthony this morning and Bill Burr was on talking about the lockout and hit the nail on the head. The NHL is afraid of being successful. It's like watching a celebrity rehab where there person is doing great and all of the sudden you the happy little music turns sad and they relapse. That's what this is again for the NHL. They had momentum and now they are back in the toilet. No one in the media or sports news outlets in the US is talking about the lockout. No one cares. To be honest, alot of the fans I know, including myself, really dont care as much as I thought we would. I guess we are just used to it and its a shame.

Let me ask you this. The owners take 100% of the responsibility and risk so why should the players get more of the piece of the pie than them? Or any other sport. Without the owners, there are no players. What's fair is fair. Like I keep saying, once Donald Fehr took over this was inevitable. He is unreasonable. I honestly dont blame the owners here.

I was listening to Opie and Anthony this morning and Bill Burr was on talking about the lockout and hit the nail on the head. The NHL is afraid of being successful. It's like watching a celebrity rehab where there person is doing great and all of the sudden you the happy little music turns sad and they relapse. That's what this is again for the NHL. They had momentum and now they are back in the toilet. No one in the media or sports news outlets in the US is talking about the lockout. No one cares. To be honest, alot of the fans I know, including myself, really dont care as much as I thought we would. I guess we are just used to it and its a shame.

Burr was great this morning on O&A, and I agree that he hit the nail on the head with the NHL issue. Its especially saddening to me because locally I felt like the Coyotes were on the right track, and people were excited about them again after the selling of the team stuff. But that excitement has probably petered out by now because of the lockout.

Burr was great this morning on O&A, and I agree that he hit the nail on the head with the NHL issue. Its especially saddening to me because locally I felt like the Coyotes were on the right track, and people were excited about them again after the selling of the team stuff. But that excitement has probably petered out by now because of the lockout.

Three years in a row making the playoffs didn't get fans excited enough....not sure what will.

Sad day today! at this point i really don't eve care if theres a season or not this year.

This is where I am. They don't deserve my attention or my money this year. Time better spent on THP.

This is where I am. They don't deserve my attention or my money this year. Time better spent on THP.

yeah i might go to a few ECHL games up where i work but i don't see me going to any NHL games even if they return. although i prob would watch if i'm being honest. glad my season is ramping up with both of my teams i'll be playing more now so that will help my itch as well.

yeah i might go to a few ECHL games up where i work but i don't see me going to any NHL games even if they return. although i prob would watch if i'm being honest. glad my season is ramping up with both of my teams i'll be playing more now so that will help my itch as well.

I'm skipping playing this year on account of how insanely dirty Cincinnati rec hockey is. Getting my knees taken out gets old eventually..

I say I won't, but I'll probably watch as well.. I was just WAAAAY into the NHL last year. I doubt I can just jump right back to that.

I'm skipping playing this year on account of how insanely dirty Cincinnati rec hockey is. Getting my knees taken out gets old eventually..

I say I won't, but I'll probably watch as well.. I was just WAAAAY into the NHL last year. I doubt I can just jump right back to that.

although at the time i was torn about getting rid of my season tickets, Now i am so glad i did. Even after i used to go to 10 games a year whenever they come back im gonna boycott for at least a year. unless they make the stanley cup. hahahaha i hear you on how dirty mens beer league can be, my team is pretty tough so if anyone on the other team is dirty they usually end up having a "talking to" or we end up getting in a fist fight.

Dan I stopped playing University based leagues for the same reason. Guys were out there to hear hunt and it was suppose to be non contact. Now I just play with a group of guys who show up and just split up the guys when we get there. Just fun and relaxing style of hockey. Do play competitive tournaments once in a while still, but not worth getting hurt over.

Sent from my HTC One X

although at the time i was torn about getting rid of my season tickets, Now i am so glad i did. Even after i used to go to 10 games a year whenever they come back im gonna boycott for at least a year. unless they make the stanley cup. hahahaha i hear you on how dirty mens beer league can be, my team is pretty tough so if anyone on the other team is dirty they usually end up having a "talking to" or we end up getting in a fist fight.

hah, my team just kind of turned the other cheek. It was weak.

Dan I stopped playing University based leagues for the same reason. Guys were out there to hear hunt and it was suppose to be non contact. Now I just play with a group of guys who show up and just split up the guys when we get there. Just fun and relaxing style of hockey. Do play competitive tournaments once in a while still, but not worth getting hurt over.

Sent from my HTC One X

Yeah pick up is still fun, I just don't enjoy playing hockey unless I'm playing regularly. It's a tough thing to drop and pick back up, and still be decent at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back