Nike 20Xi Golf Ball

Thought I'd post an update after going through the entire dozen 20XI-S now.

I am conflicted on this ball. It goes like stink for me off the driver, has the best ballflight of any ball I've ever hit off the irons and wedges and it putts well. But where this ball fails me is the always subjective category of feel. It just doesn't feel as good to me as the Penta TP I had been playing, or the Callaway Tour i(Z) I had also been trying out. The 20XI-S just feels clickier to me and I hate that above all else in a golf ball. I like the soft rubber'ish feeling covers.

While testing balls I often would drop 2 of each ball at the 150 & 100 yard markers on several holes and hit them to compare. By hitting them back to back like that I could really tell the difference in feel, ballflight and spin. The 20XI-S is probably numerically the best ball for me on the market, but I just score better with the Penta TP of the 3 balls I had narrowed my testing down to.

No, I was just pointing out that people complain about the price/durability (you: durability, not price), but they're usually paying for premium balls already so the cost difference is minimal if it improves your game (you said it was a toss-up, so no improvement).

I mean, I'm thinking of spending $207.50 on a new Machspeed Black driver that I hit a tiny bit further than last year's model. Or, hypothetically, I could take that $200 that I'll use less than 18 times per round and apply it to upgrading to a better ball for me (20xi - $34/dozen) than my current (One Tour D - $18/dozen) ball that I use about 105 times per round. With that same 200 bones I could upgrade and walk away with about 13 dozen balls.

Personally, I notice better distance across all clubs and less dispersion with my driver so I'm willing to spend more money per ball (about $1.30) for better performance.

---------

Side note - how do I correctly search these forums? I try, but seem to come up with random threads.

No, I was just pointing out that people complain about the price/durability (you: durability, not price), but they're usually paying for premium balls already so the cost difference is minimal if it improves your game (you said it was a toss-up, so no improvement).

I mean, I'm thinking of spending $207.50 on a new Machspeed Black driver that I hit a tiny bit further than last year's model. Or, hypothetically, I could take that $200 that I'll use less than 18 times per round and apply it to upgrading to a better ball for me (20xi - $34/dozen) than my current (One Tour D - $18/dozen) ball that I use about 105 times per round. With that same 200 bones I could upgrade and walk away with about 13 dozen balls.

Personally, I notice better distance across all clubs and less dispersion with my driver so I'm willing to spend more money per ball (about $1.30) for better performance.

---------

Side note - how do I correctly search these forums? I try, but seem to come up with random threads.

This is why we preach about ball fitting so much.

As for searching, click on advanced search and use title search only. Works every time.

I picked up a sleeve of these balls in the pro shop yesterday. They were a bit expensive at $13, but I had a gift card. I really love the Nike One Tours and wanted to see how these compare.

Looks: Nice bright white ball with a soft feeling cover. Big dimples mixed with medium and small dimples.

Putting: This ball felt really great off the putter. The greens were super slow and wet so it was hard to tell how they would do on fast greens.

Wedge shots: I had really great wedge results with these balls. They seemed to hop and stop quickly. I am sure that had to do with the soft and wet greens some, but I could tell a the balls had some spin on them.

Mid Irons: Beautiful ball flight for me. It was a nice rising ball flight that landed softly. They didn't seem to get much side spin on them. I even had a few of them back up a foot or two on the green. I don't really look for a lot of back spin, I like for my shots to end up close to where they land.

Low Irons: I thought the balls really preformed off of these irons. The ball seemed to hop and stop even with a 4 iron. I really loved that feature a lot.

Driver: This ball was great off the driver. It felt so smooth and I didn't have much trouble with side spin. I think I only hooked one drive all day with it. I think this was my favorite part of this ball's performance.

Overall- I thought this was a great ball. I really like the way I could stick the greens with it and have confidence behind that. I really like the Nike Tour One, but I am contemplating picking up a box of these. The price it a bit steep, but I think the performance is worth the price. I have been really impressed with the ball offerings that Nike has put up lately. I think they have really stepped it up in the past year in the golf market.

I picked up a sleeve of these balls in the pro shop yesterday. They were a bit expensive at $13, but I had a gift card. I really love the Nike One Tours and wanted to see how these compare.

Looks: Nice bright white ball with a soft feeling cover. Big dimples mixed with medium and small dimples.

Putting: This ball felt really great off the putter. The greens were super slow and wet so it was hard to tell how they would do on fast greens.

Wedge shots: I had really great wedge results with these balls. They seemed to hop and stop quickly. I am sure that had to do with the soft and wet greens some, but I could tell a the balls had some spin on them.

Mid Irons: Beautiful ball flight for me. It was a nice rising ball flight that landed softly. They didn't seem to get much side spin on them. I even had a few of them back up a foot or two on the green. I don't really look for a lot of back spin, I like for my shots to end up close to where they land.

Low Irons: I thought the balls really preformed off of these irons. The ball seemed to hop and stop even with a 4 iron. I really loved that feature a lot.

Driver: This ball was great off the driver. It felt so smooth and I didn't have much trouble with side spin. I think I only hooked one drive all day with it. I think this was my favorite part of this ball's performance.

Overall- I thought this was a great ball. I really like the way I could stick the greens with it and have confidence behind that. I really like the Nike Tour One, but I am contemplating picking up a box of these. The price it a bit steep, but I think the performance is worth the price. I have been really impressed with the ball offerings that Nike has put up lately. I think they have really stepped it up in the past year in the golf market.

How was durability for you?

How was durability for you?

They did great. I lost all three during the 18. I did it a cart path with one and it barely even scuffed it up. I was sorta frustrated at loosing two of them right off the fairway. The third loss was a legit hook in to a pond. :beat-up:

They did great. I lost all three during the 18. I did it a cart path with one and it barely even scuffed it up. I was sorta frustrated at loosing two of them right off the fairway. The third loss was a legit hook in to a pond. :beat-up:

Thanks. I'll add these to my list. I'm going to try and find one ball to play all the time in the next couple weeks. I always play ProV1x's, but I'm thinking there is a better ball for my game out there.

Thanks. I'll add these to my list. I'm going to try and find one ball to play all the time in the next couple weeks. I always play ProV1x's, but I'm thinking there is a better ball for my game out there.

I definitely say try a sleeve out. SethO said the Pentas really preform too. I would put those on your list too.

I definitely say try a sleeve out. SethO said the Pentas really preform too. I would put those on your list too.

I've played the Pentas they're great. My buddy I play most of my rounds with is a TM staffer so he has tons of Pentas. I'm actually waiting for him to get the Penta 322's in so I can try those out. He should be getting them any day now.

I've played the Pentas they're great. My buddy I play most of my rounds with is a TM staffer so he has tons of Pentas. I'm actually waiting for him to get the Penta 322's in so I can try those out. He should be getting them any day now.
I play the Penta's too. They are the best ball for my game.

Maybe it's just me here, but I thought these felt like rocks of the clubface. Almost Pinnacle like.

Last edited:
I really need to find a box of these to give them a try (I am turning into a Nike junkie - hehe)

I am watching the Telus WOrld Skins game that is on right now from Banff Alberta.All he players are micked up and Stephen Ames was just talking to Anthony Kim and says he uses the 20xi-s Diamond. Says it is a new ball with a extra cover to make it have more spin.

I also play ProV1x's, but decided to give the Nike a try. I've played through 3 sleeves of the 20XI-x and was very impressed with it through my entire game. Very good control, stays on line, great flight, stop and drop, and even some substantial backspin on some soft and fast greens. Alas, it just doesn't feel right on my full wedge and greenside shots. Also feels too clicky off my milled putter face. After giving them a fair shot over the last few weeks, I went back to the Titleists today. Biggest difference is off the putter and wedges again, but I haven't ruled out 20XI just yet.

Maybe it's just me here, but I thought these felt like rocks of the clubface. Almost Pinnacle like.

That is extremely surprising.

I can't see how a ball with so much softness to it would feel so hard of the club face.
Could it be a swing speed issue?

I've played both the 20XI-s and x and neither felt hard off the club face to me. To me, they felt similar to other premium balls like the ProV etc.

Yeah, that's why I said maybe it's just me. I was with a friend at Golf Galaxy and we were messing around on the monitor just hitting a couple balls, and I guess they just felt hard to me for some reason. Haven't really given them a second chance, so maybe it was just the club I was using. It was some old 3 wood I'm pretty sure.

I'll probably pick up another sleeve for a second chance tomorrow.

I'm intrigued by these balls I never tried them yet . I love the srixon trispeed tour . I would think they are cheaper costing ball that are as good as the Nike any thoughts from someone who has tried both

Sent from my iPhone

The 20XI is a hell of a ball! I had some of my best holes with these balls, the only draw back is I will pull a horrible slice sometimes and it hurts losing these balls... Especially due to the price... i am always caught between these and my pentas. I like the 20XI off the driver the Penta slightly more everywhere else... 20XI's are definately a bit more durable and most important great feel off of each stick in the bag, Im not at the point where I can fully control my spins on greens but I will say that when I get a great shot in... it does stop on greens pretty damn well!

Nova Stand Bag:
Driver: Burner 2.0 SF TP 9.5 S Shaft
Wood: Burner 2.0 SF 3Wood S Shaft
Hybrid: Burner SF 2.0 18° S Shaft
Irons: Burner 2.0 4-PW,AW
Wedge: xFT 56°, (VOKEY 60°)
Putter: Ghost TM-110 34"
Ball: Penta

Hey Jeff, I agree... Both felt similar to most premium balls I use Pentas the only ball I really didnt like from first swing is the ProV1X it to me felt way too hard. Definately Nike put out a good ball!

I bought a sleeve of these at Martin's PGA Superstore this weekend while I was at Myrtle Beach. I typically play the Taylormade Penta during the Summer and switch to the Bridgestone RX during the cooler months. Last summer I bought 2 dozen of the Nike One Tour D balls and I had just been playing them occassionally when I was out of Penta's or RX's but the past 2 months I feel like I am missing WAY too many fairways off the tee with the Penta so I switched to the Nike One Tour D and have been shooting consistently better scores. So after having a good experience with that ball and the Nike Vapors in the past I felt I would give the Nike 20XI-X a try.

Most of the time when I read technology ads I try to see if what you see is what you get. My experience with the 20XI-X is just what it says. I seem to pick up maybe 5 yards off the tee over the Penta's and One Tour D's. I felt the 20XI ball flight was just about perfect on approach shots and penetrating off the tee. I could hit it high or low and it seems to have a little more spin than the Tour D. As far as feel goes it seems to feel softer to me on full shots but a little more firm while putting. It's not so much feel but sound that seems to be firmer.

I have been to a live Bridgestone ball fitting 2 times now and all three of the balls I have played previously are fine for my game according to Bridgestone but all 3 have things I like differently. But the Nike 20XI seems to be a very good fit for my game at the present because the one thing that I absolutely love about this ball is, it goes where you hit it. I feel it spins when you want it to spin and it goes dead straight when you need it to most just like the NIke Vapor but with the feel and control of the Tour D. It has the spin and stopping power close to the Penta but not quite as spinny. So all in all I'm going to give this ball a thorough work out the rest of this season and see if I can shoot lower scores with it's help. It seems to be a ball that works well for me off the Tee and has enough of the Penta's amazing short game properties to help me get it close when I'm inside 100 yards. If you haven't given these balls a try and you were a fan of the Tour D's then do yourself a favor and pick up a sleeve. I know I'm pretty happy I gave them a shot.

If you haven't given these balls a try and you were a fan of the Tour D's then do yourself a favor and pick up a sleeve. I know I'm pretty happy I gave them a shot.

That is just what I wanted to hear, I have one ball that I plan on trying out. I really like the One Tour / D so am hoping that these will be just as good for me

I picked up a dozen of these today. I can't wait to put them into play tomorrow.

I might as well throw my .02 in. For me, I also felt like the 20XI (both X and S) are hard as rocks with the putter and I really don't like that. I also feel that the Penta is longer and creates more spin. The 20XI is a great ball, definitely in my top 3, but isn't a primary choice for me.

Back